Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

suicide survivor

Black ribbon magnets are for death survivors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Yes, it does, a lot. Even if it doesn't matter to you personally.

EDIT: Speaking as a suicide survivor here, who's also had two friends commit suicide.

How the hell do you survive suicide?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Fine, suicide attempt survivor.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

The Pit of Despair. One of the most questionable experiments ever performed by Harry Harlow, a famous psychologist of questionable sanity, it was a hellish dungeon designed to cause massive, incurable depression in monkeys. Some of the monkeys resorted to self-harm and suicide.

He also built scary robots and Rape Cages to really push the limits of how mentally broken a monkey can get before tearing out its own throat.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

That robot's even better in motion!

He was using it to scare baby monkeys into choosing which "mother" they preferred, a fluffy "mother" or a terrifying wire-mesh "mother" that dispensed milk.

MrGreenShirt has a new favorite as of 01:10 on Jun 7, 2014

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

If the goal is to keep cars from getting dirty it sounds like a loving terrible solution.

If left alone to "dry" it'll eventually become mostly solid. The idea is to keep dust down in the area, not off the car in particular. Especially since most dirt roads are traveled by worn out trucks and tractors, not brand new sedans.

Boneitis
Jul 14, 2010

djssniper posted:

How the hell do you survive suicide?

Being kind of an rear end in a top hat with an obviously very sensitive subject. It clearly took Thunderbeast a lot of courage to contriubute his/her story

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Does it really matter? Certainly its sad, I have a lot of empathy. I support much more comprehensive public mental health programs, they would be far more effective than a giant net. It's always sad when someone chooses to commit suicide, but we as societies or as individuals don't get to make choices for others or decide their medical care.

'I have a lot of empathy'

*wants to see people die*

One of these things is not like the others...

For content, the Maya apparently consecrated their temples with the blood of sacrificed toddlers.

Wikipedia posted:

In 2005 a mass grave of one- to two-year-old sacrificed children was found in the Maya region of Comalcalco. The sacrifices were apparently performed for consecration purposes when building temples at the Comalcalco acropolis.[2]

There are also skulls suggestive of child sacrifice dating to the Maya periods. Mayanists believe that, like the Aztecs, the Maya performed child sacrifice in specific circumstances. In the Classic period some Maya art that depict the extraction of children's hearts during the ascension to the throne of the new kings, or at the beginnings of the Maya calendar have been studied.[3] In one of these cases, Stela 11 in Piedras Negras, Guatemala, a sacrificed boy can be seen. Other scenes of sacrificed boys are visible on painted jars.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Astrofig posted:

'I have a lot of empathy'

*wants to see people die*

One of these things is not like the others...

How is this any different from euthanasia? If someone really, really wants to end their own lives who are we to stop them?

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

MrGreenShirt posted:

How is this any different from euthanasia? If someone really, really wants to end their own lives who are we to stop them?

You don't see a difference between a metal illness and painful incurable diseases?

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
The level of extreme ignorance about suicide (not just in this thread) is just loving staggering.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

duckmaster posted:

The level of extreme ignorance about suicide (not just in this thread) is just loving staggering.

This is a very personal issue for me. You are completely right, and it makes my loving blood boil.

This is a matter of literal life and death so people need to stop spouting their uneducated horseshit guesswork on the matter. Temporarily stopping someone from committing suicide is an extremely worthwhile thing to do. "It doesn't matter, they'll just find another way" and "who are we to stop them?" are dangerously lovely opinions, so anyone who wants to say those things should strongly consider shutting the gently caress up instead.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

King Prawn ain't wrong.

MrGreenShirt posted:

He was using it to scare baby monkeys into choosing which "mother" they preferred, a fluffy "mother" or a terrifying wire-mesh "mother" that dispensed milk.

And that is completely horrifying, jesus christ

For content, here's a perennial favourite: Albert Fish. Cannibal and general shitheel. Article includes an excerpt from that dreadful letter he sent the mother of the child he ate.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

MrGreenShirt posted:

You know the euthanasia is a controversial subject too, right? At least in so far as euthanizing people is concenrned.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Guys. This is comedy forum Something Awful dot com. People are going to say ridiculous poo poo.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
there's nothing more demoralizing than some smug prick i dont know coming into my room as I'm putting a loaded gun to my head and spewing bullshit at me while i attempt to solve a lifetime of problems.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

MissEchelon posted:

King Prawn ain't wrong.

