Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler
Dear eu goons, wulin sucks in the same ways as wushu sucks so you might as well play with goon presence because it is always fun. Yes I am speaking from experience having played both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PassiveSentence
Jun 2, 2013
What's the exchange rate on Wushu Delabucks to Wulin Delabucks?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
It is about a 1:1 ratio but they all get sucked into an endless useless void in the end.

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf

funakupo posted:

Dear eu goons, wulin sucks in the same ways as wushu sucks so you might as well play with goon presence because it is always fun. Yes I am speaking from experience having played both.

Fun in the game for me is the events, and none of them are at a time i can play in. I still have my character in us wushu i suppose, but all the interesting stuff happens at 4-8am my time.

Also last time i had to use some kind of a tunnel software to keep the ping somewhat manageable, that meant paying ~30bux a month to play a broken game properly where you couldnt partake in events at all.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
BattlePing is like $5 a month :confused:

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf

Shalhavet posted:

BattlePing is like $5 a month :confused:

Right you are, guess i'll check the game again if i can find any fun from it without doing events. I got a shaolin but apparently they aren't very good anymore, i guess i should try vagrant or one of the villa sect.

Delerion fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 7, 2014

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
Vagrants are pretty fun. You get a kicks set that scales very well and shallow kung fu becomes ludicrously good. There should be a few other guys on at strange times too.

Hole Wolf
Apr 28, 2011

The vagrant blade set is a lot of fun too.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Shalhavet posted:

Vagrants are pretty fun. You get a kicks set that scales very well and shallow kung fu becomes ludicrously good. There should be a few other guys on at strange times too.

Once they unlock self reflection it's going to be amazing. So many damage bonuses to Shallow Kung Fu.

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf
For some reason i need to wait 24 hours to apply to the guild again, oh well. I'll try this betrayal stuff in the meantime.

Also snail support gave me my in-game password in less than 2 minutes after sending a ticket :aaa:

Delerion fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 8, 2014

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
So after many dailies of beating up Evil Tiger faction and healing people by smelling, the Shen dailies for some reason culminate in fighting a giant ape on top of a mountain.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
So...once I finish Beggar training, how soon can I interact with goons?

I didn't find anything about a Mumble or Ventrilo server on the private thread.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Well if you've taken some sort of life skill you should be able to apply at a guild administrator, in beggars or a city.

We don't really have our own voice chat anymore. And just use an ally's one. Someone in guild chat should be able to give the details.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Golden Bee posted:

So...once I finish Beggar training, how soon can I interact with goons?

I didn't find anything about a Mumble or Ventrilo server on the private thread.

Just post in here what your ingame name is and when someone is authorized to accept you is on at the same time as you (dumb I know) we can get you in.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

angerbot posted:

So after many dailies of beating up Evil Tiger faction and healing people by smelling, the Shen dailies for some reason culminate in fighting a giant ape on top of a mountain.

Tomorrow you may have to kill a giant tiger (and her unending litter of regular sized tigers), a turtle (do not touch the water or she reset almost instantly) or an eagle (who wont show up for half the fight, just hit the red circle on the ground), sometime more than once a day. The Shen hate the wildlife nearly as much as Beast Villa.

But i really liked the end of the story line. Turn out every family member is a rat bastard experimenting on human refuges and poor beggars except for the Xu daughter in law.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Are there any factions that are not incompetent assholes?

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Ratoslov posted:

Beast Villa is all beat up animals and beat up people who beat up animals.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Ratoslov posted:

Peach's main daily quest is all about killing assholes who have snuck onto the island, getting food for Dear Leader and keeping the island's drunk elder swathed in booze. Other quests include Air Cutter (+20 genius points and chance to get Rare Fish for exchanging for Leader tokens [peach top tier token]) wherein you use a move that propels a column of air forward across the water and smacks fish out or something. You turn those fish in for credits later to buy normal tokens.

