Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Macaluso posted:

Games being cartoony would get me to try MORE games. Call of Duty looking more like TF2? Sure I'll play that! The Arkham games not looking like total poo poo garbage and instead looking more like the WB cartoon? Now we're talkin!

Please don't compare the two because it makes me vomit a little in my mouth also you could play as the animated series batman characters in City so you have no excuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Space T Rex posted:

Also, god drat, what a terrible name they picked for the new Xbox. I mean seriously how did that not get shot down right after someone said it. I get the idea that its supposed to be like "one console to do everything on", but still. Shameful.

At least Xbox One can be abbreviated as Xbone. The Wii U just sounds like an onomatopoeia for an ambulance siren.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

PantsBandit posted:

Please don't compare the two because it makes me vomit a little in my mouth also you could play as the animated series batman characters in City so you have no excuse.

But the rest of the game around him is still ugly though

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Suspicious Cook posted:

At least Xbox One can be abbreviated as Xbone. The Wii U just sounds like an onomatopoeia for an ambulance siren.

Someone referred me to this when the Wii U was announced. Even considering how dumb this was, it had me laughing for way too long.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

pichupal posted:

Someone referred me to this when the Wii U was announced. Even considering how dumb this was, it had me laughing for way too long.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Suspicious Cook posted:

I actually can't hear it without the urge to make a siren joke tugging at the back of my mind a little, it really is a terrible name.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Macaluso posted:

But the rest of the game around him is still ugly though

Why? Because it's dark? This is one dumb-rear end post.

Anyway, that wireless GameCube pad looks legit.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Sire Oblivion posted:

Anyway, that wireless GameCube pad looks legit.

Its dark and ugly. Its still fun but that doesn't mean its bland. It makes bland look good, but again its still bland.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I love the Arkham games pretty much more than anything else released last gen but the character designs are all really goddamn ugly UE3 monstrosities.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

I love the Arkham games pretty much more than anything else released last gen but the character designs are all really goddamn ugly UE3 monstrosities.

I don't know why you'd expect anything else from an UE3 game.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

CandyCrazy posted:

For the same reason SNES games tended toward having B as the primary button over A: the bottom button is the most comfortable button to press, especially in conjunction with another button. See this Brawl in the Family comic.

The inconsistency comes from some developers using the previous rationale and others figuring that O (a symbol cor 'correct') is more logical for the "confirmation" button than X (universally the symbol for 'wrong').

Pushing buttons with your joint? First time I heard of this.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

JethroMcB posted:

I really could not give a poo poo about "competitive" Smash Brothers. Smash is something I play with my friends to have fun, because, again, Cartoon Mascot Party Game. I've watched a couple of the videos/livestreams posted in this thread of Smash tournament play. It's fascinating to watch, and I understand what's happening and how they're doing it, but goddrat that is not how I want to play this game. Nobody is gleefully Wario Biking into people and throwing the parts around as insult to injury, nobody uses the characters I like, nobody is putting themselves in harm's way to fight over an item, nobody seems to be enjoying themselves.

I'd love to know how/why early PSX developers decided that Americans preferred the X button to the O button for confirmation, and why swapping those two between Japanese developed titles was and is seemingly arbitrary.

Same here. I mean - Smash is chaotic, fast-paced fun where random things happen and sometimes the match doesn't go your way or the result isn't based on individual skills. Regardless of this, my group of friends had a few really good Smash-players back in the Melee -days, and they tended to dominate about 80% of the matches. So skill, even in the middle of all the chaos, is a factor. If you take away the items and just play Final Destination over and over again, you also take away the essence of the game ( as far as I am concerned ).

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Sire Oblivion posted:

:rolleyes:

The character designs are ugly, the aesthetic is ugly, the art direction just in general is ugly. I dunno why "dark" would have anything to do with it, a Batman game is supposed to be dark. I'd just like it not be ugly. Like the Joker in the first game? His model is godawful, only saved by Mark Hamill voicing him. Like, gameplay wise it's perfectly fine but it's not great to look at.

