Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Sanctum posted:

Someone explain Iron Keep bridge PVP to me. I've been putting red soapstone signs down (and getting invaded by 1 guy repeatedly.) Sometimes I get summoned to a fight club against other reds like in DS1. Since red phantoms can't heal, am I supposed to just leave after the fight if I've taken some hits? Or should I stay and fight the next guy with low health anyways?

Usually hosts are pyromancers with Warmth equipped so you can heal up, but if not then yeah you're just supposed to fight more dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Sanctum posted:

Someone explain Iron Keep bridge PVP to me. I've been putting red soapstone signs down (and getting invaded by 1 guy repeatedly.) Sometimes I get summoned to a fight club against other reds like in DS1. Since red phantoms can't heal, am I supposed to just leave after the fight if I've taken some hits? Or should I stay and fight the next guy with low health anyways?

Other times I find myself dueling the host, and unlike DS1 they aren't shy about healing if I give them half a chance. That's been slightly annoying because with high ADP it seems one can get away with healing before I can backstab even when I've been staying close. I can always go for hits, but it's problematic when they are able to heal more than they lose.

One bizarre time I was summoned by a host who was getting attacked by an invading red phantom, so I killed the phantom and another came and went for the host as well. Basically I killed 3 reds that all seemed to want to attack the host and not me, does that make me a terrible traitor to my covenant or what? :ohdear: The 2 that joined after me both started to jog right past me like I was there to help them kill the host. This isn't bellbros after all, I'm not going to fight the host 2v1 when I can just fight the other red. One of them got really cheesy after I 'surprise' attacked him, he ran into the keep and would use the santier spear lunge attack through the narrow doorway where swinging weapons would be useless. My caestus however, were not impeded by narrow doorways so his strategy was unsuccessful.

Well, Iron Keep PvP is basically just a community sanctioned place to have fun 1v1 fights. Sometimes people will host fight clubs there, where you're generally expected to stick around after winning (but you don't have to). If the host is adequately prepared, they'll have a copy of Warmth on hand so you can heal between fights, but not always. Basically do what you want there. Keep in mind the host doesn't always cast Warmth (or maybe they just don't have it.)

One of the things you'll need to learn about DaS2 PvP (at least if you're the Spirit) is that yes, hosts frequently will chicken out and heal, so you're going to want to either keep a method of healing onhand (meaning a spell) or a good way to punish estus. Dragon spirits can use estus themselves if you want to keep things even.

Mostly, though, just keep a black crystal on hand and have fun. It's a pretty relaxing way to get in some relatively even PvP.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

During The Rotten boss fight, I keep glancing back up at my health bar only to find that I'm missing half my health. This is even if the boss hadn't hit me yet. I doubt I'm taking damage from the fire as there are no fire particle effects or burning sounds. What gives?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Ariong posted:

During The Rotten boss fight, I keep glancing back up at my health bar only to find that I'm missing half my health. This is even if the boss hadn't hit me yet. I doubt I'm taking damage from the fire as there are no fire particle effects or burning sounds. What gives?

The fire absolutely does deal damage to you; a lot of damage, and fast.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Sanctum posted:

According to Miss Manners a good fight club host should be casting warmth to heal the reds between fights but if they're not yeah even if they're not keep fighting. Going on a streak with no heals is cool.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

King of Solomon posted:

The fire absolutely does deal damage to you; a lot of damage, and fast.

I know it deals damage. Are you saying that there's no indication that you've stepped in it unless you're looking at your health bar while you do it? I hope not, because it was pretty clear when you were being burned in DS1 and it would be prett idiotic if they took that out for no reason.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

According to Miss Manners a good fight club host should be casting warmth to heal the reds between fights but if they're not yeah even if they're not keep fighting. Going on a streak with no heals is cool.

Earlier today I was in a fight club with no Warmth. I won three fights in a row (with the last leaving me with about a single hit's worth of HP). The fight immediately after that last victory was a double kill. You really do feel loving incredible after that.

E:

Ariong posted:

I know it deals damage. Are you saying that there's no indication that you've stepped in it unless you're looking at your health bar while you do it? I hope not, because it was pretty clear when you were being burned in DS1 and it would be prett idiotic if they took that out for no reason.

I think there is an indication, but it can be pretty hard to see if you're focusing all of your attention on the boss. Just try to stay out of the fire, not much I can really say about it.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Well drat dude. In DS1 there was a firey effect that appeared around you, along with a very audible FWOOSH. Sucks to see the game becoming worse in a very real way.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Sanctum posted:

Basically I killed 3 reds that all seemed to want to attack the host and not me, does that make me a terrible traitor to my covenant or what? :ohdear:

The gently caress is this? You're a bloodbro, not a whimpy blue boy. "Honor" and "respect" are qualities you only maintain for your own amusement. Your primary goal is to spill blood, and it doesn't loving matter whos blood it is. The hosts blood, blue boy blood, bell cop blood, your blood; whatever. Someone needs to loving die and it doesn't matter how you go about it. Though not a requirement, making someone miserable in the process is a nice bonus.

