Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EuphrosyneD
Jan 25, 2004
So, actual Nintendo news: They're closing their headquarters in Grossostheim, Germany, and consolidating all their European interests in Frankfurt, laying off 130 employees in the process.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/06/nintendo-closes-european-headquarters-building-sacks-130-employees/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Oh Reggie, I want to believe!

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Astro7x posted:

Oh Fils you taunting son of a bitch

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

EuphrosyneD posted:

So, actual Nintendo news: They're closing their headquarters in Grossostheim, Germany, and consolidating all their European interests in Frankfurt, laying off 130 employees in the process.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/06/nintendo-closes-european-headquarters-building-sacks-130-employees/

Those 130 employees worked at their main EU warehouse, which was also in Grossostheim and is also closing. They're supposedly cutting more than 100 localization staff from the Frankfurt office too, and will be contracting out a lot of future localizations.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Astro7x posted:

The dude is clearly trying to do the most with the deck that's been handed to him.

Yep, he's clearly little more than an American PR flack for NCL, given heavy responsibility for carrying out their decisions with little to no say over those decisions. He's said some stupid things, of course, but I feel kinda sorry for him when he has to pretend that Arkham City Armored Edition is a strong example of Western third-party support.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Reggie actually makes me laugh on stage, and he's miles above" girl wood" so uhh hes great

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

Barry Convex posted:

I feel kinda sorry for him when he has to pretend that Arkham City Armored Edition is a strong example of Western third-party support.

well thats literally his job sooo

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

EuphrosyneD posted:

Maybe they got fired for taking too long to translate SMT4.

E: Also, what happened to Japanese companies never firing anyone? I'm sure that's been discussed in this thread.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
All that "REGGINATOR!" crap started because he debuted at E3 2004, which was an amazing show for Nintendo and he got the credit for it after years of lackluster showings. Now he's pretty much Chuck Norris... hasn't done anything cool in forever but the internet still won't shut up about him because it was funny for five minutes like a decade ago

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Pretty much every Reggie interview ever is him stiffly stating a pre-approved party line with a weird mixture of condescension and embarassment.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

The_Frag_Man posted:

E: Also, what happened to Japanese companies never firing anyone? I'm sure that's been discussed in this thread.

It's another layer of the mystique people have constructed around Nintendo.

Companies are not obliged to care about foreign employees, and Nintendo is no exception.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Astro7x posted:

I can't even tell what that's supposed to be.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

surf rock posted:

I can't even tell what that's supposed to be.

It's a rendition of Samus from Metroid 1, but they've been wearing pins like those for some time now and they sadly have no relevance to whatever's being announced or talked about.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Here's Nintendo's E3 broadcast schedule according to Twitch:

quote:

Tuesday 6/10 PT:

9:00am - Nintendo Digital Event
2:40pm - Nintendo (Unannounced title)
4:00pm - Super Smash Bros. Invitational (Nintendo)

Wednesday 6/11 PT:

2:10pm - Nintendo (Unannounced title)

Thursday 6/12 PT:

12:00pm - Nintendo (Unannounced title)
2:40pm - Nintendo (Unannounced title)

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/465807/features/your-essential-e3-2014-calendar/

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

They've got a lot more than that. They're streaming the entire convention long on their own Twitch channel, with gameplay demos and interviews. I'll post those full schedule sheets sometime this weekend but I'm already cramming work all weekend as is. Maybe I'll sneak it in before I go to sleep tonight I dunno.

You'll definitely want the sheets handy because games sometimes appear on different streams within the same hour so you should be prepared to hop around if you want to see everything.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Twitch has since revised their schedule; the four Nintendo slots now just read "Nintendo Demo." So I wouldn't assume there are going to be as many as four unannounced games, at least in playable form.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Reggie is an awesome PR person and a terrible CEO. He's identifiable and recognizable but makes some terrible decisions sometimes. Not that Iwata is any better.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Four unannounced titles, one of which let's assume is Mario Maker. Any guesses on the other three?

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Four unannounced titles, one of which let's assume is Mario Maker. Any guesses on the other three?

The Mario Galaxy team is working on something that wasn't ever announced. Retro too probably, and I'd love for it to be a Metroid but I have my doubts.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I love this optimism about real games being announced. We all know the big reveal will be some fitness tracker that's actually a rebranded tamagotchi

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Luigi Maker
Wii U Vitality Sensor
Nintendoland 2

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Most probably a new Zelda game.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Cyra posted:

Most probably a new Zelda game.

That was announced though

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Gonna guess we'll also see a release announcement for DS games on Wii U. Maybe the announcement of something like Gamecube games, too.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Kewpuh posted:

That was announced though

When?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
They said they would be talking about a new Zelda at this E3 but it was never "announced"

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

January 2013.

http://au.ign.com/articles/2013/01/23/new-hd-zelda-revealed-for-wii-u

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Kewpuh posted:

The Mario Galaxy team is working on something that wasn't ever announced. Retro too probably, and I'd love for it to be a Metroid but I have my doubts.

