Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
The search for the Speedy Malaysia dubs has brought me to videos featuring only the sound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M6kaKvbXfY
If worst comes to worst I could always replace the original audio with these...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

dr.acula posted:

I'm pretty sure they did fucky things with the canon on purpose for the movies. None of them fit in the timeline what so ever.

I'm actually okay with it not being canon, it's just that the ending was just incoherent.

Now that I'm this deep I think I have to finally watch GT.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Okay, Veku was hilarious. Gogeta was, of course, completely unstoppable and was only around for about 30 seconds.

I was really weirded out but the thick black lines in the Hitler vs Goten and Trunks bit. It made the whole thing look way more cartoony.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Some Numbers posted:

Okay, Veku was hilarious. Gogeta was, of course, completely unstoppable and was only around for about 30 seconds.

I was really weirded out but the thick black lines in the Hitler vs Goten and Trunks bit. It made the whole thing look way more cartoony.

You WERE having two blonde-haired, blue-eyed supermen fighting all the Nawt-z's and Hitlerpoleon. It's hard to get any cartoonier than that.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Some Numbers posted:

That was absolutely intentional, and I thought the effect ruled.

I mean, the tanks were shooting technicolor shells.

Also, I started GT. I'm glad Pilaf is here. I have a feeling that good will is about to get butchered.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
NO, it's not too late. Turn back!

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Don't listen to Shindragon. Step into the grand tour. :getin:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Squallege posted:

Don't listen to Shindragon. Step into the grand tour. :getin:

I can hear the song. I never watched GT. WHY CAN I HEAR THE SONG?!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Goku you haven't even seen your grandchild in all this time? The worst.

Also goddamn, Chi Chi needs to go on Maury or something with her marriage the way it is.

e: HAHAHAHA THE BLACK STAR BALLS ARE A TIMEBOMB TOO

Guess it makes sense, his entire family being upset isn't reason enough for Goku to do anything.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

That was absolutely intentional, and I thought the effect ruled.

I mean, the tanks were shooting technicolor shells.

Also, I started GT. I'm glad Pilaf is here. I have a feeling that good will is about to get butchered.

You fool :negative:

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

I can hear the song. I never watched GT. WHY CAN I HEAR THE SONG?!

Because everyone knows the song. Even if they have never heard it they know it.

They fear it by instinct.

Step into the grand tour
GRAND TOUR GRAND TOUR
Step into the grand tour Dragon Ball GEEEEE TEEEEE

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Oh my god, why is Trunks running a company? Vegeta must drink the days away.

Okay Pan threatening to beat up Mr. Satan was pretty good. Is there hope?

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jun 8, 2014

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...

StrifeHira posted:

Because everyone knows the song. Even if they have never heard it they know it.

They fear it by instinct.

Step into the grand tour
GRAND TOUR GRAND TOUR
Step into the grand tour Dragon Ball GEEEEE TEEEEE

Bo para para, bo PA PA

MastG
May 25, 2014
You have no idea what a terrible mistake you've made. Get ready to get bored.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Vegeta retaliated in a way only a dad can: growing a mustache that will embarrass his children.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Okay Pan threatening to beat up Mr. Satan was pretty good. Is there hope?

No.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
"Someone called complaining about your father."

"Were they from a resturaunt? We get those a lot."

Why am I liking this? Am I broken?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Beef Waifu posted:

The references to the Regis from Megas XLR was great though.
Do not panic. You will all die.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

"Someone called complaining about your father."

"Were they from a resturaunt? We get those a lot."

Why am I liking this? Am I broken?

Yes. Yes you are.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
So I assume that Goku isn't going to remember anything about Instant Transmission for this arc.

Or is he not capable of it due to reasons?

MastG
May 25, 2014

So I assume that Goku isn't going to remember anything about Instant Transmission for this arc.

Or is he not capable of it due to reasons?

The writing is horribly inconsistent all through GT, so reasons.
At least I'm pretty sure he doesn't use it, I tried to forget the whole thing.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Oh no, a Jar-Jar bot.

Everything is ruined.

e: Okay, instant transmission is busted for reasons. Whatever, guess they had to write it out somehow.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jun 8, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
A lot of really great Goku in these episodes that wasn't just "Wow I'm An Idiot". He's got some dry wit/sarcasm this movie and it works really well. 'You're not even that good at it.' Like all his little quips about Vegeta are really great! I wonder if they're trying to 'smart him up' so they can write his actions in the Cell saga as more than the same old 'Goku is stupid' jokes they've always done.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jun 8, 2014

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

dr.acula posted:

Woah woah woah. Tenshinhan is a human.

Tien got wrote out of the role of strongest human by being retconned to be like 1% alien or some poo poo. Purely so Krillin could have something.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
r.i.p.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

A lot of really great Goku in these episodes that wasn't just "Wow I'm An Idiot". He's got some dry wit/sarcasm this movie and it works really well. 'You're not even that good at it.' Like all his little quips about Vegeta are really great! I wonder if they're trying to 'smart him up' so they can write his actions in the Cell saga as more than the same old 'Goku is stupid' jokes they've always done.

