Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
There seems to be some neat ideas in this game sabotaged by terrible execution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

YOU SPENT ALL DAY LOOKING AT A 404 PAGE.
If I keep refreshing it will work eventually. :f5:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Kaja Rainbow posted:

That's the vibe I'm getting as well. Like, the (visible) club XP, the leveling of stats, the hobbies, even the outfits seem to be good concepts.

The whole "trial and error your way into a girl's otherwise opaque interests to earn her glassy-stared love" idea, however, does not.

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy
I'm just baffled by the friends. Like... why would you have any reason at all to call up these thoroughly unlikeable fart-smellers? Do girls actually end up with them at the ending ala Jun and Takumi? :gonk:

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

Reverend Cheddar posted:

I'm just baffled by the friends. Like... why would you have any reason at all to call up these thoroughly unlikeable fart-smellers? Do girls actually end up with them at the ending ala Jun and Takumi? :gonk:

Masaki always 100% goes for Yukiko and joins whatever club she tells you at the beginning of the game, serving as a token last boss for that route. No one likes Takuo.

I missed a pun, by the way - Yabe Takuo is supposed to be "Yabee Otaku", which roughly means "dangerously/terrifyingly/unbelievably nerdy".

Kaja Rainbow posted:

They ran out of time and money, and were also sabotaged horribly by marrying themselves to ideas that weren't thought out or tested, like analog button functionality and going to 3D long before it was ready. There are many other dating sims out there that are worse than Tokimemo 3, but Tokimemo 3's awfulness is legendary because the other games in the series are so well regarded - it's like Devil May Cry 2, Castlevania 64, and Master of Orion 3 rolled into one immensely disappointing, franchise-murdering ball.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, I can see what they were going for in this game, with the gradual introductions and not having a friend with absolute knowledge of every girl, but it does seem like rather a slow start.

Random blabber
Dec 14, 2013

vibratingsheep posted:

I missed a pun, by the way - Yabe Takuo is supposed to be "Yabee Otaku", which roughly means "dangerously/terrifyingly/unbelievably nerdy".

Can we just call him Danger Nerd now?

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Random blabber posted:

Can we just call him Danger Nerd now?

That'd make him sound cooler than he is.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Technically couldn't you translate that as Awful Goon? :v:

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

vibratingsheep posted:

And wearing a tuxedo to the beach is considered more appropriate than shorts and a beach shirt!

What if it's a swim suit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy5-PcZcczE

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Tokimemo 3, Chapter 3: Working for the Weekend

Now that I've talked about most of the mechanics, it's unfortunately time to roll up my sleeves and go elbow deep in this game. Here are Serika's requirements:

• Go on at least one date with her
  • Exercise level 20+
  • Stamina 150+
  • Serika appears in the top two characters of the Tokimeki Graph

Wait, that's it?

Well, I guess we should get started. Or something.

Step 1: Join a club

Choosing the Extracurricular Activities option brings up the 10 clubs, some of which are associated with characters, but most of which are fluff.

Drama club
"Elegant and gorgeous!"
Associated character: Yellow

Astronomy club
"Let's talk while watching the stars.
(All girls welcome)"
Associated character: Yaoi Hands

Baseball team
"Aim for Koshien!"
Associated characters: Red, Masaki (this run)

Tennis club
Associated characters: Orange? (Randomly determined)

Science club
Associated character: Pink

Track team
"Let's run with the wind!"
Associated characters: Red, Masaki (sometimes)

Student Council
"Come!"
Associated character: Orange? (Randomly determined)

Broadcast club/Radio station
Associated character: Green

Soccer club
Associated characters: Red, Masaki (sometimes)

Aikido club
"Now recruiting club members"
Associated character: Purple

Because Purple is going to be the only character of any use to us whatsoever this game, we're going to join the Aikido club to join her. It'll save us the boredom of a no-club run.

This is what it looks like when you fail at the Aikido activity.

And this is what it looks like when you succeed at the Aikido activity. In Tokimemo 3, as in real Aikido, there's a whole lot of rolling and tumbling involved.

