Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yes, armor works against Whispers. It also works against Burning which is something a lot of people overlook.

My friend has been talking about Yan Lo with Armor +4 Fuhatsu. I have been trying to find a decent counter to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

dexefiend posted:

My friend has been talking about Yan Lo with Armor +4 Fuhatsu. I have been trying to find a decent counter to that.

I'd suggest sticking Slow on him and walking the other direction, really.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

gnome7 posted:

I'd suggest sticking Slow on him and walking the other direction, really.

I was going to say to tie him up in melee with something like a flesh construct, forcing him to burn an action on the push spell every turn, and preventing him from ever getting the Sweep off.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Went in a tournament and went 0-2-1. It was my first time in awhile in a tournament scene and I forgot you have to start finishing up points when time is called.

My first loss was him winning by one while I had nothing but was set up to complete all my schemes next turn. It counted on Lilith launching herself with Tangle Shadows by you need a 9 to cast it and not an 8 (with a soulstone for the mask) which prevented her from entering the enemy side of the board. Now that I think about it, Bodyguard is probably the worst since it can only go off turn 4 and if you are up against a person with a very complicated crew like Hoff/Levi/Hamelin (you must be a cripple to join that club I guess) you might not see turn 4.

I was in position to kill a minion for the next two turns for Make them Suffer

Second one was quick and a tie. It would have been a win, but for those with attacks with an self push attached to it [b]it triggers Pounce. So Barbaros yelled out he is going to make sure to seperate the undead hooker away from the rest of the crew for the full three points of take prisoner, bodychecks her with Bull rush into a tent and follows up with "push [Barbaros] into base to base contact" (which is not up to, but a full push) and then... it stabbed in the gut with an umbrella.

The proper way was to do the 1 action for the 4" push and then walk so Barb has her in range but she cannot hit her.

The third game was with JoshTheStampede and I saw Howard do Red Joker damage to Lilith bringing her down to three and then Ramos having to explode spiders in her face.

I misplaced my Mature Neph to Wing Gust them all away. He would have gotten only one model (who would have pushed into someone right behind him) but next turn he would have been able to blast Joss, Johan, and Ramos away.

A tight hallway they were going down made it amazing for Lilith. The turn order for Ramos was to toe in to the tree so he can actually see beyond it and Lilith would then cast Illusionary Terrain to pick up all the trees and move them so he is now outside of them.

Plus some quick tips

• As long as you don't end a move action inside an engagement range of an enemy model, you do not have to disengage
  • Lilith can launch herself with Tangle Shadows to a model by selecting herself as the "friendly model within 6" of this model". What will happen is that you will first place the model within 6" (Lilith) in base contact with the target within 12" and then the next step instructs you to then place the target model in base contact with "this model" (also Lilith). Once Lilith arrives, she can then pick up the target model and place it anywhere else in base contact with her. Good to keep weak models out of engagement.
  • Lilith's trees are better than the Waldegeist's trees. Her's are dense (LOS blocking) while Wald's only gives soft cover (can see through)
  • Lilith's trees can be placed underneath models. It has no clause like Rasputina's or Sonnia's walls that say they have to be placed at least 1" away.
  • Lilith's trees HAVE NO END CONDITION. Not at end of turn, not at next activation, not even on death. The only thing that removes them is if the Crew takes the action again. Which means as soon as you announce you are trying to make trees, remove the old trees. They are gone even if you fail casting the spell again.
  • Master of Malifaux does not saw you can attack through walls like her old 1.5E. It says "does not need LoS to target models with Charge" but this is for the movement requiring for a target (which requires LOS to get a target, which Master of Malifaux lets you ignore in this case) to start the Charge. The attacks generated are Greatsword attack actions, not Charge actions.
  • If you take Lilith, there is no reason not to take Living Blade and Beckon Malifaux always. Living Blade turns her into a swamp and Beckon is free terrain you can place anywhere ignore LOS unlike Sonnia or Rasputina who need to see it themselves or require an Ice Gamin (in Rasp's case) to see it.
  • Summon the Blood (for swarm, LIKE SOME drat SPIDERS) and Wicked Mistress to make a Peacekeeper/Random Big Thing/Random Fast Thing keep ramming himself into a house. Both are taken only for certain matchups or schemes.
  • Grow upgrade is a trap. Do not fall for it. Too much time not doing schemes trying to prep an enemy to be gummed to death by a Tot. Youngs never provide me any positive feedback. If you want to be addicted to Grow wait for the Shaman. Nekima is way too much power to dedicate to making slow models.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

What's the latest word on Through the Breach? All I can find is some minor drama regarding Nathan Caroland's response to inquiries, and the unfortunate news that Mack Martin is no longer with Wyrd.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Jonas Albrecht posted:

What's the latest word on Through the Breach? All I can find is some minor drama regarding Nathan Caroland's response to inquiries, and the unfortunate news that Mack Martin is no longer with Wyrd.

