Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
5er
Jun 1, 2000

90's and crash test dummies you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaUqpnHvua8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Disco Pope posted:

I think Akira stands up as a genuinely good film

As someone who just recently saw Akira for the first time, I'm not so sure that it really does. There's a lot of good stuff to it, yeah, but there's a lot of terrible parts, too. Like all the talk about power levels, and there's a lot of parts that seem really tone-deaf, like the characters joking around as they walk away from the aftermath of a suicide bombing, or having a kid do a cartoony double-take while watching someone's body get ripped apart by gunfire.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've recently been doing some reading for an essay about Internet regulation (for a module I cannot stand which is taught by one of the most frustrating professors I've ever had, but ended up doing because it was the only one that fit in with both my job and the rest of my class schedule) and I've found myself looking at a bunch of old books and journals from the mid- to late-1990s.

I thought I knew at least a little about the net, but it's the weirdest thing reading these concerned-sounding academics discussing how the continued growth and relevance of LambdaMOO suggests that "virtual-rape" will be a serious online problem as we progress into the 21st century.

Actually, I'm currently reading an article from 2007 which references Usenet and MUDs and MOOs as good examples for how online communities should be self-regulated. I know that's seven years old (either there's far less academic discussion of this topic than I had hoped, or I'm just terrible at using WestLaw) but were any of those engines particularly relevant in 2007?

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Metal Loaf posted:

LambdaMOO suggests that "virtual-rape" will be a serious online problem as we progress into the 21st century.
The article pretty much sums up greifing at a time when such a thing likely was just called "pranking".

I recall articles in newspapers suggesting that the IT world would expand to where you web-commute daily and give your wife a virtual kiss goodbye.

Most then were under the idea that online communication would mean you're tied to a stationary desktop and had to compromise around the lack of physical human contact or in some cases use video conferencing.

The rise of the online mobile phone pretty much removed that restraint and the internet's evolved into becoming an important tool in our social day to day activities.

Usenet still has quite a following and I vaguely recall around 2006 the idea was thrown around that it would be making a comeback in the P2P world, owing the to shuttering of several torrent sites.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Virtual Rape isn't too far fetched of a potential internet problem. Within I don't know, a decade? teledildonic devices will probably be cheap and semi-common. Some people will probably be weird/lazy and wear them all the time. Then someone could hack your poo poo and force your vibrator on for hours or whatever.

I just wanted to say teledildonic.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
Want to see the dead and decaying remains of the malls you visited as a kid? Sure you do!

http://deadmalls.com/

http://www.labelscar.com/site-map

I used to :420: and watch these https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind%27s_Eye_%28series%29

insufficient guns
May 4, 2009

personally, I would
like to fuck Wall-E

:h: :roboluv: :h:
What could be more 90s than losing your poo poo over this thing magically appearing at the park/swimming pool?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

insufficient guns posted:

What could be more 90s than losing your poo poo over this thing magically appearing at the park/swimming pool?

I bet they kept wondering why there was so little revenue even though everything sold out every day.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Your Sledgehammer posted:

These guys are the Alpha and Omega of the campy 90's, and I will still remember them fondly when I am a shriveled old man.

This is from way, way, back in the thread, but

For those wondering about those thick-rear end turtleneck collars, that's how you can tell it's footage added by Saban! They couldn't get a lot of the original props or costumes from Toei's run of Zyuranger, so they had to make do with knockoffs any time they had to film Rangers in Zordon's base, or Teenagers With Attitude hanging around with their helmets off, or any scene at all with those costumes in the second season, because that was all a different show in Japan. So, if the Ranger suits have giant poofy necks, or the Green Ranger's breastplate thing is just made of quilted fabric, you can tell it's not original Japanese footage :eng101:

Also, the reason the Yellow Ranger doesn't have a skirt like Pink is because the Japanese one was male.

Galsia
Oct 20, 2005
How they got away with having African American and Chinese actors play the Black and Yellow Rangers I have no idea...

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Galsia posted:

How they got away with having African American and Chinese actors play the Black and Yellow Rangers I have no idea...
Apparently a genuine oversight, because as soon as they rotated the cast around the Asian man became the black ranger and the darker skinned girl because the yellow ranger. :v:
Now about Wild Force Red being totally not native american meets tarzan and having a bond with animals...

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Was just watching The Twilight Zone on SyFy early this morning, and this thing came on before the second episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUun8NEIzHk

Now I'm thinking, "What in the hell could be educational about a Twilight Zone episode?" I mean, it was "Long Live Walter Jameson," an episode about a man who was present at various historical events and knew historical figures personally, but that's about as educational as "To Serve Man" being shown on Food Network or something.

Then I realized how '90s as gently caress this thing is, and how I hadn't seen it since high school (in the 90s :corsair:). "You may tape and retain this program." "Local cable company." drat, I miss when you had options as to what cable you wanted instead of the monopoly that Comcast is :(

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Cable in the Classroom was great because it meant that if I woke up at like 5 am I could catch an episode of Mr. Wizard and I loved that poo poo. I never actually saw any Cable in the Classroom shows in any classroom, though. It was always Tomes & Talismans or Drug Avengers, which is campy 80s poo poo.

