Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Azran posted:

Anyone knows if the WoL creator is still playing?

I don't think Dongington or ShanRevan play much anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
If anyone was still wondering if the game was fair and balanced, I can confirm that the turret of the Panther is penetrable frontally by a T-34-85 at less than 400m.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Wales Grey posted:

I don't think Dongington or ShanRevan play much anymore.

To the best of my knowledge, I'm the remaining active leadership. God save us all.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Since you can bring multiple crews/vehicles into CARB matches, how does the BR calculation work?

Same as arcade?

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
RIP RommelsTwoDads, it was good while it lasted

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Wooper posted:

If anyone was still wondering if the game was fair and balanced, I can confirm that the turret of the Panther is penetrable frontally by a T-34-85 at less than 400m.

The Tiger, too~

Subyng
May 4, 2013
I'm in my t-70, centre capture point in Karelia, against a Panzer 2, 2 StuGs, and 2 Panzer 3's. I survived long enough to take out 3 of them.

feels good man

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Wooper posted:

And both it and the Tiger really like to explode when you do it.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Feindfeuer posted:

[H]ow would you balance that? Of course 90% of the playerbase don't like moving at all and very rarely shoot on the move so that big advantage will only ever be used by a tiny minority anyway.

I was quiet suprised how consistently you could hit the enemy while slowly moving backwards, even at longer ranges.
Sounds like you answered your own question. As long as there's enough dumb pubbies to offset their ~statistics~, it is balanced.

It also depresses your gun slightly due to the shifting of weight, another trick to dealing with :ussr:'s lack of gun depression.

Wooper posted:

It's more like 500~600m. Least that's the furthest I've done it to date to a Panther.

Roumba posted:

Same as arcade?
Yes.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour
shooting 85mm APHE *upwards* at the lower plate of a pzIV/70 from a distance of 10m should be negate its slope and penetrate every time right? No, suspension damage the first time, and four noncritical/bouncing shots while I sit there in disbelief like a retard until the lucky little poo poo repairs, trains his gun on me, and onehits me. this loving game.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
The general chat is pretty great right now. Nothing but constant slap fighting between 'The PC Master Race' and 'The Console Peasants'. It's a wonderful sideshow between battles. :allears:

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

yaay posted:

shooting 85mm APHE *upwards* at the lower plate of a pzIV/70 from a distance of 10m should be negate its slope and penetrate every time right? No, suspension damage the first time, and four noncritical/bouncing shots while I sit there in disbelief like a retard until the lucky little poo poo repairs, trains his gun on me, and onehits me. this loving game.

Upwards into the lower frontal plate gives you direct access to the transmission , after killing that there is not much else in there to murder. I can see how you could score quiet a lot of non criticals after taking that out already. If it's black it will also not gain additional damage until it's fixed, as it's already completly destroyed.

Of course that's just assuming you hit a Jagdpanther directly from below that was somehow going over a slope. Cause I have no idea about the actual event, just trying to explain what might have happend from the limited info you gave.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

The general chat is pretty great right now. Nothing but constant slap fighting between 'The PC Master Race' and 'The Console Peasants'. It's a wonderful sideshow between battles. :allears:

"PS players have to fly with joystick controlls all the time, unlike the 'arcade/autoaim'-mouse pc kiddies." gets them all the time

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Anyone else noticing there only being like 3 russians in the queue compared to the 30+ germans in sim?

Leads to these really tine 3v3 tank battles, no fun at all

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Robot Randy posted:

RIP RommelsTwoDads, it was good while it lasted

Try 'The_Desert_Fop' ?

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

Killing 8 tonks, half of them T-50 in my Pz IV F1, only guy who's helpful is a Playstation Hero, PC-loudmouth sits at the spawn, toppled over and calls everyone a human being cause nobody wants to turn him over and he will not bail out because of repair cost. We were leading and than everyone spawn in with their planes and me and playstation dude sit alone on the ground with the helpless PC turtle. We lost of course. :smithicide:

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Is it even possible to right a tank that's upside down/on its side? They just slide everywhere.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

It's possible in some situations, like when he's near a slope and you can give him some ground traction. But it's next to impossible and a waste of time. And time is a very rare resource in the capture point battles that you should not waste on stuff like that unless you just fool around with squadmates... do whatever you like than, cause it can be a fun challange.

