Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

kode54 posted:

I have a single band router, a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND, and it's quite stable, and only cost about $65. I didn't think I'd ever need a dual band router, much less one I'd never be able to install OpenWrt on. Mainly because the only wireless devices I have are a 3DS (g), a couple of Nook readers (g), a Nexus 4 (g), and a laptop purchased in 2010 that I already upgraded from 2.4GHz n to 2.4GHz n with bluetooth. Upgrading it to anything approaching ac would involve either replacing it entirely, or running a third antenna inside it. Oh, right, and my dad's few months old HP laptop, which has some 11n/bluetooth adapter already.

There's also a PS3, which is g, but connected to gigabit Ethernet, Wii, which I've been too cheap to buy an Ethernet adapter for, and why bother because it has just been collecting dust for years now. Oh, and my mom's Macbook, the only real Mac hardware we own, which is 11g, and rarely leaves sleep mode. My mom has the whim to use it every month or so, when she feels like looking something up. It runs 10.6.8.

I don't really see myself buying any consumer devices capable of using dual band or even just 5GHz band in the next year or so, unless I get a huge windfall. And then I'd rather just spend it on a Mac Pro, which I'd just plug into Ethernet anyway. Well, unless those rumors of Apple releasing some sort of HiDPI iMac turn out to be founded in any way, in which case I'd gladly reverse my position on buying a stationary computer that's permanently attached to a monitor.

It seems you may have missed the point of his post.

Because you have at least one G device and a single band router, everything runs at G regardless of what card it has. Single band routers are only capable of running one config, IE whatever the slowest is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
AEBS is $185. The 11ac capable Time Capsule is $100 more than that.

The AEBS is already more than I have in monthly disposable income.

And I had somehow assumed that 11g or faster always switched rates around like mad, instead of adhering to whatever the lowest common denominator is.

Huh, looks like that "everything drops to the speed of the slowest device" thing is a common misconception.

kode54 fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jun 7, 2014

EllDoubleYew
Jun 28, 2013

Hey team, I've got an early 2008 Black Macbook I picked up real cheap from a friend. It is currently running 10.6.8 but I am considering bumping it to 10.9 (or 10.10 if its capable). The machine runs remarkably fast as it is, however I own lots of apple products and having this machine tie in with my iCloud would be nice (10.6.8 does not have iCloud support). Is updating it going to render a severe loss in the machines performance?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

No, Mavericks has a few features to get more out of less memory/battery so it'll be the same, if not a bit faster. I'd say go for it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I don't think MacBooks got the 9400M until 2009, so that 2008 one probably can't run 10.8 or 10.9. I forget 10.7s requirements but I'd lean towards avoiding it cause I think those MacBooks were RAM limited while Lion was pretty resource hungry iirc.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

EllDoubleYew posted:

Hey team, I've got an early 2008 Black Macbook I picked up real cheap from a friend. It is currently running 10.6.8 but I am considering bumping it to 10.9 (or 10.10 if its capable). The machine runs remarkably fast as it is, however I own lots of apple products and having this machine tie in with my iCloud would be nice (10.6.8 does not have iCloud support). Is updating it going to render a severe loss in the machines performance?

Yeah no: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5842?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Signed, your humble google operator.

Additionally MacTracker says that the "Maximum OS" for this model is 10.7.5, I suppose that's the latest Lion release currently.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

EllDoubleYew posted:

That MacBook will run 10.8 but not anything newer. Gave my sister-in-law my old MacBook (like yours) and discovered that.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

rufius posted:

That MacBook will run 10.8 but not anything newer. Gave my sister-in-law my old MacBook (like yours) and discovered that.

Err, I thought the barrier versions were at 10.7. I think that any Mac that can run 10.8 can also run 10.9 unless you're talking unofficially.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Anything that has an Intel GMA 950 or X3100 can't have Mountain Lion or higher installed without trickery. 10.7.5 is the official cutoff for those GPUs.

There's stuff like MLPostFactor and SFOTT that will allow you to do it but I sure wouldn't trust a machine upgraded in such a manner for everyday, mission critical work.

That being said, I'm running several BOINC projects on discarded MacPro 1,1s souped up with off-the-shelf nVidia 6XX series PCIe vidcards under Mavericks and they're just dandy. They're running BOINC and nothing else, however.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 7, 2014

EllDoubleYew
Jun 28, 2013

carry on then posted:

No, Mavericks has a few features to get more out of less memory/battery so it'll be the same, if not a bit faster. I'd say go for it.

japtor posted:

I don't think MacBooks got the  until 2009, so that 2008 one probably can't run 10.8 or 10.9. I forget 10.7s requirements but I'd lean towards avoiding it cause I think those MacBooks were RAM limited while Lion was pretty resource hungry iirc.

flavor posted:

Yeah no: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5842?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Signed, your humble google operator.

Additionally MacTracker says that the "Maximum OS" for this model is 10.7.5, I suppose that's the latest Lion release currently.

rufius posted:

Okay, with that being said, would it be worth bumping to 10.7.5 for the added iCloud functionality? Or would it hinder the (already quite good) performance of the machine?