Also, shark riding is more Dance Dance Revolution gameplay and you don't get the quest until tier 4 anyway. We also have a daily that you only lose 1-2 genius points if you idle through it (you can get 7 per time it comes up per day, which is twice, just by going in and smacking the boss and going idle). There's 0 reason to kill the boss unless you're wanting top damage which is only 10 genius points. You're far better off being a lazy oval office. Weekend events are similar since we have so few people in our faction. I just do the bare minimum and get nearly what everyone else gets for participating fully. Nearly every group event doesn't even have to be completed for everyone to get full credit either (other than the "treasure hunt" which you just need to get past the 1st phase which is pretty easy if enough people donate to it and then everyone gets full credit).

Oh and there's pai gow and some fishing quest that I just pay 35L total to skip all 3 every day and get my 300 rep and tokens and etc from them. gently caress stupid quests.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

randombattle posted:

Similarly, POMF has many events and quest involving saving girls from a life of slavery and then turning them into flower slaves. You see its different because even though you are doing menial tasks in a palace, you get to wear a pretty dress and learn kung fu while you're there.

The world of Jianghu is full of contradictions.

Hole Wolf
Apr 28, 2011

Ratoslov posted:

The Rootless storyline so far has been like 80% about taking advantage of someone stealing the imperial book of law to goad two opposing court factions into fighting mostly through murder and arson.

Rootless is pretty cool.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

randombattle posted:

We gently caress up pretty major in the last bit of our storyline.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
Bunch of us ran our Tang alts up the mountain and claimed Elder/Deacon titles.

There are pretty much no tangs left, it's kind of amazing.

wfwon
Apr 19, 2012

Downloading the game again, haven't touched it since beta. Is there a particular school that is in need at the moment? I remember I have a character in Wanderer's Valley, but would want to try something else.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
Betray everything and explore the factions.

wfwon
Apr 19, 2012

Shalhavet posted:

Betray everything and explore the factions.

Okay, I remember absolutely nothing about the game anymore. If I betray my original school (or get a leave of absence), is it possible to go back to it later? Also, instead of joining factions, can I try other schools with that method? If so, I can pretty much learn most of the skills in all the other schools? (Sorry if this is a newbie question).

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
What's your character's name, and how high level is it? If it's below a certain point we're probably gonna recommend just making a new one. Betraying a school deletes all your inners and skills from that school and lets you go do the Vagrants stuff and get their sets (kicks, blade, and op shallow kung fu)

Hole Wolf
Apr 28, 2011

wfwon posted:

Okay, I remember absolutely nothing about the game anymore. If I betray my original school (or get a leave of absence), is it possible to go back to it later? Also, instead of joining factions, can I try other schools with that method? If so, I can pretty much learn most of the skills in all the other schools? (Sorry if this is a newbie question).

Yep, yep, yep. If you join a school you'd have to betray it too to go back to WV though, and when you betray you lose every school set and internal.

wfwon
Apr 19, 2012

Shalhavet posted:

What's your character's name, and how high level is it? If it's below a certain point we're probably gonna recommend just making a new one. Betraying a school deletes all your inners and skills from that school and lets you go do the Vagrants stuff and get their sets (kicks, blade, and op shallow kung fu)

Xenni, Spiritually Balanced. I think my character is in one of the guild's spreadsheet. So, there isn't a way to move to another school instead?

Edit: Thanks Hole Wolf, is betraying to another school common practice? (not sure if I should stay with Wandering Valley).

wfwon fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jun 9, 2014

Hole Wolf
Apr 28, 2011

wfwon posted:

Xenni, Spiritually Balanced. I think my character is in one of the guild's spreadsheet. So, there isn't a way to move to another school instead?

Edit: Thanks Hole Wolf, is betraying to another school common practice? (not sure if I should stay with Wandering Valley).

A lot of people betrayed to Beggars. WV's one of the strongest schools right now, if you like their stuff.

wfwon
Apr 19, 2012

Hole Wolf posted:

A lot of people betrayed to Beggars. WV's one of the strongest schools right now, if you like their stuff.

Thanks for the info, didn't know WV is one of the strongest right now, I will just give my character a try again first (Especially reading over all my skills again).

I also just applied to the guild, my character name is Xenni

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf
Is the gtc wiki still around? could use some tips on leveling skills.

