Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Nibbles141 posted:

Every race that isn't white has been the doom of Australia at various points throughout history. Today it's just no Muslims; the Greeks, Italians, Asians and whoever else were the problem decades ago are fine now.

Australia's been hosed from day one

I can't find it, but a particularly hilariously awful one is a map of Australia filling up with Chinese people as what I presume is the Emperor staring over in joy

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jun 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

This is also noxious, by the way, I didn't ignore this! I really dislike the chirpy pseudo-educational/PSA tone these things have, too. It's grating, especially when one tries to sustain it, and can't help but make the speaker sound like a patronising git.

The constant flubs are annoying as well. Just do a retake, you're cutting every ten seconds anyway :argh:

Wow it's just one long dogwhistle.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Wheezle posted:

Wow it's just one long dogwhistle.

It's this kind of thing that really makes me start agreeing with people about Islamophobia being the new anti-Semitism. The rhetoric alone is horrifying familiar.

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp

Anidav posted:

The internet is too.
(actual paid advertisement on Facebook. Literally a sponsored page)

Finally, Saladin's swarthy hordes are overtaking our white children's breakfasts.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
If you all took a moment to read the stop the Mosque in Bendigo page and their reasonable responses you'd be aware that the real issue is that they use the money from the Halal certification to fund their nefarious activities. Also Vegemite totally tastes different now.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

It's pathetic, the Buddhists are building a massive gently caress off statute here too and you don't get childish behaviour about a Buddhist invasion (despite the obvious influx of tibetans/burmese monks). Bendigo has more than a few immigrant populations, we seem to have been picked like Shepparton to get the "good" refugees as well as the "bad" ones.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Nibbles141 posted:

Every race that isn't white has been the doom of Australia at various points throughout history. Today it's just no Muslims; the Greeks, Italians, Asians and whoever else were the problem decades ago are fine now.

Yeah, my father in law told me once "the way we treat Muslims now is what we used to think of the Jews"

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
Hell, just read any of the sensationalist articles or statements by Liberal candidates about Halal certification and mentally substitute "kosher" for "halal". poo poo reads like something straight out of 1930s Germany.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Tony Jowns posted:

Hell, just read any of the sensationalist articles or statements by Liberal candidates about Halal certification and mentally substitute "kosher" for "halal". poo poo reads like something straight out of 1930s Germany.

The part people are missing is that most of the people writing those articles would be perfectly ok with living in the Germany of the 1930s, they're just switched on enough to know that you can't say that anymore.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

HookShot posted:

Yeah, my father in law told me once "the way we treat Muslims now is what we used to think of the Jews"

I'm pretty sure anti-Semitism is just as virulent now as it ever has been?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

El Pollo Blanco posted:

I'm pretty sure anti-Semitism is just as virulent now as it ever has been?

Seeing as he grew up in the 40s and 50s, no, it's not.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Anyone else in Brisbane hate those Translink cops who stop the bus and check if everyone has a ticket? Police state i tells ya.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Anidav posted:

Anyone else in Brisbane hate those Translink cops who stop the bus and check if everyone has a ticket? Police state i tells ya.

I've never seen one on a bus but they're getting way more prevalent on the trains.

My budgeting for the next month or so is completely fukt because I forgot to tap on in a sleep-deprived stupor and got smacked $240 for it.

There's this weird dissonance in my life where I'm living on the dole in Logan with my mother and the reality of the working poor is staring at me, but I'm going to be studying my next semester of the toriest subject in the world (International Studies) while living on campus thanks to my father's beneficence. I don't know what to think any more.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Do they try to make up for their lowly place on the authority figure ladder by being surly and needlessly intimidating?

Then, yes.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
They usually get on buses passing through fortitude valley and head straight for the teens and aboriginal people in the back rows. Id call them racist or fuckwits but they would probably fine me. The Queensland budget raised Go Card prices by 15% too so they can hire more of these fuckheads.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Yeah they pretty much only target non-whites, it's straight up bullshit.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, I've only ever seen them on trains, and I'll be rooting around in my bag for my Go card and they'll be like "Nah it's okay, don't worry, I trust you" then move onto the next, inevitably not-white (or not-white-enough) youth and get snippy with them if they take more than a second or two getting their Go card out of their bag.

Nickopops
Jan 8, 2006
You must be this funky to ride.

ungulateman posted:

got smacked $240 for it.
What the gently caress? You shouldn't ever get charged more than $20 ($10 with a concession card).

E: oh wait, you mean a fine. yeah gently caress that poo poo, that sucks.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Translink prices are bullshit, whoever's doing the budget must honestly not care about getting people to actually use public transport. Free trips for the rest of the week after 10 trips sounds promising, but I never use that many anyway. I've never been on a bus that's getting inspected (but I live on the "good side" of town, student/family inner suburbia), and thankfully I haven't had to deal with shithead inspectors on trains (in my experience they've checked everyone in the carriage).