I do remember some show about educational arts and crafts (aerodynamics by way of paper airplanes, stuff like that) hosted by some lady who tried to find any excuse to talk about or show off her cats. I don't know what scientific or sociological principle I was supposed to glean from watching a cat stick his head under a running faucet.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Peak 90's TV is the episode of the Outer Limits reboot where Nathan Filion plays a American expat running a bar in alien occupied Russia.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
When I was younger, my favourite comic was Sonic the Comic (STC), which (before it became a Sonic-only comic) was the UK's official Sega magazine.

The first issue came out in 1993:

And the first thing it showed you on the first page was a chart listing the top selling Mega Drive games:

Further in, it had game reviews:

And advertisements:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Metal Loaf posted:

And advertisements:

I still think that Genesis is one of the best looking consoles ever, minus the weird non-NA red buttons in that shot of course. It was pretty enough to get me to buy a Genesis despite being a staunch SNES supporter that generation.

The NA version

256 colours was still bullshit though :(

Aesthetics had a big part in my decision to get a Saturn too unfortunately

Still think that d-pad is better than the DS4's or Xbone's, but it didn't even last as long as the Saturn itself did.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Metal Loaf posted:

When I was younger, my favourite comic was Sonic the Comic (STC), which (before it became a Sonic-only comic) was the UK's official Sega magazine.

The first issue came out in 1993:

One of the highlights of my childhood was this comic. I started collecting it at issue #26 (the miracle planet/metallix storyline) and carried on till issue #132, when they just started reprinting old material.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Genesis is OK but its no MSX2.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Frankston posted:

One of the highlights of my childhood was this comic. I started collecting it at issue #26 (the miracle planet/metallix storyline) and carried on till issue #132, when they just started reprinting old material.

Believe it or not, #132 was my first issue, so I only saw a lot of the classic stuff the second time around and was none the wiser.

Lotron
Aug 15, 2006

Still clownin'
Found it:

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

leidend posted:

I still think that Genesis is one of the best looking consoles ever, minus the weird non-NA red buttons in that shot of course. It was pretty enough to get me to buy a Genesis despite being a staunch SNES supporter that generation.

The NA version

256 colours was still bullshit though :(

Aesthetics had a big part in my decision to get a Saturn too unfortunately

Still think that d-pad is better than the DS4's or Xbone's, but it didn't even last as long as the Saturn itself did.

Buck Rogers, Countdown to Doomsday is reason enough to own a Genesis.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

leidend posted:

The NA version

Agreed. While the SNES beat it out in terms of power and overall game quality, the original SNES design wasn't very good in hindsight. (I love the Genesis and all, but the SNES library has way more games that have aged well.) The Genesis II still looks good, while the SNES was a beige and purple blocky... thing.

In terms of controllers however, I'll give that win to the SNES. The 3 button Genesis pad is ugly as sin and is anemic button-wise, while the SNES controller was the basis for drat near every console controller design still in use. The Genesis 6-button was a massive improvement though.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I got my hands on an NES a few years back, and I've found that although the basic design of the early Nintendo systems was clunky, they are marvelous for repairs. So easy to crack them open, track wiring and figure out what's what with the systems when something goes wrong with them.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Ofaloaf posted:

I got my hands on an NES a few years back, and I've found that although the basic design of the early Nintendo systems was clunky, they are marvelous for repairs. So easy to crack them open, track wiring and figure out what's what with the systems when something goes wrong with them.

I remember back in the late 80's and early 90's when it seemed like signs for Nintendo repairs were everywhere. Never seen that kind of thing since.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

Zonekeeper posted:

Agreed. While the SNES beat it out in terms of power and overall game quality, the original SNES design wasn't very good in hindsight. (I love the Genesis and all, but the SNES library has way more games that have aged well.) The Genesis II still looks good, while the SNES was a beige and purple blocky... thing.

In terms of controllers however, I'll give that win to the SNES. The 3 button Genesis pad is ugly as sin and is anemic button-wise, while the SNES controller was the basis for drat near every console controller design still in use. The Genesis 6-button was a massive improvement though.

I wish the console used this design and color scheme, as well. I've always admired this design, and it still looks pretty sleek:

There was a controller which had the same coloration which I always preferred. Plus X and Y weren't concave, at all. I always felt like I was playing the game with those Smarties candies - the pastel color didn't help the resemblance to the chalky candy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fors Yard posted:

I wish the console used this design and color scheme, as well. I've always admired this design, and it still looks pretty sleek:

There was a controller which had the same coloration which I always preferred. Plus X and Y weren't concave, at all. I always felt like I was playing the game with those Smarties candies - the pastel color didn't help the resemblance to the chalky candy.

Actually, they did use that design for the PAL SNES's.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Fors Yard posted:

:confused:
But the PAL/Japan one looks more like Smarties;

Plus I think you mean convex, not concave.

