Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Roy
Jan 29, 2008

Animals are like humans, always being dicks.
I'm fairly sure they gave Kitty the time travelling power in DoFP just to make up for the fact they were changing canon to send fan boy favourite Wolverine back instead of her. That and the fact she wouldn't have been born yet in the seventies. Loved that loving film anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Computers are often horribly, cringingly misused in movies and TV, but probably the most common is a version of...

- protagonist examining grainy low res surveilance photo
- "Zoom in. Can you clean up that image?"
- Beep boop, cheap pixelation effect, and voila! A perfect image of someone's face!
- "That's the best I can do"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZboyfaVLM4

Thy do it with video games too.

"You hold the high score in virtually every massively multiplayer online role playing game! :downs:"

"Can you get to level ten? *plays Prince of Persia*"

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

CJacobs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZboyfaVLM4

Thy do it with video games too.

"You hold the high score in virtually every massively multiplayer online role playing game! :downs:"

"Can you get to level ten? *plays Prince of Persia*"

Video games are the absolute worst for this. If you're lucky, someone will be playing a game in the background with an applicable controller, the system is actually plugged in, and realistic sound effects will be coming from the TV. God help anyone who enjoys the hobby if games have even one iota to do with the plot of the movie/episode, because then it's just gibberish.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Morpheus posted:

God help anyone who enjoys the hobby if games have even one iota to do with the plot of the movie/episode, because then it's just gibberish.

The problem is probably a combination of not wanting to pay to secure any potential IP rights and not wanting to do the extra work to create something original for throwaway moments. The prop industry should churn out a video game equivalent to the newspaper used everywhere, but then this thread would just be complaining about that overused game being everywhere like the Wilhelm scream

http://www.slashfilm.com/lol-the-reoccurring-prop-newspaper/

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
On the other side of this is Spaced, where Simon Pegg insisted on actually playing the games during his scenes but kept getting distracted and forgetting his lines.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The same also happened in Shaun of the Dead. Pegg likes being authentic. :v:

KoB
May 1, 2009

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Does she suffer from Lois Lane syndrome where she somehow teleports all over the god damned world to be involved in the movie, like in Man of Steel?

Haven't seen the big G yet, but just curious.

Shes in San Francisco the whole time I think.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Sentient Data posted:

The problem is probably a combination of not wanting to pay to secure any potential IP rights and not wanting to do the extra work to create something original for throwaway moments. The prop industry should churn out a video game equivalent to the newspaper used everywhere, but then this thread would just be complaining about that overused game being everywhere like the Wilhelm scream

Actually, it's the Howie scream, and

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

CratSock posted:

Computers are often horribly, cringingly misused in movies and TV, but probably the most common is a version of...

- protagonist examining grainy low res surveilance photo
- "Zoom in. Can you clean up that image?"
- Beep boop, cheap pixelation effect, and voila! A perfect image of someone's face!
- "That's the best I can do"

Hacking was lampooned wonderfully in the last Transformers movie, with Dutch (played by THE GUY FROM FIREFLY!) remarking how difficult 128 bit encryption is to crack... but not for him! One click and he's broken through. Not even an attempt at an explanation, and that's why it worked so well.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Squalitude posted:

Hacking was lampooned wonderfully in the last Transformers movie, with Dutch (played by THE GUY FROM FIREFLY!) remarking how difficult 128 bit encryption is to crack... but not for him! One click and he's broken through. Not even an attempt at an explanation, and that's why it worked so well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMIHNiR3CP8

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

"Un-crop" gets me every time :D

Here's how you really hack, anyway:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Morpheus posted:

Video games are the absolute worst for this. If you're lucky, someone will be playing a game in the background with an applicable controller, the system is actually plugged in, and realistic sound effects will be coming from the TV. God help anyone who enjoys the hobby if games have even one iota to do with the plot of the movie/episode, because then it's just gibberish.

40 Year Old Virgin had Paul Rudd and Seth Rogen playing a last-gen Mortal Kombat with N64 controllers.:arghfist::spergin:

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

That is almost painful to watch without the laugh track...

