Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Exercu posted:

It is a bot posting all words in the english language alphabetically. The last word was Zymurgy, but because of a coding oversight, é is further along than z. So after Zymurgy, the next word was Éclair.

Ok, didn't know about the alphabetically part. Wonder how many more we will get then. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I just thought those people were blown away that there was such a word as eclair.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Excels posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8NCigh54jg

He lived on it for 30 days, supposedly.

What's funny is the first 5-10 iterations of this that he tried made him sick, since he would add all these 'superfoods' to the mix like green tea and acai, but forgot things like iron.

Why he even bothered making this when there are literally dozens of meal-replacement and supplement drinks developed by trained, experienced dietitians and biologists is beyond me.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Excels posted:

That sorta goes against his whole mantra about how Soylent is "life after food".

How joyless must your life be if you want to cut out eating? I love cooking a delicious meal or going out with my family to a restaurant. It's so :spergin: to think eating is entirely about getting nutrition for your body. Maybe if you've had your jaws wired shut because of some horrible accident or there's some other medical reason you can't eat, but just because eating is 'hassle'?

Also, what does that stuff do to your shits? Do you even poop anymore? Isn't that going to lead to bowel cancer and other horrible things?

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
okay fatty, go love your food while I drink my superjuice

Aphtonites
Dec 25, 2012

Sure, Jailbot was broken, but
weren't we all at some point? :(

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Spalec posted:

How joyless must your life be if you want to cut out eating? I love cooking a delicious meal or going out with my family to a restaurant. It's so :spergin: to think eating is entirely about getting nutrition for your body. Maybe if you've had your jaws wired shut because of some horrible accident or there's some other medical reason you can't eat, but just because eating is 'hassle'?

Also, what does that stuff do to your shits? Do you even poop anymore? Isn't that going to lead to bowel cancer and other horrible things?

I think the guy who invented it has admitted that he was definitely on the autism spectrum and made it because he became obsessed with nutrition without eating.

Practically, it probably has great applications for people who suffer from extreme allergies or eating disorders. The thought of drinking it makes me gag, though.

made of bees
May 21, 2013

Spalec posted:

I would think a food replacement would include some sort of dietary fiber, but what do I know, that might be too inefficient.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I had no idea Northerners typed phonetically.

SpliffClavin
Jul 31, 2007

oh geez rick
We both live in the US. Fishing w/o a license is a fine and people get deported and arrested all of the time for being illegal.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SpliffClavin has a new favorite as of 17:21 on Jun 7, 2014

SpliffClavin
Jul 31, 2007

oh geez rick
Literally everything can be about the troops.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SpliffClavin has a new favorite as of 17:22 on Jun 7, 2014

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Druggachusettes posted:

broken attachments

just use imgur, goddamn

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Eponine posted:

Practically, it probably has great applications for people who suffer from extreme allergies or eating disorders. The thought of drinking it makes me gag, though.

No, because:

Dienes posted:

Why he even bothered making this when there are literally dozens of meal-replacement and supplement drinks developed by trained, experienced dietitians and biologists is beyond me.

As the guy above me said, this poo poo already exists. There are tons of people who can't or won't eat solid food, or need ultra low residue meal replacement nutrition. There is a different meal replacement goo for every situation, from regular people who just want/need a liquid diet, to weight loss aids, extreme allergy meal replacements, long term coma patients, people without a working oespophagous, cancer patients, people who have had gastric band surgery, or people who have had various parts of their intestine removed or rendered non functional.

Whatever this guy wants, it already exists in a form that has been developed scientifically by qualified experts, tested, refined and is actually functional as a meal replacement. This guy is trying to replicate those decades of work without any expertise or understanding of human nutritional needs: he's reinventing the wheel but thinks maybe circles aren't the way to go and has anyone tried a square?

also calling it Soylent is stupid unless it's either made from people or from a mixture of soy and lentils (which was the etymology for Soylent in the movie and what it was purported to be made of)

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Fatkraken posted:

also calling it Soylent is stupid unless it's either made from people or from a mixture of soy and lentils (which was the etymology for Soylent in the movie and what it was purported to be made of)

The original "soylent" was soy+lentils, but 'soylent green' specifically was supposed to be some green water plankton sludge that's been solidified. I can't remember what red and yellow were supposed to be, but I think those had already progressed away from the soy/lentil base too.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Spalec posted:

Maybe some people have different interests than you, and find cooking extremely tedious, and food itself kinda boring. If there was a simple, cheap, and effective meal replacement I'd probably never eat a normal breakfast or lunch again.

Plus, just because you want to replace some of your meals doesn't mean your a weirdo who will never eat a meal with their family.

All that said, this specific example of a meal replacement is laughably terrible.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I've been in situations where having some sort of meal replacements that didn't take up much space and didn't require refrigeration would have been great. (Or at least better than the alternative, cargo ship food made by a cook who regularly hosed up hot dogs)

Of course, there are already a number of commercially available solutions to that problem, that have been proven to reliably not kill people or damage their internal organs.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

SybilVimes posted:

I can't remember what red and yellow were supposed to be...