He's still working on TTB I think, he's just a freelancer instead of an employee now.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

JoshTheStampede posted:

He's still working on TTB I think, he's just a freelancer instead of an employee now.

That's good to know, I thought his experience was really good for Wyrd.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

TtB announced for a summer release, so next few months I guess. Wyrd tends not to give release dates they dont think they can hit in print anymore, so seems reliable

And yeah, Mack is Freelance, but will still be working with Wyrd, it wasn't a bad split or anything

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Jonas Albrecht posted:

The PDFs released are pretty cool.
I'll be setting a group up as soon as we get a release date.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So I have a 55ss tournament coming up in about a month and I'm thinking of just taking the following list.
  • Hoffman
    -Field Mechanic (2ss)

• Ryle (10ss)
    -Pieces of Myself (1ss)

• Peacekeeper (11ss)
    -Tessellating Magnet (1ss)

• Guardian (8ss)
  • Hunter (7ss)
  • Hunter (7ss)
  • Watcher (4ss)

• 7ss pool

Basically, just a well-rounded list. Hunters and the Watcher to fetch points and harass models with harpoons, Guardian and Peacekeeper to deal with any big threats while acting as walls for Hoffman to hide behind, and Hoffman and Ryle to buff and patch up as needed.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

Manifest posted:

The PDFs released are pretty cool.
I'll be setting a group up as soon as we get a release date.

I don't understand why the PDF hasn't been released yet. Was the one released to the kickstarters a no-frills thing and they are still finalizing the book art/layout or is it something else? I've watched the character creation video so many times now, I just want to playyyyyy

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

The full pdf was released? Im just waiting because I prefer playing with a hard copy of rpg rules, but if you backed you should have got a link to getting the pdf, which has everything in it the full version will

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
Play a small encounter of Malifaux with a new player last night, and I probably should have used the proper rules for small skirmishes.

Having said that, holy crap Rasputina's ability to paralyze people is amazing, I felt bad freezing up Lady Justice. It reminded me why you need encounters to be a certain size, otherwise masters can be overly strong.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Also never be in base 2 base with anything in tina's crew

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

jodai posted:

I don't understand why the PDF hasn't been released yet. Was the one released to the kickstarters a no-frills thing and they are still finalizing the book art/layout or is it something else? I've watched the character creation video so many times now, I just want to playyyyyy

The PDF I have is a beta from November.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Stop rubbing it in, you jerks!

I shoulda backed the kickstarter but at the time I didn't have a group or even play Malifaux with people. I almost still backed it because it looked so cool. But I didn't and now I'm sad.

In other news, I'm trying out Sonnia's avatar just so I can take fire gamin and Iggy. I really can't wait to use those guys, especially since Iggy was the first Wyrd model I ever bought.

One more thing... I was watching my friend play and the guy he was playing flips a red joker on the attack and says "You can't cheat your defense." Then my friend says, jokingly, "Yeah, I can because I do what I want!"... Flips the red joker. I don't even think he won the game but he might as well have because that's all anyone was talking about. Stuff like that is why I love this game.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Bit of a contest being run over on the official forums. Update a Master's tactica to 2e and get entered into a draw for a wealth of prizes

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Blech, they're all claimed now.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Just work on henchmen or enforcers or something

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo

MisterShine posted:

Just work on henchmen or enforcers or something

Please please tell me fetid strumpet claimed some ressers or really any master for that matter.

I want to laugh. Laugh REAL hard.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Resser stuff was already completed for the most part. Quick look shows some other guys worked on Seamus

Sorry to spoil your fun

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

EVIR Gibson posted:

Please please tell me fetid strumpet claimed some ressers or really any master for that matter.

I want to laugh. Laugh REAL hard.

What is this about?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

dexefiend posted:

What is this about?

There were some people on the boards that kept saying new non-Ressers should be nerfed while Ressers are not ever close to the most powerful faction as it is now.

Seamus, McMourning, and Molly are the top of the masters out there but the naysayers always said they cannot win easily ever. If you play the master to their strengths, they're disgusting especially with the upgrade to lower Wp.

Any guide these people will write for Ressers will not truly capture the essence of these Masters. I think I would have to rewrite a few parts or a few strats that can help counter their, granted, large flaws. I do not play Ressers Masters, so I do not feel qualified to start a guide on them, but have had my rear end handed to me over and over to know enough what makes them strong. Even as a non-resser, I know how to break them and can help with those parts since I experienced over 10+ games what truly makes a McMourning shine (Sebastian is actually more critical to McMourning than anything else for example) and how to face them. I am just afraid the guides will make it seem masters are weak when they are actually not.

I can write a mean Dreamer and Lilith guide but the way I play them is not going to be "standard" (Baby Kade with Depression and saving a Crow to discard turns his knife into min damage 4 + slow all come with 7Ml)

I am glad the Resser guide has been written already.