Also ungulateman the toriest subject is probably law or something in finance, though there's shitheads in every faculty. It's incredible how we can end up with shitheads in the creative arts, but I guess some must slip through the cracks.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Funnily enough law at QUT seems to have a pretty low Tory fuckhead ratio, although the ones you do get are particularly obnoxious. They probably wait until they're out in practice to bloom like hideous turd butterflies.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

My brain is full of gently caress....

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Unemployed people are taking our jobs! Deport them!

I think this guy might actually be talking about work for the dole, though, and he's stumbled upon a very simple and very good point, that it's just taking away work from people who have it as an actual job.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Jumpingmanjim posted:

I'm wondering if that person is poorly making the point that the "Well if the unemployed want to be able to afford the doctor they should have a job" argument is fundamentally flawed. As full employment is pretty much impossible under our system it is true that you eventually reach a point where someone is only able to get a job by someone else being denied work.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Is this a reference to work for the dole?

Cos if so , its a fair point. Forced labor schemes always displace paid labor, its just basic economics really.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Mike Carlton is on a roll

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/tory-selfdestruction-is-so-painfully-enjoyable-20140606-zs0e2.html

quote:

Tory self-destruction is so painfully enjoyable
Mike Carlton
Sydney Morning Herald.

You can smell the doubt in Tory ranks, see the fear in Tory eyes. It’s not yet panic, although in this febrile political climate it wouldn’t take much to start one. But they are worried, deeply worried, that Tony Abbott might just have lost the plot.

This swine of a budget has been a disaster, both in its construction and its political execution. Stunned by the public protest, Abbott and his ministers have been furiously daubing the pig with lipstick, but it’s not working. The polls have the Coalition trailing badly on the primary vote and Bill Shorten is streets ahead as preferred prime minister, even though he has done little but keep his bum pointed to the ground.

So the usual Tory toadies of the media are stampeding to the aid of the party. For more than a week they have been exhorting Abbott to stand firm, to take arms against a sea of troubles, blah blah. Always a sure sign the faecal matter has hit the fan.

An even more certain sign is when they start fighting each other. Treachery! The shrill denunciation of Malcolm Turnbull by Melbourne’s village idiot, Andrew Bolt – amplified on Thursday by Sydney’s village idiot, Alan Jones – sent the needles on the right-wing paranoia scale trembling off the dial. Hilariously, the Parrot dictated a pledge of loyalty for Turnbull to repeat on radio, a wheeze not seen in any modern democracy since the demise of the infamous American Senator Joe McCarthy.

To his credit, Turnbull stiffed the two nongs right back, branding them ‘‘bomb throwers’’ doing Labor’s work. He’ll not be forgiven. It’s been hugely enjoyable.

The polls tell you more and more people are realising Abbott has not so much lost the plot as that he never had one. In opposition he was the wrecker, brutally effective against a divided and demoralised Labor Party, promising to lead an adult government faithful to its election commitments. But in power he and his ministers trudge through the smoking ruins of their policy flip-flops and broken promises, haplessly blaming their predecessors for the mess. This scaled new heights of idiocy on Wednesday when Defence Minister David Johnston proclaimed that it was Labor’s fault Abbott’s RAAF VIP jet had been late leaving for Indonesia.

In truth, we are saddled with a gang of punishers and straighteners, of cutters and slashers, run by the sort of bossy former private school prefects who enjoy enforcing dress codes at golf clubs. To borrow from that American wit, the late H.L.Mencken, these Abbott Tories are racked by the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, might not be working hard enough.

So the government has changed. But despite the dogged efforts of Peta Credlin and her platoons of highly-trained spin doctors, it is ever more obvious that Abbott himself has not. Beneath those crisp white shirts and pale blue ties there still beats the heart of the campus bully. And Australians know it.

There where other photos but they are all cats on my browser so....

edit: Snipped off the unrelated stuff at the end. Carlton seems to have wedged 3 unrelated pieces together.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jun 8, 2014

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

duck monster posted:

Is this a reference to work for the dole?

Cos if so , its a fair point. Forced labor schemes always displace paid labor, its just basic economics really.

In the context it was posted I think it might be, but It was on a liberal MP's page so you can never be sure.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

duck monster posted:

edit: Snipped off the unrelated stuff at the end. Carlton seems to have wedged 3 unrelated pieces together.
It's the standard format for his articles, and is a bit more obvious in print.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Purely anecdotal but in my experience the people that hate the unemployed hate their own jobs. Goes back to the old talking point about how easy life is on the dole yet for some reason they don't abandon their own jobs for this cushy lifestyle.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Nibbles141 posted:

Purely anecdotal but in my experience the people that hate the unemployed hate their own jobs. Goes back to the old talking point about how easy life is on the dole yet for some reason they don't abandon their own jobs for this cushy lifestyle.

The only people who've ever given me poo poo for being a university student or teacher are people who also bitch ceaselessly about how hard their jobs are, how bad the conditions are, or how they don't get paid enough for the work they do.