Alright what I'm really saying is if you want to do "honorable" duels, join the dragons. Their entire covenant is built around fighting people 1 on 1.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

King of Solomon posted:

Earlier today I was in a fight club with no Warmth. I won three fights in a row (with the last leaving me with about a single hit's worth of HP). The fight immediately after that last victory was a double kill. You really do feel loving incredible after that.

I had one where the host would drop a "very good" after every fight. Had a pretty good streak going, parried the last guy out of the gate and the host very gooded before I reposted.

He got back up and owned me but it's nice to have people who believe in you.

E:

quote:

Someone needs to loving die and it doesn't matter how you go about it. Though not a requirement, making someone miserable in the process is a nice bonus

Insight into a posting philosophy.

Tokyo Sex Whale fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jun 8, 2014

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

aegof posted:

Greatweapon run. There's even one of the Large or Great Club in the Gutter, available at any time (that you can afford the cat ring). For full points, wear no armor.
Crit run. Daggers and parrying through the whole game. Barehanded parrying is extra credit.
Utility spell run. You can use magic, but nothing that does damage. Additional points for each different form of magic you use.
Bow run. Probably pretty tedious when fighting bosses, though. Props if you only attack things you can lock on to.

The large/great clubs are fantastic though so that one isn't much of a challenge.

Large club and naked is the way I beat the 2nd Pursuer fight the first time around, I was too slow with armour on and gently caress all agility for iframes.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ariong posted:

You are essentially walking on lava. Stop doing that.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Do a Belmont run but don't use the Old Whip.

Do an Angry Chef run with only the ladle.

Do a One Ring To Rule Them All run where you only wear one ring at a time and pretend to be an LotR character, doesn't matter which.

Do a Wolverine run where you only use claws and the only healing you're allowed to use is the Regen ring.

Do a magic run where you never use lock on. Ever.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I have been having a tough time summoning a friend in the dragon aerie. Using name engraved ring, in human form all the usual stuff. Rebooted, we are within 20k souls and 5 levels of each other and had been summoning fine earlier. Any tips and tricks?

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Ninkobei posted:

I have been having a tough time summoning a friend in the dragon aerie. Using name engraved ring, in human form all the usual stuff. Rebooted, we are within 20k souls and 5 levels of each other and had been summoning fine earlier. Any tips and tricks?

The Dragon Aerie and the Dragon Shrine technically do not have a boss until you piss it off, so you can only summon with the small engraved soapstone until then. You shouldn't even really need to until Dragon Shrine if at all, Dragon Aerie only has a few enemies and you can avoid the big scary ones.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

What stats should I put points into, as a strength character? I've been playing as a preist, but miracles aren't my style. I'm going to re-spec. I mostly use the mace, the shield that you get after the pursuer, archdrake robes, and a manikin mask.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Ariong posted:

What stats should I put points into, as a strength character? I've been playing as a preist, but miracles aren't my style. I'm going to re-spec. I mostly use the mace, the shield that you get after the pursuer, archdrake robes, and a manikin mask.
Some basic dex since some strength weapons require them, as far as I know Drakekeeper and Grym weapons have low or no dex requirements. If it's pure STR, ADP, STR, some Dex, VIT, VIG, END.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Ariong posted:

VIG for hp, VIT to comfortably (<70% load) wear what you want to wear, DEX for gear requirements (maces are like 7), I've been going 100 agility with 24 ADP and took 13 in ATT for the cast slots then dumped rest in STR/END

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

The mace has a Dex requirement of 5, and the Gyrm Great hammer has 4, both of which are lower than the preist's starting DEX. How high should I put STR before I stop putting points into it?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

The gently caress is this? You're a bloodbro, not a whimpy blue boy. "Honor" and "respect" are qualities you only maintain for your own amusement. Your primary goal is to spill blood, and it doesn't loving matter whos blood it is. The hosts blood, blue boy blood, bell cop blood, your blood; whatever. Someone needs to loving die and it doesn't matter how you go about it. Though not a requirement, making someone miserable in the process is a nice bonus.

Alright what I'm really saying is if you want to do "honorable" duels, join the dragons. Their entire covenant is built around fighting people 1 on 1.

I love it when I'm doing bell covenant and the host gets invaded by a blood or crip, even better if there's a second bellbro. Earlier today I had to kill a bluebro who only wanted to kill the host, because the other bellbro that got summoned with me really wanted to kill the cop.