It varied from person to person.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

It is a good thing they used a cute Charles Schulz character to express this absurdly horrible opinion.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
loving Beagle supremest.

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax
I posted something about how dumb it is for people to be criticizing Lebron James for coming out of game 1 of the NBA Finals due to severe cramping. In the middle of all the world class athletes that I know (read: none) continuing to call him a pussy was this gem. I know for a fact this guy is being dead serious.

http://imgur.com/4Vy22Qf.jpg

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy
Any hockey player who tried to leave the ice in the Stanley cup finals for loving cramps would have been laughed out of the NHL. Baby Bronbron should take some midol and harden the gently caress up.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

LoonShia posted:

While I don't post them because this is "idiots on social media" and the people in question aren't actually being stupid, tons of people write Hawaiian Creole English phonetically too.

"small kine sesh... aurai cheeeeeeeeeeeeeee"

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Na'at posted:

Any hockey player who tried to leave the ice in the Stanley cup finals for loving cramps would have been laughed out of the NHL. Baby Bronbron should take some midol and harden the gently caress up.

I find the use of "pussy" distasteful, but let's just say that this and similar memes have definitely been alllll over my feed from my hockey enthusiast friends.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

LoonShia posted:

That's not Northern, SA1 is Swansea. Those kids are Welsh.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I find the use of "pussy" distasteful, but let's just say that this and similar memes have definitely been alllll over my feed from my hockey enthusiast friends.

I saw one of these with that dude who died and was revived and then asked to be put back in the game. I commented that hockey fans are stupid and some other person said "No, we're just tougher." Yes, I'm sure you, the fans, are much tougher than the best basketball player on earth.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Henchman of Santa posted:

I saw one of these with that dude who died and was revived and then asked to be put back in the game. I commented that hockey fans are stupid and some other person said "No, we're just tougher." Yes, I'm sure you, the fans, are much tougher than the best basketball player on earth.

Clearly we just need every fan riot to get together and just brawl it out.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Na'at posted:

Heh, you sure showed that world famous millionaire sports star.

I'm sure the NHL made you an honorary player just for this comment alone.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

Na'at posted:

Are there many hockey games played when it's 90+ degrees on the ice? The guy also took a shitload of anti-cramping pills and just physically couldn't move anymore. A dude on Twitter summed it up perfectly saying something like, every professional athlete: supporting LeBron, every dude who gets winded carrying groceries inside: calling him out.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
Trying to "play through" a cramp is a great way to get seriously injured. Kind of important for athletes to not get injured.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The simple answer is that hockey players often have a deathwish, obviously. Fanaticism goes a long way.

Go Kings.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Apogee15 posted:

Trying to "play through" a cramp is a great way to get seriously injured. Kind of important for athletes to not get injured.

Also heat stroke isn't a walk in the park either.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
A pretty thorough breakdown of what happened to Lebron. Summary: there was physically no way he could have continued playing the game.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Apogee15 posted:

He had to be carried to the bench after trying to play through it.

And Lebron doesn't have a history of histrionics like say Paul Pierce.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

1stGear posted:

A pretty thorough breakdown of what happened to Lebron. Summary: there was physically no way he could have continued playing the game.

"lol his leg was paralyzed by a cramp. Guess we know who're the real men in sports now. :smug:"

Seriously though, wow, I had no idea how bad it got. I just knew that something happened and he had to be literally carried off of the court.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.
I believe he also tried to check himself back into the game and the coach had to stop him.

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

She's not "that Mexican", Mom, she's MY Mexican. And she's...Colombian or something.
The one who needs to be mocked forever is Dwyane Wade for leaving the court in a wheelchair after a shoulder injury.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
If anything, the comparison to hockey just makes hockey players sound really dumb. I mean I dont' know the rules to either game in relation to stuff like this, but if you're at a disadvantage because of an injury, substituting you for a player that isn't is just logical.

I can't imagine that a player with a broken leg is going to play especially well.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Cleretic posted:

If anything, the comparison to hockey just makes hockey players sound really dumb. I mean I dont' know the rules to either game in relation to stuff like this, but if you're at a disadvantage because of an injury, substituting you for a player that isn't is just logical.

I can't imagine that a player with a broken leg is going to play especially well.

And the injury is likely to get worse (infected, perhaps) when you continue to use/abuse the broken limb instead of seeking medical attention.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I don't know about infection, but playing something as high impact as hockey on a broken leg sounds like a good way to never be able to walk on that leg again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Hockey as a sport is still deeply entrenched in tough-guy mentality (one of the appeals to me personally, but yeah that macro is dumb.) It was only recently that the last player not required to wear a face shield actually aged out of play. If it wasn't required to wear one (helmet/shield/mouthguard, whatever) when you signed your contract, they can't make you start. Watch "Slapshot" or Knuckles on netflix... Ones a comedy and ones a documentary, gives a lot of insight into the mentality of hockey players.

My boyfriend was almost a pro hockey player, until a torn MCL took him out for nine months of rehab and he could never recover his speed in skating. He has a full bridge, part of his ear missing and a repaired finger from where someone nearly bit it off. The game is actually really complicated, much more a game of chess than checkers, but there is a distinct element of violence and physicality.

• Locked thread