Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Linedance posted:

All this fantasizing about rwd performance Lincolns is all well and good, but who's gonna buy one over audi/bmw/merc/caddy/(and maybe)infiniti? Meanwhile Lexus is sitting there with boring, reputedly rock solid comfy couches driven by whatever wheels, it hardly matters outside of marketing, and they make a killing doing it. Used car values reflect it, a used Lexus is going to be nearly double the price of the equivalent German. That's the end of the market Lincoln should aim for, not the sharp end where there is zero reason for consumers to look twice at your brand.
Eh, people make some strange decisions. I have no idea how VW sell Golf GTis, let alone Golf Rs over here - once you option leather on a GTi, you can get a BMW M135i for only £2k more. Better in every way, better image, a lot more power, and that power is sent to the correct wheels.

Who the hell goes looking for something with performance and a decent image, then buys a 220bhp FWD budget-brand over a 320bhp RWD premium brand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Eh, people make some strange decisions. I have no idea how VW sell Golf GTis, let alone Golf Rs over here - once you option leather on a GTi, you can get a BMW M135i for only £2k more. Better in every way, better image, a lot more power, and that power is sent to the correct wheels.

Who the hell goes looking for something with performance and a decent image, then buys a 220bhp FWD budget-brand over a 320bhp RWD premium brand?

VW is a special case, because VW buyers are... a special case...
That whole premium brand thing though, that's just pure marketing smoke and mirrors. Modern 3 series and C-class interiors are as cheap and plasticy as any non-german mainstream line (maybe GM aside). 1 series really aren't any more deluxe than a Golf or A-class, regardless of the driven wheels.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'm not sure I'd entirely agree on that, I felt the 1 series seemed slightly better in those terms than the Golf, but yes, really, it's a moot point, it's more the "I drive a..." factor than the reality of the quality, and BMW definitely has the edge there.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The current 1 series/X1 is the ugliest car I've ever seen, even by modern BMW standards. BMW's Chinese joint venture partner makes a knockoff version of it that I saw at the Beijing auto show and honestly the Chinese knockoff is better looking. Also the RWD drivetrain cuts down significantly on interior space and surely the GTI gets better fuel economy?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Throatwarbler posted:

Also the RWD drivetrain cuts down significantly on interior space and surely the GTI gets better fuel economy?

If all you want is fuel economy and space you may as well get the much cheaper and more economical base Golf with the little 1.4

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Throatwarbler posted:

The current 1 series/X1 is the ugliest car I've ever seen, even by modern BMW standards. BMW's Chinese joint venture partner makes a knockoff version of it that I saw at the Beijing auto show and honestly the Chinese knockoff is better looking. Also the RWD drivetrain cuts down significantly on interior space and surely the GTI gets better fuel economy?

The 1 series isn't entirely horrible but I honestly have no idea what the gently caress the X1 commands a premium for. It doesn't look sleek or stylish, doesn't really have much luxury to speak of and it's not like it's more economical than the competition. That badge costs some dollars I guess.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

dissss posted:

If all you want is fuel economy and space you may as well get the much cheaper and more economical base Golf with the little 1.4

Or someone could go fast and have performance AND economy and space. Hot hatches are a thing for a reason.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

InitialDave posted:

I bought my 2010 GTI in 2012 for $17k (deal of the century). It has a fantastic leather, almost Audi-like interior, i was able to fit a full dresser in it with the seats down/hatch closed, it has 265hp/300 torque with a tune, and it draws less attention than a BMW. What's not to like?

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Residency Evil posted:

I bought my 2010 GTI in 2012 for $17k (deal of the century). It has a fantastic leather, almost Audi-like interior, i was able to fit a full dresser in it with the seats down/hatch closed, it has 265hp/300 torque with a tune, and it draws less attention than a BMW. What's not to like?

How many miles on it? I'm starting to look at a new(er) car and I love the GTI but it's hard to justify buying one over either of the STs, especially when you start adding bullshit packages. I just want a bare bones GTI with a moonroof.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

travisray2004 posted:

How many miles on it? I'm starting to look at a new(er) car and I love the GTI but it's hard to justify buying one over either of the STs, especially when you start adding bullshit packages. I just want a bare bones GTI with a moonroof.

I bought it with 35k miles in June of 2012 and have 45k on it now. The GTI isn't the best at anything (except maybe the interior) but it's great at everything.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Residency Evil posted:

Not to mention driving a 1-series makes you look like a complete choad in ways you've got to push much harder for in a VAG product

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Snowdens Secret posted:

Not to mention driving a 1-series makes you look like a complete choad in ways you've got to push much harder for in a VAG product

If a 300hp/300ft lb RWD coupe with a 6-speed manual that can also get up to 30mpg is wrong then I don't want to be right.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Did the 1 series ever come to America? BMW's USA site only lists the 2 series currently. Makes it all kind of a moot point for a lot of people.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

pik_d posted:

Did the 1 series ever come to America? BMW's USA site only lists the 2 series currently. Makes it all kind of a moot point for a lot of people.

It only came as a coupe.

I love how "but mah baaaaaaaaadge" has now turned into "but your baaaaaaaaadge"

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Guinness posted:

If a 300hp/300ft lb RWD coupe with a 6-speed manual that can also get up to 30mpg is wrong then I don't want to be right.

So get a V6 Mustang.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Residency Evil posted:

and it draws less attention than a BMW.

Assuming we're still talking about luxury sedans/coupes here, this is a small percentage of why people buy BMWs or Lexuses or Audis. People will pay a premium for the attention those higher-priced brands bring.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Powershift posted:

It only came as a coupe.

