Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Did he abstract breeding such that animal populations will re-populate in fortress mode instead of being hunted to extinction in a matter of years?

That sounds familiar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

He did. That bit got done in last September. Fishing a lake barren was the biggest problem, but all the other animal populations regenerate themselves too.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Invaders can climb and jump now so that by itself is going to go a long way to shaking up fortress designs. That plus being able to give the AI control of your fort are going to do more than people think.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Has anyone come up with a strategy to cope with climbing invaders yet? I forget the details of how it works. :(

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Lawman 0 posted:

Has anyone come up with a strategy to cope with climbing invaders yet? I forget the details of how it works. :(

Two levels high walls with overhang on the third?

What might be more problematic is if you like carving your entrance into a mountainside and build a couryard out front, you'll need to be extra careful about not leaving any entrances from above.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Lawman 0 posted:

Outer wall, lava moat, inner wall (beyond jumping distance)

Lava solves everything.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Gibbo posted:

Outer wall, lava moat, inner wall (beyond jumping distance)

Lava solves everything.

It especially solves the problem of overpopulation and general population in your fortress.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Michaellaneous posted:

It especially solves the problem of overpopulation and general population in your fortress.

I prefer to think of it as FPS optimization.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Gibbo posted:

I prefer to think of it as FPS optimization.

A drawbirdge is a FPS optimization.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Michaellaneous posted:

A drawbirdge is a FPS optimization.

The opposite. Everything destroyed by drawbridges still exists in a weird way, and remains a FPS drain.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

I honestly don't know anymore. I found something in Bay12 a month or so ago that said the complete opposite.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

I wish we got at least one big thing for Fortress mode like guilds or a magic system or religion or something.

There's this:

quote:

• Player fortresses can now be non-destructively retired.*
▬ Retired fortresses behave as NPC fortresses but retain other information
▬ Retired fortresses can be reclaimed.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Lawman 0 posted:

I forget the specifics but hasn't Toady said there's going to be some sort of wall that isn't climbable? Like... block walls or something?

woytaz
Jun 13, 2010

hailthefish posted:

I forget the specifics but hasn't Toady said there's going to be some sort of wall that isn't climbable? Like... block walls or something?

I think he said smooth walls (smoothed natural or constructed from blocks) can't be climbed (or are much harder to climb?) and rough walls can.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

That feature list for the release seems so underwhelming for 2 years work

A lot of it is extremely summarized & misses some features outright, which makes it look pretty short on paper. Also he's kinda sliding over to his actual main goal with Dwarf Fortress, simulating a fantasy world, which apparently is way more work than throwing things into fortress mode.

ful
Sep 16, 2012

Grimey Drawer

woytaz posted:

I think he said smooth walls (smoothed natural or constructed from blocks) can't be climbed (or are much harder to climb?) and rough walls can.

I can't believe I've never thought of just digging out my outdoor walls instead of taking the time to construct them. :downs:

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff

ful posted:

I can't believe I've never thought of just digging out my outdoor walls instead of taking the time to construct them. :downs:

Oh jesus I feel retarded now

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

ful posted:

I engrave the outer wall from the entrance to 2 z-levels above it, because I like the mental image of an approaching group of traders or immigrants spotting the massive carved wall in the distance.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
My plan for an unclimbable fortress would be to minimize overground presence to a small square and a set of towers slightly outside each wall accessible only through underground tunnels with inward facing fortifications and filled with marksdwarves.

Excuse the terrible mspaintness:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
play with aquafers on, watch digging goblins drown as they try to dig past it to your fort

main entrance moved from surface to just below aquifer, no walls to climb.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

IT'S OUT! ahaaa gently caress you idiots of course it's just a devlog that's out

Toady One posted:

Here's a video interview I did with Matt Mirrorfish for his NewbQuest project: page with audio and video. Everything continues to proceed apace. Various dwarfy map fixes and dwarfy position fixes and so on, concerning magma smelters and not needing a bookkeeper in every hill settlement, that sort of thing.

In a fit of ambition, I had my character declare lordship over a village to a farmer in a cottage. I then graciously offered up my position as leader of the new entity to him, an honor which he accepted. Now unemployed, I asked to become one of his guards. He said I wasn't worthy enough yet, which I thought was sort of ungrateful. Unfortunately, I think he might try to stage an actual site takeover at some point, or move his new entity into a ruin. I wonder if the game has become odd. Eventually people will have to develop more sense about their life goals.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

scamtank posted:

I wonder if the game has become odd.

:psyduck: Noooo, Toady. Dwarf Fortress is the sanest, most normal game project in the history of mankind. Absolutely nothing odd here. Move along.

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

bye bye everybody bye bye!
Would carving out a channel and then building walls on the "close" side of the channel be enough to keep out climbers? Or will they jump down into the ditch and climb the dirt wall there and then the stone wall?