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Do a Time Machine backup of your current state, and you can try it out with the ability to roll back if you don't like it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Pivo posted:

This is going to sound really weird, but regarding the Flash problem...

Delete the following folders:
~\Library\Preferences\Macromedia\Flash Player
~\Library\Caches\Adobe\Flash Player

I promise it won't hurt anything. For some reason, deleting the cache like that cures my "Flash video is sucking hard" woes.

Thanks again for the suggestion but this didn't fix anything with my issue.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

EllDoubleYew posted:

Okay, with that being said, would it be worth bumping to 10.7.5 for the added iCloud functionality? Or would it hinder the (already quite good) performance of the machine?

Ummm I seem to recall 10.7 improved the perf on my old MacBook. Even number point releases slowed poo poo down and odd numbers seemed to improve stuff.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Snow Leopard was slower than Leopard?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

carry on then posted:

Snow Leopard was slower than Leopard?

By my recollection, yes. But I've slept since then so who the gently caress knows.

edit: I'm a terrible terrible shitposting shitlord apparently.

rufius fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 9, 2014

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
My recollection is that your recollection is wrong

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Yeah, I distinctly remember upgrading every Mac in my building because Snow Leopard was such a bump in performance.

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
Anyone own a Kanex XD? The reviews are sparse and generic, lots of mentions of "pixel bluriness" since it's 720p being stretched or something but it looks fine in the very few videos I've seen. Thoughts? Just trying to hook up a ps3 to my iMac so I can toss my TV and save space.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

In motion I thought it was fine. Most console games aren't going to render at 1080p internally anyway, so the Kanex XD was an acceptable way to play console exclusives like Uncharted, GTA V, etc. Text could have been sharper, but it didn't really bother me.

Makes sure it's a 2009 or 2010 27" iMac, though. Anything with Thunderbolt won't work with the Kanex XD.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

rufius posted:

By my recollection, yes. But I've slept since then so who the gently caress knows.

IMHO I believe your recollection is wrong as well, especially since Apple made Snow Leopard 100% Intel native code and shitcanned PowerPC emulation.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Binary Badger posted:

IMHO I believe your recollection is wrong as well, especially since Apple made Snow Leopard 100% Intel native code and shitcanned PowerPC emulation.

Went back and looked at versions. I was thinking of Lion to Mountain Lion. You're definitely right on Leopard to Snow Leopard.

edit: Apparently I'm a terrible terrible shitposting shitlord.

rufius fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 9, 2014

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Binary Badger posted:

Leopard and the Intel version of Tiger were 100% Intel native too. The emulator was only there to run legacy PowerPC apps, nothing in the base OS install required it.

Also I think it was still there in SL? You just had to click a button to download and install the emulator the first time you tried to run a PPC app. I saw that as Apple's way of testing the waters for removing it entirely, it let them collect statistics on how many users actually needed the emulator.

This is very different from how Apple handled the old 680x0 to PowerPC transition in classic MacOS in the early 1990s. I don't think they ever fully cleaned out the 68K code.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

rufius posted:

Went back and looked at versions. I was thinking of Lion to Mountain Lion. You're definitely right on Leopard to Snow Leopard.
...except Lion was considered to be slower than Snow Leopard and Mountain Lion addressed it :v:

I think people complained about 10.4's performance and blamed Dashboard back then. I can't remember Leopard other than killing brushed metal (finally!) and doing whatever other theme tweaks.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
One of those probably also eliminated the stupidest volume control that QuickTime has ever had, or at least had on Windows. You know, where they thought it would be a great idea to implement a thumbwheel control on the side of the window, that you can only drag within the range of the control itself. Just like your thumb can only move a real thumbwheel within the cutaway per swipe. Brilliant!

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Anyone noticed Spotlight Application icons getting corrupted? Mine are getting progressively replaced with Atom.io's document icon...This only happens in the system-wide spotlight (not in Spotlight within a Finder window) and only for applications...

Rebuilding the spotlight index doesn't seem to help...

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Makes sure it's a 2009 or 2010 27" iMac, though. Anything with Thunderbolt won't work with the Kanex XD.

I think I ask this question once a year or so, but has anything been invented that will allow you to use a newer iMac as a DisplayPort monitor yet? Still clinging to my 2009 'til I can duplicate this functionality.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

japtor posted:

...except Lion was considered to be slower than Snow Leopard and Mountain Lion addressed it :v:

I think people complained about 10.4's performance and blamed Dashboard back then. I can't remember Leopard other than killing brushed metal (finally!) and doing whatever other theme tweaks.

To keep the trend going. In my recollection, Mavericks is the slowest of them all :).

On a more serious note, back to the original reason I said anything. If the MacBook the previous poster commented on can in fact install ML (10.8), he should go for it. It ran just fine on the same gen hardware I had.

I did do a clean install on that device and I'm not sure how that impacts things. Does OSX suffer from the same upgrade rot that Windows does?

