Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I know its a gussied up crown Vic but I kinda love it cause of the rarity. I've only ever seen maybe 3 of them in the wild. I've been trying to talk myself into it assuming I could talk the price down a little. I really should be looking for an econobox considering my long commute and everything but a RWD V8 sedan is my style all the way.

As someone who bought a 2001 Mustang Bullitt with similar mileage for too much money I'm not saying don't do it, just keep in mind what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I asked who I thought was the president of the HOA at our townhouses (she lives in one of the units) if it was okay if I worked on my car a little bit in the covered parking. She looked pissed but responded that she wasn't the HOA president anymore, but it was some management company now. News to me, but explains the change from WM to some lovely private trash collection company. She never actually said I couldn't work on my car, though, so I made use of the shaded work area.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Got the boat out of storage last night. Hook up, tow it the 3 minutes home. Then light test. Oops, right turn signals not working.
Took a look this morning, bulb is shot and fused itself to the assembly. Hurray new lighting kit, but at least it was cheap at Canadian Tire.
Fishing tomorrow (if the weather holds).
Man I love summer.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Geirskogul posted:

I asked...
Why would you do that?

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST

Geirskogul posted:

I asked who I thought was the president of the HOA at our townhouses (she lives in one of the units) if it was okay if I worked on my car a little bit in the covered parking. She looked pissed but responded that she wasn't the HOA president anymore, but it was some management company now. News to me, but explains the change from WM to some lovely private trash collection company. She never actually said I couldn't work on my car, though, so I made use of the shaded work area.

Man I'm so glad that HOAs are non-existent where I come from. Otherwise, I'd never get away with this kind of poo poo:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

InitialDave posted:

Why would you do that?

Because she was generally a nice lady, I enjoy getting along with my neighbors, and I was reading the (apparently now old) HOA agreement I found in a cabinet that said car work of any kind in the covered parking was prohibited. I mean, I hate HOAs with a passion, but we're living here with cheapass rent in a nicer area of town (seriously, what we're paying to my uncle barely covers the HOA fees alone), and I'd rather not bite the hand.

If you were joking, then that's awesome. But sometimes on SA you can't tell a joke from a genuine antisocial sperglord, and I can't keep track of who's who all of the time.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I could use some help making a couple of choices. I just moved, so I have no contracts or anything

Option 1: get cable/internet again, pay about 120ish, have all the channels I want. Late night Velocity channel binges.

Option 2: go with internet only for 40ish a month for 40mb download speed. Get hulu and Netflix. No late night velocity. Local programming. No DVR but will have access to all shows at all times.

Thinking if I do cut the cord about getting the Amazon Fire TV. (Unless any one can recommend a better box) I also plan to build a multi media pc.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Just get internet and stream whatever you need using the fast connection and enjoy pocketing like 100 bucks a month extra. I lived without cable for the first time for one year and it was fine really. Streaming has only gotten better since then.

The only nice thing about cable is that you can just turn on something mindless when you don't care to flip through Netflix or something. I like that aspect but not for exorbitant prices each month.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Geirskogul posted:

If you were joking, then that's awesome. But sometimes on SA you can't tell a joke from a genuine antisocial sperglord, and I can't keep track of who's who all of the time.
Sometimes I'm both, but I'm neither in this instance. I'd just keep my head down and try not to annoy anyone enough to have them report what I'm doing than take what seems to be a good risk of getting a definitive no than a definitive yes.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I could use some help making a couple of choices. I just moved, so I have no contracts or anything

Option 1: get cable/internet again, pay about 120ish, have all the channels I want. Late night Velocity channel binges.

Option 2: go with internet only for 40ish a month for 40mb download speed. Get hulu and Netflix. No late night velocity. Local programming. No DVR but will have access to all shows at all times.

Thinking if I do cut the cord about getting the Amazon Fire TV. (Unless any one can recommend a better box) I also plan to build a multi media pc.