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD

Asehujiko posted:

My plan for an unclimbable fortress would be to minimize overground presence to a small square and a set of towers slightly outside each wall accessible only through underground tunnels with inward facing fortifications and filled with marksdwarves.

Excuse the terrible mspaintness:

:eng101: Bastions not bunkers, I believe

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

TremendousMajestic posted:

Would carving out a channel and then building walls on the "close" side of the channel be enough to keep out climbers? Or will they jump down into the ditch and climb the dirt wall there and then the stone wall?

For the same trouble, you might as well just line the moat walls with slick limestone bricks. You go down, but you don't come up!

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

scamtank posted:

IT'S OUT! ahaaa gently caress you idiots of course it's just a devlog that's out

Dwarf Fortress : Eventually people will have to develop more sense about their life goals.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

The previous animations reminded me of this old one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1kBedai-rk

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

TOOT BOOT posted:

I wish we got at least one big thing for Fortress mode like guilds or a magic system or religion or something.

I would be happy if I could build temples and queue throwing a party (festivals) or just burning a witch to boost morale.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Did he abstract breeding such that animal populations will re-populate in fortress mode instead of being hunted to extinction in a matter of years?

Or fish? Do fish not die off anymore??

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

TremendousMajestic posted:

Surely if its deep enough they'll be too crippled to climb?

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Suicide Sam E. posted:

I would be happy if I could build temples and queue throwing a party (festivals) or just burning a witch to boost morale.

This is a good idea. Public executions are dwarfy as gently caress.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Suicide Sam E. posted:

dragon_pamcake posted:

This is a good idea. Public executions are dwarfy as gently caress.

I've never liked the idea of executing my own dwarves, but goblins and other enemy prisoners are all fair game of course.

I think my next fortress's dining room will have a set of dining tables arranged to surround a circular clear glass wall, inside of which is a 2/7 depth of magma, into which all captured prisoners are dropped from one Z-level above so that they don't die from the fall but instead are burned alive.

Something like this:

pre:
      ccccccc 
    c TTTTTTT c
    TTTXXXXXTTT
 cTTTXXX   XXXTTTc
 cTXXX       XXXTc
  TX           XT
cTTX           XTTc
cTXX           XXTc
cTX             XTc
cTX    MAGMA    XTc
cTX             XTc
cTXX           XXTc
cTTX           XTTc
  TX           XT
 cTXXX       XXXTc
 cTTTXXX   XXXTTTc
    TTTXXXXXTTT
    c TTTTTTT c
      ccccccc

c=chair
T=table
X=clear glass wall
Dinner and a show!

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
That's..... beautiful. I am now forced to steal your idea for my next fort, though I'll probably gently caress it up and flood the fort with magma.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Jazzimus Prime posted:

I've never liked the idea of executing my own dwarves, but goblins and other enemy prisoners are all fair game of course.

I think my next fortress's dining room will have a set of dining tables arranged to surround a circular clear glass wall, inside of which is a 2/7 depth of magma, into which all captured prisoners are dropped from one Z-level above so that they don't die from the fall but instead are burned alive.

Something like this:

Dinner and a show!

Urist McMuncher cancels Eat: Interrupted by melting goblin pikeman.

...Is what it would say if you used clear glass windows. Walls are opaque no matter what material you make them from.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Exactly the point. You do want people to enjoy their meals without running scared.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
So we should have the next version by July then? Cool, can't wait to play the playable release in February!

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So my first game with the updated Masterwork version is already turning out to be batshit insane. Trigger warning for :words:.

So I made a world using the Icy Myr setup. Meaning ninety percent of the world is a deadly icy hellhole that can barely support life above ground. Then I chose the warlocks as my starting civ since their showstopping bugs are fixed.

Poking around the world gen records I exported I discovered the last warlock civ had one place left to their name. It was a tomb at the far edge of the map surrounded by some of the coldest and most inhospitable places possible. Interspersed throughout the world history were 75 warlocks, all of which I assume were immortal and extremely badass.

So I figured this must be the hub of their activity, being that they need some place to group up at. So I show up with like 50 prisoners and the usual starters, along with 3 black monoliths to raise the dead and 3 control pylons to control them. I expected to see a lot of friendly warlocks and their thralls when I showed up. What I got was a bit different.

The first thing I noticed that the place was completely deserted. The second was that the layout of the place was odd. There were five towers. One massive one, and four symmetrically placed at each corner. Each of the symmetrically placed towers was literally layered with succubus bones, like some sort of great siege or something happened here way back. The whole thing was pretty odd looking, but I shrugged it off as the place not being visited by any major figures since whatever had murdered everything rampaged through the place.

Upon entering the tower though, things got a bit crazy as several things happened almost at once.

