Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

effika posted:

My doctor just taps a device against my eye. It's tough not to blink but it's only uncomfortable for a second. Reading up on the puff method-- yeah, that sounds like torture, pretty much. Although not as scary as the "applanation" method, which is what I'm thinking Thunderpussy is talking about. :psypop:

(The hardest part with the pen thingie is not letting my bloodpressure skyrocket because OH NO UNCONTROLLED THING COMING AT MY EYE.)

My optometrist has used the air puff method and from reading about the alternatives it seems that everything else would be worse for me. Everything involving a solid object contacting my eye sounds far more uncomfortable and/or scary. I would think that I'd have some stupid fear that the guy would slip and jam the tool into my eyeball.

The air puff doesn't hurt at all, it doesn't dry your eye or make it itch or require an anesthetic or anything. The worst part of the air puff is how violent your body's (completely involuntary) reaction to it is. But it's not like they hose your eye down in a continuous blast, it's milliseconds.

I'm not trying to dismiss anybody's fears, I just put it in perspective for myself a long time ago. Now for me it's actually a little interesting, because I KNOW what's coming, I KNOW it doesn't hurt, and even after twenty years my body still whiplashes like it's getting shot.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Apr 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

perfektrtw posted:

This is strange. I'm 29 years old now and it's been about 3 1/2 years since my last eye exam, where I got a really weak prescription for mostly astigmatism. OD +0.25 -0.50 and OS plano -0.50. Even though they are mostly clear glass I guess, I found them quite helpful being on the computer most of the day. I decided to get my eyes checked again at one place and was given a new prescription of OD +0.50 -0.50 and OS +0.25 -0.75. I was told I was 20/40 without correction. I wasn't feeling the optometrist herself though who wouldn't answer my questions so I decided to get a second exam. The very next day, I went for the second exam. This second place was more old-school, but I sure liked everyone much better there. This time I got OD plano -0.50 OS -0.25 -0.50, and was told I was 20/30. Either way I see my eyes barely changed, but what's up with that major discrepancy between the two prescriptions and what the heck does that mean! If I were to buy a new pair (which I'm sure everyone will say not to), I would have no idea which prescription to go with. I am so tempted to get a 3rd exam now even though I am sure spending a lot of money for prescriptions that are basically clear glass.

An eye exam is a very participatory thing of your part. If you aren't feeling the greatest, have a headache, or dont give the 'correct' answer, it will effect the result.

So, when the doc says 'Which is better, #1 or #2' and you aren't sure, headache is bothering you, you're tired, etc et, and you choose #1 well that send you down one path for a solution to your vision problems.

You can go to 10 different docs in the same day and you will very likely get 10 similar, but different, Rx's.

The important thing is to speak up if something is wrong.....it's the reason most places offer a 'Dr's Re-do' at no charge withing 3 months of the date of the Rx when you purchase glasses.....but thats not necessarily everywhere so I would inquire about it.

Maverine
Oct 15, 2011
Got a question about prism in my glasses.

I now have glasses with prescription and prism, but I would like to start using contact lenses for my prescription and a pair of glasses with just the prism.

I went to the shop that sells me my lenses and glasses and asked them what my prism was (cba to buy a new pair of glasses with them, since they are fairly expensive), and they said the following: both eyes 3.5 basis out, corrected to 5.

What does corrected to 5 mean? The fine csr at the website where I want to order the glasses did not know either. Tried to google it, but to no avail.

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

Maverine posted:

Got a question about prism in my glasses.

I now have glasses with prescription and prism, but I would like to start using contact lenses for my prescription and a pair of glasses with just the prism.

I went to the shop that sells me my lenses and glasses and asked them what my prism was (cba to buy a new pair of glasses with them, since they are fairly expensive), and they said the following: both eyes 3.5 basis out, corrected to 5.

What does corrected to 5 mean? The fine csr at the website where I want to order the glasses did not know either. Tried to google it, but to no avail.

Hmmm...im not sure myself....let me ask a colleague or two and get back to you.

perfektrtw
Sep 13, 2004

Thunderpussy posted:

An eye exam is a very participatory thing of your part. If you aren't feeling the greatest, have a headache, or dont give the 'correct' answer, it will effect the result.

