Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foolie
Dec 28, 2013

mistaya posted:

a coming-soon short story about Molly's first job as the Winter Lady, guest starring Ramirez.

Given how hard it would be to put Molly into a story with Harry, this seems like a really cool way of continuing that character. Then again, I'd kind of love to see a Dresden Files book where Harry is the supporting cast to someone else's badassery. (Pause to realize that I largely just describe Ghost Stories)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Foolie posted:

Given how hard it would be to put Molly into a story with Harry, this seems like a really cool way of continuing that character. Then again, I'd kind of love to see a Dresden Files book where Harry is the supporting cast to someone else's badassery. (Pause to realize that I largely just describe Ghost Stories)

He has said that Molly will be more prominent in Peace Talks. But yeah, stoked for that short story. Los is my favorite secondary character

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

How many more short stories until we can get a new compilation? I'm getting impatient but I'm too lazy to track them all down.

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
I'm hoping for an eventual spin off and we can get some stories about the west coast and ramirez. They could start a little after white knight and have the red court war. Then the fallout after harry sets off his nuke. It could do stuff with a little lower stakes than harry's.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I was trying to remember who I pictured in my head for Mac after a friend asked a question about him (the answer was 'he's out' ) and it finally struck me, Mac is Mills Lane.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
My mental casting for Mac has lately been a super-stoic Maximiliano Hernández

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

I go with Jonathan Banks for Mac

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

jivjov posted:

Fried Chicken posted:

I'll allow it

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
It's clearly Raymond J Barry as Mac.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
So, with no fanfare that I heard, there's a new original DF story being published by Dynamite Comics, who did last year's Ghoul Goblin (which was... pretty hit or miss), "War Cry" is shortly after Dead Beat and features Dresden, Ramirez and two more junior wardens helping out the Venatori Umbroum (who I love and wish we would actually get to see in the mainline.) It's worth reading at your FLGS at least.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

So tonight at Phoenix Comicon there was a "Drink With the Authors" sort of bar-and-mingle, and I mostly followed Jim Butcher around for a couple hours and talked to him a bunch. (He's seriously the coolest guy.)

Just for you guys, here's the last conversation we had:

Me: "Hey, can you settle an argument on the internet for me?"

Jim: "I'll sure try!"

Me: "There's quite a few people on one side saying that Murphy has basically always been the action hero side character, and she's not really useful outside of the action scenes. (I think they're wrong.) They think Murphy needs a power-up of some kind like a Sword of the Cross, or if not that something else to stay relevant. What do you think?"

Jim: "It's sword and sorcery, and Murphy's a sword. She doesn't need a powerup, she is the powerup. You don't give the party's sword magic, you give them a bigger sword!"

Then we made some jokes about rocket launchers.

So there you have it, goons. Murphy is the party Fighter. :dealwithit:

mistaya fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jun 8, 2014

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Maybe this has already been asked and if so I'm sorry, but why didn't Harry become a paraplegic again temporarily once he put the iron manacles on and lost the Mantle?

Given all the fighting Harry does in the book and how much damage he takes by the end I'm beginning to suspect the only reason Butcher gave him the Mantle was so he could beat Harry up even more. He's stated in Q&A sessions (I think one at Comic-con?) that he really enjoys beating the poo poo out of Harry.

AlphaDog posted:

I'd guess so. There are literal angels and stuff. It might be the really far nevernever though, and it might be impossible to open a gate to - whether because there's no appropriate place on Earth or because it's just really far/weird/guarded would be hard to say. I mean, Hades has had mortals go in to and out of it in legends (and by implication, in the Dresden universe), but the Christian heaven hasn't had anything like that, has it?

I'm not sure if it counts but isn't part of Revelations about a man who is shown around Heaven and told how the apocalypse will happen. NOTE: I am aware he may have been dreaming.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Travic posted:

Maybe this has already been asked and if so I'm sorry, but why didn't Harry become a paraplegic again temporarily once he put the iron manacles on and lost the Mantle?

He doesn't lose the Mantle when exposed to Iron, it just really hurts him and cuts through his whole pain negation thing. He was stabbed by the little fairies in Cold Days and also didn't lose his ability to walk.

The only time he full out goes parapalegic is when he commits, or is about to commit, some act that fundamentally goes against Winter. He collapsed when he decided to violate the Unseelie Accords (which Mab set up and Winter has a vested interest in).

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Michael Pineda just couldn't stay healthy...

Illuyankas posted:

I was trying to remember who I pictured in my head for Mac after a friend asked a question about him (the answer was 'he's out' ) and it finally struck me, Mac is Mills Lane.

jivjov posted:

Fried Chicken posted:

WastedJoker posted:

Bruce Willis.

Roger Tangerines
Apr 15, 2013

by Debbie Metallica
Bruce McGill.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
This is one of the most entertaining book series i've read.
My reaction to the true nature of harry's parasite was somewhat like Murphys. Harry is brain pregnant :v:

Also, Mac:

George Rouncewell fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 8, 2014

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I picture Mac as a completely bald and slightly younger-looking Michael Ironside.

I have no idea why. Mac's always just seemed to have that kind of compact/neat thing that Ironside has in Starship Troopers. Not the character he plays in that movie, obviously - just the look.

It might have to do with the way that Mac, in my mind, is the kind of guy that starts looking 35-50 at 25 and then stays there until he's 80.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 8, 2014

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

WastedJoker posted:

See, he's my mental Ebeneezer. I know Ebeneezer is bald, but that "gently caress you" attitude and backwoods accent he brought to Arlo on Justified fits so well with McCoy.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Ebeneezer is John Hurt and Mac is the bald Russian mobster from Arrow (who was also apparently one of the observers in Fringe).

mbottoms
Nov 15, 2012

Wouldn't you like to...

