Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

So far the only way I can make a light engine fit is with fractional accounting and some rear armor shenanigans that have probably been disproven somewhere but I'm not in the mood to look for the evidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

dis astranagant posted:

So far the only way I can make a light engine fit is with fractional accounting and some rear armor shenanigans that have probably been disproven somewhere but I'm not in the mood to look for the evidence.

See my previous post, you can do it with a Supercharger but it leaves the thing full of vulnerable Heat Sink crits.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

We'd be seeing rolls to not kill its own engine if it had a supercharger

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

We'd be seeing rolls to not kill its own engine if it had a supercharger

Who said those rolls haven't been made. I don't think Poptarts has to disclose any rolls that the NPCs don't do thats noncombat related.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The IS building Clanspec XL isn't Homebrew. NAIS has been doing it in labs since the 3050 and by the 3080s you have top manufacturers like Defiance Industries or Luthien Armor Works building them in limited runs. Considering the NRWR has infiltrated other governments it wouldn't be surprising they got a few samples and replicated them.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
In the canon timeline sure, but...how long has it been in-thread since the Clans invaded? Has there been enough time for the Inner Sphere to recover enough intact Clantech XL engines to effect a serious attempt at reverse-engineering them? And if so, has the NRWR had enough time to steal the necessary data, put the things into production and outfit their mechs with them? I also remember hearing something about the Inner Sphere not having the necessary materials to build Clan XL Engines, which was why Wolf's Dragoons came up with the Light Fusion Engine as a workaround.

If the Trouts do have the ability to perfectly replicate Clantech at this stage they're more terrifying than I thought.

Scintilla fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 8, 2014

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Defiance Industries posted:

they got a few samples and replicated

Don't click unless you want your minds blown:

Why would they need samples? 300 years and access to LosTech was enough for the Clans. The base technology is the same, after all!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 8, 2014

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
My mind has been blown.

Good show, PTN. :golfclap:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Don't click unless you want your minds blown:

Why would they need samples? 300 years and access to LosTech was enough for the Clans. The base technology is the same, after all!

That was the other notion I had. Not particularly surprising, really. Clantech isn't really that hard to make once you understand Star League gear. Very little of it is a major breakthrough and the major hurdle for the Houses even in the late 3050s was having orbital refining technology to build composites correctly. The only thing they would probably need to reverse engineer is Battle Armor, unless Amaris also has a breeding program in place.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I thought the canon explanation for why the IS didn't immediately start replicating clantech is that clantech requires rare materials that just so happen to be abundant in clan space.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Nah, Clanspace is notoriously resource-poor. I don't think there's ever been a canon explanation beyond "Clans have knowledge and a head-start."

For my money, Defiance Industries is correct: the real issue is most of the lightweight Clan composites are made in space while most surviving House manufacturers were on the ground. You can make Endo Steel in a ground-side factory but I imagine you'd have to aerate it more, the results would be uneven, and so you'd wind up having to use more of it just to get a consistent level of strength. This is of course applying science to a universe where science doesn't much matter, but it does make sense after a fashion.

Something something hearts weighed down by gravity.

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Actually, I'm pretty sure that what fool said is in fact part of the intro to one of the older books. I want to say it was MaxTech or whatever that Level 3 Bullshit book was. It was some NAIS science dude going "Hey man we could totally make Clantech, it would just cost the same as an entire lance of IS Mechs to import the materials so gently caress it."

On the other hand, that's pretty dumb. Considering there's a hundred thousand planets in the Inner Sphere, at least one of them likely has whatever magic rocks the Clans are using to make their technology. Unless there's some sort of tree in Clan space that grows ER lasers or something. Also, it's more entertaining for the LP if the WoB standins have even more bullshit technology.

So, basically,

PoptartsNinja posted:

This is of course applying science to a universe where science doesn't much matter.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
The world will probably have mostly eliminated aging a century from now at least if major funding becomes available at some point (there's seven major reasons for aging (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategies_for_Engineered_Negligible_Senescence), some of them well under the way in lab for similar species and the rest with solid theories or at least theoretically plausible).

Rapid technological progress is LosTech in a universe where it's a major achievement to tape two missile racks together... it's nice to see PTNs universe where things actually change at a decent pace.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 8, 2014

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Ba Donk a Bonk posted:

Unless there's some sort of tree in Clan space that grows ER lasers or something.

Twice as much chlorophyl and only half the evapotranspiration.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

TildeATH posted:

Twice as much chlorophyl and only half the evapotranspiration.

Well, of course they'd have less evapotranspiration. C3 is dishonorable, Clanner plants wouldn't use it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
How about a jellyfish? http://www.nature.com/news/2011/110612/full/news.2011.365.html

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

The only thing they would probably need to reverse engineer is Battle Armor, unless Amaris also has a breeding program in place.

I wouldn't be surprised if the NRWR has a program for light power armor like Comstar's Tornado suits based on the old SLDF Nighthawks in this timeline, or heavier combat-rated models that could be IS Standard BA analogues considering their higher tech base, since those don't need the Elemental phenotype.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

GenericServices posted:

Well, of course they'd have less evapotranspiration. C3 is dishonorable, Clanner plants wouldn't use it.

:magical:

That's it, close the clan jokes box, it's over. Nothing can compare to that.

edit: For the uninformed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C3_carbon_fixation

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Holybat posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the NRWR has a program for light power armor like Comstar's Tornado suits based on the old SLDF Nighthawks in this timeline, or heavier combat-rated models that could be IS Standard BA analogues considering their higher tech base, since those don't need the Elemental phenotype.

