Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
My kitty loves bringing me presents. She has a new toy which is a bog cork from a beer bottle. Usually when I'm on the couch she'll jump up on the back and drop it on me. Now this is fine and very sweet, but I did become startled when she substituted a cork with a large cockroach. (though having indoor cats hunt down all my cockroaches is awesome)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

might be wrong
Oct 11, 2012
So I've had my kitty for about 2 months now and her behavior's gotten weird all of a sudden.

For a month and a half she barely meowed except a couple tiny noises occasionally, and she generally slept through the night (or at least she didn't bother me). But over the past two weeks she's meowed constantly and makes all sorts of yowling noises every time she sees me. She consistently wakes me up every morning between 3 and 5AM. She'll still do this when her food and water bowls are full. And if I ignore her she starts going for the curtains and chasing nearby power cords, or whatever she thinks will get me out of bed. Some of it sounded so bad I thought she was in pain, so I took her to the vet, who said everything was physically fine. I thought she might be bored but she doesn't seem very interested in playing.

I need advice, goons. I haven't had a full night's sleep in 2 weeks :(

I guess what I want to know is:
- Is it possible for a spayed cat to still have symptoms of being in heat? She doesn't stick her butt in the air much but she tends to press her face up against everything, and once she gets started meowing it can take hours before she shuts up and calms down
- If we rule that out, how can I get her to stop doing this? It's driving us loving nuts.
- My roommate called the spray bottle 'kitty cruelty' so I've been humoring her and trying loud noises etc., but nothing's working. As far as I can tell, as long as it's not traumatizing the cat, discipline's kind of supposed to be unpleasant. Verdict?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Pinball posted:

Can any cat learn to get along with other cats?
No, sorry. Best thing you could try to guarantee is for any cat to tolerate another cat.

might be wrong posted:

So I've had my kitty for about 2 months now and her behavior's gotten weird all of a sudden.

For a month and a half she barely meowed except a couple tiny noises occasionally, and she generally slept through the night (or at least she didn't bother me). But over the past two weeks she's meowed constantly and makes all sorts of yowling noises every time she sees me. She consistently wakes me up every morning between 3 and 5AM. She'll still do this when her food and water bowls are full. And if I ignore her she starts going for the curtains and chasing nearby power cords, or whatever she thinks will get me out of bed. Some of it sounded so bad I thought she was in pain, so I took her to the vet, who said everything was physically fine. I thought she might be bored but she doesn't seem very interested in playing.

- Is it possible for a spayed cat to still have symptoms of being in heat? She doesn't stick her butt in the air much but she tends to press her face up against everything, and once she gets started meowing it can take hours before she shuts up and calms down
- If we rule that out, how can I get her to stop doing this? It's driving us loving nuts.
- My roommate called the spray bottle 'kitty cruelty' so I've been humoring her and trying loud noises etc., but nothing's working. As far as I can tell, as long as it's not traumatizing the cat, discipline's kind of supposed to be unpleasant. Verdict?
You have a recording of the yowling? Constant meowing I get, yowling less so. Offhand, my guess usually goes towards food/water/please clean litterbox/i wanna play/i want to go somewhere or eat something that's not allowed. After that, I'm not sure. I'd suggest playing with her more before bed and maybe a timed feeder. Other than that, she's a kitten, so

As for the water bottle, using it is totally fine if it's used immediately after specific actions, but random meowing isn't one of them. The problem with that is that I don't think your cat will make the association between meowing and the water bottle; it's more useful for things like the cat eating your food, jumping on a counter that's forbidden, scratching furniture, etc.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.
Good news: our kittens have been on griseofulvin for 3 weeks and their ringworm lesions are gone, for the most part. Bad news: my fiancé and I have both had ringworm lesions show up in the last 24 hours. He's got one on his neck and I have four, one on each limb. We're using bandaids and lotrimin for now and I'm going to put a blowtorch to our apartment tomorrow and clean daily after that. The difficult part is laundry because we can only do laundry for free on Saturdays, otherwise we have to pay $3 per load, which adds up quickly. I'm definitely a "sky is falling" kind of person, so I'm a little depressed and stressed over getting ringworm. I'm just trying to stay positive and hoping we don't get into some torturous cycle of constant ringworm. :sigh:

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
It'll clear up. I caught it too when Pizza had it. Just keep it clean and dry. Maybe sprinkle corn starch or baby powder on it so it doesn't get soggy under the bandages?

