Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyEBDqJoUHI

PREMIER MINISTER ANTWON FROM AUSTRALIE YEAH YEAH WEE WEE VIVA L'AUSTRALIE HEH HEH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

WebDog posted:

Where I was the TAFE staff were on rolling HPI contracts because they didn't want to employ them full time. Despite them actually working at full time hours.

They clamped down on that, but it means a staff shortage due to everyone now having to have a Cert 4 in Voc Ed or another form of training qualification.

Good news for me who just got one of them :D

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
But does he look like even more of a dickhead than if he'd just spoken English?

Yes of course he does.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
If you're an Aussie PM talking to kids overseas you should lead with the best "G'Day" you have.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
The one little kid who takes pity on him and says "c'est bon". :3:

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

Fruity Gordo posted:

PREMIER MINISTER ANTWON FROM AUSTRALIE YEAH YEAH WEE WEE VIVA L'AUSTRALIE HEH HEH

As an French-Australian this is the most painful, cringe worthy thing I've ever encountered. Nothing will ever top Tony Abbott trying to speak French.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Can't even remember 'common tally voo' Madame Speaker.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Fruity Gordo posted:

I couldn't believe it when I found out that the community services teachers at TAFE are on casual contracts from semester to semester.

I think a lot of university tutors are too. At every level, teaching is fukt.

My mother works as a teacher (primary school mostly, Prep/1/2 at the moment, in an isolated rural area). A couple of years ago we were doing one of the survey things with the ABS where they call you up every month or so and ask about what kind of work you've been doing, how much overtime you've done, how much you get paid, etc. My Dad works part time at the feedlot so got to do the answering most of the time. The nice lady doing the survey got to learn a lot about the lovely conditions and hours for teachers! Ie, you will work overtime every single day (get into school at 7am, don't leave until 6pm, continue working at home); you will work every single weekend; you will work every day during school holidays (except some of the Christmas holidays); you will be expected to attend shittons of conferences in towns an hour or two hours' drive away (pay for your own petrol, suckers); you will pay for way too much in the way of classroom resources out of your own pocket because of how woefully underfunded state schools are, especially in low socio-economic areas. And all the while you will be harassed by parents who insist you are being fantastically overpaid and underworked.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Uni tutoring is at least meant to be a more temporary thing as you go through your degree (and post-grad), and cycling people through is how academics learn to teach. It can still be a lovely system but it's not meant to be a career like school teaching or lecturing is.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Uni tutoring is at least meant to be a more temporary thing as you go through your degree (and post-grad), and cycling people through is how academics learn to teach. It can still be a lovely system but it's not meant to be a career like school teaching or lecturing is.

That is also true. I should focus on the other lovely aspects of teaching, there is a whole lot.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Ghost Who Votes posted:

#ReachTEL Poll QLD State

2 Party Preferred: LNP 53 ALP 47

Preferred LNP Leader: Newman 37.1 Springborg 19.0 Nicholls 17.0

Newman LNP: Approve 30.2 Disapprove 49.4

Palaszczuk ALP: Approve 26.2 Disapprove 38.0

State Budget: Good 24.4 Poor 45.9

Sale of QLD Govt assets: Support 23.8 Oppose 52.0

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Queenslanders still moron idiots, news at eleven.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
The next QLD State Election will be the most fun election since Federal 2007.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

gently caress

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Oh jesus, that Abbott speaking French video hurts my head :psyduck:

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Fruity Gordo posted:

I couldn't believe it when I found out that the community services teachers at TAFE are on casual contracts from semester to semester.

My mums been pretty much running her faculty at TAFE for nearly 20 years and they still make her re-apply for her job every few years.

Its loving evil stuff. What bank would ever loan money to someone on that sort of contract for a house?

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

duck monster posted:

My mums been pretty much running her faculty at TAFE for nearly 20 years and they still make her re-apply for her job every few years.

Its loving evil stuff. What bank would ever loan money to someone on that sort of contract for a house?

Literally every bank

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

webmeister posted:

Oh jesus, that Abbott speaking French video hurts my head :psyduck:

I mean, he sounds like a very early version of Google Translate.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Haters Objector posted:

Literally every bank

IDK, I can't see many places lending to a casual worker aged 45-55 or older if they can only cover a 10% deposit.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-24/high-risk-loans-akin-to-us-subprime-mortgages-return-to-markets/5410438

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Smegmatron posted:

Jokes on you, fuckers. Teachers barely even work 9-3 because none of us can find a job that lasts more than two weeks.

:negative:

This, and similar stories from Grads, is why I'm not looking at Teaching once I finish up my last assignment tomorrow. I don't know where I'll go instead but, gently caress that.

Fruity Gordo posted:

I cannot stop cringing. The video ended five minutes ago and I'm still cringing. Fruity, what have you done to me?!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Smegmatron posted:

Jokes on you, fuckers. Teachers barely even work 9-3 because none of us can find a job that lasts more than two weeks.