4/13-4/14: Knitting and Exploration

By the way, I was wrong about one thing - each of the Hobby activities and phone calls does indeed take an entire holiday. It's just that, as of the late '90s and early 2000s, most Japanese schools stopped having classes on Saturday. So now, both Saturdays and Sundays can be used for phone calls and for hobbies.

Sorry for the mistake. That means our first Sunday is taken up by buying a knitting catalog and exploring around the hill.

Goon: Hey, Yabe.

Takuo: Yo. Hey, have you seen a brownish tabby coat around here?
Goon: I haven't. Did your cat run away?
Takuo: No, nothing like that. I see it around this park a lot, and I haven't seen it today.
Goon: You come here that often?

Takuo: Yup. When I have some free time, I hang around with my camera in hand.
Takuo: Lately, I've been obsessed with taking pictures of cats.
Goon: Pictures of cats, eh?
Takuo: I can't help it, I just have to press the shutter when I see them basking in the sun.
Takuo: They're just the cutest!
Goon: Is that so.
Takuo: Anyway, I gotta go.
Goon: Yeah, see you later.
Goon: (Yabe and cats? I can't tell if I'm surprised or not.)

Eventually, wandering around town will find new date spots. Until then, we'll see randomly see some vignettes like this.

4/30: First official Emi appearance

This is the same as reported before. I'll let you know when the next ones come in.

5/9: Second Emi appearance

Goon: It sure feels great to run in the morning.

Emi: Good morning.
Goon: Hey, you're that girl from before.
Goon: Good morning.
Emi: The weather is great today.
Goon: Yeah, it is.
Emi: When the weather is this good in the morning, it really motivates you to work hard.
Goon: That's for sure.
Emi: Hehe, let's both do our best today.
Emi: Excuse me, I have to go.

Well, that was... vanilla.

5/13: Sampling the merchandise

Over the last few weekends, I skipped over some supremely mundane tasks, like listening to rock CDs to be able to talk about them and creating an original tea blend. You can eat these items at any time, for variable effects - this one in particular reduces our current stress to zero, though it wasn't that high in the first place. Still, it's something.

5/18: Sports Festival, for real this time

This time, instead of the all-consuming hatred of the three-legged race, I decided to go with the 100 meter dash, which is usually just a stats check.

But hey, guess what, guys? They added analog button controls to the mini-game! See how well you can control the pressure you exert on the X and O buttons, because if you press the buttons too hard (AKA you press the buttons) then you may run out of stamina and not be able to finish the race. The last time I saw a mechanic like this, it was in Stakes Winner 2 for the Neo Geo, where using too much of your horse's stamina meter would cause it to collapse on the track and probably be euthanized off-screen.

I don't know why I told that story, other than because Stakes Winner 2 is a hilarious game that doesn't require me to talk about Tokimemo 3.

I assume that the P bar stands for Power, which is how much reserve strength we have left in the tank. The S bar is current speed.

Excuse the PS2 interlacing here. The important thing is that maintaining speed doesn't consume too much P - it's acceleration that really hurts.

You know what? I'll take it.

Yukiko: You were so close.
Yukiko: But you tried your best, and I think you did really well.
Goon: Yeah, thanks.
Goon: (I wish I could've done better.)
Goon: And that's how this year's sports festival ended.

That's... a little bit of a weird thing to say out loud in front of everyone, Goon.

5/23: Chitose appears

I covered this in the previous update, and it's unchanged - you trigger it by hitting level 2 in Lit. Chitose pretty much comes by and warns you that you are in danger of meeting the most annoying character in this game.

6/4: Rika appears(?)

Due to hitting level 2 in Science, we got the Rika warning. By the way, have I mentioned that Rika means Science? So her name is a syllable away from being Cute Science.

Goon: (Hmm? There's someone hiding behind the foot lockers.)
Goon: Um, excuse me--

Goon: Huh? What the hell was that?

I don't even know what to say. The pink-haired stalker is the most interesting character we've met so far, and she hasn't even said anything.

6/10: New Moegino Watcher

This one's advertising Ennichi at Moegino Shrine, the beach opening for summer, a "Heartful Concert", and the annual summer fireworks show. Unlike before, we actually kind of stand a shot at being able to go to one of these on a date!