I think the trajectory is that if you are building from the PAL exoskeletons as your baseline you will probably build things designed for special ops unless there is someone who really wants to use infantry on the front lines. If CHH wasn't into infantry the frontline battle armor probably wouldn't exist.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
If I can ever find a decent (i.e. not virus-ridden) battle armor designer we'll probably start seeing more battle armor in fights. Until then, they get stuck in the same nebulous place that I stick Aerospace Fighters: I acknowledge that they exist but they're not practical for me to use on anything resembling a large scale.

I just don't have stats for most of the dozens of power armor, and I'm not about to go hunting for my 1st Somerset Strikers sourcebook to find the stats for the Banshee.

Edit: Also, I'm missing some orders again. Don't turn this into a habit guys, I know fatigue is starting to set in but you've been so good so far and you've got a good chance of winning (if not necessarily surviving) this fight!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 8, 2014

Gay Abortions
Dec 12, 2007

Orders sent! Sorry for the delay. I feel you should know I forgot to get them in because I was busy GMing a Star Trek rpg game where the players got pulled through a wormhole to Katetoa.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
You are a nerd after my own heart.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

GenericServices posted:

TildeATH posted:

Well I'll die slightly less stupid now.

Speaking of stupidity and battletech, has someone got that post about the density of AC/20 rounds where they deduced that the shells were less dense than water?

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

TildeATH posted:

Between this and GA's RPG session, I think we're asymptotically approaching peak nerd.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Nah, I haven't found a way to have a GaoGaiGar themed mission yet.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Scintilla posted:

Because clanspec XL engines belong to the Clans and there is no canon IS equivalent, discounting Light Fusion Engines. And Light Fusion Engines simply won't mesh with the Coyote given what we know it contains.

That said, some kind of Improved XL Engine developed by Amaris's scientists wouldn't surprise me.

Clanspec =/= made by the clans in clan space. It just means weapons/equipment with the same stats and performance as clan versions. Like how the Davions in the Dark Ages get a new Black Knight with clanspec weapons. Those aren't actual weapons made by the clans and bought from them, they're made by the Davs, they just are of good enough quality to have the same stats as the clan versions, and so use those statlines. And there are canon mixtech designs. And all the not!Celestials are noncanon already, so I'm not quite sure what the big deal is.

Also, beaten by Defiance, derp.

Edit: Basically, it doesn't mean that the reverse engineered, them, it could just be that they managed to make similar advanced in XL engines that the clans did; I don't think it's too huge a stretch to believe that both of their scientists went "Man, XL engines save a lot of weight, but being disabled once you lose a side torso is a real drag. Let's try to find a way to make it less bulky." The actual ways they manage this may be entirely different, but the game effect is the same. They may well have had clan-spec XL engines before the clans even invaded.

Edit #2: Confirmed by PTN above.

Shoeless fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 8, 2014

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

PoptartsNinja posted:

Nah, I haven't found a way to have a GaoGaiGar themed mission yet.

A very powerful Assault mech attacks an important city or whatever. The players are given control various different vehicles and a medium mech piloted by a cyborg and given the objective of meeting up at a specific location while preventing the Assault from reaching its objective. It's revealed the vehicles are actually just omnimech parts to go on the medium, turning it into an even more powerful assault mech. Victory condition is destroying the Assault mech with the combined mech. Any player being destroyed or immobilized is a mission failure. The Assault completing it's objective is a mission failure.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

If I can ever find a decent (i.e. not virus-ridden) battle armor designer we'll probably start seeing more battle armor in fights. Until then, they get stuck in the same nebulous place that I stick Aerospace Fighters: I acknowledge that they exist but they're not practical for me to use on anything resembling a large scale.

I just don't have stats for most of the dozens of power armor, and I'm not about to go hunting for my 1st Somerset Strikers sourcebook to find the stats for the Banshee.

MegamekLab's BA builder function is now actually working and is fully usable.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Edit: Also, I'm missing some orders again. Don't turn this into a habit guys, I know fatigue is starting to set in but you've been so good so far and you've got a good chance of winning (if not necessarily surviving) this fight!

They published new Banshee stats in XTRO: Boondoggles, one of my favorite reads in recent years. Mechs with zero heat sinks! A WarShip that carries almost a thousand fighters! Weaponized trains! Flying submarines!

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 9, 2014

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Weaponized trains!

Are there rules for suplexing these?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

W.T. Fits posted:

Are there rules for suplexing these?

No, but you can easily take it out of the fight in one turn so it's not totally different.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

No, but you can easily take it out of the fight in one turn so it's not totally different.

You could probably modify the TacOps rules for picking up and throwing things to good effect here, although the weight of this particular train means you'd need a 3000-ton 'Mech with TSM to actually get the thing off the ground.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Weaponized trains!

My dream* of recreating Fang of the Sun Dougram is one step closer to reality!

*May or may not exist

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

GenericServices posted:

You could probably modify the TacOps rules for picking up and throwing things to good effect here, although the weight of this particular train means you'd need a 3000-ton 'Mech with TSM to actually get the thing off the ground.

Put a WarShip in low orbit and attach the train to it.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

GenericServices posted:

Or you could just shoot at the tracks to render it immobile and thus easy prey to artillery.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Shoeless posted:

Or you could just shoot at the tracks to render it immobile and thus easy prey to artillery.

That's exactly what happened in the XTRO entry. Our version has more flash than that. :getin:

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

Put a WarShip in low orbit and attach the train to it.

The secret to why Davions keep slamming WarShips into planets is finally revealed!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Shoeless posted:

Yeah, but that's when it turns into a Space Shuttle.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
LAM-Train! Fellow nerds know which one I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Shoeless posted:

This right here is the statement of a man who values efficiency over awesomeness, and therefore does not "get" Battletech.

• Locked thread