E: wording

rufius fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 9, 2014

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Recently aText (a text expander app) and BetterTouchTool seem to be silently quitting every time I put my computer (2014 MacBook Air) to sleep, which is pretty annoying. Anyone else have this problem and know how to fix it? I've got an okay workaround for now (I have ControlPlane set up to launch them on arrival for every one of my Contexts), but I'd rather fix the problem outright than have to cobble together something like this.

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.

In motion I thought it was fine. Most console games aren't going to render at 1080p internally anyway, so the Kanex XD was an acceptable way to play console exclusives like Uncharted, GTA V, etc. Text could have been sharper, but it didn't really bother me.

Thanks, if the Wii U doesn't have distractingly blurry text on it then the Kanex will probably lead to me never wanting to upgrade to a thunderbolt iMac. Purchasing one now!

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Any recommendation for an HTTP proxy that works on OS X? Looking for something similar to Fiddler.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

rufius posted:

To keep the trend going. In my recollection, Mavericks is the slowest of them all :).

On a more serious note, back to the original reason I said anything. If the MacBook the previous poster commented on can in fact install ML (10.8), he should go for it. It ran just fine on the same gen hardware I had.

I did do a clean install on that device and I'm not sure how that impacts things. Does OSX suffer from the same upgrade rot that Windows does?

E: wording
10.8 pulled the older Intel GPU drivers so it won't work on the 2008 MacBook, at least the black one mentioned. MacBooks didn't get the 9400M until later that year in the aluminum model, or 2009 with the redesigned white one. As far as upgrade rot it varies but I think it's generally not a big deal, and probably less so since they (iirc) switched around the installation process/options a while ago. My bigger concern is poo poo just breaking outright rather than worrying about performance issues.

Beyond the software itself though, I guess a positive side effect of a clean install (if you mean you wiped everything) is just clearing the drive out since performance should be better when fresh (other than the initial caching of a bunch of stuff).

dik-dik posted:

Recently aText (a text expander app) and BetterTouchTool seem to be silently quitting every time I put my computer (2014 MacBook Air) to sleep, which is pretty annoying. Anyone else have this problem and know how to fix it? I've got an okay workaround for now (I have ControlPlane set up to launch them on arrival for every one of my Contexts), but I'd rather fix the problem outright than have to cobble together something like this.
Look for them and sleep events in Console for some clues. Otherwise just a random thing to try, get info on both apps in the Finder and disable App Nap. I don't think that's the issue but it's an easy enough thing to test out to make sure.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Lexicon posted:

Any recommendation for an HTTP proxy that works on OS X? Looking for something similar to Fiddler.

Charles. I like it better, anyway.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Kreeblah posted:

Charles. I like it better, anyway.

Thanks. I've gotta say though - I'd have a far easier time paying for this if it wasn't a drat Java app.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

japtor posted:

Look for them and sleep events in Console for some clues. Otherwise just a random thing to try, get info on both apps in the Finder and disable App Nap. I don't think that's the issue but it's an easy enough thing to test out to make sure.

Alright I'll dig around in the Console and see what happens. Neither app shows the "Prevent App Nap" option in Get Info; what's that all about? I checked and some other apps are showing it.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

dik-dik posted:

Alright I'll dig around in the Console and see what happens. Neither app shows the "Prevent App Nap" option in Get Info; what's that all about? I checked and some other apps are showing it.

"Prevent App Nap" doesn't show up for apps that were built for the 10.9 SDK.

Are you sure your computer isn't rebooting behind your back?

dzarc
Jul 3, 2004

Stupid Newbie
So I installed Yosemite. It's working well so far. One question, will all the new versions be pushed to me via the app store or do I have to download them over explicitly via the website?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

dzarc posted:

So I installed Yosemite. It's working well so far. One question, will all the new versions be pushed to me via the app store or do I have to download them over explicitly via the website?
App Store. Enjoy the broken Developer Preview. I couldn't deal with DP1 and recommend most people wait for the public beta if they're actually interested in running beta operating systems.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

App Store. Enjoy the broken Developer Preview. I couldn't deal with DP1 and recommend most people wait for the public beta if they're actually interested in running beta operating systems.
Yeah, I dropped it on an external hard drive enclosure with an SSD in it. Can still test stuff on it as required but I'm not silly enough to replace my OS with a round 1 Dev Preview.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Mercurius posted:

Yeah, I dropped it on an external hard drive enclosure with an SSD in it. Can still test stuff on it as required but I'm not silly enough to replace my OS with a round 1 Dev Preview.
That's what I did as well, and the flakiness of iCloud syncing right now had me worried of data corruption. The most interesting aspects of Yosemite are the iOS 8 communication, which is super flaky right now as you'd expect from a beta. I also expect some visual changes like iOS 7 got during its betas, and don't feel like going along for the ride for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dzarc
Jul 3, 2004

Stupid Newbie
It's surprisingly stable for me so far. Most of the software I use still work. Granted, I had to remove my beta Chrome with the current stable version. Other than that, everything works!