So anyway in conclusion, they should make an Arkham game staring Wario

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arthe Xavier posted:

If you take away the items and just play Final Destination over and over again, you also take away the essence of the game ( as far as I am concerned ).
Good thing people don't actually play final destination over and over then.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Arthe Xavier posted:

If you take away the items and just play Final Destination over and over again, you also take away the essence of the game ( as far as I am concerned ).

Thanks Arthe Xavier for your highly unique and insightful opinion, that has never once been addressed before in a conversation about Smash Brothers, and will likely lead to fruitful conversation.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

It's kind of disheartening how on the same page we'll have someone post "To say 'people have fun in different ways sometimes!' would be obvious and basic enough that to actually write it down would be to waste time and energy", and then like five people come out of the woodwork to confidently state "Well you see, my way is the fun way! :colbert:"

I mean, really, of all the fuckin issues you could possibly pick to be this strongly opinionated on, you pick the idea that someone might like their games of Super Smash Brothers on the Nintendo video entertainment system to be less of a dice roll? This is what's important to you, to go around telling people you don't approve of the way they play Super Smash Brothers?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So, Twitch records streams, right? I've realized I might not be able to watch the whole invitational; I might miss the end, and we all know that's going to be where the good poo poo is.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Cleretic posted:

So, Twitch records streams, right? I've realized I might not be able to watch the whole invitational; I might miss the end, and we all know that's going to be where the good poo poo is.

They do record streams, yeah. Even if that somehow ends up not happening I'm sure the whole tournament will be up on Youtube within minutes after the end of the tournament anyway.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell

Kurtofan posted:

Pushing buttons with your joint? First time I heard of this.

Have you never played a gameboy?

Also I'm beginning to worry again about the balance of SSB Kerfuffle despite having a better team on the job, based on the fact that either none of them noticed that For Glory mode undoes half of their balancing by being FD only, or that if they did notice, Sakurai or someone else ignored them. I mean during the entire process of building the Little Mac character wouldn't it become obvious that platforms only give opponents escape routes and dont benefit you much? Like how has the whole team of people hired to help balance not noticed the role of platforms?! Maybe I'm just cynical but I really am not expecting the balance of this game to be much better than Brawl. Sounds too good to be true.

Space T Rex fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 7, 2014

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Macaluso posted:

:rolleyes:

The character designs are ugly, the aesthetic is ugly, the art direction just in general is ugly. I dunno why "dark" would have anything to do with it, a Batman game is supposed to be dark. I'd just like it not be ugly. Like the Joker in the first game? His model is godawful, only saved by Mark Hamill voicing him. Like, gameplay wise it's perfectly fine but it's not great to look at.

So anyway in conclusion, they should make an Arkham game staring Wario

I think I actually get what you mean here. A lot of the models seem built for... bulk, as it were. With Batman, they try to offput it somewhat with the design of the suit - bulky, padded, trying to make it seem like the size is because he's protected under that thing. But then you see characters like Jim Gordon:

Dude's built like a brickhouse, and most male characters end up following suit. Everybody at the aslyum that isn't A) A named supervillain with a unique model or B) Female, gets the same general physique, and it leaves things kind of... off. And the faces can, well...

Yeah.

That said, a 3D game with Wario in general would be kinda interesting. His appearance makes him so obvious different from the rest of the Mario gang that the gameplay has to be different with him, and well, dude's a bad guy. Would be just generally cool to have a video game for him that wasn't a minigame collection. Wasn't the last one 2008 or something?

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Astro Nut posted:

That said, a 3D game with Wario in general would be kinda interesting. His appearance makes him so obvious different from the rest of the Mario gang that the gameplay has to be different with him, and well, dude's a bad guy. Would be just generally cool to have a video game for him that wasn't a minigame collection. Wasn't the last one 2008 or something?

