Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Protocol 5 posted:

Yeah, day to day, Japan is really boring to be honest, but when things get weird they get really weird. Same thing with how Japanese people tend to be very conflict averse, but when shits ready jump off, better stand back, 'cause you'll have drunk middle-aged men using the judo throws they learned in high school gym class on a crowded train platform. Once lines start getting crossed, anything goes.

This is a bit of a simplification, but most of Japanese society operates on the basis of in-groups and out-groups. Which isn't particularly unique in and of itself, but there's a lot of stratification between the two in Japan, far moreso than you're likely to experience in America or Europe. I think it fosters a strange kind of "go big or go home" mentality, where if you're going to label yourself as an outsider there's really no point in halfassing it. You're a weirdo either way, might as well lean into it.

Here's one of my favorite bizarre Japanese fashion statements, known as "mori." It roughly translates into "heap," since it's all about caking on as much makeup and hair product as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

You all make fun of Japan for being weird, yet in your neighbourhood there is probably couple bronies and a furry.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Im sure people in Japan make blanket statements about things/people/behaviors in America so it all works out in the end.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sarchasm posted:

Here's one of my favorite bizarre Japanese fashion statements, known as "mori." It roughly translates into "heap," since it's all about caking on as much makeup and hair product as possible.

Are you sure you're thinking of mori? Last time I checked it meant forest/woods and was a style all about dressing up in layers of desaturated earthy-colored loose-fitting dresses, knit-sweaters and frills.

e: my ex-girlfriend was way into that stuff :gay:

e2: gently caress, this is the funny pictures thread and this definitely isn't about funny pictures. Sorry.

Your Computer has a new favorite as of 18:31 on Jun 7, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sarchasm posted:

This is a bit of a simplification, but most of Japanese society operates on the basis of in-groups and out-groups. Which isn't particularly unique in and of itself, but there's a lot of stratification between the two in Japan, far moreso than you're likely to experience in America or Europe. I think it fosters a strange kind of "go big or go home" mentality, where if you're going to label yourself as an outsider there's really no point in halfassing it. You're a weirdo either way, might as well lean into it.

Well, another aspect of Japanese society which also exists elsewhere but they ramp up to 11, is having a clique or some sort of group in which you're accepted, and this is something that Japanese society is extremely unapologetic about. It's why uniforms are a big deal; even for menial jobs, having a uniform is a huge source of pride in Japanese culture, and even people who are counter-culture will still exhibit the same aspects of going with the crowd (just not the usual crowd). You touched on it with the in-group and out-group a bit, you want to be part of a group (an uchi [ordinarily means "house" but in this context would be more like "clique"] or zoku ["tribe"]). The suicidal people in Japan tend to be the true loners, although they'll sometimes also go "hikikomori" and just basically snap and break up with society as a whole ("You don't want me, society? Fine! I'll stay home and never come out!" -slams door and makes good on his promise-)

In public schools, the rowdy "class clown" kid who's being disruptive doesn't get told to shut up by his teacher. He gets told to shut up by his classmates. And he listens, because there's an implied "nobody's going to want to associate with you if you keep this up, weird kid. You don't want to end up like that."

Have a picture from my time there.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

requesting jizzhands emote, not to be confused with jazzhands

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jizz

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Lmfao japan used to be badass and have samurais but now we sell that poo poo on TV and they give teenagers jizz hands. America loving rules.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

gleep gloop posted:

Lmfao japan used to be badass and have samurais but now we sell that poo poo on TV and they give teenagers jizz hands. America loving rules.

Behold! A Japanese print of anthropomorphized raccoon dogs using their giant ballsacks as umbrellas to get out of the rain. Super serious samurai culture right here guys!

Look there's more!

Europe on the other hand has always been forthright, serious, and moral.

Oh whoops never mind. Here's a dude blowing a trumpet with his rear end from a European illuminated manuscript.

Well howabout those ancient greeks! They were pretty moral guys and had Spartans!
Let see what this guy from ancient Pompeii saw fit to write down.
"The one who buggers a fire burns his penis".
hmmm....