I also had good results using tea tree oil soap on mine as well as the medicine (mine was on my FACE because Pizza's was on his head and he is a cuddly BASTARD).

Stay strong :( hopefully your cats won't get it again, ours didn't if that's a comfort

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

might be wrong posted:

How old is she? Anecdotally I've had and met a number of cats who started late-night howling in their mid-teen years (geriatric). In my cat's case it seemed to be associated with some hearing loss, as he lost his startle instinct with loud sounds.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

might be wrong posted:

Assuming the cat is actually healthy, she may be anxious or bored, due to not understanding that humans like to be unconscious for 8 hours straight. She may be afraid you're gone and wants to be sure you're still there or just wants some attention.

Either way, this is a behavior modification situation. When I've had cats do this, I've learned that any attention at all only reinforces the behavior, as getting attention from you is the whole point. Hence any response, even discipline, is counterproductive.

I've had to learn to lie in bed completely unresponsive to the cat's behavior during the night. No matter what she does, do not respond. She'll eventually learn that you're not going to get up and play with her and quit. It's quite a nerve-wracking process, though.

If she's tearing up stuff in the bedroom, lock her out at night and let her howl at the door. This is the only way I know of for dealing with this. Maybe someone else can offer something easier or less stressful.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
So I've been strength training my cat.

I started mixing extra whey into its food, small amounts at first, just to get it used to the taste, and slightly more every meal. Right now, it's eating about 4 meals of 50% meat and 50% whey powder a day, about 50g protein total, which, for a 5kg cat is the equivalent to a human eating about 750g of protein a day.

The last 3 months I got it started on creatine, which is hasn't seemed to notice. 2-3g per day, sprinkled on top of its food.

My cat had this knitted sweater thing (I live in a cold climate, so cats often wear these things outside), which I attached small weights to. Mainly fishing sinkers. I attached them one by one, so that it wouldn't notice the additional weight. By now, my cat is wearing this 2.5kg knitted sweater around outside, climbing trees, running around, normal cat stuff.

I also feed it Vitamin D, fish oil and a multivitamin, crushed up into its water bowl.

In addition to the weighted vest training, I've started my cat on climbing this large tree in my back yard (3 sets of 5 climbs up and down, enticing it with food), and I managed to figure out a way to make it do a sort of crude bench press by turning it upside down and pushing down on its paws (3 sets of 8-10).

Cat has made decent gains so far, forelimbs are noticeably bigger, and chest has increased in size markedly so. A little extra fat (probably around 15% atm) but I plan on putting it on an EC stack and maybe Yohimbine HCL.

While these gains have been impressive so far, how can I further my cat's gains? More weight?

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
obviously weighted sled workouts and box jumps. you gotta choose the practical lifts, noob. a cat's never going to have to bench something off of him but if you can get him to pull a baby in a sled or jump ten feet, now that's money. that's america's got talent level skillz.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

dongsbot 9000 posted:

obviously weighted sled workouts and box jumps. you gotta choose the practical lifts, noob. a cat's never going to have to bench something off of him but if you can get him to pull a baby in a sled or jump ten feet, now that's money. that's america's got talent level skillz.

Thats actually not far off from what I was thinking. My end goal is for him to drag/reel in his own marlin with this set up I've made for him. Sink or swim but he isn't ready yet.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Huntersoninski posted:

It'll clear up. I caught it too when Pizza had it. Just keep it clean and dry. Maybe sprinkle corn starch or baby powder on it so it doesn't get soggy under the bandages?