I believe this would be 2003's Wario World for the gamecube. That game was... okay. I'd like to see something a little more in the vein of the Wario Land games for 3ds.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Sade posted:

I believe this would be 2003's Wario World for the gamecube. That game was... okay. I'd like to see something a little more in the vein of the Wario Land games for 3ds.

There was Wario Land Shake It for Wii.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.
In the Wii U thread it was mentioned that from 6/8 - 6/14 Target is selling preorders for Super Smash Bros 3DS and Wii U for $1, and if you buy one you get $15 off a $40+ game. I haven't picked up Mario Kart 8 yet so I was thinking of doing this and getting the $15 discount on it.

Am I missing something or is there no reason to not do this? It seems like you come out $14 ahead, and you have a copy of Smash Bros. preordered.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
There's two Michigan tournaments going down today (and I'm not going to either because gas is a thing T_T), the monthly ranbats but more importantly, Super Sweet which is an amazing 2-day P:M/Melee tournament series. I don't know exactly what time it's starting, but whenever it does it'll be here:

http://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp/

Lots of amazing players will be there like Armada, Mango, Kels, Yu, and of course M2K (who was blowing up the michigan facebook group two days ago looking for people to hustle in money matches).

e: apparently it's scheduled to start at 3 pm EST, I don't know which games are getting streamed when, but here's the schedule

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 7, 2014

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Space T Rex posted:

At least nothing has been as bad as the Xbox 1 (not Xbox One) controller.

Also, god drat, what a terrible name they picked for the new Xbox. I mean seriously how did that not get shot down right after someone said it. I get the idea that its supposed to be like "one console to do everything on", but still. Shameful.

E: I think i missed an entire page and posted my controller thoughts out of context. noooooooo

(2 pages)

Hey, these were the same marketers who thought that hyping up all the console's non-game-related functions, excitedly listing all the ways it'd invade your privacy, and insulting anyone who thought backwards-compatibility was an issue would make the console sell more. They clearly don't understand what they're doing.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Geostomp posted:

Hey, these were the same marketers who thought that hyping up all the console's non-game-related functions, excitedly listing all the ways it'd invade your privacy, and insulting anyone who thought backwards-compatibility was an issue would make the console sell more. They clearly don't understand what they're doing.

Not to mention the most amazing response to an interview question ever:

"If you want to play offline, there's already a product for you. It's called the Xbox 360"

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I don't know why you'd expect anything else from an UE3 game.

I just wanna point out that UE3 was used to make this game which looks...well i mean come to your own conclusions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKGPhKu3jNg

So its all about how you use a thing

vvv pff you've never heard of a surprise? I thought the smash thread was the ultimate funhaver haven!!!!

ThePhenomenalBaby fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 8, 2014

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
For those (everyone?) who don't want to click on a random link its Guilty Gear, an anime fighting game.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Space T Rex posted:

Maybe I'm just cynical but I really am not expecting the balance of this game to be much better than Brawl. Sounds too good to be true.

I can assure you that no matter what your expectations are, there will be a lot of people using different characters at first.
Then after a year, there will be a tier list.
Of all the characters, only about a quarter of them will be in a high tier position and a good chunk of them will not be high tier.
There will be a few new tactics discovered that the development team never foresaw that completely changes the tier placement. If we're lucky, it'll be the Ink Drop all over again.
Then after another year, there will be another tier list.
And then a few years after, after tons of datacrunching and metagame analysis, a small team of modders will be able to fix the game.

Only then will we finally have balance.

Since it didn't go over well last time, I'm not being serious this time either.

TerminusEst13 fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 8, 2014

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Dedede is the best character anyway so tiers don't even matter

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

TerminusEst13 posted:

I can assure you that no matter what your expectations are, there will be a lot of people using different characters at first.
Then after a year, there will be a tier list.
Of all the characters, only about a quarter of them will be in a high tier position and a good chunk of them will not be high tier.
There will be a few new tactics discovered that the development team never foresaw that completely changes the tier placement. If we're lucky, it'll be the Ink Drop all over again.
Then after another year, there will be another tier list.
And then a few years after, after tons of datacrunching and metagame analysis, a small team of modders will be able to fix the game.