:negative:

Is there an oversuplly of teachers and teaching graduates at the moment? I mean that in a purely economic sense because this deadshit country needs all the teachers it can get.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Is there an oversuplly of teachers and teaching graduates at the moment? I mean that in a purely economic sense because this deadshit country needs all the teachers it can get.

it's a combination of factors but, basically, when myself and a few others went out for dinner with one of our subject supervisors, he said that a few years ago he'd have schools ringing the university to grab masters of teaching graduates. they don't do that anymore.

grad positions seems to be luck-based and incredibly temporary. a lot of grad positions also tend to go to returning teachers or teachers already at the school. so, this means young, fresh graduates - like myself - decide to say 'gently caress it' and go work in a different field.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Governor Marie Bashir's going to be a Dame.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

If I had to hypothesise based around what I had seen as a young student teacher, it's something like...

Yes, there's a lot of teaching graduates.

However, existing schools expect current staff to do more with less. Teachers are expected to teach outside their particular subject area and across multiple disciplines. Frequently, history, geography and civics are forced into one subject - Humanities. This is not a bad thing, but a teacher probably only wishes to teach one or two of those areas. So, lesson quality suffers.

I'd also suggest that the incredible politicisation of the Australian classroom - hello, History Wars! - makes a lot of teachers uneasy and the current Pyne-led review into the Curriculum and everything else might be causing schools to see what will be altered before taking on new staff or restructuring.

Another thing is that student teachers aren't terribly well supported. At a lot of schools, you basically disregard everything you've been taught for the past couple of years and begin to toe the 'party line'. Some older teachers are really harsh on younger grads and, in general, there's this expectation that you should be able to handle everything that is thrown your way.

Graduates are fighting existing teachers for jobs. A lot of existing teachers are old but - and not to cast aspersions - may be holding onto their job through sheer inertia and may not be good teachers. At the same time, jobs tend to go to them. Similarly, a lot of grad positions I've seen are basically temporary duties - taking care of a teacher's classes while they are on a few weeks of leave and you are going to be sent packing after four weeks or so.

A piece of advice I was given was to come back to teaching 'when I was older' as opposed to twenty-five like I am now. If I'm going to take time to build another career, why would I abandon it to come back to teaching? In most careers, I can do 9-to-5 pretty safely and have weekends and evenings to myself! That leads me to my next point...

Teaching takes a lot of work. A lot of work. This cannot be overstated. The first few weeks of teaching are the most difficult - learning student names, learning school norms and regulations, establishing a routine for your students, timing how long it takes you to get to and from the school. This is what a lot of grads are currently locked into. If we're being completely honest, the pay isn't worth it. The pay isn't worth that, it isn't worth the amount of time you have to give up out of school hours, and it isn't worth the constant worry of being accused of sexual harassment, something which is driving young male teacher away from the profession in droves. Teachers aren't just teachers anymore - for a lot of kids, you're practically a surrogate parent. If you live near your school, you are basically in teacher-mode 24/7 because you have a duty of care to your students outside of school hours and that stuff can get crazy and inconvenient fast.

So, for a lot of young teachers, the question becomes: why bother?

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jun 8, 2014

Bomb-Bunny
Mar 4, 2007
A true population explosion.

I've been teaching now for a little more than a month, after a year working in the same school as a Teaching Aide, and everything Milky Moor said is correct. Graduated from my course at the end of 2012, and the TA job (and one in Ararat) were the only ones I even got called in to interview for. I'm ridiculously lucky to be at a campus that my school is slowly trying to strangle to death through a combination of harsh neglect and perennial rug-pulling, which, in the generally milieu of Melbourne's west feels like fiddling whilst Rome burns. Lucky because it means that the only people left are the one's who care enough about the job to not bail on a sinking ship. Career wise it's in none of our self-interests to stay, since all it means is frustration, short-changing, and administrative contempt. This has meant that we're all kind of going down with the ship together, fatalistically, which it seems is really a clarion horn for staff culture.

Both my placement schools were in not dissimilar situations (state schools vs. Catholic though), one was very like my current workplace, one basically couldn't care less if I choked to death in the staffroom as long as I was off the clock when I did it.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Milky Moor posted:

So, for a lot of young teachers, the question becomes: why bother?

I believe this is the right conclusion, jobs that pay more than the minimum wage are clearly a drain on the economy and pointless. The higher employment and returns obtained by adjusting this will make the economy much healthier. If no one will do a teaching job for minimum wage we must deregulate the sector, or consider that the field is clearly unsustainable.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to help anchor my point.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Bomb-Bunny posted:

I've been teaching now for a little more than a month, after a year working in the same school as a Teaching Aide, and everything Milky Moor said is correct. Graduated from my course at the end of 2012, and the TA job (and one in Ararat) were the only ones I even got called in to interview for. I'm ridiculously lucky to be at a campus that my school is slowly trying to strangle to death through a combination of harsh neglect and perennial rug-pulling, which, in the generally milieu of Melbourne's west feels like fiddling whilst Rome burns. Lucky because it means that the only people left are the one's who care enough about the job to not bail on a sinking ship. Career wise it's in none of our self-interests to stay, since all it means is frustration, short-changing, and administrative contempt. This has meant that we're all kind of going down with the ship together, fatalistically, which it seems is really a clarion horn for staff culture.