And that is completely horrifying, jesus christ

For content, here's a perennial favourite: Albert Fish. Cannibal and general shitheel. Article includes an excerpt from that dreadful letter he sent the mother of the child he ate.

Was what he said about China correct? Cuz that sort of societal horribleness is a topic worth this thread on its own.

radioaktivitat
Sep 2, 2011

FrumpleOrz posted:

But you're making it seem like most suicides are done in a clear, healthy mind. That's not the case and if the person can be prevented from dying, they can get help.
The article on the bridge on page 9 made this point which I think pretty much covers why the net or whatever other solution would be a good way to spend some money: "Dr. Seiden’s study, “Where Are They Now?,” published in 1978, followed up on five hundred and fifteen people who were prevented from attempting suicide at the bridge between 1937 and 1971. After, on average, more than twenty-six years, ninety-four per cent of the would-be suicides were either still alive or had died of natural causes.". The majority of people who try to commit suicide do so at a crisis point and if they can be stopped from going through with it they can be helped.

The Enfield Poltergeist was a story that creeped me out a lot when I was younger, although reading the Wikipedia article now it seems that it's been fairly well debunked as the kids in the house doing it for attention; that said, there's something a little bit creepy about an 11 year old being so committed to pulling off the whole stunt: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enfield_Poltergeist and a bit more detail here: http://whofortedblog.com/2009/09/07/the-questionable-case-of-the-enfield-poltergeist/

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

FrumpleOrz posted:

You don't see a difference between a metal illness and painful incurable diseases?

If there's no guaranteed access to mental health care, isn't it terribly cruel to attempt to stigmatize suicide? I mean, otherwise you're telling the people that they should just get a job good enough to provide them with the insurance to pay for therapy/medication that can help them. Bootstraps?

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

The Canadians replied that they would rather ride a moose.
It's true that if someone is determined to kill themselves, they will. But most suicide attempts are the result of temporary psychosis or other episode of severe mental illness. Suicide can be a rational decision, say to head off a painful death from terminal disease, but that's a tiny proportion of such deaths.

Everyone has the right to end their own life if they want to. But many, in fact the majority, would not want to if they were not sick, and that makes suicide prevention a healthcare issue. Just as you would treat an infection with antibiotics you treat mental illness with suicide prevention measures in spots where it will save the most lives.

And I've survived two suicide attempts, so I hope that earns me enough Oppression Pointstm to be allowed to express an opinion.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

moller posted:

If there's no guaranteed access to mental health care, isn't it terribly cruel to attempt to stigmatize suicide? I mean, otherwise you're telling the people that they should just get a job good enough to provide them with the insurance to pay for therapy/medication that can help them. Bootstraps?

If Grok's clan no able to make fire, is wrong to tell should try no die from raw meat sickness? Make fire is hard work.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Axeman Jim posted:

And I've survived two suicide attempts,

Sounds like you're just not very good at it. If anyone wants to cut down goon suicides you should petition the mods and admins to close BYOB and put a mental health thred in let's play.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Shut up about suicide please, this isn't the thread for it.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Sounds like that whole "mass grave of babies in a septic tank" story was blown way out of proportion, according to the historian who made the discovery.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Sounds like that whole "mass grave of babies in a septic tank" story was blown way out of proportion, according to the historian who made the discovery.

I once took a class in forensic anthropology which consisted of a woman telling her FA war story's while we went from desk to desk and wrote characteristics of various jon/jane does she had brought in.

Apparently she gets called out to some camping location once a month to tell the sheriff of the city that it's not a mass baby grave but some buried chicken wing bones.