I know that American Smarties (also known by their true name, Rockets :colbert:) are different from Canadian ones, I'm just being cheeky

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

umalt posted:

I know that American Smarties (also known by their true name, Rockets :colbert:) are different from Canadian ones, I'm just being cheeky

Damnit. I'm not too far into my Monday morning and my mind has already been blown. Rockets seem to make much more sense as a name, but considering how many Smarties (American) I got from getting haircuts or parents going through the bank drive through as a kid, they will always be Smarties to me.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
http://retrovania-vgjunk.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/videogames-are-bad-for-you-according-to.html

Chuck Tanner
Nov 10, 2012

by Lowtax

I don't care what anyone says, the Sega Saturn loving owns

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Mr. Mallory posted:

I don't care what anyone says, the Sega Saturn loving owns

Has anyone other than fanboys of rival consoles ever actually said that the Saturn itself was poo poo? Because as far as I know, its only sin was being released and then promptly abandoned by Sega at a time when they were just blindly flailing around, releasing new console after new console and hemorrhaging customer goodwill and third-party support as a result.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Doctor Bishop posted:

Has anyone other than fanboys of rival consoles ever actually said that the Saturn itself was poo poo? Because as far as I know, its only sin was being released and then promptly abandoned by Sega at a time when they were just blindly flailing around, releasing new console after new console and hemorrhaging customer goodwill and third-party support as a result.

There were of course a handful of solid games, but the system was DOA. I'm sure the hardware was just fine, but the 3rd party support didn't exist, and Sega was not a strong enough 1st party to hold it up on its own. How does it being "promptly abandoned" make the system anything but junk?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Back in the late 80's/early 90's it was in vogue in business circles to stand in awe of Japanese businesses and try to emulate them over here in America.

Sega is proof that Japanese businesses are fully capable of failing just as spectacularly as American companies.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
The Saturn's hardware wasn't exactly perfect either. The PS1 was better for 3D while the Saturn did really awesome 2D. While yes, 3D was pretty hideous back then, we didn't care, 3D was the future and the PS1 was just better equipped for it.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
One thing I do recall someone saying about the Saturn, though, is that it was the last game console that was designed pretty much entirely with all off-the-shelf parts. No custom or proprietary chips or components.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Pook Good Mook posted:

Back in the late 80's/early 90's it was in vogue in business circles to stand in awe of Japanese businesses and try to emulate them over here in America.

Sega is proof that Japanese businesses are fully capable of failing just as spectacularly as American companies.

The Dreamcast was an admirable effort compared to the poo poo that preceded it, but it was too little too late. It beat out the Saturn in terms of excellent exclusives but the mere threat of the PS2's arrival was enough to kill its sales.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Aesthetics-wise, the Saturn is probably my favorite video game system. That design is just gorgeous. I especially like the white one:

Obviously it couldn't compete with the PSX and N64 when it came to 3D games (although the Sega arcade ports such as Sega Rally are really good) and failed pretty hard in the west, but it did have a ton of great 2D fighters and shoot 'em ups.

AntiPseudonym
Apr 1, 2007
I EAT BABIES

:dukedog:

RagnarokAngel posted:

The Saturn's hardware wasn't exactly perfect either. The PS1 was better for 3D while the Saturn did really awesome 2D. While yes, 3D was pretty hideous back then, we didn't care, 3D was the future and the PS1 was just better equipped for it.

If I remember correctly, this is because the Saturn rendered quads (4 sides) instead of the much more adaptable triangles that almost all 3D hardware uses as a base primitive. This made porting and designing 3D games for the Saturn a lot more difficult that it really should have been.

Also something about Segas licensing rules killed off a lot of 3rd party support early in its lifetime, something like there had to be prominent Sega logos everywhere in the game and other weird requirements.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

From what I've read, it came down to it being hard to program for (its architecture was thrown together by Sega Japan after a leadership change; while Sega USA had been in talks with SGI to develop a console, they were ordered to accept what the Japanese side had come up with. SGI then worked with Nintendo to develop the N64,) and for being released by complete surprise, at least in North America. They tried to advertise that the Saturn was far above the PS1 in processing power, but because the Playstation had hardware 3D it actually had better looking 3D games. The architecture was kind of a mess, with dual Hitachi processors AND a Motorola 68k in the mid '90s when multiprocessing was almost unheard of in game development.

It didn't help their image that this was only the second 32-bit console they had released after the 32X, and Sega fans were starting to get tired of having to buy new attachments for the Genesis and probably figured the Saturn would be the same story. Lots of small or moderate problems and two strong competitors meant they'd get a bad rep, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

OH NO MAN posted:

Aesthetics-wise, the Saturn is probably my favorite video game system. That design is just gorgeous. I especially like the white one:

Obviously it couldn't compete with the PSX and N64 when it came to 3D games (although the Sega arcade ports such as Sega Rally are really good) and failed pretty hard in the west, but it did have a ton of great 2D fighters and shoot 'em ups.

I remember it having the nicest-feeling controller. The grain on the back wasn't that fine or something, unlike a 360 controller which feels very cheap to me despite it costing about as much as a full game.

• Locked thread