So, when the doc says 'Which is better, #1 or #2' and you aren't sure, headache is bothering you, you're tired, etc et, and you choose #1 well that send you down one path for a solution to your vision problems.

You can go to 10 different docs in the same day and you will very likely get 10 similar, but different, Rx's.

The important thing is to speak up if something is wrong.....it's the reason most places offer a 'Dr's Re-do' at no charge withing 3 months of the date of the Rx when you purchase glasses.....but thats not necessarily everywhere so I would inquire about it.

Very interesting. Okay, thanks. Since I liked the 2nd place better than the first, I guess I will go with them. I do believe they have 90 day re-dos if needed. The prescription is so slight though I wonder if I would even notice if something was wrong!

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
I wear B&L PureVision Toric contact lenses for roughly 15 hours per day. Prior to my current concern, I tend to wear each pair of lenses for 6-8 weeks until they start to feel worn out. I work in a data center for that is kept at or very close to 0% humidity, which leads to my contacts being dry at the end of the day. My eyes tend to be dry at the end of the day. Will these conditions affect the wearable lifespan of the contact? Should I be concerned with regular re-wetting/eyedrops for reasons other than slight discomfort? Eyedrops seem to not keep my eyes very moist, only taking them out and dousing them in solution, which isn't an option.

Thanks.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

Zodijackylite posted:

I wear B&L PureVision Toric contact lenses

Purevision is a monthly replacement contact lens. Try replacing them monthly and see how your eyes feel.

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

Zodijackylite posted:

I wear B&L PureVision Toric contact lenses for roughly 15 hours per day. Prior to my current concern, I tend to wear each pair of lenses for 6-8 weeks until they start to feel worn out. I work in a data center for that is kept at or very close to 0% humidity, which leads to my contacts being dry at the end of the day. My eyes tend to be dry at the end of the day. Will these conditions affect the wearable lifespan of the contact? Should I be concerned with regular re-wetting/eyedrops for reasons other than slight discomfort? Eyedrops seem to not keep my eyes very moist, only taking them out and dousing them in solution, which isn't an option.

Thanks.

Monthly lens. Stop overwearing them and I'm sure the problems will go away.

Also, perhaps take a break from wearing the lenses now and again to give your eyes a rest.

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under
I can only say from experience that the longer you wear your lenses, the less oxygen your eyes get. My cornea changed shape due to the lack of oxygen it was getting because I was abusing my lenses.

Now, if you wear hard contacts, you're probably OK because they have a permeable surface but they hurt like sand in my eyes.
I on the other hand wore high index (+14) soft lenses every day for far too long. 14+ hours and then some. Made my cornea change shape due to the lack of oxygen.

I got Implantable contacts for the princely sum of $4500 per eye. That is a custom cultured lens that gets implanted into your eyeball via a needle right over your cornea.

WORKS straight away, like putting a contact lens on top of your eye.

Benefits are: can be removed if there are any problems. ALSO can be removed and a better script put in 30 years down the track if it is needed.

I have to say it was the best surgery I have ever undertaken. Now I wake up with full 20:20 vision 8 years later.

Talk to your doctor, for reals.

Lt. Broccoli
Jun 4, 2006

It just sits there. Completely harmless.
It's been about 8 years since I've had an eye exam, so things have changed a lot and I could use some serious advice. I work contracting now which has great pay but no benefits - are there any recommendations to getting independent vision insurance before going into a doctor's office to get looked at? I've checked around and VSP seems okay, but I don't have perspective on the costs with and without insurance these days.

I've also read you're liable to get a better price from online retailers such as Zenni once you've gotten an Rx, but I'm not sure how that holds up now. Any basic advice here would be really appreciated, I'm only looking for one pair of all-use glasses, I'm not a fancy lad.

hotgreenpeas
Apr 12, 2008

Geckoagua posted:

It's been about 8 years since I've had an eye exam, so things have changed a lot and I could use some serious advice. I work contracting now which has great pay but no benefits - are there any recommendations to getting independent vision insurance before going into a doctor's office to get looked at? I've checked around and VSP seems okay, but I don't have perspective on the costs with and without insurance these days.