6/16: Aikido practice match

Goon's Aikido XP is very very low, so this one's a rout in the enemy's favor. I wish I could bring myself to care.

6/19: Meet Emi for real

This event comes up after enough time spent tumbling around on the aikido dojo's floor.

Goon: (Ow, drat, I came down pretty awkwardly there.)
Emi: Are you hurt?
Goon: Huh?! Uh, no, this is nothing, really.
Emi: You mustn't ignore this.
Emi: I will take you to the nurse's office and take care of this.
Emi: Let us go.
Goon: I told you, I'm fine. It's nothing big.

Emi: No, I cannot let you leave it at that.
Emi: Shall I lend you my shoulder?
Goon: Uh, sure.

Emi: They said it was a light bruise, and the swelling will go down by tomorrow.
Emi: I am very glad that it was not anything worse.
Goon: (I told you it wasn't serious.)

Emi: Oh dear, I forgot to introduce myself.
Emi: My name is Tachibana Emi.
Goon: I'm Fudou Gunzou. Thank you, Tachibana-san.
Emi: Do not thank me, I simply did what was needful.
Emi: Please, just sit and watch for the rest of the day.
Goon: (So that's Tachibana-san.)

We have now met the only reliable source of Serika information in the game. We will need to make sure to treat her nicely.

6/20: Serika event(?)

Goon: The clouds look pretty ominous.
Goon: It looks like it'll rain any second now.
Option 1: Eh, it's nothing to worry about.
Option 2: I have to hurry home before it really starts to come down!

In order to keep this event going, you have to choose the option to tempt fate.

Goon: Eh, I shouldn't worry about it.

Goon: Well, that was dumb.
Goon: This sucks.

Goon: What do I do now? I don't have an umbrella.
Serika: Fudou.
Serika: What's wrong? Why're you just standing around here?
Goon: Well, it's nothing really that wrong or anything...
Serika: Hmm? What, you didn't bring an umbrella?
Goon: Yeah. I didn't think it was going to rain today.

There's so much wrong with this animation that I don't know where to start.

Serika: I see. That's pretty unlucky.
Serika: Here, use mine.
Goon: I can't take this. I mean, what're you going to do, Shinjo-san?
Serika: You don't need to worry about me, I'm used to this.
Serika: Seriously, take it.

Serika: There. See ya.
Goon: Hey, wait! Shinjo-san!
Goon: (She ran off.)
Goon: (She said she's used to it, but I still feel really bad.)
Goon: (Next time I see her, I need to make sure I give this back.)

If you're going to make 3D models and give them walking/standing/running animations, why not... actually have them run off screen instead of just doing the ghost fade?

6/23: Call Yukiko for Emi info

This is as much of Emi's profile as we can get from Yukiko. We know she's in the Aikido club, and according to Yukiko, Emi is a traditional girl who loves the heart of Japanese culture. Her family seems to run an old sake brewery.

6/25: Serika event part 2

Goon: I have to make sure to return the umbrella I borrowed to Shinjo-san.
Goon: Come to think of it, I have no idea what class Shinjo-san is in. I never really see her at school.
Goon: Well, whatever. I'll just look for her.

Goon: Where is she?

Goon: I can't find her anywhere.

Serika: ...!

Serika: Oh, it's you. Need something?
Goon: I'm glad I found you, Shinjo-san.
Goon: Um, thanks a lot for the umbrella.
Goon: Here, have it back.

Serika: Oh, that? Don't worry about it.
Serika: I gave it to you on a whim.
Serika: You could've just kept it, I don't mind.
Goon: No way, I can't do that.

Serika: Whoa, it's this late already?
Serika: I have some things I need to take care of, so I gotta go.
Serika: See ya.
Goon: Uh, see ya.

7/2: The Second Labor of Vibratingsheep: The Lernaean Engrish

This line is absolute murder on the ears. I wish I'd never hit Lit level 4.
Goon: Huh?