-Zydeco- has a new favorite as of 19:12 on Jun 7, 2014

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

oldpainless posted:

Im sure people in Japan make blanket statements about things/people/behaviors in America so it all works out in the end.

Imagine you don't understand English (not that it matters)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0bHUtpXI3o

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Your Computer posted:

Are you sure you're thinking of mori? Last time I checked it meant forest/woods and was a style all about dressing up in layers of desaturated earthy-colored loose-fitting dresses, knit-sweaters and frills.

e: my ex-girlfriend was way into that stuff :gay:

e2: gently caress, this is the funny pictures thread and this definitely isn't about funny pictures. Sorry.

Nah, it's cool. There are a lot of kanji that can be read as mori, and you're right, one of them does mean forest. That seems to be the popular usage of the word in a fashion context these days, so when you Google "mori" you get a lot of understated ladies dressed in earth tones. But when you Google 盛り, you get pictures like this.

Here, have another. These are "gyaru," which comes from the Japanese pronunciation of the word "gal." It's influenced heavily by California surfer culture, complete with awful spray-on tan.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

The funny pictures thread is not the place to discuss how weird Japan is/isn't.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.

I used to go on omegle to troll people, starting out normal than pretending I was just released from jail because I was a murderer or something. Once I ended up talking to an ex-con and we swapped stories about how much the outside world has changed. Then I got weirded out and disconnected thats my story.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Triskelli posted:

With how hosed up culturally Asia seems to be, is there any light at the end of the tunnel?

Declining birth rates maybe.

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Is the thread title suppose to sound like someone being strangled or gagged as they say David Mitchehmmmhmhmh?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

Hoooly poo poo.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

CobiWann has a new favorite as of 02:56 on Oct 25, 2014

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Oh, hell, no. There must be something in Leviticus forbidding this abomination.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Fauxtool posted:

I think a lot of it is the western world imposing their morals on the rest of the world. Morals we never actually had.

A lot of the countries with little to no western contact are still fine. No one ever says, "you wont believe what is happening in Mongolia"

Fyi, neo-nazis are the hosed up poo poo happening in mongolia.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Eat the blue and the purple separately, otherwise you're taking your taste buds into your own hands.

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

RFC2324 posted:

Fyi, neo-nazis are the hosed up poo poo happening in mongolia.

Seriously? Mongolia, you guys got Genghis Khan, goddamn GENGHIS KHAN, for crap's sake and decide to dress up as Nazis instead? I don't even know what's wrong with you guys.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Achernar posted:

Seriously? Mongolia, you guys got Genghis Khan, goddamn GENGHIS KHAN, for crap's sake and decide to dress up as Nazis instead? I don't even know what's wrong with you guys.

It'd be like Brits dressing up as Nigel Farage instead of Churchill!

A Furious Foetus
Aug 15, 2009

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

KoRMaK posted:

Is the thread title suppose to sound like someone being strangled or gagged as they say David Mitchehmmmhmhmh?

There was some joking about airplane people. A Messerschmitt is is the name of a Nazi plane designer, a Nazi plane, and a Nazi German airplane manufacturer.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Are we the baddies?

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

I feel as though there's an S&M joke staring me right in the face, but I can't quite make it materialise.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!

ducttape posted:

There was some joking about airplane people. A Messerschmitt is is the name of a Nazi plane designer, a Nazi plane, and a Nazi German airplane manufacturer.

And a car! Cousin Itt's car, even.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Istari posted:

I feel as though there's an S&M joke staring me right in the face, but I can't quite make it materialise.

Say it three times in a row.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
I know your secrets
they're our secrets now.

Let's make new secrets

together.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Nice insect.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
BATS AREN'T BUGS!

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

If you're going to do that, go the whole way. Take out all the purples, because M&M doesn't have 'em.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Pi Soup
Oct 12, 2008

In case anyone's wondering where this is from here you go http://www.27bslash6.com/overdue.html. The full email chain is excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

That guy is loving hilarious.

• Locked thread