I've also read you're liable to get a better price from online retailers such as Zenni once you've gotten an Rx, but I'm not sure how that holds up now. Any basic advice here would be really appreciated, I'm only looking for one pair of all-use glasses, I'm not a fancy lad.

I have prescription sunglasses from Zenni Optical and all-around glasses from Warby Parker. I bought them both when I didn't have insurance. I just found the cheapest place to get an eye exam near me (turned out to be Sears) and asked for a copy of my prescription.

The eye exam was about $60 bucks, the frames and lenses were $50 for the sunglasses, $125 for the other pair. If I didn't have such bad eyesight that high index lenses were a necessity, they both would have been $30 cheaper.

Now that I have vision coverage, the online stores are still a better deal. My lenses alone cost almost $300; the $130 the insurance allots for glasses and frames, maybe covers the frame, if I pick one of the budget/ugly options. So, me and my husband are using the insurance to pay for our exams and a supply of contact lenses and will be buying our glasses online. In my opinion, the insurance doesn't really save you that much money.

hotgreenpeas fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 25, 2014

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

Geckoagua posted:

Can't help there unfortunately. Online may be cheaper, especially for single vision lenses. Don't order bifocals or progressives online as the measurements for those need to be more precise.

Ive recommended that friends order online for their single vision needs, but they cannot claim those glasses through insurance. The cost isnt usually that big of a deal for them. Most of the timethey use what insurance they have on their exam and then a pair of glasses, and then order online as they need them.

As to where to find insurance.....well, i'm not an insurance broker so i wouldn't know where to steer you.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
This is a really stupid question, but I was a bit nervous at the optician earlier today and want to check - I've been given a prescription that says it's for distance and I remember her saying I'll need to wear glasses all the time when driving. Does this mean that I only need to wear them when driving (and I don't drive yet), or is some day-to-day wear acceptable/necessary? I feel like a bit of a twat having pub signs look blurry when I'm walking to them but I'm not sure if I just need to suck that up or whether I'm meant to wear specs in my general life. Basically: what exactly is a distance prescription for?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I take it you've never had glasses before?

When I first got mine, I only wore them part-time. At the movies, watching TV, sometimes in school, and had I been old enough, I would have worn them when driving. That worked for a while, but it was irritating to carry them around all the time.

Eventually, I got a new pair that I actually liked, and started wearing them all the time. It turns out that the most convenient way to carry them around is on my face.

My friend on the other hand was still in denial for years, and often didn't wear his glasses, or had lost them somewhere. I would often have to ride up front to help read the street signs. Now, with places like Zenni optical, he has a ton of pairs laying around, stashed in convenient locations, and gets a lot more wear out of them.

You will probably go though a similar adjustment period, figuring out when you need them, and what works for you. I suppose the only time you'll be compelled to wear them is while you're driving, but the rest is up to you and your eyes.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Ah ok, thank you! I had glasses for reading when I was much, much younger, but that was a long time ago and the instructions were pretty simple, which is why this was a bit more confusing.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I have glasses for distance and I don't think my prescription is too crazy and I wear them all the time. I can still see just fine up close with them but without them, anything further than like 6 feet just isn't as clear.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Anyone have suggestions for places that will sell me (good - like 1.74s) lenses for my own frames? I've got an old pair of Oakley frames that I want to turn into sunglasses, but everywhere I've gone has basically said the cost was $50 less than buying a whole new frame and lens set. Blatantly keeping the markup the same as if they sold a full pair.

I'm in Ontario/Canada, so I'm wondering if it's just easier to go online and mail the frames somewhere.

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

Bollock Monkey posted:

This is a really stupid question, but I was a bit nervous at the optician earlier today and want to check - I've been given a prescription that says it's for distance and I remember her saying I'll need to wear glasses all the time when driving. Does this mean that I only need to wear them when driving (and I don't drive yet), or is some day-to-day wear acceptable/necessary? I feel like a bit of a twat having pub signs look blurry when I'm walking to them but I'm not sure if I just need to suck that up or whether I'm meant to wear specs in my general life. Basically: what exactly is a distance prescription for?