I managed to get a tank back on its tracks once, and that was a coordinated effort of two T-34 via mumble and took us the better half of a round during CBT.

But for random battles, better off just bailing out.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Heliosicle posted:

Is it even possible to right a tank that's upside down/on its side? They just slide everywhere.

Anecdotally you can have a teammate monster truck you back onto your treads. I haven't ever managed to flip while near people in mumble so I haven't been able to test it.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

Wow, in all the BR rage about planes on the WT board I totally missed that the Aufkärungspanzer 38(t) SdKfz 170/1 is now BR 1.3. It'll not face T-50s so you only need a few belts of APCR for the T-70s you might come across, but even those can be dispatched with default belts if you get a side shot.
50mm of armor, stable 2cm platform that can aim straight up. Doesn't see T-50s :getin:

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I put a Hungarian roundel on the front of my Panther and people keep loving shooting at it. I can't believe this works.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Feindfeuer posted:

Wow, in all the BR rage about planes on the WT board I totally missed that the Aufkärungspanzer 38(t) SdKfz 170/1 is now BR 1.3. It'll not face T-50s so you only need a few belts of APCR for the T-70s you might come across, but even those can be dispatched with default belts if you get a side shot.
50mm of armor, stable 2cm platform that can aim straight up. Doesn't see T-50s :getin:

Do shells collide with the wire mesh that pokes out from the turret? If so, can't you put HE shels into it to gently caress the crew up?

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

I don't think the wire-mech has an actual hitbox, but a HE shell to the turret is still rather effective so the down-grade in BR of the 140/1 is a good reason to carry some spare HE on the BT-7 and T-26E (which also got down-graded to 1.3). If it's about the common soviet pubbie... those rarely carry HE shells in low-tier, at least I've not been shot by HE outside of encountering freshly bought T-28 tanks, and even than they like to just hit you dead center in the front, which might kill your driver but will leave your gun crew in operating condition if it's a 45mm hit.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I put a Hungarian roundel on the front of my Panther and people keep loving shooting at it. I can't believe this works.

I don't even need to put down decals for people to shoot directly at the 108mm thick front armour on the Sherman, it's bizarre.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Heliosicle posted:

I've had success in slamming them into rocks that let them ride up (angled near the bottom) it some before their turret hits and angles them back down onto their tracks. Something like the StuG would be hard-mode to upright.

Either way it's usually amusing and one of the few things pubbies do right (rarely leave an upside-down tank alone without trying to right it; usually only ignoring if they're complaining about it and don't deserve help).

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

5v5 game, and my Su-85M has the support of two T-70s and a GAZ. The fourth guy quit after he got shot down in the first two minutes.

Esc, Return to Hangar.

Edit: it's really easy to tell who's using the ESP cheats.

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jun 8, 2014

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
Eh, CARB is a letdown for me.
You either have lovely plane-whores on your team or the other, meaning that:
A) You are the one of 3-4 tanks that try to cap and die horribly while the rest of the enemy team swarms you with tanks
B) You are on the other end of the situation and there aren't any enemy tanks to shoot.

Wish they would cap the number of planes in the air or something to keep the tank game interesting.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
Dangit if the Hetzer didn't grow on me fast. I hated it at first, and myself for researching it before the III-M, but it's such a dorky little roadbump. Seriously, it has a periscope like a submarine.

Archer2338 posted:

Eh, CARB is a letdown for me.
You either have lovely plane-whores on your team or the other, meaning that:
A) You are the one of 3-4 tanks that try to cap and die horribly while the rest of the enemy team swarms you with tanks
B) You are on the other end of the situation and there aren't any enemy tanks to shoot.

Wish they would cap the number of planes in the air or something to keep the tank game interesting.

Kind of agree, I think they should have separate queue options for CA tanks and CA airplanes and just give the teams equal numbers of slots for each. Although it is fun to spawn into a bomber and try to take brutal revenge on whoever killed you.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
CA full sim is kinda hilarious.

its like playing where's waldo with bombs.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

CARB is clearly half-baked and in its first, incomplete iteration. I get the impression 6 months from now it will be an entirely different animal.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Hetzer is a mobile 10pc chicken nugget box and I love it. :allears:

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Second day playing this on ps4 and... Holy hell I'm having fun as Japan ... I like the control.