Option 1: What? My zipper's open? (in Japanese)
Option 2: Wait till the light turns green. (in English)
Option 3: Wh, what're you saying? (in Japanese)

Goon: What? My zipper's open?

Chitose: Ahaha, sorry. I'm just kidding.
Chitose: You even understand this kind of English without having to think about it. You're as good as I thought.
Goon: (Seriously, what the hell was that?)

There are so many better ways to make this joke.

7/5: The first successful walk home

It's been 3 months, and this is going to be the first successful attempt out of about 10.

Goon: (Time to head home.)
Goon: (Hmm? Isn't that Tachibana-san over there?)
Option 1: Call out to her

Emi: Oh! Good afternoon.
Emi: Oh yes, it looks like you have been working hard lately.
Emi: All of the talk about you is nothing but good.
Goon: Thanks! Say, do you want to walk home together?
Emi: Yes, that's fine.

Goon: By the way, Tachibana-san...
Emi: Yes?
Option 1: Try asking her out on a date.
Option 2: Ask for her phone number
Option 3: Just go home.

It's been 3 months, but it finally feels like we are playing a Tokimemo!

Asking her on a date brings up a very familiar interface, but with a few improvements, letting you know any special events that are going to pop up on the weekends.

Because Tokimemo traditions need to be upheld and Emi is a lover of festivals, we'll ask her to out to Ennichi.

Goon: Want to go to Ennichi with me on the 28th?
Emi: Yes, that sounds fine.
Goon: Alright, let's meet in front of the temple gate on that day.
Emi: Understood.
Goon: (July 28th, I have to make sure to remember that.)

Next time: Countdown to Frown Town

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 12, 2014

Niel
Mar 5, 2013

...Did she just literally pull that umbrella out of her rear end?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
That is some seriously oldschool umbrella. And then she fades into nothingness. If Gray doesn't turn out to be a ghost I will be seriously disappointed.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Yay, I didn't know we'd get another update before the stream tonight! :neckbeard:

So much about this game is just so bad; I just kept laughing through reading this update. Thank you for playing it for us, Sheep, and thank you for providing funny commentary.

The thing that really cracks me up is that you have to go through menus to simulate your hobbies during the weekends. Is there a girl that likes video games? Do any of them actually respond positively to talking about dating sim games in conversation?

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
I keep missing the stream, so I didn't appreciate how bad the cell shared models and animations were until I saw the umbrella trick. Goddamn.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I still can't get over how bad everything looks. Especially because 2 had some really nice artwork to it.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

vibratingsheep posted:

No see she just got an itch and then scooped up the just-off-screen umbrella! :stonklol:

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

vibratingsheep posted:

"I hid this uncomfortable hunk of wood up my rear end for two years."

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Catalina posted:

The thing that really cracks me up is that you have to go through menus to simulate your hobbies during the weekends. Is there a girl that likes video games? Do any of them actually respond positively to talking about dating sim games in conversation?

Red likes games in general, especially RPGs but she is fine talking about dating games. Pink likes shooting games and fighting games. Yellow is interested in RPGs and dating games.

Amusingly, these are the topics in the game that have overwhelmingly unfavorable reactions and no favorable reactions whatsoever: algebra, trigonometry, graphical representations of data, what they ate for breakfast...

And going into detail about anime and game music. :psyduck:

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 12, 2014

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

I just realized what this animation reminds me of.

This does not bode well.

Kay Kessler fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 12, 2014

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

vibratingsheep posted:

Amusingly, these are the topics in the game that have overwhelmingly unfavorable reactions and no favorable reactions whatsoever: algebra, trigonometry, graphical representations of data, what they ate for breakfast...

Maybe the girls are all rotten?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Poil posted:

Maybe the girls are all rotten?

Odds on one of them shipping the player x Masaki? :v:

Catalina
May 20, 2008

vibratingsheep posted:

Math is hard

FrostyJones
Sep 23, 2012

And after having found someone to give the cursedfateful umbrella, Serika could finally pass from this world...

Fade Out.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

vibratingsheep posted:

Well, I'm sorry ladies. I'm not going to pretend I don't like JAM Project just because your cel-shaded tushies think it's nerdy.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Live with the stream a little early tonight because the NBA finals aren't that interesting right now.

http://twitch.tv/vibratingsheep

Tonight's goal: actually going on a date.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
This game really does just look like steaming hot piss, huh.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Having classes on Saturdays must have sucked.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

sincx posted:

Having classes on Saturdays must have sucked.

From what I heard they were only half days, so they were slightly lenient I guess.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

I don't think this game looks that bad. The graphics don't matter that much.
I thought the umbrella animation was funny along with it being an old-rear end umbrella.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

That umbrella had better secretly be a sword. :colbert:

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
How many things are there to dig up? Between that and the 'explore action' I'm imagining Goon spending his free time wandering aimlessly and exhuming random items which he hoards in his lonely room.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

How many things are there to dig up? Between that and the 'explore action' I'm imagining Goon spending his free time wandering aimlessly and exhuming random items which he hoards in his lonely room.

There are 9 items to get from excavation (not including the shovel), and 2 from exploring. Of these 11 items, 3 are useful.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Tokimemo 3, chapter 4: Working hard, not smart

7/8-7/12: Midterms

I've been choosing my activities with no real purpose, though I should probably be spending more time working on art because Yellow is approximately 50 times better than Green to talk to. This means that Goon's first testing cycle will have great grades in everything except art. Not that it really matters, since Serika doesn't care about grades.

7/13: Watch an infomercial

Setting the cursor to mouse mode and clicking on Goon's television on the weekend leads to an utterly obnoxious 30-second commercial that takes an entire day to watch, but can lead to the acquisition of unique items.

For reference, Tokimemo 3 predates Persona 3 by 5 years.

Bob: What's wrong, Johnny? You seem down!
Johnny: Hey, Bob.
Johnny: Well... my girlfriend dumped me.
Johnny: She said "I don't like short guys."

Woman's voice: Has this ever happened to you?
Woman's voice: If only you had these Secret Boots!
Woman's voice: Buy them today, and the world will look completely different!
Johnny: Wow, it's true! I look 10 centimeters taller!
Woman's voice: Order now, and we'll include special odorless insoles! What a great deal!

Bob and Johnny: Call now! Operators are standing by!
Goon: After watching that, I kinda want it.
Goon: Maybe I'll call in.

Do you remember the Big Shot show in Cowboy Bebop, featuring two uber-American characters speaking with thick accents? Yeah, that's how this one sounds.

7/14: Operators were, in fact, standing by

After watching the infomercial, a new phone number shows up in the phone book for Moegino Mail Order. Calling it eats up another day, and leads to this:

Goon: Hello?
Goon: I'd like to order those Secret Boots for men that I saw on TV.
Goon: My address is...
Goon: Yes, that's correct. Thank you.
Goon: Alright! It's on its way. It should arrive tomorrow night or so.
Goon: I'm pretty excited.

I did some research, and there are only two items from mail order (out of twelve) that have any game effect whatsoever. One is the Secret Boots, which can be worn on dates to really poor effect. The other is the Self-Hypnosis Study Set, which is amazing for stat grinding because it always gives you full preparation for lit, science, and art study.

7/15: Test results

Goon: Looks like I did pretty well this time.

39th: Shiratori Masaki
52nd: Fudou Gunzou
101st: Makihara Yukiko
140th: Tachibana Emi
212th: Shinjo Serika
222nd: Yabe Takuo

7/18: School swim meet

The school swim meet doesn't appear to serve any purpose other than to show you people in their PE swimsuits and boost popularity assuming Goon's Sports stat is high (it is).

Goon: Hey, Shiratori.

Shiratori: Hmph. Another girl has fallen prey to this beautiful body of mine.
Shiratori: Hahaha, it should be a crime to be this gorgeous.
Goon: (.........)
Goon: (I think the best thing to do here is just leave him alone.)
Goon: (Well, whatever, I should just pretend that didn't happen and concentrate on the race.)

Goon: Yes! I came in first!
Goon: And my class won the championship!

Yukiko: You did it! We won!
Goon: Yeah, we all did well.