Illegal Username posted:

This is one of the most entertaining book series i've read.
My reaction to the true nature of harry's parasite was somewhat like Murphys. Harry is brain pregnant :v:

Also, Mac:

we have a winner.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Harry is Vincent Ventresca

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I'm sure someone else has already said this, but when I'm reading the books, I'm mentally picturing Harry as Christopher Eccleston.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
Harry is James Marsters. :colbert:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

Mooktastical posted:

Harry is James Marsters. :colbert:

See, my only complaint with these is that these men are way too youthful-looking. Harry may age slowly, but he's been beat to poo poo so many times that he needs to look more world-weary.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
It's doable with make up. Marsters did his voice perfectly in the audio books

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
You mean Michael Cerveris? He would be a good Mac.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Fried Chicken posted:

This is objective truth, because while Marsters is great with the voice, that man is too pretty to play Harry. :allears:
Ventresca looks very harry-like, and in recent years he looks a lot less youthful and a bit more rugged, makeup would only enhance that effect.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Benedict Cumberbatch as Harry, Martin Freeman as Murphy.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Masonity posted:

Benedict Cumberbatch as Harry, Martin Freeman as Murphy.

For real though, Benedict for Nicodemus.
also, the dude who plays Crowley on Supernatural is basically how I always imagined Binder.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

There's really nothing so dull as casting discussions like this.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Error 404 posted:

For real though, Benedict for Nicodemus.
also, the dude who plays Crowley on Supernatural is basically how I always imagined Binder.

Crowley would make a nice Nic if he was written with more charm.

Actually he wouldn't be a terrible Hades.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Error 404 posted:

dude who plays Crowley on Supernatural is basically how I always imagined Binder.

I would genuinely be surprised if Badger/Crowley wasn't who the majority of readers imagined

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Ornamented Death posted:

There's really nothing so dull as casting discussions like this.

So bring up another topic?

Like I'm about to! I'm embarking on my whole-series re-read that I forgot to do before Skin Game came out. Man the first couple books feel weird compared to the later entries. I wish we had had an entire book of Harry and Murphy's friendly relationship rather than starting the series with a pair of cases where she tries to arrest Harry and calls him the scum of the earth over and over.

I'd also completely forgotten that Red Court vampires are considered "creatures of the Nevernever". I was under the impression that they weren't made of ectoplasm and the like; the whole demonic bat form was 'real', just supernatural.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

jivjov posted:

I'd also completely forgotten that Red Court vampires are considered "creatures of the Nevernever". I was under the impression that they weren't made of ectoplasm and the like; the whole demonic bat form was 'real', just supernatural.
I think this is right, only their flesh masks were made of ectoplasm. A lot of beings from the NeverNever can visit the mortal world just fine without needing an ectoplasm body, but with less natural "energy" flying around it's not as comfortable as their natural home - a good analogy might be taking a human up to high altitude where the air is thinner. Coming across in spirit form only and using an artificial body at this end is just more convenient for those without a lot of individual power (e.g. Binder's goons).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Taratang posted:

I think this is right, only their flesh masks were made of ectoplasm. A lot of beings from the NeverNever can visit the mortal world just fine without needing an ectoplasm body, but with less natural "energy" flying around it's not as comfortable as their natural home - a good analogy might be taking a human up to high altitude where the air is thinner. Coming across in spirit form only and using an artificial body at this end is just more convenient for those without a lot of individual power (e.g. Binder's goons).

Ohh, I didn't even think of it that way! I tend to get into the trap of only thinking of the Faerie courts as 'creature of the Nevernever' and ignoring all the other beasties.

Foolie
Dec 28, 2013

jivjov posted:

So bring up another topic?

Like I'm about to! I'm embarking on my whole-series re-read that I forgot to do before Skin Game came out. Man the first couple books feel weird compared to the later entries. I wish we had had an entire book of Harry and Murphy's friendly relationship rather than starting the series with a pair of cases where she tries to arrest Harry and calls him the scum of the earth over and over.

I'd love to read that kind of prequel. I'd think that it's harder to really hook people if you start with affable wizard-helps-cop rather than horrifying terrible murder, but once you've been hooked, having that kind of background to the universe would be interesting. Especially in the Dresden Files universe, I implied downtime in and between books, see: Harry playing D&D. It probably isn't something that can be expanded on too much, but showing the 'real' life of characters makes all the saving-the-world nonsense seem much more important.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
I just found a copy of Kevin Hearn's new iron druid book Shattered at half price books. What is better than getting a book before it comes out for half price.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Not reading an Iron Druid book?

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
Post a picture of the cover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ZorajitZorajit posted:

On a tangential note, the nature of The White God confuses me some. Because the series recognizes that other gods, small 'g' exist, we've met like half a dozen, they're Nevernever entities just like everybody else. So, is the Abrahmic God following the same rules and is just obnoxiously powerful due to having three surviving (or more) religions acknowledging him? Or does Butcher just fiatting that in the Dresden-verse that Hindu, Shinto, Zoroastrians, etc. are all objectively not worshipping the right entity.

The impression I get is that "reality" is somewhat flexible in the Dresdenverse once you get far enough up the power scale -- i.e., the God of Abraham might be both just following the rules laid out for all the other small-g gods, and also the One True God of Creation.