Distance basically means wear them all day. It's going to crisp and focus up your blurred vision.

That being said, as they are 'only for driving',feel free to wear them as much or as little as you like. I'm sure that you'll like things better with them on, so feel free to wear them all the time. They won't harm you.

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

unknown posted:

Anyone have suggestions for places that will sell me (good - like 1.74s) lenses for my own frames? I've got an old pair of Oakley frames that I want to turn into sunglasses, but everywhere I've gone has basically said the cost was $50 less than buying a whole new frame and lens set. Blatantly keeping the markup the same as if they sold a full pair.

I'm in Ontario/Canada, so I'm wondering if it's just easier to go online and mail the frames somewhere.

Depending on the curvature of those oakley frames, good luck finding somewhere that will do them in that 1.74 material. It's generally far too flat to put into a wrapped Oakley frame....however its going to depend on the actual style.

Lenses cost what they cost. I'm not aware of any place that cuts a deal on lenses only in Ontario, and I have no idea of any online retailer that would allow you to mail them your frame.

1.74 polarized lenses aren't cheap. That mark up is there to cover warranties, redos, customer complaints, etc. that invariably EVERY patient comes back with at some point or another.

The $$ in optical is usually made from either frames, lenses, or a combo of the two. Its not uncommon to have a pay half price for new frames and lenses (because they make $$ on the frame, even at half price) and it be almost the cost of the lenses themselves (because they aren't making the same margins there) hence your "for $50 more you can get a new set"

Now, thats not for every company, but the extra costs are they to pay for staffing, a physical store, etc etc

Best advice I can give is to just shop around.crack open the phone book and start dialing.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My glasses from Zenni just arrived. The frames fit well, but the prescription feels too strong. I've been -2.00 in both eyes for a while and they're 1.57 index lenses, so there's nothing fancy.

The only thing that changed is my pupillary distance to 64mm when my previous pair was 63mm and not from Zenni. This was intentional as I have a larger than average head and every technique I tried gave me 64mm more often than 63mm, from measuring with a ruler in front of the mirror to uploading a face-on image of myself with a credit card magstripe below my nose. Surely 1mm couldn't make such a big difference, though I suppose if there's a 1mm margin for error in manufacturing, the new lenses could be 65mm while the old ones were 62mm.

While a breaking in period for lenses doesn't make sense, the old lenses like have wear and micro scratches. This sensation of the prescription being too strong happens very briefly when I put in my -2.00 contacts but quickly subsides.

edit: I just asked my roommate to measure with a ruler. I was lying on the floor, staring up at the ceiling light to dilate my pupils, so he was able to get a steady, precise measurement. He got 2.5" spot on, which is 63.5mm.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 08:02 on May 15, 2014

Souvlaki ss
Mar 7, 2014

It's not tomorrow until I sleep
I'm gonna stay in the USA for quite some time and for sure I'll have to get new contacts while in there. My prescription is a bit weird and I was wondering if I'll get any issues getting the right contacts for a decent price (specially because everyone get a bit confused with my eyes and it took a long time to get a ophthalmologist/optometrist that knew what they were doing)
I used to have Toric RGP lenses, but my eyes were getting super dry so I changed to:
In my right eye I use a RGP semi sclerar and in my left a soft lense (air optix).
My right eye is completely done, I have super high myopia, high astigmatism and a flat cornea (yay! haha) but my left is not so terrible. My prescription changes all the time (actually quite fast, I have to do check ups every 6 months)

I don't really know if is normal to buy contacts that aren't in pairs. Also beside bringing my last prescription, is there any other information I should ask my optometrist?

any advice would be really appreciated!

Souvlaki ss fucked around with this message at 09:15 on May 15, 2014

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

My glasses from Zenni just arrived. The frames fit well, but the prescription feels too strong. I've been -2.00 in both eyes for a while and they're 1.57 index lenses, so there's nothing fancy.