The first thing was that a group of wandering gnolls followed my prisoners (Who were hauling the food to an interior location.) inside to try and snack on them. The second was that something simply appeared in the main hall I had designated as a meeting place. That something was a loving zombified deity by the name of Hell Heyl. Heyl was a humanoid gigantic gila monster who had decided that first my gnolls, and then the prisoners were suitable sacrifices to its gaping maw.

Also, the zombified deity turned out to have several traits. One of which is that anything that died near it was reanimated to hunger for the flesh of the living. Cue dozens of severed limbs strangling the life out of everyone but the warlocks, who just kind of looked on while bemused and confused as to what the gently caress was happening, before going back to pasturing the control pylons in the central tower to get it and the horde of newly created zombies under control.

So since I have a zombie proto-dragon-god rolling around the place, gulping down the mortal races, I figured i'd check to see just whose god this is. This is what I found in my Warlock civ's file:

quote:

The Decisive Spew, Warlocks
Worship List
Zebd, deity: chaos, war, death, deformity, disease
Kabews Secretiveroasted, deity: nightmares
Nadej the Swimming Flight of Tundras, deity: dreams, the night, the moon, the sky, the weather, nature, water, sacrifice
Kedheb Poisonterrified, deity: torture
Nwer Fountainlone, deity: treachery, trickery, lies, twilight, the dawn
Helm, deity: dusk
Rewy Counsellormothered the Carmine Zephyrs, deity: writing, poetry
Heyl, deity: thralldom
Nebwha, deity: wisdom
Mker Brazencrumbling the Eerieness of Ditches, deity: misery
Aketshaf Championtruths the Special Discoveries, deity: rumors, fame, scholarship
Mesabeu, deity: victory, mist
Ued the Veiled Webs, deity: darkness
Liedmidnight, deity: murder
Meg Hamer, deity: persuasion, rulership
Jenaz, deity: suicide
Tawen, deity: depravity, lust, blight
Shefu, deity: fate
Sekyen the Conflicted Bites, deity: revenge

The tomb wasn't the base of operations for the last of the warlocks. It was something far different. It was the Dwarf Fortress equivalent of a structure sized weapon of mass destruction designed to last over the span of centuries. It turns out the last of the warlocks died a long time ago in a great war with a succubus nation called the Cancerous Vices (Also, :stonk: at the implications behind that name.). Instead, this tomb was their last great work. Their greatest leaders and gods were entombed in it after their deaths, presumably to await the day that some necromancer would come along to resurrect them. All it would have taken is one necromancer walking through the front door and they'd have at least one unstoppable god at their command. Unfortunately since they were wiped out not long after that never happened.

The place is built like the climax of some sort of cliche RPG. It's situated in the most hostile place in the game world, contains enough high end weapons to ruin a civilization, and every latter day general and would be god in their civilization is entombed somewhere in its depths.

To put it in perspective how crazy this place is, Heyl alone has almost one thousand and six hundred kills to his name. Three hundred or so of which were major historical figures in the generated world. In the closing days of the extinction of the warlocks he apparently bumrushed the Cancerous Vices' capital and murdered every single loving thing there except for a frost giant that died soon after. In fact, given that I can't make a character in their nation, I believe he and the other gods actually succeeded in wiping them out as a last gently caress you to them destroying their civilization.

It turns out those succubus skeletons weren't some sort of weird decoration choice, they were the last of the civilization getting burnt to the loving ground by the tomb's last defenders. Who apparently fought to the last man to defend their fallen gods after both sides trekked through one of the most lethal regions in the game.

And if you're wondering why both sides were finally wiped out in that last fight, consider that the Cancerous Vices had this weird fetish where they'd dig up the corpses of their enemies, mutilate them, and then add them to totem poles in their cities. So when they showed up at the last bastion of the warlocks, now almost solely populated by their mortal slaves and servants, the last few dozen of them got slaughtered in the ensuing siege. At which point everything there either died during the siege, or died of starvation and exposure not long after from being in a icy wasteland with no food.

Which as a side note explains the bones and unlooted treasure too. Apparently my warlocks were the first people to reach the place after the battle between the two death cults/civilizations/whatever wiped each other out in one final glorious orgy of violence. They placed it so well that nothing mortal (Something most golden age races are.) could reach it without dying horribly.

So after all that, cue a thousand years later. I just resurrected one of the first of the oldest gods in the game via a buffet of slaves (His specific dominion, which makes the undead thing hilarious too.) in an age where no god slaying heroes exist. And he's friendly to the warlocks too.

Talk about a potential way to ruin that age if I could. I only wish I could venture out into the world to wreak havoc. This game takes place in the late golden ages, so I bet I could have some fun watching him turn entire cities into zombified hordes. :argh:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jun 11, 2014

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
:suspense::stonklol:

Is any else as excited as I am for new DF next month.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
You have literally awoken an ancient evil. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
That owns. Can we get a kind artist to illustrate that magnificent insanity?