Yukiko: It's all because of your hard work.
Yukiko: Umm... thanks.
Goon: (I feel pretty lucky that I was able to contribute to our win.)

7/20: Decorating the room

Another of the new systems in Tokimemo 3 is the ability to decorate your own room. Depending on what items you've or acquired, there are different slots in the room where you can equip items and change up what the room looks like.

At the moment, I've only found two items that can be put in the room, so there are only a few slots open.

90% of the items are hideously ugly. Observe: the Petrified Wood item you can find from the Excavation activity.

"What an... interesting table you have, Goon."
"Yeah, I dug up a stump."
"The, uh, the stump really ties the room together."
"Doesn't it?"

7/23: The Traditional Double Date

(ring ring)
Goon: Hello?
Masaki: Hey, it's Shiratori.
Goon: Oh, it's you. What do you want?
Masaki: I'll get right to the point. Are you busy right now?
Goon: Uh, I guess I'm not doing anything.
Masaki: Hmph, I thought as much.
Masaki: Want to go to the amusement park today?
Goon: With you? Why would I ever go to to park with you?
Masaki: Don't worry, you'll just be an extra.
Masaki: I'm bringing two girls with me, so I only called you to make the numbers work.
Goon: (Well, at least he's honest.)
Goon: So, who else is coming?
Masaki: You'll see when you get here.
Masaki: So, are you coming or not?
Goon: Eh, I guess I could go.
Masaki: Then hurry over to the train station.
Masaki: Keep in mind, I have no problems leaving you behind if you're a second late.
(click)
Goon: Well, I guess I should head out.

I want Takumi back. He was oily, but he was friendly.

Masaki: You're late.
Goon: It's your fault for calling me in so late.
Masaki: I extended a special invitation to you. Be more thankful.
Goon: (What a jerk.)

Emi: Good morning.
Serika: Morning.
Goon: Good morning Tachibana-san, Shinjo-san.
Emi: I'm really looking forward to today. Let's have a lot of fun.
Serika: Yeah, should be fun.

Masaki: Ah, everyone's here. Let's get going.

Emi: So, which attractions shall we stop by today?
Serika: Wow, you're way more excited than usual, Emi.
Emi: Yes. These amusement parks are much more interesting to enjoy with this many good friends.
Serika: Good point. Maybe I should be more excited too.
Emi: Yes, please.

Goon: (So, what should I do?)
Option 1: Ride with Tachibana-san
Option 2: Ride with Shinjo-san

Because this is supposed to be the Serika route we're doing here, we'll be choosing 2 each time.

Masaki: Wait a second.
Masaki: Serika-san, would you like to go with me?
Serika: Hmm? With you?
Goon: Hey, wait a second.
Masaki: Hmph. I suppose we should be fair and let Serika-san decide for herself.

Okay, now I really miss Takumi.

Serika: Sure. Hmm...
Serika: Let's go, Shiratori.
Masaki: Hmph. And that's the way it is.

What a jerk.

Masaki: Well, should we get going, Serika-san?
Serika: Yeah.
Goon: (And there they go...)

Emi: Well - shall we go together then?
Goon: Yeah, I guess.

Masaki: So, have you decided what we're riding?
Option 1: Let's go to the Ferris wheel.
Option 2: Let's go to the roller coaster.
Option 3: Let's go to Märchen World.

Well, since Masaki is so interested in cock-blocking us, let's force him to take Serika to all of the places she hates. First up: Märchen World.

Masaki: Märchen World, eh? Alright, let's go.

Goon: (Märchen World is an attraction where you can enjoy the world of fairy tales. It feels like it's just for little kids.)

Emi: I think that Märchen World is such a fun place, but no one was there.
Emi: Serika says that it is because it is so childish, just going inside is embarrassing.
Goon: (Eh.)

We now interrupt our LP for this public service announcement
This is your neck.

This is your neck on drugs.

Any questions?

Goon: (So, what should we do next?
Goon: Ride with Shinjo-san.

Yep. It happens again. So, we're going to go to the other attraction that Serika doesn't like much.