I also had good results using tea tree oil soap on mine as well as the medicine (mine was on my FACE because Pizza's was on his head and he is a cuddly BASTARD).

Stay strong :( hopefully your cats won't get it again, ours didn't if that's a comfort

Thanks for the pep talk. :) Of course excessively googling about ringworm/any malady is never a good idea because there's so many worst-case-ever's out there, but I did anyway. As of right now, my daughter doesn't have it and neither does my older cat. Fingers crossed that it stays that way!

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

I had a small case of ringworm when I first got my cats from the humane society and it cleared up. It's really not that big of a deal.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Good stories about how not bad it is/can be are helpful, thank you. :)

Here's some pictures from last night:

Arya

Bran

And Taters, who dejectedly looked at the sleepy kittens from afar.

We let them out last night. Their lesions are gone and we figure that Taters is more likely to get ringworm from us than them if they're still contagious at this point and the kittens had been quarantined for a month, which we were feeling a bit bad about. He is doing his best at staying away from the kittens, but they are very curious about him. He mostly sits on his perch or hides under a bed, but if they kittens get within 2 feet of him, he growls. Fortunately, he is all meow and no bite, so there have been no scraps between them. He's raised his paw as if he might hit them, but never actually struck. I'm not sure if this is normal behavior for the first time new cats are introduced. When the kittens were still quarantined, I put all Taters food bowl against their little wall and the kitten food right on the other side so they could smell/hear each other. He's been angry with me after the kittens are around him, which I've read is redirected aggression. I've ordered more Feliway refills, but they won't be here until Tuesday. To give him some space, we kept the kittens in our bedroom last night when we went to bed and let Taters have the rest of the apartment to his own, which we will probably continue for a while.

DaisyDanger fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 7, 2014

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Hahaha that's just how Decoy was with our fosters. For 3 days I got endless bitch rage from him - he snarled and hissed every time I picked him up/looked at him/existed in the same house. It gets better. Feliway helped a lot, as did having a high place he could sit on that the kittens couldn't reach.

mephology
Jan 14, 2012

Thanks for the recommendation of Da Bird, first time we have worn out both our kitties! They love it.

might be wrong
Oct 11, 2012

When you put it that way I wouldn't really describe it as yowling so much as loud, persistent meowing. Nothing screechy-sounding. And yeah, I was thinking about using the spray bottle more for stuff that's actually destructive.

I have a feeling she might be bored, it's just a matter of finding stuff she actually likes to do. I've bought a bunch of toys and yet her favorite is still 'hair tie on a string.' Might be time to grab a laser pointer.

Thanks for this. I pretended to be asleep when she started up this morning and she gave up much sooner.

As for the noise, unfortunately I live with flatmates who aren't as willing to tough it out as I am :( Luckily I'll be home in a few weeks and I can start ignoring the scratching.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Evil Vin posted:

My girlfriend and I took in two strays last night. We've been seeing them a bunch and they're pretty friendly so we thought we should take them in. Anyway now that they're in apartment they're totally freaked out and hiding under our bed. I think they've been there for close to 16 hours. We've left food on the other side of the room and they didn't touch it even when we were sleeping. So I put out some wet food now and changed the water in hopes of coaxing them out. I know they need to get used to their new home but I'm afraid of them starving. We're about to buy them some Feliway to see if it will chill them out some.

I'm not an expert but I just wanted to reassure you that it takes a lot of time for cats to get used to new places, especially if they're used to being outside. A kitten of mine nearly spent a week under my dad's bed after we moved home and only ate tiny bites of food. My only suggestion would be to try coaxing them out every now and then with toys but don't try to overdo it to the point you annoy them. If they're not budging then just leave them alone.

They need to realize that this new place is their new territory and that there's no danger. Depending on the cat they may also try to run outside to freedom any chance they get, but don't be offended, it's just them trying to reclaim old territory. With time (I hope) they'll eventually forget about it.

e: Whoops! :downs: Looks like I replied to somebody from over a week ago again! This is why I make the big bucks!