Cut it. I've mostly been off the grid for a few years. In the times I have spare time (lol), it's great and there's generally something I'm trying to binge watch anyways that is streaming on prime or netflix. If not, amazon has great rental selections too. Totally worth it, though I would get something above a base tier. Who knows what all the FCC crap is going to do to streaming services.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Live sports is the big reason to keep cable these days; if you can do without that in one way or another then you're well ahead by cutting it.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

Live sports is the big reason to keep cable these days; if you can do without that in one way or another then you're well ahead by cutting it.

This is the only reason why I still have cable, I love sports.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Yeah my biggest concern is hitting that giant wall and getting raped on data overages.

The internet is going to be 40ish and change each month, cable and internet will set me back 110ish (taxes and poo poo) ... Soooo, the 70 a month would be nice to pocket. Plus I like to mindlessly flip channels, and college football in the fall.

I wish there was a way to say yeah just cable in the fall and winter, shut it off in the summer and spring (I'm usually busy loving around with other stuff). Keel the internet full time though.

Edit: I am excited that the garage has cable hook ups and I have an old 20" LCD TV doing nothing. its not like I will watch every thing out there but it would be nice to have a game on or a race. Or when its nice outside and I can sit in the garage, drink beer and have something to watch. Garage TV bitches. :smug:

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 6, 2014

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

No cable for me, but with Netflix and MLB.tv, I'm pretty much set. Any other sports I watch (mostly auto racing) there are streams and "other sources" available.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I don't even have a TV anymore. Anything I want to watch I can find online or on a disc.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
No cable TV for me, either. I don't like paying for ads to be broadcast into my home.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Aaaaand it turns out Hagerty has the cheapest car insurance for the Beetle, with the best coverage. Seriously, Progressive, Geico, USAA et al can barely scrape an additional $20/month (for an additional vehicle), or $40/month (for the car alone w/o addon discounts) with bare-bones state minimums, whereas Hagerty is claiming they can get me 100k/300k, towing, $0 deductible theft/collision, and a ton of other poo poo for that price. Or, I could roughly double my current state-minimum coverage, and get something for nary $10/month that's still better than anything else I have. I know it can't be my daily driver (I have other cars) and it must be stored privately, but that's more than doable for the difference in cost.

I know this isn't the insurance thread, but this is bazongas.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 6, 2014

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Is that not normal for the US, that a second car which is a classic can be insured cheaply? I pay about £100 for the Landie, my dad is something silly like £40 for his Austin. Fully comp cover, which is to all intents and purposes unlimited for 3rd party claims.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

One other huge benefit of Hagerty - you get to skip the emissions test.

InitialDave - the big insurance companies tend to treat classics much the same way as they treat regular cars. If anything they treat them worse since in their view, old = worthless. I'm not aware of any of the big-name auto insurance providers that write a decent classic plan. Hell, I think Geico just tells people to go to Hagerty.

The smaller guys like Hagerty that specialize in it, actually get the value of the vehicles. They do place some limits on how the vehicle can be used (some providers require mileage limits, some require type-of-use limits) and almost all require a minimum driver age of 25.

It also gets hilariously cheap to add another vehicle to it... you know, if you feel the need to go a bit more Jay Leno.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 6, 2014

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

That coverage is extremely bad. I thought I was on the lower end with 100/300 coverage.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

meatpimp posted:

That coverage is extremely bad. I thought I was on the lower end with 100/300 coverage.

As I said, I've been running for years with the state minimums (15/30), and that was just an example quote. I know running minimums is hilariously bad, and the one I posted is pretty bad, but it's still better than what I had, for example only. It's like $40/year to bump it to 100/300 (their max I think?).

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Preoptopus posted:

If your trying to buy a decent Subaru for cheap, buy a used one.

Something like this?

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/4502995869.html

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I could use some help making a couple of choices. I just moved, so I have no contracts or anything...
Ditch cable, build/buy a cheap media PC then stream everything. I went this route a couple years ago when I bought my house and I don't miss cable at all. When I go home or am in a hotel I remember how lovely 95% of the stuff on cable is. With Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc you really don't miss that much.

If I really feel like watching live sports I head to a sports bar with a few friends.