Emi: Ferris wheels are quite nice.
Emi: Even though they just rotate slowly, it feels like taking a mid-air stroll.
Goon: (She seemed pretty happy.)

The third time, Serika said yes. Suck it, Masaki.

Serika: Woo, I feel great.
Serika: This is definitely the reason to go to the park!
Serika: That feeling when you cut through the wind as you drop is unbelievable.
Serika: Although, I feel kind of sorry for Emi. She doesn't like this kind of thing...
Goon: (Well, she looks like she had fun, at least.)

Masaki: It's so late already. Time sure does fly.
Masaki: We should head home soon.
Goon: Yeah, you're right.

Emi: Today was a lot of fun. Let's come back here together some time.
Serika: Well, it was pretty fun. Maybe if I have some free time, we can come again.

Masaki: Yes, if we have another chance we should all come back.
Goon: Yeah.

Masaki: Keep your expectations low. I might not invite you, if I don't feel like it.
Goon: O, okay.

And that's actually how that day ends. What the hell.

7/28: The third labor of Vibratingsheep: The Golden Outfit of Artemis

Here comes one of the least liked parts of Tokimemo 3 (and there are a lot of parts that are disliked): the wardrobe!

It seems simple enough, right? There are four equipment slots. From top to bottom, you have accessories (hats and eyewear), tops, pants, and shoes.

Here's a quick list of every slot and what Goon can wear in each slot at this point in the game:

Accessories
  • Nothing
  • Baseball cap
  • Black-rimmed glasses

Tops
  • Nothing
  • T-shirt
  • Men's jersey
  • Casual shirt
  • Sweater
  • Hawaiian shirt
  • Plain white T-shirt
  • Plain black T-shirt
  • White collared shirt
  • Black collared shirt
  • Suit top

Pants
  • Cotton pants
  • Jeans
  • Sweat pants
  • Shorts
  • Black cotton pants
  • Suit pants

Shoes
  • Nothing
  • Sneakers
  • Dress shoes
  • Sandals
  • Geta
  • Secret Boots

According to the guide I read, Emi should like the specific combo of Plain T-Shirt, Cotton Pants, and Sneakers in summer. Let's see what happens.

Goon: (Let's see, Tachibana-san is...)

Emi: Fudou-san.
Goon: Hey, Tachibana-san.
Emi: You're right on time. That's wonderful.
Goon: Yeah, you too.

Emi: ...
Goon: Hmm?

Emi: Um, umm, it's -- it's nothing.

This reaction means she doesn't like it, and we lose points. What the hell.

I spent another 15 minutes changing up the outfit to see if she would like any of them. The only one she tolerated was the glasses, suit, and dress shoes, and since outfits decay in effectiveness each time a girl sees you in them, I gave up and went with the original outfit.

On the plus side, none of these efforts ended in her walking away. However, my trial run for this had a similar outfit to the first stream run, with one major difference: Goon wore a hat.

That single addition made it so Emi walked out.

Emi: Um... are you going to walk around in that outfit?
Emi: I, I just remembered something I have to take care of right away.
Emi: I'm sorry. Excuse me!
Goon: (She ran off... did she not like what I was wearing?)

You know what? Screw this game.

YKWSTG count: 2

Goon: Tachibana-san, you're wearing a yukata today.
Emi: Yes, my mother helped me put it on properly.
Emi: Um... how does it look?
Option 1: It's elegant, I like it.
Option 2: It's very cute.
Option 3: It's kinda old-fashioned.

Goon: It's elegant, I like it.
Emi: Thank you. I love the pattern on this yukata, and I was very much looking forward to wearing it.
Emi: I'm glad you like it too.
Goon: (Looks like I made a great impression!)

It feels like so long since I've seen that line.

Goon: There are a lot of stalls and stands here - let's go check them out.
Emi: Good idea.

Emi: The game stalls were over there - should we play something?
Option 1: Let's play the frog jumping game.
Option 2: Let's play Smartball.
Option 3: It sounds stupid, I'll pass.

Smartball is essentially a timed pachinko game where you press buttons and get points, which I should not mock since I work with PopCap Games on a regular basis.