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 8, 2014

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Is weed bad for a cat? Its not bad for humans, but humans and cats are made up of different genes. It all ways wants to follow me to my smoking closet, where I smoke so my mom doesnt find out.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

I totally managed to train my idiot to use a shoelace tied around my bedroom doorknob as a silent doorbell. :D I had the shoelace tied on the inside of the door as an impromptu toy, and he would occasionally stick his paws under the door on the other side and bat at it. He used to meow constantly until I let him in, so I decided to ignore that and only open the door if he went after the shoelace... and it actually worked after a couple days! He now will paw at it from both sides of the door to get in/out, which is considerably less annoying.

He still won't loving touch the rug-texture scratching post I got him, though. :sigh: Since he's super food-motivated maybe I can convince him that scratching post = glorious treats.

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

Is weed bad for a cat?
Yes. Don't hotbox your cat. They should not be inhaling any kind of smoke in the first place. My cat is also intrigued by the smell, but I don't keep him near me when I'm tokin' or vaping. Also, get a goddamn VaporGenie so you don't have to hide in a closet like a babby.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

Is weed bad for a cat? Its not bad for humans, but humans and cats are made up of different genes. It all ways wants to follow me to my smoking closet, where I smoke so my mom doesnt find out.

From what I've read, the psychoactive and other effects of weed on a cat are relatively similar to those of the effects on humans. Otherwise, there are no solid studies about the effects of weed smoke on cats, at least that I know of.

I'd say that vapourizing would be safe if the cats are near, where as the smoke would be damaging.

Ideally, the cats shouldn't be exposed to any of it as one isn't sure what it could do to them.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I knew someone who worked an animal cruelty case where the guy hotboxed his cat (he had rigged up some kind of contraption for the purpose). After a little bit of time to recover the cat seemed ok. I wouldn't take this as an endorsement, but I guess it's not immediately fatal...

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
My friend had a stray cat have kittens in her garage. The mom is pretty skittish still but will allow my friend to get near her a little. The kittens are in a box under the garage stairs. They seem fine. Mom has food and water. She toilets them. She's a little skinny. What should we be doing. When can we TNR her?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Dogen posted:

I knew someone who worked an animal cruelty case where the guy hotboxed his cat (he had rigged up some kind of contraption for the purpose). After a little bit of time to recover the cat seemed ok. I wouldn't take this as an endorsement, but I guess it's not immediately fatal...

My parent's cat in India ate about a quarter of a very strong hash-brownies. It spent the rest of its life permanently stoned.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

My friend had a stray cat have kittens in her garage. The mom is pretty skittish still but will allow my friend to get near her a little. The kittens are in a box under the garage stairs. They seem fine. Mom has food and water. She toilets them. She's a little skinny. What should we be doing. When can we TNR her?

Other than "can you keep them corralled in there?", maybe try asking your local animal rescue association if you got one.

E: might wanna pick up some kitten formula too

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

AuxPriest posted:

From what I've read, the psychoactive and other effects of weed on a cat are relatively similar to those of the effects on humans. Otherwise, there are no solid studies about the effects of weed smoke on cats, at least that I know of.

I'd say that vapourizing would be safe if the cats are near, where as the smoke would be damaging.

Ideally, the cats shouldn't be exposed to any of it as one isn't sure what it could do to them.

I had an ex who's cat ate like half a bag of weed once, he was fine. I probably wouldn't recommend it though.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

duckfarts posted:

Other than "can you keep them corralled in there?", maybe try asking your local animal rescue association if you got one.

E: might wanna pick up some kitten formula too

Was going to get kitten formula, and some weight gain food for the mom, but how DO I keep them corralled? I'm worried if we change the blanket too much or stress her out, she'll move them

PicnicBasket
Mar 21, 2010
Is it ok for my cat to see me naked? She tries to peep in my various states of undress. If this gets out of hand, how do I register her on the sex offenders list? Is this federal or local jurisdiction? Should I get an attorney?

