Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm about to go on a trip with a TON of driving.

Do these work? http://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-invert...ar+adapter+plug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Turtlicious posted:

I don't know about that one, I have a Canadian Tire one that is similar (though corded instead of direct plug in) and it works perfectly. On really long trips where we can't stop we use it to run a kettle to reheat and rehydrate food and it hasn't blown a fuse from that.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Turtlicious posted:

I can't tell you if that specific one works, but I've used a converter to charge up my own laptop before. Weeks on end even. So the principle is definitely possible.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Anyone know if simply setting up a multi-user Quickbooks file on a mapped network drive for a small business is a terrible idea? Or should I always start from installing Quickbooks on the server itself and going from there?

I don't see why the mapped drive wouldn't work, but I also know nothing about Quickbooks.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

I'd go one bigger than that. But yes, they work.

bouruarofuto
Jan 9, 2013
Some time ago I remember reading a thread where people could describe images they once saw, but could no longer find - mostly funny/bizarre internet images. People were pretty good at identifying the images and providing them. Does that thread still exist? Or if I'm crazy and it never existed - where would be the best place to do something like this? There's an image I saw online a while ago that I've never been able to find again.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

bouruarofuto posted:

Some time ago I remember reading a thread where people could describe images they once saw, but could no longer find - mostly funny/bizarre internet images. People were pretty good at identifying the images and providing them. Does that thread still exist? Or if I'm crazy and it never existed - where would be the best place to do something like this? There's an image I saw online a while ago that I've never been able to find again.

Request images thread, stickied in PYF.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Thanatosian posted:

Anyone know if simply setting up a multi-user Quickbooks file on a mapped network drive for a small business is a terrible idea? Or should I always start from installing Quickbooks on the server itself and going from there?

I don't see why the mapped drive wouldn't work, but I also know nothing about Quickbooks.

Recent versions of QuickBooks (depending on your edition) have a "server install" option which sets up the background multiuser connection processes without requiring a unique license. Heavily recommended if you're working in a shared environment like that.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

Turtlicious posted:

Take a look at the Waze application. Its good for long trips.

The Vikings
Jul 3, 2004

ODIN!!!!!

Nap Ghost
I'm looking for a hollow rock to hide something in. No, not a key, it's for a gift, I want the person to 'find' it on a geology hike and smash it open with a rock hammer. I'm thinking two half shell like pieces that I could glue together with the (hammer resistant) thing inside. Googling suggests working with rocks is hard and probably beyond my resources at home. I haven't come across any obvious choices to buy or machine shops that advertise this. Anyone heard of anything like this?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You can buy unbroken geodes. From there you would just need an appropriate saw and then glue to put it back together.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
Why not just make something out of concrete and paint it to look like a rock?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ladron posted:

Why not just make something out of concrete and paint it to look like a rock?

He could even make a mold from a rock then cast it in plaster with whatever in it that he wants.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Wrap it in burlap then coat it with concrete.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There's always paper mache.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

You could use a regular rock and act surprised when there's nothing inside.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You could also use a turtle. They naturally contain treasure anyway.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

The Vikings posted:

I'm looking for a hollow rock to hide something in. No, not a key, it's for a gift, I want the person to 'find' it on a geology hike and smash it open with a rock hammer. I'm thinking two half shell like pieces that I could glue together with the (hammer resistant) thing inside. Googling suggests working with rocks is hard and probably beyond my resources at home. I haven't come across any obvious choices to buy or machine shops that advertise this. Anyone heard of anything like this?

A paleontology person could do something like that pretty easily with a real concretion, a rock saw, and an air scribe. You might contact a natural history museum to see if anyone wants to help.

However, you can approximate sandstone with clear epoxy and sand. Mix them together. You won't need much epoxy, just add enough so that the sand clumps and stays put. It'll get much, much harder once it dries. Form it around your object and tada! You might paint it or carve some grooves or something.

If it looks shiny at the end, you used too much epoxy. Apply a bit of elmers with a brush and then roll it around in some sand.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Does applying anti-perspirent make your -other- sweat glands work harder? What would happen of you covered your whole body in it except just one hand or something. Would it sweat like crazy?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
If someone's visiting their identical twin in prison, how do they make sure the right one comes back out?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

FrozenVent posted:

If someone's visiting their identical twin in prison, how do they make sure the right one comes back out?