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

mng posted:

Oh, so Robocop did it first. And here I thought Frenzy in the first Transformers was the cutting edge of hacking technology. It's all so clear now: You just stick a pointy bit of metal into a mainframe and bam.
http://vimeo.com/7210944

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

mng posted:

First, I have to clarify that I have no problem whatsoever with The Fist Jack.

Anyway, was that supposed to be a standard connector in the future? At first it might seem like they built it specially for him into the Crimeputer, but they also had them built into the offices and boardroom TVs in OCP headquarters.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Squalitude posted:

That is almost painful to watch without the laugh track...

It was pretty painfull all round really :( I pretend they never came back.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Esroc posted:

On the other side of this is Spaced, where Simon Pegg insisted on actually playing the games during his scenes but kept getting distracted and forgetting his lines.

Blew my goddamn mind when he was playing Resident Evil 2 and actually pauses the game before turning and facing his friend to talk.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

poptart_fairy posted:

Blew my goddamn mind when he was playing Resident Evil 2 and actually pauses the game before turning and facing his friend to talk.

They're playing Time Splitters 2 in Shaun of the Dead with all the right sound effects.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Pneub posted:

Anyway, was that supposed to be a standard connector in the future?

Yes, at least according to the live-action Robocop TV series, or at least what I remember of it.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

A trivia note: The newspaper in the first Willy Wonka flick features a picture of Martin Bormann as the golden ticket counterfeiter.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Pneub posted:

Anyway, was that supposed to be a standard connector in the future? At first it might seem like they built it specially for him into the Crimeputer, but they also had them built into the offices and boardroom TVs in OCP headquarters.

And that one guys neck.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Esroc posted:

Hell, it becomes the plot for an episode that he stats up for 3 days playing Resident Evil and starts thinking everyone else is a zombie. IIRC, it's what gave him the idea for Shaun of the Dead.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Pegg has nothing on Graham Linehan in terms of nerd authenticity, there's an IT Crowd outtake where Linehan corrects an actor's "role-play games" to "role-playing" games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BPI2Xb9G-4&t=1790s

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Darth Freddy posted:

And that one guys neck.

We're living in the past's version of the future:

(it's hard to find a picture of this thing that doesn't look like a bad photoshop)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I hate to touch the poop here, but I've got one for Return of the Jedi.

In the big fight scene at the end of the movie, the rebellion destroys the giant star destroyer and the death star and then we cut to the planet for celebrations and singing loving ewoks. But what about the couple of hundred other star destroyers they were fighting?

"At that close range, we won't last long against those Star Destroyers!"

Well, apparently he was wrong.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Gorilla Salad posted:

In the big fight scene at the end of the movie, the rebellion destroys the giant star destroyer and the death star and then we cut to the planet for celebrations and singing loving ewoks. But what about the couple of hundred other star destroyers they were fighting?

They wouldn't have. But the shield got dropped rather quickly into the trap and dumb luck hosed over command due to the captial ship being blown the gently caress up by some random A-Wing which doesn't make any goddamned sense if the ship had some kinds of shields but hey, it's loving Star Wars so who gives a poo poo?

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Gorilla Salad posted:

The Emperor was using the force to enhance the fighters and commanders for the Empire and when he died it was too jarring for them and the Rebels cleaned them out easily. For real, this is the (no longer) canon explanation.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Well in the real world battles have ended when a leader on one side died, so the idea of everyone going "gently caress this" after the death star and the flagship got blown up is not entirely crazy. Also a decent number of the big ships were probably somewhere near the death star and got exploded as well.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
If I'm in command of an Imperial ship and I see the Death Star just blowed up for the second time, and the Emperor and Darth ostensibly killed, I'm throwing up my hands and going home too.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
"If we can't beat a guy with one hand and a bunch of teddy bears, clearly the empire isn't the best horse to bet on guys."