Geirskogul posted:

Aaaaand it turns out Hagerty...

I wish I could get a quote like that from Hagerty. They're insuring the M3 at the moment for pretty close to 10x that amount, I'm shopping around before I renew in July.

Germany is pretty cool so far. Food and beer is excellent, everything is within walking distance, weather has been great and people tolerate my lovely attempts to speak German. Three day weekend and not being on-call is also pretty sweet. Then there's the cars...holy poo poo the cars over here, I need to start taking photos and dumping them on here. Lots of old Citroen, Unimog, Mercs then all sorts of newer little cars that we don't get in the US.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jun 7, 2014

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

Is that not normal for the US, that a second car which is a classic can be insured cheaply? I pay about £100 for the Landie, my dad is something silly like £40 for his Austin. Fully comp cover, which is to all intents and purposes unlimited for 3rd party claims.

You need to shop around a bit more - I've got my series 2 down to £47.50 this year :)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I sense a great disturbance in the Force.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

You need to shop around a bit more - I've got my series 2 down to £47.50 this year :)
Hmm, who's that with? I didn't look around at all with mine, I must admit, I just paid the renewal.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

So I bought a replacement keyboard for my laptop on eBay and just installed it without looking at it. It's in Spanish. A lot of the buttons are different.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I had a 1st gen Atom netbook with a Spanish keyboard, it's weird but you get used to it quickly.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Do you guys look at the keyboard when you type? Can't you just keep the layout as normal US and just ignore the key labels?

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

My keyboard doesn't even have labels.

:smug:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I type with my index and middle fingers, and my right pinky handles symbols and shift/enter/backspace. My eyes are about 70% screen/30% keyboard. Standard touch typing with my awkward ham-hands is crampy and painful at a desk with a full keyboard, and basically impossible with a laptop (and the only non-laptop I own is my HTPC, which I control over VNC with a laptop anyway).

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

NitroSpazzz posted:

Then there's the cars...holy poo poo the cars over here, I need to start taking photos and dumping them on here. Lots of old Citroen, Unimog, Mercs then all sorts of newer little cars that we don't get in the US.

I just got back from Italy and stuffed my flickr with clever little European cars. I love the Fiat Panda in particular.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Galler posted:

My keyboard doesn't even have labels.

:smug:

Yeah, I love my daskeyboard, but I didn't go for the blank one because while I can type fine without seeing the keys, I can't always remember where symbols are.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I just got back from Italy and stuffed my flickr with clever little European cars. I love the Fiat Panda in particular.

I'll either be getting a Fiat Panda or a VW Polo (both diesel) as my rental next weekend. Other rental is a BMW 1 series race car but that's for the day Dad and I are spending at the Ring.

In the mean time here's two Mercs from today because I am the stupid American :911: taking pictures of cars instead of castles.

The awesome camper has been around for a couple days so I may get more shots of it tomorrow/Monday.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

InitialDave posted:

Tomarse posted:

And that was a reduction of about £700 from the year before :suicide:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Are you by any chance in your late teens/early twenties?

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

InitialDave posted:

Are you by any chance in your late teens/early twenties?

It's also my first car so I only have 1 year no claims bonus

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

NitroSpazzz posted:

I'll either be getting a Fiat Panda or a VW Polo (both diesel) as my rental next weekend.

Take a bunch of pictures. There's a rumour they'll bring it to Canada only but I have my doubts.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

freelop posted:

It's also my first car so I only have 1 year no claims bonus
It gets better as you get older and get the increased NCB (note that I'm 32, hardly :corsair: territory). You're probably a lot better than if you were 18 with that 1 year NCB, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

InitialDave posted:

It gets better as you get older and get the increased NCB (note that I'm 32, hardly :corsair: territory). You're probably a lot better than if you were 18 with that 1 year NCB, though.

Aye it's already gone down a fair bit, partly due to the tracker showing I'm not a lunatic driver.

I've been listening to Carpenter Brut and looking at MK1 MR2s on ebay but insurance would put me back £1,316.52 per year

• Locked thread