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Are you under age?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

PicnicBasket posted:

Is it ok for my cat to see me naked? She tries to peep in my various states of undress. If this gets out of hand, how do I register her on the sex offenders list? Is this federal or local jurisdiction? Should I get an attorney?

It is ok for no one to see you naked.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

PicnicBasket posted:

Call your county DA's office, they will be happy to help.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Become a never nude

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm a little worried my cat has hurt himself, but I'm not sure how serious it is. I don't know exactly when it happened, but the other night he got spooked by a loud sound while he was eating (I added some onions to a oily pot and it made a loud sizzling) and he bolted out of the room and just looked scared. Afterwards I noticed he was limping/stumbling around, and it looks like he might have hurt his back leg. He seemed to act mostly normal for the rest of the night, but still seemed to be stumbling around/having trouble walking in the morning, and it doesn't look like he has had much to eat.

I'm hoping it might just be a sprain or something minor - is this something I should rush him to a vet for? Or should I just keep an eye on him and make sure it doesn't get worse/he's eating?

I don't want to bring him to the vet unless it's absolutely necessary because I don't have a car or anyone to drive me.

e: I hope this isn't breaking rule 4 - just not sure if I'm being paranoid. :ohdear:

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 9, 2014

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
Pretty sure my cat is a homo because he just stares at my D whether I'm showering or pissing. What are the usual ways to cure cat gayness? Or should I just let it ride?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

Pretty sure my cat is a homo because he just stares at my D whether I'm showering or pissing. What are the usual ways to cure cat gayness? Or should I just let it ride?

Your cat was born that way, don't judge man.

It is because it moves and he is considering whether or not it is a toy to pounce on. Don't let that happen, unless, you know, you want cat claws in your dick.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

HelloSailorSign posted:

Your cat was born that way, don't judge man.

It is because it moves and he is considering whether or not it is a toy to pounce on. Don't let that happen, unless, you know, you want cat claws in your dick.

I don't want that to happen. I'll just make him do an extra benchpress set to distract him

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Oh yeah here's a pic of the garage kittens

Bad Mitten
Aug 26, 2004
Intuition as guided by experience

Stroop There It Is posted:

He still won't loving touch the rug-texture scratching post I got him, though. :sigh: Since he's super food-motivated maybe I can convince him that scratching post = glorious treats.

Totally doable. In fact it can work a little too well. We started out giving Twist a treat every time she used the scratching post. Now she uses it regularly, all the while staring at us to make sure we are noticing her using it. Like "See!! Give me a treat now!"

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

I don't want that to happen. I'll just make him do an extra benchpress set to distract him

if you make your cat stronger one day he will destroy you. that is why you shouldn't strength train cats hth

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

dongsbot 9000 posted:

if you make your cat stronger one day he will destroy you. that is why you shouldn't strength train cats hth

Did you know that if you die at home your dog will be sad and protect your body for days while the cat will start eating you before you are even cold?

Cats are evil. You are literally training your cat to kill you. Listen to this poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

Hi, I have a real cat problem now.

I have two sister cats (between 1 and 2 years old). I feed them Wellness Core Grain Free - a quarter cup each in the morning and a quarter cup each in the evening. I've noticed that they've been leaving a bunch of food uneaten, one cat in particular doesn't seem very interested in eating it anymore. Their behaviour seems fine otherwise, but I've noticed the disinterested cat has been spending a lot of time under my bed, something that I know her sister does often but I haven't really seen this cat doing so. I've just tried giving them some Nature's Variety Instinct Raw samples that I use as treats and she snarfed it down. I suspect, but I'm not sure, that I just opened a new bag of Wellness Core (I have a bad memory for these sorts of things). Is it possible one bag of a brand of food to be bad? Has anyone had experience with this sort of thing where one cat just seemed completely uninterested in eating a food she's eaten before?

Thanks.