Only then will we finally have balance.

Since it didn't go over well last time, I'm not being serious this time either.

I love Inkdropping.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

What possessed people to use that term for even a second? "Dang, Mario just fell down. Check it out, he's ink dropping."

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
Isn't the Wii U capable of patches? I'm sure if there's a problem this time then it'll hopefully be patched out. Also I don't think because a mode isn't balanced that the characters are not balanced, too.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Supercar Gautier posted:

What possessed people to use that term for even a second? "Dang, Mario just fell down. Check it out, he's ink dropping."

People thought it was a cancel and so they wanted to name it something, like how every similar thing in every other game ever is. It just turned out to not actually be a thing so now it's a hilarious story instead of just a sorta bad name for a mechanic.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
None of that matters until the game is out.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Countblanc posted:

People thought it was a cancel and so they wanted to name it something, like how every similar thing in every other game ever is. It just turned out to not actually be a thing so now it's a hilarious story instead of just a sorta bad name for a mechanic.

The urge to coin these names is just goofy, is all.

I mean, wavedashing doesn't even involve waves or dashing! Imagine how much more comprehensible it'd be to just call it "sliding". The arguments that could be averted!

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Supercar Gautier posted:

I mean, wavedashing doesn't even involve waves or dashing! Imagine how much more comprehensible it'd be to just call it "sliding". The arguments that could be averted!

Well, wavedashing as a term already existed in other fighting games (Tekken and MvC2) so that probably had something to do with it.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Supercar Gautier posted:

I'm pretty sure wavedashing existed in other fighting games before Melee, see: Marvel vs. Capcom 2.

GenericMartini posted:

Also I don't think because a mode isn't balanced that the characters are not balanced, too.

Standard tier lists are generated assuming the environment is items off, 1-on-1 battles, and simple stages. However, in other modes it is still generally accurate. The gap will lessen because of the random nature of free-for-alls with items, but Metaknight still has insane priority, range, speed, and recovery, while Ganondorf is slow and underpowered. Bad characters still stand a chance if they get a good item.

However, in free-for-alls, any match with items, and really obnoxiously large stages, fast characters are god-tier. Sonic, Falcon, Fox ect. can run away the entire match and get to items faster than anyone else, and they can be virtually unbeatable outside of heavy swings of luck. Free-for-alls also favor characters with strong kill moves, as opposed to combo/damage moves, especially in timed mode.

The best balance is when nobody even knows how to play.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

canoshiz posted:

Well, wavedashing as a term already existed in other fighting games (Tekken and MvC2) so that probably had something to do with it.

Yeah I assume it's just borrowing the term from other games. Games in general have weird terms, like other fighting games having things like "negative edge" (the name for when attacks come out when you release a button instead of press it I think), chicken blocking (blocking in the air to prevent high-low mixups), teching (breaking a throw), and a bunch of others. I bet MOBAs, FPS games, and everything else has 'em too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

F. Lobot posted:

However, in free-for-alls, any match with items, and really obnoxiously large stages, fast characters are god-tier. Sonic, Falcon, Fox ect. can run away the entire match and get to items faster than anyone else, and they can be virtually unbeatable outside of heavy swings of luck. Free-for-alls also favor characters with strong kill moves, as opposed to combo/damage moves, especially in timed mode.

Was this at lest intended to be Pichu's strength, too? He's small, fast and packs a surprising punch, so he's best suited for a hectic match with as many other players as possible, letting him get lost in the crowd until he Skull Bashes you into oblivion.

I mean he's still a joke character, of course, but he's really hurt by his preferred situation being the exact opposite of a competitive match.

• Locked thread