Also something to think about is if you die and can't be identified ( dental records are a tv myth in terms of availability), your bones are cleaned and put in a cardboard box. And there you will sit for years at a time until an intern has time to start doing a detailed report comparing your characteristics to missing person reports.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

I could almost see someone being approved for euthanasia because of depression, but drat that'd have to be some child molester war criminal of the year poo poo that would make a panel of top psychiatrists shake their heads and say "I wouldn't want to live with that either, youre basically Hitler", but if your life is that hosed up then you may as well try something radical like electroshock or some MK ULTRA drugs until you can't remember poo poo.

So you should try "doped to the gills" first. It's not that some people need drugs to cope, it's that everyone requires a certain type and level of drugs to cope, for many people that's "none", but for some it's "way more than they're taking right now".

And if that doesn't work there's the Euthinasia Coaster.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

RevSyd posted:

I could almost see someone being approved for euthanasia because of depression, but drat that'd have to be some child molester war criminal of the year poo poo that would make a panel of top psychiatrists shake their heads and say "I wouldn't want to live with that either, youre basically Hitler", but if your life is that hosed up then you may as well try something radical like electroshock or some MK ULTRA drugs until you can't remember poo poo.

So you should try "doped to the gills" first. It's not that some people need drugs to cope, it's that everyone requires a certain type and level of drugs to cope, for many people that's "none", but for some it's "way more than they're taking right now".

And if that doesn't work there's the Euthinasia Coaster.

Unfortunately "doped to the gills" is expensive. I wish I could afford it though.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

MrGreenShirt posted:

Holy poo poo I need this as a new avatar

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

Holy poo poo I need this as a new avatar

That might actually be more terrible than boxbot.

Seriously though, jesus loving christ that guy and his experiments. :gonk:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

a kitten posted:

That might actually be more terrible than boxbot.

Seriously though, jesus loving christ that guy and his experiments. :gonk:

When he was done with his despair monkeys he gave them to a zoo where they just sat there and screamed all day. The zoo put them on their own island away from all the animals frightened by their constant agony.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

PYF Scary Article: They just sat there and screamed all day

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

DStecks posted:

PYF Scary Article: They just sat there and screamed all day

Harry Harlow posted:

‘The only thing I care about is whether a monkey will turn out a property I can publish. I don't have any love for them. I never have. I don't really like animals. I despise cats. I hate dogs. How could you love monkeys?

Dude's a nut. drat.

a kitten has a new favorite as of 04:36 on Jun 8, 2014

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

MissEchelon posted:

"I killed, dismembered and ate your child, but don't worry, I didn't gently caress her!"

That's where he draws the line. Horrifying.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Harry Harlow sounds like a Captain Planet villain or something.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Want to give that nerd a loving swirly.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Honestly those monkey studies, aside from being ethically horrific , gave a lot of insight into animal intelligence and social behavior. There's probably ways we could have learned that in a less morally depraved way, but it wasn't a completely worthless study where he just tortured animals for fun and we learned nothing.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Honestly those monkey studies, aside from being ethically horrific , gave a lot of insight into animal intelligence and social behavior. There's probably ways we could have learned that in a less morally depraved way, but it wasn't a completely worthless study where he just tortured animals for fun and we learned nothing.

drat it Harlow, you're a loose cannon, but you get results!

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Apparently it put an end to the "hands off" approach to dealing with children that was popular at the time, and the theory that the child/mother dynamic was one purely of needs being fulfilled (food). Of course, after that when his wife died, he started getting into the nasty isolation stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ok, not a Wikipedia article but this counts as creepy to me even though I'm sure there is a plausible explanation. Sorry, the source is the NY Daily News so take it with a grain of salt.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/great-white-shark-possibly-eaten-larger-mystery-animal-article-1.1821781

quote:

Scientists are baffled after they discovered that 8-foot long great white shark has been eaten by even bigger "mystery sea monster."

Researchers have no idea what animal could be responsible for killing and eating the shark.
The only theory they have so far come up with is that was attacked by a "colossal cannibal white shark."
Researchers had tagged the healthy shark to track its movements.
But the tracking device washed up on an Australian beach four months later.
Data shows there was a rapid temperature rise along with a sudden 2,000-foot plunge, That, scientists believe, proves it eaten by something much bigger, saying the records indicate the shark went inside another animals's digestive system.
The case will be documented in an upcoming ABC documentary, reports news com.au.