Yeah, through the upgrades mentioned for the Resser masters they say Decaying Aura is just "very strong". That upgrade is completely broken and have gotten so abused there are people that have sworn off it around here because the games turn into one-sided affairs. Decaying Aura on a Seamus who can just appear behind your Master means your guy is going to die this turn or the next.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 17, 2014

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Baby Kade with Depression SHOULD be standard though. Kade is not worth 7 points. Kade with Depression is worth WAY more than the 8 he costs.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Any good Collette advice, or suggestions to expand a von Schill crew?

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Dropping Slate Ridge Maulers on people is both fun and effective for Colette. Even better if you start it as Myranda so you can claim to be performing "The Metamorphosis"

Give Von Schill Lazarus; Problems Grenaded.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Yeah, Lazarus is my next purchase after I get some of this plastic painted up. Are the Slate Ridge Maulers just really potent beatsticks, or is there some trick I'm missing?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Mostly just slow beat sticks yeah. If you have a reliable way to move them around (which Arcanists have a bunch) they're nice.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

They are minions, not enforcers. SO you can Colette them 18" to a scheme marker you had planted beside the whatever-you-want-to-die

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo
This is a good time to tell everyone that myself and JoshTheStampede run a bi-weekly (every two weeks, not twice a week) Malifaux podcast. The topic is though up minutes before we start recording except for large episodes like all about Strategies and Schemes.

It's one a site called GuessingZero (http://guessingzero.com/) and the podcast is called Desperate Mercs. The list of all shows on the network can be found on iTunes (I think?) but the RSS feed is on the page or here (http://guessingzero.com/feed/podcast/).

I "host" the show. I'm called Neverborn Matt around here because my first master was the Dreamer during the time the Dreamer was very over powered. I ramped it down and played Dreamer fairly, but if I went to a tournament I made sure to Chompy Slingshot because I was up against Collete and Kirai who completed their objectives turn 1 and it was the only way to deny them points. I mumble a lot and I apologize.

The other two hosts are Josh and Nick. Josh has been playing the game for, I think, as long as me but him and the others at his game store really love rules and seeing how far to push them which was much appreciated by the devs during the Alpha/Beta.

Nick is a new player who came in on 2E who, after learning the game quite well quite fast, understands why some things had to change from 1.5.

We have an email at desperatemercs(at)guessingzero.com so send us any questions you might have and we can try to answer them.

Check us out, and forgive the quality of the first few recordings.

Also at the main site, you might want to check out Aaron's articles since he has a lot to say about the game. He got me into the game three years ago and it's because of him I play for points while not really caring about the models after they've served their purpose. If you read the credits in the 2.0 Malifaux books, he actually gets design credits since he helped out Wyrd with reasons how "X" can be abused and how it can be balanced. He also helped design some of the masters in the 2nd wave.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Oh my god the first post on that website was already super helpful. I never really had a strategy for what cards to keep but keeping the high cards and understanding why to keep them(because a model who can defend is a model that can stay alive) means a lot. Building on to that, knowing how to play a list and knowing if suits or numbers are more important. It's something that I think every player does subconsciously but having it spelled out helps to understand the game better.

So thanks is what I'm trying to say, I guess.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I have really enjoyed your podcasts! Keep up the good work!

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

dexefiend posted:

I have really enjoyed your podcasts! Keep up the good work!

Thanks! Good to hear we aren't talking to an empty room.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
I went to a tournament today!

I didn't come in dead last! Yay.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

First world problems right here; ordered the old metal razorspine rattler, got the newer plastic one sent out to me.

I can't stand the newer plastic one :negative:

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

enri posted:

First world problems right here; ordered the old metal razorspine rattler, got the newer plastic one sent out to me.

I can't stand the newer plastic one :negative:

I'm probably the exception. I like plastic because it melts the pieces together and I won't get random missing arms.

The lack of heft is an issue though.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

EVIR Gibson posted:

I'm probably the exception. I like plastic because it melts the pieces together and I won't get random missing arms.

The lack of heft is an issue though.

Yea I don't normally mind plastic for exactly that reason, they're easier to assemble and all that.. but that one model.. eurgh.. I just hate the huge wide collar on it, looks daft, the metal looks much nicer :)

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Got my first few Malifaux games (Sonnia against Lynch) and I must say I love how the units all interact with each other in this game. Sending my flamey skeleton dude through terrain to light things on fire and the blowing them up with Sonnia/Samael was awesome. And while it was painfully slow early as we had to figure out what everything actually did, once you get some familiarity with your units things just seem to lock into place.

Me and my opponent were both new so probably screwed up a bunch of rules, but the little manual is really easy to navigate and it seems simple enough. Definitely keen to play some more and maybe pick up another 1 or 2 models. Though the plastic range seems a bit limited at the moment.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Nothing wrong with a lot of the older metal range though, grab yourself a Witchling Handler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enri
Dec 16, 2003

MisterShine posted:

Nothing wrong with a lot of the older metal range though, grab yourself a Witchling Handler

...and in some cases, better than the newer plastics :v: