Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Got the Astia in the mail today from Yond Cassius. I have a couple of projects in mind for it already. As soon as I get through my Portra supply, I'll load up a back and get shooting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I just picked up a roll of Adox Silvermax and Color Implosion. Anyone have any experience with either of these?

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009
Got my roll of Astia today! Thanks a ton Yond Cassius, I'll be sure to get on shooting it as soon as possible.

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

Got the roll of Astia today. Oddly it was cool so I doubt there was any harm done to it while it sat in the mail box. Thank you again Yond, I am excited to shoot it.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!
Silvermax is very nice, good tonality but lacking a bit in contrast. The word that best describes it for me is smooth. I like it. Are you planning on developing on normal developer or the special "HDR" developer?

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!
Man, my post office is slacking.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Understanding posted:

Man, my post office is slacking.

Yeah, yours is running a bit late. Daspope and Tony are closer to me than you are, but theirs went out Saturday. Now, if Big Scary Monsters gets his first, then they'll be really slacking. BSM wins for long-distance travel this round (though one roll I traded with an APUGer is going to Kenya).

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

Yond Cassius posted:

Yeah, yours is running a bit late. Daspope and Tony are closer to me than you are, but theirs went out Saturday. Now, if Big Scary Monsters gets his first, then they'll be really slacking. BSM wins for long-distance travel this round (though one roll I traded with an APUGer is going to Kenya).

I'm not going to try and make sense of the scheduling for deliveries of my mail, though I know it gets to me mid day, or it's sitting in my house waiting for me to notice it.

Worst case scenario is it got sent to the wrong house, which has happened a few times with different mailmen.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Primo Itch posted:

Silvermax is very nice, good tonality but lacking a bit in contrast. The word that best describes it for me is smooth. I like it. Are you planning on developing on normal developer or the special "HDR" developer?

I'm not sure. I still have yet to dev my own negs. I'm gonna wait until I move to NOLA to shoot it most likely. Fortunately really close to where I'll be living will be the community darkroom & printshop, so they can help me with that. I read a bit about Silvermax on their website, and it mentioned their own developer. Is it worth it? Right now I only have 1 roll if the stuff, and film seems a bit difficult to procure in NOLA, if it's really a solid film I might think about stocking up, but right now it's an oddity I wanted to check out.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Astia came in yesterday, Now i just need time to use it!

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

stop rubbing it in guys, I still haven't gotten mine yet.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Understanding posted:

stop rubbing it in guys, I still haven't gotten mine yet.

Got mine today :smug:

Can't wait to try it out!

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
What are the typical go-to places for film aside from FreestylePhoto and B&H?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Saint Fu posted:

What are the typical go-to places for film aside from FreestylePhoto and B&H?

Amazon and Adorama are pretty good.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
FilmPhotographyProject.com

Browse the store - they have some interesting package deals.

And then there's the joy of weird eBay "I cleaned out my attic" sales.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

ExecuDork posted:

FilmPhotographyProject.com

Browse the store - they have some interesting package deals.

And then there's the joy of weird eBay "I cleaned out my attic" sales.

I would recommend not buying film that has been stored in an attic :v:

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

another day and still nothing :smith:

I should probably develop the 3 rolls of Illford i shot a few weeks back to keep preoccupied.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Understanding posted:

another day and still nothing :smith:

I should probably develop the 3 rolls of Illford i shot a few weeks back to keep preoccupied.

Almost all of it has been delivered now. I'm pretty sure you and Bud are the only Americans left waiting, though I think you both depend on the same USPS regional sort facility (Kearny, NJ) and it appears to be pretty bad at its job. I don't have a tracking number for The Meat Dimension, but that's only a few hours away.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

Yond Cassius posted:

Almost all of it has been delivered now. I'm pretty sure you and Bud are the only Americans left waiting, though I think you both depend on the same USPS regional sort facility (Kearny, NJ) and it appears to be pretty bad at its job. I don't have a tracking number for The Meat Dimension, but that's only a few hours away.

This is pretty likely, since I ordered a bunch of other things since the rolls were sent out that got here already, most were local, bypassing the sorting facility completely.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Oh poo poo, today I had a
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UPJ-euBzSM

Now I really have to try and take some photos that aren't terrible.

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite

Yond Cassius posted:

Just found out my local lab has stopped developing slide film - I was gearing up to shoot a bunch of it in the next two weeks too. Funny timing.
Kearny's ok, cut them some slack.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
Any recommendations for a small, manual hotshoe flash? Preferably one that sits horizontally rather than vertically, I just want something I can put on my X-E1/AE1 that isn't as huge as my 430EX. Bonus if it has an exposure table on it.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Found some expired Agfachrome CT Precisa 100 EXCL. film at an old slightly confused lady's market stand today. https://www.dropbox.com/sc/kt51ktfmjvw7m6x/AAC0jAT6ABoxqL_G3zD3v6sra

Gonna be fun to see what comes out on the other end. i'll be shooting it at 50 ISO since it expired in 2003 and i've no idea what conditions it's been stored at.