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

According to Wookieepedia, a most of the fleet immediately fled but a chunk of them remained and fought for several hours before being defeated.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

MrJacobs posted:

which doesn't make any goddamned sense if the ship had some kinds of shields
Isn't there a conversation on the bridge right before that crash where some guy comes up and tells the commander that they've lost shields and the commander says they should intensify their fire in response? I don't want to point fingers but if the chain of command on their futuristic spaceship involves a dude walking back and forth with status reports, it's no wonder they loving lost.

totally losing my mime
Aug 3, 2012

The quiet can scrape
All the calm from your bones.
But maybe it should.
Maybe we need to be hollowed
To get up and grow,
And stop fucking around,
To kick off our braces and start straightening out
Fun Shoe

MrJacobs posted:

They wouldn't have. But the shield got dropped rather quickly into the trap and dumb luck hosed over command due to the captial ship being blown the gently caress up by some random A-Wing which doesn't make any goddamned sense if the ship had some kinds of shields but hey, it's loving Star Wars so who gives a poo poo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW_hGOFukMQ

Shield generator gets destroyed first (around 0:06)

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

UtinniOnTheRocks posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW_hGOFukMQ

Shield generator gets destroyed first (around 0:06)

I like how the generator is right out there sitting on spindly legs.

totally losing my mime
Aug 3, 2012

The quiet can scrape
All the calm from your bones.
But maybe it should.
Maybe we need to be hollowed
To get up and grow,
And stop fucking around,
To kick off our braces and start straightening out
Fun Shoe

Mister Kingdom posted:

I like how the generator is right out there sitting on spindly legs.

And apparently not covered by the shields.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

UtinniOnTheRocks posted:

And apparently not covered by the shields.

Someone has never played a video game. :rolleyes:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The fairly terrible Ryan Reynolds/Jeff Bridges action comedy RIPD has some confusing parts. Like, why exactly are they hiding the whole afterlife from normal people?

Also I thought it was completely unnecessary that their guns completely erase people from existence. Especially for how cavalier they were in shooting "deadoes."

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I just watched "It's a Disaster", and I'm getting really tired of disaster films like this where people don't survive. Personal preference, I suppose, but it's just tiring, especially when the government never seems to be able to do anything about the disaster in question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

MrJacobs posted:

You would think a huge ship like that would have some kind of redundancy to prevent such a thing.

Anyway, sometimes i don't see the ending of RotJ as a happily ever after ending. The empire supposedly spans the galaxy and they probably have a bunch of divisions and other star destroyers, so i imagine a galaxy wide civil war is just waiting to happen now with a bunch of leaderless Imperial commanders now going to act as independent warlords with their own star destroyers. The military hierarchy was already so f'ed up with each commander acting on it's own wim (see: star destroyers crashing into each other trying to catch the falcon instead of any kind of concerted action).

Might make it easier for the rebels, but still, it's gonna be bloody.

Also, why didn't the rebels just use their space fleet to bombard that parabol supplying the death star shield on Endor. If i remember correctly the skies above it was free due to Emperors plan to draw the rebels into the Endor base were their horribly environmentally unsuited commandos were waiting to ambush them.

The Empire are kind of poo poo at strategy, they can't combine forces to svae their lives. Like on Hoth, in a wolrd with hovering vehicles and space ships they use walkers that are slow, can be tripped and can only shoot from a narrow angle right in front of them. Amazing how the attack pattern delta includes flying in front of that narrow space, done right they shouldn't have lost a single speeder to those walkers.

I mean, an Empire which has resources to build a space center the size of a moon, can't spare a couple of fighters on Hoth? They would be massively useful on Hoth against speeders, combine that with TIE bombers to bomb the shield generator. And they had a star destroyer right above Hoth which houses fighters, so they were there. They couldn't spare bombers on Hoth, but can afford to send them to bomb countless asteroids in the search for the Flacon?

At this rate they would probably lose against the Talibans even.

Armchair general here, i know, but that's how it looks to my untrained eye.

edit: while walkers are a flawed design and the empire being incompetent, i think it all makes sense. A corrupt empire with an absolutist emperor people must always be vying for his favor, and they must suffer from a crippling military industrial complex. Hence moneypits such as the walkers, it's the F-35 of The Empire. Or how major flaws like lack of star destroyer redundancy and vulnerable reactor ports are overlooked.
Or intense interservice rivalry preventing the navy, air force and army cooperating. A functional galaxy wide empire would probably have a ton of TIE fighters defending the first death star instead of a handful.

The Empire embodies the largest flaws of Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan, in a way. Military at least, they do genocide but maybe not racial war of extermination and such.

Falukorv has a new favorite as of 14:06 on Jun 10, 2014