Maybe recovering from high cholesterol based heart failure will make him smarter.

It's no weirder than training in 100x gravity letting him read Krillin's mind.

Speaking of which, where's Vegeta's telepathy? Dude trained in 500x gravity.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Maybe recovering from high cholesterol based heart failure will make him smarter.

Vegeta doesn't know how to read.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

Muffin button!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
As if Vegeta cares what anyone else thinks.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Those are all compelling reasons.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

Muffin button!

Honest! There's science and stuff!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
So while I'm here, GT update: This isn't very good but it's not that bad yet either. It's kind of got a classic Dragonball thing going, and while it stacks up poorly to the original, it hasn't gone full Phantom Menace on me.

That said, I've only finished nine episodes. Everything I know tells me this is going to get ugly. Once I'm done with this episode I'll probably go to bed and pick this up later.

Fake edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwoaTeGSlLg

okay this is pretty bad

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

WickedHate posted:

I hope the "Just punch harder" joke comes back if they do Broly. That's literally how they defeat him. After they spend the entire movie not being able to phase him Goku just decides to punch him harder and kill him in one shot.

I always read that as 'Goku used every single bit of power he and all the others had all in one shot and slammed it into Brolly's sole weak point: where he got stabbed as a baby'. So it was an all or nothing shot.

That, or Goku actually gave Brolly all the power and between that and Brolly's Legendary Super Saiyan form even HIS body couldn't handle it all and more or less suffered a bad case of explosion, or considering he found a pod and ended up on Earth anyway in Movie 10, at least burned his powers out for a bit.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I just want to post "beep" but I know it will get intro trouble for it.

It would be so worth it though.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

So while I'm here, GT update: This isn't very good but it's not that bad yet either. It's kind of got a classic Dragonball thing going, and while it stacks up poorly to the original, it hasn't gone full Phantom Menace on me.

That said, I've only finished nine episodes. Everything I know tells me this is going to get ugly. Once I'm done with this episode I'll probably go to bed and pick this up later.

Fake edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwoaTeGSlLg

okay this is pretty bad

It starts out really promising, I felt too, but it gets really ugly when it gets out there.

That said, I personally think a lot of the movies are worse than GT as a whole. I guess a redoing of the entire GT stuff in abridged style would make it more watchable.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

As bad as Return of Cooler was, it could have been worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wG84efH4sw&t=138s

"Oohhh, what!? There are two Supah-Saiya-People!?"

Now I kind of wish I'd gone with that (or "We are the ones who will cause the trouble!") for the new avatar instead.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Dragonatrix posted:

Tien got wrote out of the role of strongest human by being retconned to be like 1% alien or some poo poo. Purely so Krillin could have something.

There's no indication that Tenshinhan is stronger than Krillen, outside of the "I have a technique that actually saps from my life force as opposed to ki that could kill me if I do it that kind of held Cell down for a minute" move. No better than Krillen's "I can chop through anything when it's not the anime" technique, really."

Krillen jumped ahead of Tenshinhan in the Freeza saga, and Tenshinhan had no real jumps after that point, and trained about as much for the same reasons.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

The problem is that the last impressive thing Krillin does is cutting Freeza's tail, while Tien stalled 2nd form Cell and deflected one of Buutenks attacks, all of them were the strongest being in the series up to that moment. Tien is also more serious about training than Krillin when there's no menace in sight so I'm still going to think Tien is the strongest.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I watched GT the entire way through a long time ago. It sucks. If you decide to watch it you're going to be bored. I can't recommend it to anyone, and anyone who's watching it now expecting more adventures of Goku and friends has made a mistake. There are a handful of cool moments but they almost always get flushed down the toilet immediately. There are a million plot holes and incredibly flawed and inconsistent logic gaps, and as many people have pointed out, anybody who's not Goku isn't allowed to be a cool hero for more than half a minute, the most egregious example being Uub.

That said, I'm glad I watched it because I have the experience and it's made me appreciate the good parts of Dragonball much more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?
Yesterday I decided to finally read the Dragon Ball Manga that's been collecting dust on my shelf, and I can't believe I waited this long, as Dragon Ball is hilarious. I don't think I've laughed as hard at a manga as when during the 2nd quest for the Dragon Balls Krillan positions Master Roshi's seeing Bulma's breast's so he has a nosebleed arched at the correct angle to cover the invisible man with blood so Yamcha can defeat him.. The fights have all been really entertaining, and most of them are done within a couple of chapters. I'm assuming the tone shifts around King Piccolo/Piccolo Jr arcs from the humor to set up the tone of Z that I know from the show.

Also, Rise of Cooler Abridged was pretty funny. Piccolo learning that all you have to do is punch things harder was great.

• Locked thread