The only thing that changed is my pupillary distance to 64mm when my previous pair was 63mm and not from Zenni. This was intentional as I have a larger than average head and every technique I tried gave me 64mm more often than 63mm, from measuring with a ruler in front of the mirror to uploading a face-on image of myself with a credit card magstripe below my nose. Surely 1mm couldn't make such a big difference, though I suppose if there's a 1mm margin for error in manufacturing, the new lenses could be 65mm while the old ones were 62mm.

While a breaking in period for lenses doesn't make sense, the old lenses like have wear and micro scratches. This sensation of the prescription being too strong happens very briefly when I put in my -2.00 contacts but quickly subsides.

edit: I just asked my roommate to measure with a ruler. I was lying on the floor, staring up at the ceiling light to dilate my pupils, so he was able to get a steady, precise measurement. He got 2.5" spot on, which is 63.5mm.

There's a chance that the Rx that you ordered is incorrect.

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

Plydoh posted:

I'm gonna stay in the USA for quite some time and for sure I'll have to get new contacts while in there. My prescription is a bit weird and I was wondering if I'll get any issues getting the right contacts for a decent price (specially because everyone get a bit confused with my eyes and it took a long time to get a ophthalmologist/optometrist that knew what they were doing)
I used to have Toric RGP lenses, but my eyes were getting super dry so I changed to:
In my right eye I use a RGP semi sclerar and in my left a soft lense (air optix).
My right eye is completely done, I have super high myopia, high astigmatism and a flat cornea (yay! haha) but my left is not so terrible. My prescription changes all the time (actually quite fast, I have to do check ups every 6 months)

I don't really know if is normal to buy contacts that aren't in pairs. Also beside bringing my last prescription, is there any other information I should ask my optometrist?

any advice would be really appreciated!

Getting lenses by individual eye is not all that uncommon.

Just get your file transferred to wherever you will be ordering the lenses from,and specifically ask for a simple re-order. There shuldn't be any issues.

Batmat
Feb 24, 2011
Quick question - how safe is it to use (multi-purpose) solution past their expiration date? I found some old bottles in my drawer and they're both sealed and unopened - one expired in November 2013 (I'll probably chuck this one out) and the other expires in July 2014 - so this one is still okay for now, but after July would it be risky to keep using it?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Josh Lyman posted:

pupillary distance :words:
Have you been wearing mostly contacts until you got these new glasses? Switching between glasses and contacts always disorients me for awhile, but your eyes adjust if you keep it up. It's not necessarily that they're different strengths -- things just look strange because of where the correction is related to your eye. Like dimensionality is a little off, if that makes sense.

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

Batmat posted:

Quick question - how safe is it to use (multi-purpose) solution past their expiration date? I found some old bottles in my drawer and they're both sealed and unopened - one expired in November 2013 (I'll probably chuck this one out) and the other expires in July 2014 - so this one is still okay for now, but after July would it be risky to keep using it?

Toss them. When they expire, they expire.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
I just went back to the place I got my eyes checked at to get my pd (they charged me $15 cash which is bullshit, but whatever I was in a rush). When the doctor measured the distance he said "66" out loud to the receptionist, who then wrote down 64/61 on a slip of paper to give me. I'm not assuming that the receptionist wrote it down wrong, but how does 66 correspond to 64/61?

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
So I just got a new box of contacts after several months going without them and just wearing my glasses to save money. Now I'm wearing them, and I'm having issues where my vision is blurry around what I assume are the edges of where the contacts meet my eye. And it's not just when I try to look out of the edges of my eyes; it's noticeable to some degree or another all the time. I can make images "ghost" and become clear again by slightly shifting my head. It's especially noticeable when I'm watching television for some reason.

I've actually noticed this happening with these contacts in the past, but I guess I assumed it was normal and ignored it. Now I supposed it's more noticeable since I haven't worn them in a while. Still, this doesn't seem right, and it's really distracting now.