Both my placement schools were in not dissimilar situations (state schools vs. Catholic though), one was very like my current workplace, one basically couldn't care less if I choked to death in the staffroom as long as I was off the clock when I did it.

That sounds very similar to my own experience. The state school had this wonderful 'we're all hosed but we're in this together' feeling while the Catholic school felt like a shark pool. The Catholic school actually led to me having a nervous breakdown because they didn't give a poo poo and treated me like I should know everything and teach like the boring teachers in Dead Poets Society. And anyone who's known me for longer than five minutes knows that I don't really, y'know, get nervous or feel pressure.

Teaching is incredibly rewarding and I love to talk - it's a great fit for me. But it's not worth all the bullshit.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Oh hey an email from QUT about an elective subject!

QUT Elective Subject posted:

Go beyond the classroom and connect with real business challenges by enrolling in the elective unit in semester 2, 2014 - Ernst & Young Asian Century Growth Challenge.

This is an exciting opportunity for you to engage and work with industry mentors to develop business growth plans for Ernst & Young Asia Pacific on how they can expand their business opportunities in Asia.

Australia's 21st century will be shaped by its relationship with Asia and you can be a part of it. You get to explore challenges and opportunities, how to build business capability to succeed and what innovative growth options should Australian business pursue.

We want a mix of both international and domestic students to get involved from across all business disciplines and this balance will form part of the selection criteria. So are you looking for a unit that can get you ahead in your career globally? Then this unit is for you!

This sounds familiar but I just can't put my finger on it.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

Oh hey an email from QUT about an elective subject!

They need work experience kids to clean the tea room?

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Anidav posted:

I can't remember his name, but that's LNP doctor guy that ran in my mum's old electorate. Every time I visited her I wanted to kick over the sign that was planted in some Baby Boomer's front yard and replace it with my Greens flag (except I didn't want to give away my only Greens flag).

e: also, I'm slightly uncomfortable with the actual corporate branding of university subjects. What's next, Time Warner's Introduction to Copyright Law?

The Before Times fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jun 8, 2014

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I got a High Distinction in Captain Crunch's Introduction to Nutrition.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Anidav posted:

I got a High Distinction in Captain Crunch's Introduction to Nutrition.

Is that where you learn that technically pizza counts as a serving of vegetable?

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Milky Moor posted:

Teaching is incredibly rewarding and I love to talk - it's a great fit for me. But it's not worth all the bullshit.
Yep. I'm a great natural explainer and feed off the energy of any kind of crowd, but I realised that I wouldn't be able to cope with the culture as a teacher. If you really dig being around high-school-age kids you might actually enjoy youth work tbh man. You'll get recognition of prior learning at TAFE since you already know the child protection and anti-discrimination laws of your state and professional ethics & expectations of mandatory reporters, you'll just have to do the communication and psychology bits because we're advocates rather than educators, so you have to approach kids in a markedly different way. HOWEVER, highly literate and educated youth workers are in short supply and if you get full time work the pay is pretty loving decent, and you're actively encouraged not to take your work home with you. My area over the next few years is gonna probably be in running programs and later on program development rather than residential care, and program work is some of the most creative poo poo you can do and what's great about it is that the preferred way to do it is with basically equal participation in development with the young people who will be taking part in the program. So half of your goal (engaging young people) is already achieved because the kids have a vested interest in getting the thing going and succeeding.

gently caress kids rule.

E: actually, with an MTeach you'd probably already be able to go into youth work interviews and blitz them anyway if you have any background in adolescent psychology without bothering with TAFE. I'd encourage you to be up on communication trechniques for advocates though, because it is a lot different to teaching.

Fruity Gordo fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 8, 2014

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

A healthy body is maintained by being Cruncholicious. Energy is provided by Choco Goodness and visit your doctor irregularly.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Anidav posted:

A healthy body is maintained by being Cruncholicious. Energy is provided by Choco Goodness and visit your doctor irregularly.

B+, too much mention of choco history and not enough of the Great Man Captain Crunch

edit: thought I was in GBS. Uh, politics hey? There was this bizarre story on Sunday Night this evening that I happened to watch despite my best intentions. Really made Clive Palmer seem like a nut. He sent his PUP squad and a journalist to Boston for bonding and to attend a JFK Library ceremony of some sort, then made up lovely excuses about his jet and didn't join them, then when the journalist got back to Canberra (understandably pissed), Clive asked him where he'd been. Basically, his populism rings incredibly hollow and in actuality he's an imbecile.

edit: VVVV this is gonna have to go to moderation now, THANKS

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 8, 2014

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
No mention of Count Chocula, D-.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

But seriously, how is this legal, it reminds me of that episode of Madmen where they put all those women in a room to put on lipstick and write about how it makes them feel.

Are students seriously the free labour the corporate sector is looking for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
I went back and re-read that course description, holy poo poo yeah that's dodgy as gently caress. Basically an internship that you can't even put on the resume.

• Locked thread