It's not good enough for them to want something better in their own lives, they want to see life get harder for anyone who they think has it a little bit better than them too, regardless of the realities of the other people's situations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Samantha Maiden remembered that she is employed as a journalist

Daily Telegraph posted:

A major report into paid parental leave in Australia has found that significantly more working mothers are earning six figure salaries than previously thought.

The Sunday Telegraph can reveal than 7,655 women claiming taxpayer-funded baby leave last year earned over $100,000 according to Centrelink. While these women claimed baby leave under Labor’s existing scheme offering 18 weeks baby pay at the minimum wage, the same mums will secure $50,000 under the new scheme. When you include women earning $90,000-a-year or more, the Centrelink figures reveal there were 12,082 women who will be eligible for payouts of $45,000 to $50,000. In total, there were 131,207 recipients of baby leave pay. That suggests nearly 10 per cent of Australian working mums will secure $45,000 payouts. But the final figure could be higher because the new scheme doesn’t have an income test.

The new income data is significant because political leaders have largely relied on guess work to estimate how many women earning six figures are also of child bearing age. Social Services Minister Kevin Andrews said it was clear the Abbott Government’s scheme was superior to Labor’s offering women the financial choice to stay longer at home. The report finds that the PPL scheme is allowing low income women to stay at home for longer in the first six months. "Many stakeholders called for the PPL scheme to be extended from 18 to 26 weeks and supported increasing the amount of pay and including superannuation," Mr Andrews said. "The majority of families will be better off under the new scheme and we expect around 167,000 families will be eligible for the new PPL scheme each year."

The Prime Minister has previously argued that the numbers of women earning six figure salaries who may access the scheme was very small. Mr Abbott recently scrapped an election pledge to offer women up to $75,000 under the scheme citing a “budget emergency’’ and capped the scheme at six months’ pay or up to $50,000. "Because only about 2 per cent of incomes over $100,000 are earned by women under 50, changing the eligibility thresholds or changing the maximum rate of paid parental leave would be very modest in terms of budget savings," Mr Abbott said on Melbourne Radio on April 29.

But the new data suggests that 6 per cent of women putting in claims would be eligible for $50,000 payouts, not 2 per cent. The revelations are likely to sharpen the political debate among the Nationals and conservative independents that the scheme is too generous to working women while denying stay at home mums the same benefits.

Family First’s Senator elect Bob Day said the parental leave scheme proposed was "morally wrong" because stay at home mums missed out. "It’s the morality of treating two mums doing exactly the same job differently," he said.

A majority of working women — 54 per cent — are earning under $50,000 according to the report. These women will also emerge as winners under the scheme securing six months leave on full pay from taxpayers rather than the $11,200 or 18 weeks’ pay under Labor’s scheme. But they will secure far less than women earning $100,000 who can secure $50,000. Around 40 per cent of women are earning between $50,000 and $100,000. According to the report the existing scheme is working with more low income mums having the choice to stay at home with their babies in the first six months. More than 99 per cent of parents claiming baby leave pay for women with just 674 dads taking on the job of primary carers for their babies.

Blaming a "budget emergency" the Prime Minister announced he would cap maximum payouts in the PPL scheme to $50,000 in April. The policy that Mr Abbott took to the election had promised women earning up to $150,000 could secure six months’ pay under the scheme. That was a maximum payout of $75,000.

Reminder: The Greens and the Coalition have essentially the same policy on PPL, and (in theory) enough votes to get a compromise scheme through the Senate.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Smegmatron posted:

The only people who've ever given me poo poo for being a university student or teacher are people who also bitch ceaselessly about how hard their jobs are, how bad the conditions are, or how they don't get paid enough for the work they do.

Ah yes, those notoriously overpaid teachers.

edit:

just saw this.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Zenithe posted:

Ah yes, those notoriously overpaid teachers.
Well they only work a few months a year.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Well they only work a few months a year.

And only 9-3

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Zenithe posted:

just saw this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKr9xUtMUhY :laugh:

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
"Merde....is he still there?"

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

Jokes on you, fuckers. Teachers barely even work 9-3 because none of us can find a job that lasts more than two weeks.

:negative:

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
I couldn't believe it when I found out that the community services teachers at TAFE are on casual contracts from semester to semester.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Fruity Gordo posted:

I couldn't believe it when I found out that the community services teachers at TAFE are on casual contracts from semester to semester.

Quite a few of the ludicrously expensive private schools do this too. Hope you like having zero job security and getting fired every six months!

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
In my darker hours I consider trying to Old-Girl my way into a youth worker position at my alma mater.

E: vvv UGH

Fruity Gordo fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jun 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Where I was the TAFE staff were on rolling HPI contracts because they didn't want to employ them full time. Despite them actually working at full time hours.

They clamped down on that, but it means a staff shortage due to everyone now having to have a Cert 4 in Voc Ed or another form of training qualification.

• Locked thread