We're all trying to kill the same guy but between our thirsts for blood, justice, and bells we just cannot let each other be.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Ariong posted:

The mace has a Dex requirement of 5, and the Gyrm Great hammer has 4, both of which are lower than the preist's starting DEX. How high should I put STR before I stop putting points into it?
I'd say 50 or bust to wield stuff one handed, but that's just me. Go 40-45 if you want.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Ariong posted:

50 for Havel's cosplay with Dragon Tooth

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

argondamn posted:

I love it when I'm doing bell covenant and the host gets invaded by a blood or crip, even better if there's a second bellbro. Earlier today I had to kill a bluebro who only wanted to kill the host, because the other bellbro that got summoned with me really wanted to kill the cop.

We're all trying to kill the same guy but between our thirsts for blood, justice, and bells we just cannot let each other be.

I have a dream, that one day the red, white, and blue phantoms of this great nation of Belfrytopia will come together in the common bond of brotherhood, and killing the host, to put aside our differences~ :911:

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.

Shindragon posted:

Wait what? :stare:

I've fought that boss many times. I've gotten parried, etc but holy poo poo that boss has a backstab?

Pretty sure the vast majority of weapon-based enemies/bosses have a backstab move. Given that most mobs are much more predictable and have much longer recovery animations than players, though, you just don't see them very often.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Captain Oblivious posted:

I have a dream, that one day the red, white, and blue phantoms of this great nation of Belfrytopia will come together in the common bond of brotherhood, and killing the host, to put aside our differences~ :911:

You're looking at it in the wrong way. Think about it. If the blue/red phantoms are invading, they have to be in the belltower. In the belltower. Next to the bell. They could be bellringers. That gray one over there? He might be standing with you now, but in his world, he could be a bellringer. You never know. You have to be safe, keep the bell safe. Kill them all.

animatorZed fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jun 8, 2014

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
It's a real shame I'm not good enough at PvP to actually win 1v2s and 1v3s, because I actually managed to encounter a blue defender a couple times today. :unsmith:

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

If I fight one more person wearing Havel gloves/pants I am going to poo poo myself I swear to god

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Havel's gloves look good and go with several chest armors. :colbert: The pants are lame though.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
The pants used to be great with the boar helm since they sort of made your legs look like beastman legs. That plus no shirt plus a greataxe made you look like some crazy minotaur motherfucker. It was boss.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

TGLT posted:

The Dragon Aerie and the Dragon Shrine technically do not have a boss until you piss it off, so you can only summon with the small engraved soapstone until then. You shouldn't even really need to until Dragon Shrine if at all, Dragon Aerie only has a few enemies and you can avoid the big scary ones.
Thanks for the quick reply, that worked!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Did you know the mimic eating you if you open it isn't actually related to you opening it? If you're in soul greatsword range or less within the timeframe of it opening up you just teleport into its mouth and (probably, I did on NG+) die.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Did you know the mimic eating you if you open it isn't actually related to you opening it? If you're in soul greatsword range or less within the timeframe of it opening up you just teleport into its mouth and (probably, I did on NG+) die.

I discovered this by trying to be clever with the first mimic in Earthen Peak and attacking it from behind.

It didn't work out well.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Regy Rusty posted:

I discovered this by trying to be clever with the first mimic in Earthen Peak and attacking it from behind.

It didn't work out well.
That was the way I first tried to kill a mimic.

It's really the only dangerous move they seem to have.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

why is there underboob :psyduck:

Also, help, I can't stop poisoning people in the belfry.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That dress wasnt made for women. :colbert: What, do you think it'd magically grow a bra if you put it on?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Just hit Shrine of Amana and I've got 80k souls to my name and I'm not sure what to spend it on. I can't upgrade any of my armor because it all needs Twinkling Titanite and my weapon needs Petrified Dragon Bone. Fresh out of both of those. I'm at level 100 but I don't really feel like I'm hurting for any more stats.

Is there anything at all worth spending them on?

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Kaubocks posted:

Just hit Shrine of Amana and I've got 80k souls to my name and I'm not sure what to spend it on. I can't upgrade any of my armor because it all needs Twinkling Titanite and my weapon needs Petrified Dragon Bone. Fresh out of both of those. I'm at level 100 but I don't really feel like I'm hurting for any more stats.

Buy titanite, buy boss armors, buy ascetics, items... weapons are usually the most fun to expiriment with.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

The fun of PvP is seriously diminished when you continually run into min-maxed (and probably hacked, yeah sure you have the CoC ring and rank 3 Brotherhood of Blood, guy,) characters that I do like, 50 damage to per attack.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

SynthOrange posted:

That dress wasnt made for women. :colbert: What, do you think it'd magically grow a bra if you put it on?

what happened to that bra, huh :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Kaubocks posted:

More levels. Seriously. If every stat isn't at 40, you aren't soulsing right. Or whatever. There's plenty of other crap to spend souls on. Get alternate armor sets from the dude in the house or whatever.

Meanwhile, I made a new character who has the tiny buckler in offhand and a rapier in the main, with ricard's rapier as an up-and-coming backup. She's appropriately named Parrymancer. Now to hop into the gutter and grab the pyromancer set to complete the pun.