Anyways... I did start a squad for a buddy and I... We aren't organized like everyone else here but at least we have room so if any ps4 goons want in it is the ZCR (zombie civil rights group.)
I'm sure it goes without saying that it is just a placeholder squadron until the main ones get openings... But you know... You can come be dumb with us if you want.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Came back after about a week off of not playing. I'm getting somewhat better at positioning now, and going back to low tier Russian Tanks has been a blast. It's just not fair for other players when I can kill five player tanks in thirty seconds in the T-80. I'm still annoyed at the invisible tanks at Spawn though. Nothing is more frustrating than seeing an allied tank suddenly pop into existence and shove you out of the way because the game decided not to render them for a few seconds.

What I'm saying is the Tank Spawns need to be more spread out so this doesn't happen.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
gently caress the SPAA, that thing is useless. The T-34-85 is the best Russian AAA on the field!

Getting Terror of the Sky without ever leaving your tank is so loving great. The T-34-85 is amazing, you can even kill Panther As with a broken main gun. All you have to do is ram your target,

Then you pin him between your front plate and a rock and type 'DO YOU EVEN LIFT' in chat until he kills himself.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

The Orange Mage posted:

The Hetzer is a mobile 10pc chicken nugget box and I love it. :allears:

I'm researching it myself now. I hope it's more useful than the WoT incarnation but god drat if it's not the cutest little tank I ever did see. :kimchi:

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Does anyone have some pointers for the XF5F? I like the looks of it but i can't figure out how to use it best. I would expect it to be a good climber but the things i get matched up against seem to to outclimb it, are faster in a dive and turn better. I just get murdered instantly most of the time. Also i am a bad player :v:

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bistromatic posted:

Does anyone have some pointers for the XF5F? I like the looks of it but i can't figure out how to use it best. I would expect it to be a good climber but the things i get matched up against seem to to outclimb it, are faster in a dive and turn better. I just get murdered instantly most of the time. Also i am a bad player :v:

The XF5F is mostly a comedy plane due to the weapons they give you. You literally get outgunned by most era 2 planes, and even just the ammo count is absolutely abysmal. You have to make every .50 and ever .303 bullet count to achieve anything but shoot down more than one plane.

It's excellent climber and the trick is that you climb at very low speed - like 200km/h, and it practically helicopters into stratosphere. Once you are there, you can turn with anything that's not explicitly a zero and follow anybody through a dive, but for gods love don't use your keyboard for pulling up because you are bound to break your wings if going at over 500km/h, the high speed lack of compression is ridiculous.

Try to get into 1v1 with soft, highly maneuverable planes, as they will probably think they can easily dogfight a twin engine fighter, and then you turn into their turn with incredible ease and pepper their canopy from 200 meters.

Oh also I imagine it's absolutely dogshit irredeemable in arcade. RB or SB or don't bother.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Thanks, I'll give it another try when i get home.

And yeah, I've been mostly playing rb lately. Took me a while to warm up to it but now i find it more engaging than arcade?

How does the XP50 compare? It looks mostly similar and pretty cool but has 20mm cannons.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Bistromatic posted:

And yeah, I've been mostly playing rb lately. Took me a while to warm up to it but now i find it more engaging than arcade?

How does the XP50 compare? It looks mostly similar and pretty cool but has 20mm cannons.

It is a...decent plane, but nothing special. The fact that all the guns are in the nose make it okay.

Personally, out of all the XP's, the 55 is my favourite. Yes, it is a paper plane. Yes, BR is stupid and it climbs not as good as it really should.

But a fuckton of ammo for your guns that are all in the nose in addition to the most unique look always gives it a special place in my heart.

And no matter what it hit, will just die.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have been ogling the anime plane for quite a while but I just can't justify the price. If it ever goes at least 40% off, I will grab it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011

Bistromatic posted:

The XP50 used to climb like nothing else at its BR, but it was since moved around and now it's merely a good climber. It goes fast in a dive, retains energy fairly well and rebuilds energy fast. Its twin 20mm cannons are nose mounted Hispanos and will murder anything you get a shot on. The twin .50 cals are also nose mounted and will take down most fighters with a burst or two.

It does not however roll or turn well, bleeding lots of energy in the turns and while its guns will shred most of the bombers it gets matched against, it is made of Japanese paper soaked in gasoline and will catch fire at the slightest provocation. Finally the engines are little tinderboxes that will either catch fire or die rapidly when turned light pink.

• Locked thread