One the one hand I want a new Retro Metroid game more than anything, on the other hand if they announce it I'll jizz myself to death.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Nuts and Gum posted:

I love this optimism about real games being announced. We all know the big reveal will be some fitness tracker that's actually a rebranded tamagotchi

Nintendo never goes all-in on more than one gimmick at a time, we already have something like that announced, and all the slots are for things that haven't been announced.

I'm pretty sure this isn't going to turn Nintendo's fortunes around but I have a feeling they're gonna have some neat stuff at E3. Just because a company makes bad decisions sometimes doesn't mean every single decision they ever make is bad.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

They probably have more than 4 unannounced projects but the majority of them would be for 3DS. I already made my guesses earlier but I'll repeat them.

For 3DS: all first-tier IPs have entries on 3DS now, so second tier IPs would be next (WarioWare/Land, Punch Out, for example).
For WiiU: beyond what we already know, not expecting much. Animal Crossing seems to make the most sense since they've already made HD models of all the villagers for the Animal Crossing Plaza. DS and N64 Virtual Console release dates. smaller eShop-only games (like Pushmo World is).

So.. The Game That Will Spearhead Their NFC Project, then Hyrule Warriors, X, Bayonetta 2, Zelda U (trailer), Animal Crossing U, SMT x Fire Emblem (if it's not vaporware), Smash Bros, Mario Kart 8 (yes it's already out but I guarantee you it will be on the show floor), Pushmo World, NDS VC. That's what Wii U gets.

And another Mario RPG wouldn't surprise me too. As long as it's Alphadream and not IntSys.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I think when some people said "Just wait until you see how the PS4 fares!" last year they weren't actually hoping it would do as bad as it's doing in Japan signaling the general death of consoles over there. Like you still need some sort of anchor to keep things stable.

It's funny when everyone saying iPhone/iPad will never make it big in Japan, even their own Japanese mobile operators were saying the same thing, and fast forward Apple is murdering everything in Nipponland.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

They probably have more than 4 unannounced projects but the majority of them would be for 3DS. I already made my guesses earlier but I'll repeat them.

For 3DS: all first-tier IPs have entries on 3DS now, so second tier IPs would be next (WarioWare/Land, Punch Out, for example).
For WiiU: beyond what we already know, not expecting much. Animal Crossing seems to make the most sense since they've already made HD models of all the villagers for the Animal Crossing Plaza. DS and N64 Virtual Console release dates. smaller eShop-only games (like Pushmo World is).

So.. The Game That Will Spearhead Their NFC Project, then Hyrule Warriors, X, Bayonetta 2, Zelda U (trailer), Animal Crossing U, SMT x Fire Emblem (if it's not vaporware), Smash Bros, Mario Kart 8 (yes it's already out but I guarantee you it will be on the show floor), Pushmo World, NDS VC. That's what Wii U gets.

And another Mario RPG wouldn't surprise me too. As long as it's Alphadream and not IntSys.

On 3DS, still no Metroid. I'm not hopeful though, my understanding of Japanese companies is that Sakamoto probably still has control of it if he wants it, so we're likely to get creepy rear end Other M poo poo on that front.

Also would Sakurai have started on his next thing now that Smash is close to done? We might hear about a new Kid Icarus or something. Wii U Kid Icarus would be pretty fantastic.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It's not close to done, the Wii U version won't be out until Winter and I'm sure there are DLC plans REGARDLESS OF WHAT SAKURAI SAID IN AN INTERVIEW A YEAR AGO so don't bring it up!! And after that, dude's probably gonna fuckin take a nap for a few months. Hibernate.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm cautiously optimistic about the E3 stuff, I'm expecting a slew of 3DS poo poo, hopefully its stuff I actually want. :v:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Nuts and Gum posted:

No, they already said they aren't doing the QoL stuff at E3.

However I don't think there's four unannounced titles, that's a really dumb assumption to make. 4 video streams? 4 unannounced WiiU titles of course!

That's forgetting 1) 3DS also exists, 2) there are a ton of announced titles we've seen that haven't been shown in playable form yet.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Palladium posted:

It's funny when everyone saying iPhone/iPad will never make it big in Japan, even their own Japanese mobile operators were saying the same thing, and fast forward Apple is murdering everything in Nipponland.

The only force greater than Japanese isolationism and xenophobia is their lust for a better cell phone.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Just announce MK8 downloadable poo poo and let me buy it before you disintegrate Nintendo

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

Crowbear posted:

Reggie is terrible and always has been. He's the meme-spouting PR mascot for a branch of the company with absolutely no autonomy. And a lot of Nintendo fans buy into it! I wish I could understand why. I don't think I've ever seen an interview with him where he didn't come off as a sleazy shyster.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
What more could you want? *said with Reggie shrugs meme and slight stumbling over words*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Instead of arguing about Reggie, you guys need to just play the games!

• Locked thread