The frog jumping game is a little more interesting as a mini-game, since it takes the least time and doesn't worry about analog buttons or any other aggravating PS2 "innovations". Step 1: A frog rises up from an elevator, Hunger Games-style.

Step 2: Aim at the lilypad of your choice and hold down the button to determine how far you'll launch the frog.

Step 3: Let go of the button, hope you land on a lilypad and receive that many points. You have 3 frogs, unless you are good enough to land on the small, moving wooden platforms that give you 3 more frogs (for a theoretical maximum score of 280 points or so).

At the end of the game, you have to redeem your points. Here are the prizes, their point costs, and their uses:

10 points: Tissue paper (present only)
30 points: Soap set (present only)
50 points: Photo of a female enka singer (present only)
60 points: Photo of a female idol group (present only)
120 points: Hamster (cannot be bought, it's a dummy prize)
150 points: CPU Accelerator (makes the Web Surfing activity faster)
170 points: Leather jacket (can be worn; several girls like this)
200 points: A family trip to Hawaii (present only)

Other years will include various charms that raise stat growth and one that increases after-school encounter rates, while the big prizes are really the big-ticket items. No one likes any of the other items really (although it is potentially hilarious since you are allowed too put on the lipstick before dates). Emi being Emi, I bought the photo of an enka singer for her to see what would happen.

Goon: That went alright, I guess.
Emi: It was good, I had fun watching you.
Goon: Here, I'll give you the prize I won.

Emi: Thank you.
Goon: (Eh.)

Oh well. I shouldn't have expected much more from the 50-point prize, I guess.

Masaki: Y, yo. You two came here too?
Masaki: It's, uh, it's quite a coincidence to see you here.
Goon: Hey, Shiratori. Did you come here alone?

Masaki: Wh, what're you implying? There's no way that a guy like me would go here alone!
Masaki: Now if you'll excuse me, the girl I brought here is waiting for me.
Masaki: Ha! Ha. Ha...
Goon: (So he really is alone?)

8/5-8/9: Aikido summer camp

Goon: Summer camp starts today.
Goon: Time to focus and work hard!

If we hadn't met Emi already, then this is where we would meet her for the first time, since we're in the Aikido club. Other than that, absolutely nothing of interest happens here. It's just a week of forced Aikido.

8/25: The loneliest fireworks

Since we can't contact Emi or Serika yet, plus summer vacation prevents anyone from showing up after school for conversations, this event is pretty much the saddest.

Goon: Oh yeah, the fireworks show is tonight.
Option 1: Watch the fireworks
Goon: Well, I don't have anything better to do.

Goon: It's just as crowded as I expected around here.
Goon: Oh, the show's starting soon.

Goon: Woo! It's awesome seeing the show from the best seats!
Goon: ...
Goon: ...
Goon: Sigh.

Goon: Guess I'll head home.
Goon: Oh. Hey, Shiratori.
Masaki: Hmph. You're not with anyone tonight?
Masaki: To spend such a perfect romantic night alone is so... sad.
Goon: You know what, man, I--

Goon: (Huh? Makihara-san?)
Yukiko: What's wrong, Shiratori-kun? We should hurry.
Masaki: Hmph. As you can see, I'm with her today, and you'll have to excuse us.

Goon: I'm so frustrated right now.

You and me both, kid.

Next time: Progress!

Kind of.

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jun 18, 2014

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

This is just depressing now. :(

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
You know before that fireworks scene it seemed like Shiratori was your main love interest.

I just can't get over how bad these models are.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

There's an event where we get to punch Shiratori right in the mouth, yes? Some sort of "beat up the douchebag" mini-game would improve this game out of sight.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Man, Shiratori is dropping all those secret romance option flags.

Happy Blue
Oct 18, 2012
Shiratori really does seem like a jealous love interest, doesn't he? I keep imagining all his lines being said by Ijuuin Rei.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Holy hell Shiratori is a dick. Can we get Takumi back? Please? Also, the Secret Boots are a reference to Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, where there was a hidden pair of boots you could equip that had horrid defense, but also altered Alucard's sprite to be one pixel taller. :eng101:

• Locked thread