Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Gus Hobbleton posted:

my secret to quitting smoking is to lose all sources of income so you have to choose between smoking and food. also being genetically predisposed against nicotine addiction helps

suckas

smoking is an appetite suppressant though

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Trig Discipline posted:

little known fact: astronauts are primarily chosen for being so intolerable that their superiors don't want to share a planet with them. they only pretend it's an honor so the dumbfucks will go

i fakken hate this guy and wish he would drop dead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poZCINzxzrQ

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

what i never figured out about this teleporter sniper rifle is why they even need a rifle at all. if they have the ability to teleport a bullet just to the other side of someone's personal shield, why can't they just teleport a tribble into their brain cavity or something

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Sagebrush posted:

what i never figured out about this teleporter sniper rifle is why they even need a rifle at all. if they have the ability to teleport a bullet just to the other side of someone's personal shield, why can't they just teleport a tribble into their brain cavity or something

yeah it's really dumb. star trek is a garbage show for idiot children.

Afinostux
Dec 26, 2012

The ability to selectively teleport matter is likely more effective/deadly than lasers anyhow. Just make a gun that grabs a melon sized chunk of matter and teleports it 2cm in a random direction. Good luck building armor against that, too

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

hell yeah

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

transporters are universe breaking so they just ignore all of the worst offenses (most of the time)

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Afinostux posted:

The ability to selectively teleport matter is likely more effective/deadly than lasers anyhow. Just make a gun that grabs a melon sized chunk of matter and teleports it 2cm in a random direction. Good luck building armor against that, too

teleport a melon sized chunk of a wasp nest to the shitter nearest the bridge

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
teleport a dead fish to a locked but not sealed equipment closet

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
teleport their starship keys to your keychain

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

teleport sexy crewmembers onto the other ship, destroying productivity

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

teleport banana peels everywhere

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

teleport their replicator away and replace it with one that only makes balloon animal versions of what was requested

Afinostux
Dec 26, 2012

Teleport plastic wrap over every toilet bowl

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Elder Postsman posted:

yeah it's really dumb. star trek is a garbage show for idiot children.

there are a shitload of eps of star trek that are gold

deep space nine took a while to get going and poo poo it's been like twenty years or so but

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

teleport really nasty lookin turds into the toilets

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

teleport three chickens labeled 1 2 and 4 onto the bridge

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

because theyll spend a bunch of time looking for chicken #3 you see

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

syscall girl posted:

i fakken hate this guy and wish he would drop dead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poZCINzxzrQ

i'll fight you irl

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

google glass deployment goin well

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

no dont fall for it

Afinostux
Dec 26, 2012

Eagerly awaiting the first person to go to a conference where everyone is wearing goog glass and goatse the entire room by yelling instructions to the glasses.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I saw Edge of Tomorrow. it was pretty bad. Groundhog Day with spacemonsters.

lots of stuff blowing up and some cool alien monsters, but very light on the sci-fi.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Shaggar posted:

transporters are universe breaking so they just ignore all of the worst offenses (most of the time)

what's insane is that "the transporter is too good" was a known quantity decades ago. people already figured out that star trek was relying too much on "the away party gets bonked on the head, or super-aliens overpower the enterprise, so scotty can't just yank 'em out of the jeopardy of the week".

and what do TNG and the follow-on series do? they add even more poo poo the transporter can do. and even worse they make it a trivially miniaturizable thing, so you can pack transporters onto shuttlecraft, or into a rifle (???), or into a little loving lapel pin (?????????)

and then voyager somehow got bored with that and went all "ADD MORE CORES HOLOGRAMS!! :pseudo:"

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

theflyingexecutive posted:

teleport sexy crewmembers onto the other ship, destroying productivity

ah poo poo i just realized my wife is an enemy agent

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

teleport a horse into the dean's office

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

oh, now I get it

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

ol qwerty bastard posted:

i'll fight you irl
i think syscall girl may have been joking there actually.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
im reading a sci fi book. calssic. i am ejoy

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
see Ian M. Banks got teleporters right

ships have to teleport millions of decoys in and spend the entire time waging cyber warfare, there's a good example in the book where the main badguy has like 20 dicks

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

And its all over by the time the human crew is even aware what's going on.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

AlsoD posted:

see Ian M. Banks got teleporters right

ships have to teleport millions of decoys in and spend the entire time waging cyber warfare, there's a good example in the book where the main badguy has like 20 dicks

he's not a bad guy he's just a plot device, unless i missed something. also he has way more dicks than that

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

scalded schlong posted:

he's not a bad guy he's just a plot device, unless i missed something. also he has way more dicks than that

no you're right, just been a while since i read it. i thought he went up to a few hundred and then decided that it wasn't really worth it and went back down to 20?

nightbae smokewheat
Feb 11, 2011

scalded schlong posted:

he has way more dicks than that

same

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

AlsoD posted:

no you're right, just been a while since i read it. i thought he went up to a few hundred and then decided that it wasn't really worth it and went back down to 20?

i think it was 57

but yeah trek really hosed up the teleporter bad, jjtrek almost got it right when they made it so you had to be standing still and it took like 20 seconds to work and if you moved during that time you were hosed, only a savant was actually able to teleport moving people. then they made it so you can teleport across the loving galaxy and it took like 2 seconds for the second movie. banks got it right with the displacer in that you have to be curled up into a tiny ball half the time for it to work, and there was that 1 in 6 million or whatever chance of it just outright killing you, and that was with a loving godlike hyper intelligence at the controls

Gus Hobbleton fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 7, 2014

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Trig Discipline posted:

little known fact: astronauts are primarily chosen for being so intolerable that their superiors don't want to share a planet with them. they only pretend it's an honor so the dumbfucks will go

Golgafrinchan Space Program

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

teleport their replicator away and replace it with one that only makes balloon animal versions of what was requested

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Davethulhu posted:

teleport a horse into the dean's office

KHAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNN! Ceti Alpha House has pulled their last prank!

• Locked thread