Frobbe fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 31, 2014

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

I got my film over the weekend, gonna try and shoot some of it soon.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
In a couple weeks I'll be moving to New Orleans and it's basically a film desert, I'm not sure if there's any place in the area that'll do e6 processing. What's a good place to send my slide film off for processing that doesn't charge an obscene amount?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I like Pheonix Imaging in Chicago. $5.25 per roll of 120 in E6 or C41, they do a bang-up job. Not sure if they do mail orders though.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Saint Fu posted:

I like Pheonix Imaging in Chicago. $5.25 per roll of 120 in E6 or C41, they do a bang-up job. Not sure if they do mail orders though.

"120 mm" lol

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Saint Fu posted:

On that note, when I was living in Illinois, I had a better experience with CSW Film Systems. They definitely do mail orders. They're also almost a dollar cheaper per roll of 120.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

There's also Citizens out in Portland that has alright prices for E-6 and great C41 prices.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Casu Marzu posted:

There's also Citizens out in Portland that has alright prices for E-6 and great C41 prices.

I physically dropped film off at Citizen's today and can confirm they are Good.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
My Astia arrived today. I guess first priority is checking on that possible-frame-spacing issue in the Kiev I bought a while ago.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

MrBlandAverage posted:

On that note, when I was living in Illinois, I had a better experience with CSW Film Systems. They definitely do mail orders. They're also almost a dollar cheaper per roll of 120.
Thanks for this, I hadn't heard of them. I'll give them a shot.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Finally got a scanner!

Tim-Film-35mm-009.jpg by t.humeston, on Flickr

Tim-Film-35mm-003.jpg by t.humeston, on Flickr

Tim-Film-004.jpg by t.humeston, on Flickr

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I usually shoot Tri-X at box speed or at 1600, but I recently shot a bunch of rolls at 800, which Kodak doesn't suggest a push for, but realistically, should I add a little extra dev time?

Would Rodinal at a heavy dilution serve me better for preserving shadow detail better than D76 1:1?

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

try it with a lime posted:

I usually shoot Tri-X at box speed or at 1600, but I recently shot a bunch of rolls at 800, which Kodak doesn't suggest a push for, but realistically, should I add a little extra dev time?

Would Rodinal at a heavy dilution serve me better for preserving shadow detail better than D76 1:1?

Perhaps stick to what you're using and just pull 20% of your 1600 time and see how it looks?

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
My recent ebay impulse buy arrived the other day:

The surprising thing was how big it is, next to the Canonet QL17 it looks huge. The rangefinder is much bigger and brighter though so focusing it is really easy.

The QL17 feels more solid too although the build quality of the Yashica is still nice.

I put a quick test roll through it to see if it is working properly - everything seems great. It's a nice lens, pretty sharp and seems to have minimal distortion. Aperture priority keeps it simple and the metering seems pretty good.

A few scans from the test roll:

aboriginal advancement by s d photo, on Flickr

untitled by s d photo, on Flickr

sales entrance by s d photo, on Flickr

printers by s d photo, on Flickr

Fomapan 400 deved in Rodinal

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I got a so-so condition Pen EE half frame camera today. Everything seems to work fine but it's dirty as hell. Old dried up gunk in every nook and cranny. I cleaned up most of it, but there looks to be some crumbs stuck behind the plastic cover of the transparent selenium lens surround thing. I found out you can easily remove the front lens assembly but the plastic surround won't budge. I'm afraid to pry it out. Anyone know how to remove this thing so i can clean behind it?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

BANME.sh posted:

I got a so-so condition Pen EE half frame camera today. Everything seems to work fine but it's dirty as hell. Old dried up gunk in every nook and cranny. I cleaned up most of it, but there looks to be some crumbs stuck behind the plastic cover of the transparent selenium lens surround thing. I found out you can easily remove the front lens assembly but the plastic surround won't budge. I'm afraid to pry it out. Anyone know how to remove this thing so i can clean behind it?

Will it work if you don't clean it?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I think so. I'll find out if it's metering properly once I get the first roll developed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
In other news, I developed the first roll out of my new stylus epic and I didn't expect this kind of quality out of a P&S

:krad:

I was anxious to scan the film before bed, so I didn't wait long enough for it to dry and ended up with lots of newton rings where the film made contact with the flatbed because it was so curled. I also have some lines that I didn't squeegee away properly. I'll have to let them flatten under a book for a few days then try again.

This is one that turned out ok

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jun 9, 2014