I'm assuming this is because the contacts are the wrong size for my eyes, correct? The problem is I've called the eye doctor, and they said this brand (Ciba Vision Dailies AquaComfort Plus) only comes in one size. Why would a brand only come in one size? Should I just try to switch brands and see if that fixes the problem? Should I just put up with it?

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 22, 2014

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

GenericGirlName posted:

I just went back to the place I got my eyes checked at to get my pd (they charged me $15 cash which is bullshit, but whatever I was in a rush). When the doctor measured the distance he said "66" out loud to the receptionist, who then wrote down 64/61 on a slip of paper to give me. I'm not assuming that the receptionist wrote it down wrong, but how does 66 correspond to 64/61?

Nope. I don't know what those 2 sets of numbers have to do with each other.

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

Benedick Cuckold posted:

So I just got a new box of contacts after several months going without them and just wearing my glasses to save money. Now I'm wearing them, and I'm having issues where my vision is blurry around what I assume are the edges of where the contacts meet my eye. And it's not just when I try to look out of the edges of my eyes; it's noticeable to some degree or another all the time. I can make images "ghost" and become clear again by slightly shifting my head. It's especially noticeable when I'm watching television for some reason.

I've actually noticed this happening with these contacts in the past, but I guess I assumed it was normal and ignored it. Now I supposed it's more noticeable since I haven't worn them in a while. Still, this doesn't seem right, and it's really distracting now.

I'm assuming this is because the contacts are the wrong size for my eyes, correct? The problem is I've called the eye doctor, and they said this brand (Ciba Vision Dailies AquaComfort Plus) only comes in one size. Why would a brand only come in one size? Should I just try to switch brands and see if that fixes the problem? Should I just put up with it?

thats a good guess.

Yes, they only come is 1 size. its a generic 'one size fits all" thing because to make them in many different parameters would be costly. I'd try a different brand that is in a different size, yes. Call your fitter and set up an appointment :)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Hey -- I'm going in for an eye exam soon. I've never had vision correction before, but when I turned 30 I went in to renew my driver's license and I only barely passed the vision exam. Major wake-up call.

My question is this: as someone who has never had any sort of vision correction, would it be wise to "bee-line" straight for contact lenses, or would it be better to wear glasses at first? It's entirely possible that I'm imagining a concern that isn't there. The idea of pushing anything into my eyeball is a little disconcerting, but I feel like it'd be pretty easy to get over it.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

Thunderpussy posted:

Nope. I don't know what those 2 sets of numbers have to do with each other.

...Oh. Should I concerned then? The place was very hesitant about even giving me my pd in the first place. would they purposely lie to me about mine? I would really like to be able to order new glasses online since I'm moving to a new town next and will be carless for at least most of the summer. :/ (Also, not ever wanting to pay $100s for glasses ever again.)

EDIT: Ugh, I think I'm going to just go with 66, because what does 64/61 even loving mean?!

GenericGirlName fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 24, 2014

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

GenericGirlName posted:

...Oh. Should I concerned then? The place was very hesitant about even giving me my pd in the first place. would they purposely lie to me about mine? I would really like to be able to order new glasses online since I'm moving to a new town next and will be carless for at least most of the summer. :/ (Also, not ever wanting to pay $100s for glasses ever again.)

EDIT: Ugh, I think I'm going to just go with 66, because what does 64/61 even loving mean?!

64/61 would mean your distance and near PD....but 66 would ALSO mean your distance pd.....so not sure what they are trying to pull on you...

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

Glory of Arioch posted:

Hey -- I'm going in for an eye exam soon. I've never had vision correction before, but when I turned 30 I went in to renew my driver's license and I only barely passed the vision exam. Major wake-up call.

My question is this: as someone who has never had any sort of vision correction, would it be wise to "bee-line" straight for contact lenses, or would it be better to wear glasses at first? It's entirely possible that I'm imagining a concern that isn't there. The idea of pushing anything into my eyeball is a little disconcerting, but I feel like it'd be pretty easy to get over it.

glasses always first.

contacts and be ripped and torn....or their supple runs out. you may get an eye infection. you also are not supposed to wear contact lenses 365 days each year. your eyes need a break.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

Thunderpussy posted:

64/61 would mean your distance and near PD....but 66 would ALSO mean your distance pd.....so not sure what they are trying to pull on you...