Delerion fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 9, 2014

wfwon
Apr 19, 2012

Delerion posted:

Is the gtc wiki still around? could use some tips on leveling skills.

Would want to know too, at least if someone had a copy of it somewhere.

On the other hand, AoW support team actually replied emails/tickets quite fast. I completely forgot my secondary password when I rejoined, mailed them, and they reset my password within 15 minutes.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Unfortunately the wiki was lost when the person hosting it disappeared and then the domain expired. Never managed to contact them. If you do some google searching you might be able to find bits of the public pages people copied off. Or maybe they got web archived at some point? Google cache has purged them by now.

People have considered restarting one but there's so much lost work that nobody has the time to rewrite.

Do you have any particular questions?

wfwon
Apr 19, 2012

FebrezeNinja posted:

Unfortunately the wiki was lost when the person hosting it disappeared and then the domain expired. Never managed to contact them. If you do some google searching you might be able to find bits of the public pages people copied off. Or maybe they got web archived at some point? Google cache has purged them by now.

People have considered restarting one but there's so much lost work that nobody has the time to rewrite.

Do you have any particular questions?

For me, I am just looking for a more detailed overview on the school/factions that I played, and maybe a recommended build. (I have a WV, thinking of starting a Beggar or Scholar).

Also, should have asked this earlier, but from reading the official forums, I can see that there are couple post ranting about pay to win. I do cash once in a while (if I really like the game), but I am wondering how powerful some of the cash shop items/skill sets are?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The cash sets are some of the strongest skills in the game because they provide massive control and red armor, which nullifies control while you are attacking. They still aren't the strongest sets, like the ancient sets can be gotten in game, but the rarity of those basically leads to buying currency to afford them.

A well played character (with low ping) can still beat a p2w ancient horse lord like we saw last Hua, where a t4 emei beat out Motuo. But its an incredibly steep challenge and all it takes is a ancient tai chi fist to 9 palaces rage to wipe out anyone.

randomcommoner
Sep 6, 2006
it's a-me

wfwon posted:

For me, I am just looking for a more detailed overview on the school/factions that I played, and maybe a recommended build. (I have a WV, thinking of starting a Beggar or Scholar).

Also, should have asked this earlier, but from reading the official forums, I can see that there are couple post ranting about pay to win. I do cash once in a while (if I really like the game), but I am wondering how powerful some of the cash shop items/skill sets are?
As a WV you have one of the best PVE skillsets in the game by default (perish blade), two sets more focused on pvp + your 4th set that seems to be pretty good (havent tried it yet), but you need to run the WV Secret Instance or buy its drops to get it.
Your 4th inner which is basically the last inner available in a school for now is also pretty decent, giving you lifesteal and crit.

As for restarting, if you have a returning character you should probably not since you'll get bags with pills to level your internals for a week and optionally pay money every weekend to level poo poo faster. If you wanna change schools just betray your current school, go vagrant (there's this guide if you're interested) and then join whatever school/faction you want, or you could just ask for a leave of absence out of the school to join a faction (you can only change schools by betraying, all the info is in the OP).
Normally you try to get all meridians from a school open before betraying, that means reaching lvl 30 fourth inner in that school because you'll lose every school skill but the meridians are permanently opened.

I actually was a beggar that wanted to try vagrant and ended up joining WV. I agree that beggar's inner was really powerful, but I'm enjoying my time as WV and perish blade makes pve content way faster, I miss suplexing people and beggars chat tho.

edit: also you should probably ask all this stuff in guild chat you'll get faster and probably more detailed answers

randomcommoner fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jun 10, 2014

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

My vip ran out and I dunno if I feel like reupping it to play more.

Wang
Apr 10, 2003

dance dance ferret revolution

randombattle posted:

My vip ran out and I dunno if I feel like reupping it to play more.

This really should be the thread tittle.

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf
The inner demon RE seems super hard, how do you beat it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Where do drunken master fragments come from, and how much do they usually sell for?

I really like the set and would be interested in leveling it, but I don't know how realistic that is.