One is usually in prison clothes or behind some sort of barrier. All visits are monitored so it's not like they can strip down and swap clothing.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

FrozenVent posted:

The one in the orange prison jumpsuit is probably the prisoner.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

DNA tests

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
I've visited people in a federal penitentiary and they used a stamp with UV ink on your hand/wrist. There was a guard with a blacklight who checked your stamp when you entered and exited the visitation room.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Identical twins will have the same DNA. The friction ridges on their finger will form differently though, so fingerprints would allow you to tell them apart.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

DELETED posted:

I've visited people in a federal penitentiary and they used a stamp with UV ink on your hand/wrist. There was a guard with a blacklight who checked your stamp when you entered and exited the visitation room.

Are you sure you didn't just go to a nightclub?

Sounds very avant-garde.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Baldbeard posted:

Does applying anti-perspirent make your -other- sweat glands work harder? What would happen of you covered your whole body in it except just one hand or something. Would it sweat like crazy?

No.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Baldbeard posted:

It actually gives you sweat-based superpowers. One documented example is this picture, where the antiperspirant-covered man waved at a passerby.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Nighthand posted:

It actually gives you sweat-based superpowers. One documented example is this picture, where the antiperspirant-covered man waved at a passerby.

I fuckin' knew it.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Could someone identify this bug for me? I live outside of Philadelphia for reference, these bugs are coming into my house, and I've never encountered them before.

It looks like a wasp, right? But it's much smaller than a wasp, and it's not aggressive. It flies around calmly and silently, like a winged ant, and when you swat at it repeatedly, it doesn't try to attack you. It's pretty chill for a wasp-like bug.

Could it be a cicada killer? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sphecius_speciosus

I've found at least one of them in my house every day for the past week, I can't tell where they're coming from, and I'd like to know how afraid of them I should be before I freak out.

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 8, 2014

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Rabbit Hill posted:

Could someone identify this bug for me? I live outside of Philadelphia for reference, these bugs are coming into my house, and I've never encountered them before.

I'm not sure what it is, but definitely not a cicada killer. I'll browse around and edit if I find the answer.

Edit: I think it's a type of Potter wasp (aka mason wasp). The internet says they rarely sting, but if they do it would be similar to any other bee/wasp.

Pogo the Clown fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 8, 2014

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Rabbit Hill posted:

It looks like a wasp, right? But it's much smaller than a wasp, and it's not aggressive. It flies around calmly and silently, like a winged ant, and when you swat at it repeatedly, it doesn't try to attack you. It's pretty chill for a wasp-like bug.

Could it be a cicada killer? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sphecius_speciosus

I've found at least one of them in my house every day for the past week, I can't tell where they're coming from, and I'd like to know how afraid of them I should be before I freak out.

There are several professional bug experts in the Critterquest thread, one of them can surely identify it for you.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
What is the most powerful existing weapon? I see that http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsar_Bomba was the biggest ever detonated. But that was half a century ago. That explosion was 35 miles high, or 7 loving Everest mountains. What the gently caress.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

What is the most powerful existing weapon? I see that http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsar_Bomba was the biggest ever detonated. But that was half a century ago. That explosion was 35 miles high, or 7 loving Everest mountains. What the gently caress.

You'll want to be more specific. What would make the biggest boom? Cause some bio weapon that would kill 90% of all humanity is imo way more powerful than any nuke or neutron bomb which, no matter how powerful, could at most take out one city and the immediate surroundings.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Maybe the MOAB or the FOAB which causes all that is alive to evaporate, according to Russia.

But there have been a bunch of absolutely insane industrial explosions and accidents that seem pretty inconceivable in scale. Like, the Halifax explosion was 2.9 kilotons of TNT and was the largest explosion ever until the development of nuclear weapons. But the N1 rocket test was like three times as powerful. :stare:

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Let's say I have 5 100mb movie files on a website.

A. It's faster to download each one at a time
B. It's faster to download them all at once
C. Both A and B take the same time

?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

the posted:

Let's say I have 5 100mb movie files on a website.

A. It's faster to download each one at a time
B. It's faster to download them all at once
C. Both A and B take the same time

?

Depends on the website's server setup and both your and its connection. Ideal situation is C, but in many cases it's A, because a lot of servers won't properly handle all those connections, or will be intentionally set up to slow you down for attempting it.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Nintendo Kid posted:

Depends on the website's server setup and both your and its connection. Ideal situation is C, but in many cases it's A, because a lot of servers won't properly handle all those connections, or will be intentionally set up to slow you down for attempting it.

So if I'm downloading from say, one computer to another on the same network, then C should be true?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

the posted:

So if I'm downloading from say, one computer to another on the same network, then C should be true?

You will probably have reduced speeds with multiple separate downloads, due to the computer serving the files having to constantly seek between files on its hard drive. Best to copy them one after the other in that case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
How many gallon jugs would 110,000,000 pounds of dirt fill?