Okay, I think I see what happened here then. So my glasses are only for distance (but I feel convinced they make everything look better so I wear them all the time), so if the receptionist/lady-who-gave-me-info made a genuine mistake and misheard 66 for 64 (:psyduck:) then would it make sense for my real pd to be 66/61?

I was immediately critical of the weird numbers because of horror stories I've heard of people trying to get their pd, but after mulling it over it just doesn't seem right. This is the same lady who spent 15 minutes helping me go through all of the budget and insurance glasses available in the store and didn't get annoyed at "losing money" when I went with the insurance glasses instead of the expensive frames that looked good. Besides she had already taken my $15 cash why lie after if she clearly doesn't care that much about taking as much money from me as possible for frames?

This is so dumb.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Thunderpussy posted:

glasses always first.

contacts and be ripped and torn....or their supple runs out. you may get an eye infection. you also are not supposed to wear contact lenses 365 days each year. your eyes need a break.

Makes sense. Thanks -- I hate being That Guy who asks stupid questions, even if there's really no chance or expectation that I would know better.

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

GenericGirlName posted:

Okay, I think I see what happened here then. So my glasses are only for distance (but I feel convinced they make everything look better so I wear them all the time), so if the receptionist/lady-who-gave-me-info made a genuine mistake and misheard 66 for 64 (:psyduck:) then would it make sense for my real pd to be 66/61?

I was immediately critical of the weird numbers because of horror stories I've heard of people trying to get their pd, but after mulling it over it just doesn't seem right. This is the same lady who spent 15 minutes helping me go through all of the budget and insurance glasses available in the store and didn't get annoyed at "losing money" when I went with the insurance glasses instead of the expensive frames that looked good. Besides she had already taken my $15 cash why lie after if she clearly doesn't care that much about taking as much money from me as possible for frames?

This is so dumb.

66/62 or 66/63. nothing to worry about.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Just started back on contacts after several years with glasses. I'm using Acuvue Oasys with hydraclear (the two-weekly disposables), and man are they comfy compared to my old ones, I would get super dry eyes after about 6 hours and also could feel them move when I blinked.

My optician does them for a good price, but what about cleaning solution? I got some free stuff with my lenses, but are there any differences between brands when I need to buy some more?

e: I'm in the UK and some of the most highly recommended solutions I've seen in this thread aren't available here (or are super expensive)

Another thing, I have a slight astigmatism but am on the regular Oasys; is this just because the astigmatism is too small to warrant the special lenses? I've got a follow-up appointment in a couple of weeks so will ask them but thought I'd mention it here too.

Lady Gaza fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 8, 2014

Ice
May 29, 2014
One of the astigmatisms in my eyes has a cylinder of -1.00. All the contact lenses I can find have only -0.75 and -1.25 as options. Are there any that have -1.00 that you know of? My contact lenses now use -0.75 instead, and I can definitely tell the difference when reading or using a computer (My glasses have the correct prescription). It is only a small difference I guess, but printed characters all look slightly weird with the incorrect prescription. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thunderpussy
May 1, 2008

Lady Gaza posted:

Just started back on contacts after several years with glasses. I'm using Acuvue Oasys with hydraclear (the two-weekly disposables), and man are they comfy compared to my old ones, I would get super dry eyes after about 6 hours and also could feel them move when I blinked.

My optician does them for a good price, but what about cleaning solution? I got some free stuff with my lenses, but are there any differences between brands when I need to buy some more?

e: I'm in the UK and some of the most highly recommended solutions I've seen in this thread aren't available here (or are super expensive)

Another thing, I have a slight astigmatism but am on the regular Oasys; is this just because the astigmatism is too small to warrant the special lenses? I've got a follow-up appointment in a couple of weeks so will ask them but thought I'd mention it here too.

Clear Care, Clear Care, Clear Care!!

And yes, its not uncommon to not correct slight amounts of astigmatism in contact lenses.

• Locked thread