Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
If I had to pick a movie prior to Fusion Reborn to put alongside it for a theatrical release, it'd probably be Bojack Unbound. Gotta love a tournament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I somehow never knew that the second Cooler movie was a thing. It looks absolutely ridiculous even after stripping out the usual DBZA trappings.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I just went back to check the plot of fusion reborn. I forgot that the reason poo poo whent down because one person in charge of the tanks for purifying evil energy decides to goof off and not change it and that's when poo poo goes down.

To think, if someone loving goofs around, the world goes apeshit. The King should've done better background checks. :v:

desshar
Jun 4, 2011
Overall, I enjoyed this abridged movie. I think the only reason I like this movie though is because I'm a sucker for Goku-Vegeta tag teams. Also, Vegeta's gags were great, I really liked the delivery.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Why were Krillin and the others even there?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This was alright, but few jokes really hit for me.

The references to the Regis from Megas XLR was great though.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

BlitzBlast posted:

Why were Krillin and the others even there?

DBZ movie reasons.

Interesting that TFS actually made it a lot more sensible. They had no idea about the weird space cancer, they thought they were gonna see Dende.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
It's funny the movie introduces Dende when he's grown up. I forgot what point they decide to bring Dende as the new earth guardian.

Was it during Piccolo fighting Cell or after?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Not until the 10 days before the Cell Games, when they realized they need new Dragonballs, and Goku teleports over to New Namek.

carry on then fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 8, 2014

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Shindragon posted:

It's funny the movie introduces Dende when he's grown up. I forgot what point they decide to bring Dende as the new earth guardian.

I think it was afterward, because Piccolo says he doesn't have Kami's magic. So Goku goes off and abducts a kid basically.

The movie actually spoiled Dende's return before it happened in the manga.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Shindragon posted:

Way after. It wasn't until the 10 days until the Cell Games, I'm pretty sure.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Hahaha didn't know the movie actually spoiled his return.

Also watching Fusion Reborn. It really is a great movie. Especially when Vegeta is like I RATHER DIE THAN FUSION WITH YOU KAKAROT. And goku counters with but you already dead.

And then Vegeta's face.

Priceless.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Shindragon posted:

Hahaha didn't know the movie actually spoiled his return.

Also watching Fusion Reborn. It really is a great movie. Especially when Vegeta is like I RATHER DIE THAN FUSION WITH YOU KAKAROT. And goku counters with but you already dead.

And then Vegeta's face.

Priceless.

Just started watching it too. I'm glad they brought back Pikkon, he was a pretty cool filler character.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Much as I don't like the buu saga. It did gives us a few great things. Obviously Mr. Satan.

And then.

The Fusion Dance. Goddamn you Akira Toriyama.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I hope the "Just punch harder" joke comes back if they do Broly. That's literally how they defeat him. After they spend the entire movie not being able to phase him Goku just decides to punch him harder and kill him in one shot.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Lol fusion reborn would've ended greatly if the failed fusion beat the villain. His moves were so orthodox, they were hard to predict.

Kinda nice once they do the right fusion, they really don't waste time in basically wrecking the dude. Which in a way Gogeta was more of goku's attitude more so than Vegetto.

Granted Vegetto was still smart, he was goofing around alot.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Shindragon posted:

Lol fusion reborn would've ended greatly if the failed fusion beat the villain. His moves were so orthodox, they were hard to predict.

Kinda nice once they do the right fusion, they really don't waste time in basically wrecking the dude.

You're forgetting the real main conflict: Gotenks versus Hitler.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Vegito was goofing around on purpose so he could get absorbed though.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Ah you are right. I just remember when he got turn into a chocolate ball, he was still kicking Majin Buu's rear end.

Also now to see Bojack Unbound. I think this is actually one of the movies I didn't actually see and I've seen most of the DBZ movies.

I looked it up and it's Teen SS Gohan? Interesting.

Hahahah Krillin is in this tourney? Poor bastard. Lol unfair eh? Says the strongest human in the universe.

Oh wow, Gohan wearing Goku's Ki? That's new.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 8, 2014

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Shindragon posted:

Ah you are right. I just remember when he got turn into a chocolate ball, he was still kicking Majin Buu's rear end.

Also now to see Bojack Unbound. I think this is actually one of the movies I didn't actually see and I've seen most of the DBZ movies.

Bojack Unbound is another surprisingly tight movie. You'll probably like it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Shindragon posted:

Hahahah Krillin is in this tourney? Poor bastard. Lol unfair eh? Says the strongest human in the universe.

Oh wow, Gohan wearing Goku's Ki? That's new.

The ending of the final battle is great in that one.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Bojack Unbound is another surprisingly tight movie. You'll probably like it.

It's one of the few that can be "reasonably" tossed into the anime canon without much in the way of plot hiccups, too.
(Oh god the TFS version will be glorious.)

On the subject of TFS Cooler 2, I couldn't stop laughing. That was the best, even after seeing the silly movie it came from. :allears:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
ahaahahahah Mr. Satan is in this?

Ok best movie ever! (I know he was in fusion reborn, but him in a tourney type movie just screams hilarious as hell)

edit: hahah I was wondering where they got the scene of Vegeta relaxing on a bed watching TV.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 8, 2014

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I forgot that the dragon is just sitting there at the end of Fusion Reborn, waiting for someone to make a drat wish.

I guess I'll watch Wrath of the Dragon now, I've never seen it. Considering I've never seen someone put it above even Bio-Broly... this is probably going to hurt.

StrifeHira posted:

It's one of the few that can be "reasonably" tossed into the anime canon without much in the way of plot hiccups, too.
(Oh god the TFS version will be glorious.)

On the subject of TFS Cooler 2, I couldn't stop laughing. That was the best, even after seeing the silly movie it came from. :allears:

I wonder if they're still going to go full pirate with Bojack.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

I guess I'll watch Wrath of the Dragon now, I've never seen it. Considering I've never seen someone put it above even Bio-Broly... this is probably going to hurt.

It's alright until the end. But then again, it was the prequel to GT...

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
And again now I get the oldest joke in the book. So he was literally actually trapped inside a planet (star)

I do hope they keep him being a pirate. Goddamn TFS knows how to do long payoffs.

Edit: My favorite pay off is when the early episodes of DBZA Piccolo tells Goku to hold off Raditz for five minutes.

And then when Goku is powering up the spirit bomb against Freeza, he does the same thing to Piccolo

And then..

Piccolo: Did.. Did you just pull a grudge?

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 8, 2014

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
As bad as Return of Cooler was, it could have been worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wG84efH4sw&t=138s

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Ok, that was a really good movie. Also :stare: I see the reason why they dont' let Gohan SS2 that much.

He just makes you explode into dust with his fist.

Hahah Mr Satan did really save them. It was nice to see Goku didn't have to come in tos ave the day. Ok techincally he did come in to punch Bojack in the face, but it was pretty nice to see that he was dead so he could only just literally punch and then disappear.

Aww the gohan growing up montage.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

As bad as Return of Cooler was, it could have been worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wG84efH4sw&t=138s

I wish I could have all the Malaysian dub movies. They're apparently impossible to obtain though.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I also just watched Bojack Unbound and it was fine.

I was annoyed at how badly everyone besides Gohan was relegated to cannon fodder and that Gohan regained his mental block about SS2, but it was fine.

Honestly, all they needed to do was make Bojack stronger and Gohan could have used SS2 earlier and had an actual fight.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Shindragon posted:

Ok, that was a really good movie. Also :stare: I see the reason why they dont' let Gohan SS2 that much.

He just makes you explode into dust with his fist.

Hahah Mr Satan did really save them. It was nice to see Goku didn't have to come in tos ave the day. Ok techincally he did come in to punch Bojack in the face, but it was pretty nice to see that he was dead so he could only just literally punch and then disappear.

Aww the gohan growing up montage.

Seriously, teen Gohan was loving awesome. Most people who are upset about Gohan getting chumped in the end of the series were probably thinking about Bojack more than anything.

Squallege posted:

I wish I could have all the Malaysian dub movies. They're apparently impossible to obtain though.

What a shame, I was just thinking the same thing.

Some Numbers posted:

I also just watched Bojack Unbound and it was fine.

I was annoyed at how badly everyone besides Gohan was relegated to cannon fodder and that Gohan regained his mental block about SS2, but it was fine.

Honestly, all they needed to do was make Bojack stronger and Gohan could have used SS2 earlier and had an actual fight.

I would have preferred a divide-and-conquer approach to Bojack's minions, allowing everyone important to get a turn, but then SS2 Gohan couldn't no-sell everything at the end and that was badass.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 8, 2014

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Shindragon posted:

Woah woah woah. Tenshinhan is a human.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
This fight at the end of Wrath of the Dragon is really dumb so far but Vegeta showing up because his house got blown up ruled.

e: Videl why are you even here

e2: Trunks you little poo poo

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 8, 2014

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

dr.acula posted:

Woah woah woah. Tenshinhan is a human.

I was going off the Dragonball Z dub when Yamacha was asked about Krillin during the tournmanet in the Buu Saga. You can blame Yamacha for not remembering Tien.

speaking of Yamacha. They really love making him the punchline anytime they get a chance don't they? He loving got eliminated so quickly. I'm surprised he didn't ya know...FLY just like everyone else did.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

^^^^: DBZA use "Yamcha" as a verb for a reason.

I would have preferred a divide-and-conquer approach to Bojack's minions, allowing everyone important to get a turn, but then SS2 Gohan couldn't no-sell everything at the end and that was badass.

SS2 Gohan no selling everyone was totally awesome, but no one else - including Vegeta - managing to do anything of consequence was disappointing as hell.

I'm partway through Fusion Reborn. Pikkon is a completely different character and Gohan just punched Freeza to death. I'm torn.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

What a shame, I was just thinking the same thing.

Youtube clips are going to have to be good enough I guess...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Upy2SEnP9MU

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Shindragon posted:

speaking of Yamacha. They really love making him the punchline anytime they get a chance don't they? He loving got eliminated so quickly. I'm surprised he didn't ya know...FLY just like everyone else did.

He's been that way since he almost got his rear end whupped by a hungry Goku.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
loving hell that Malaysian dub. :stare:

Black human beings hate that sound of glass...

I just...what?

edit: I really haven't seen Lord Slug in a while. I thought TFS was kidding that the whistling actually hurts Namekians.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Squallege posted:

Youtube clips are going to have to be good enough I guess...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Upy2SEnP9MU

It's like someone's torturing a freakin cat!

Also the end of Wrath of the Dragon. Taipon gives Trunks his sword and it looks just like Future Trunks's sword. Then Taipon... takes the time machine? That Bulma built for no reason because the Androids weren't that big a threat in the main timeline? And I guess Taipon travels to another dimension?

What the gently caress was going on in that ending?

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I'm pretty sure they did fucky things with the canon on purpose for the movies. None of them fit in the timeline what so ever.

• Locked thread