I love how "but mah baaaaaaaaadge" has now turned into "but your baaaaaaaaadge"

That's what I figured, too bad really.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Devyl posted:

Assuming we're still talking about luxury sedans/coupes here, this is a small percentage of why people buy BMWs or Lexuses or Audis. People will pay a premium for the attention those higher-priced brands bring.

That doesn't make it any less gauche.

I don't need any extra attention at work/out.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 8, 2014

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

pik_d posted:

That's what I figured, too bad really.

There have been 2 generations of 1 series. The previous gen came as a coupe or vert in North America and additionally as a hatch in the rest of the world. The current generation 1 series which I think is not very good looking only comes as a hatch in the rest if the world and not at all in North America. Strangely, BMW kept the previous generation 1 series coupe and vert in production for the North American market until *this year* only while the rest of the world has moved to the current gen hatch in 2011. Meaning that in 20014 you could still buy a car that had been essentially unchanged since 2006.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 8, 2014

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

That doesn't make it any less gauche.

I don't need any extra attention at work/out.

It's ok, dude. You can chill out. Nobody is judging you because you can't afford a proper car. We're all friends here.

Some people just don't like the pussy shrapnel caused by F or ///M badges, and that's ok with us.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
You made me do it, bike thread.

Also, set a few PRs today on the CAAD10. Did 35 miles in 101F Palm Springs hell. I guess I'm back in the zone.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

eyebeem posted:

You made me do it, bike thread.

Also, set a few PRs today on the CAAD10. Did 35 miles in 101F Palm Springs hell. I guess I'm back in the zone.

That's not gone well.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Powershift posted:

That's not gone well.

Oh sweet jesus. That's what I get for post-ride posting. I swear I'm just a normal car-guy like the rest of you. I swear.

I'm leaving that post up to remind myself of... of something.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Powershift posted:

It's ok, dude. You can chill out. Nobody is judging you because you can't afford a proper car. We're all friends here.

Some people just don't like the pussy shrapnel caused by F or ///M badges, and that's ok with us.

You get pussy shrapnel from driving a Lexus now? Maybe I really do need to add those IS's to my cross-shop list.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Cocoa Crispies posted:

So get a V6 Mustang.

Perfomance per dollar aside, some of us just plain like the look and feel of a BMW over a V6 mustang and can justify the cost difference because of preference.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Residency Evil posted:

It's FWD, which is a pretty drat big issue, and the BM still has 20% more power.

Also, the M135i blends in quite well on this side of the Atlantic, because there are a lot of base versions like the 116d floating around. It doesn't stand out any more than the Golf, really.

Amphion
Jun 10, 2012

All we know is... he's called The Stig.

Powershift posted:

I think he's a surgeon just out of med school so I'm sure we'll be seeing his Aventador in the Post Your Ride thread in a few years.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Wheeee posted:

Fair enough, the new Fit and Civic are probably the best examples of Honda's decline.

I get the Civic hate (I think it's misguided, but I get it), but how in the hell is the new Fit an example of Honda's decline? It is hands down the best car in its class by any measure or metric.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

KakerMix posted:

Or someone could go fast and have performance AND economy and space. Hot hatches are a thing for a reason.

I guess it depends on relative pricing - in my market the GTI is extremely overpriced (virtually double the price of a normal Golf)

PeterWeller posted:

I get the Civic hate (I think it's misguided, but I get it), but how in the hell is the new Fit an example of Honda's decline? It is hands down the best car in its class by any measure or metric.

How do you figure that? It definitely has the most interior space, but that is about it.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

InitialDave posted:

It's FWD, which is a pretty drat big issue, and the BM still has 20% more power.

Also, the M135i blends in quite well on this side of the Atlantic, because there are a lot of base versions like the 116d floating around. It doesn't stand out any more than the Golf, really.

OTOH, the price gap is quite a bit bigger in some countries, making the 135 a lot less competitive. The BMW is almost £8k more expensive here, and that's before you start loading up on extras (some of which are just silly expensive because BMW). The Golf R is even £400 cheaper than a base 135 here.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'm surprised to hear that, normally it's the UK that gets a kicking on price increases for premium versions (as in manufacturer's pricing, not the taxation that buggers things up in so many places).

The Golf R is £1k cheaper than an M135i here, but it comes with cloth rather than leather inside, and holy poo poo do VW gouge you on the leather. £1700!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Snowdens Secret posted:

You get pussy shrapnel from driving a Lexus now? Maybe I really do need to add those IS's to my cross-shop list.

The original pussy shrapnel dude was bragging about his IS-F at the time. It's from 2012 and i don't have have archives so i can't dig it up though.

I'm really just taking the piss out of Residency Evil because he has to work so hard to convince himself he doesn't really want a BMW.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Powershift posted:

The original pussy shrapnel dude was bragging about his IS-F at the time. It's from 2012 and i don't have have archives so i can't dig it up though.

I'm really just taking the piss out of Residency Evil because he has to work so hard to convince himself he doesn't really want a BMW.

It's not like I didn't look at the 1-series when I was buying my car, but I found a fantastic price on the GTI and from a practical standpoint the hatchback is loads better than a comparable 1-series. The Ultimate Driving Experience doesn't mean much when you're commuting to and from work in traffic.

Besides, Automotive Insanity › This is a BMW Thread. The 3 Series is only for poors who can't afford a REAL BMW.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 8, 2014

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That thread title only exists because i was taking the piss out of hotcanadianchick, don't use it against me.

You used words like "gauche" and "attention" in a badge-whoring manner. Badge whoring to put down a brand is worse than badge whoring to put it on a pedestal. It comes across more as jealously and in this case frugality rather than a choice based on how much junk fits in the trunk.

Like people who wear a tag heuer and bitch about tryhards in their rolexes, and poors in their casios.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Residency Evil posted:

It's not like I didn't look at the 1-series when I was buying my car, but I found a fantastic price on the GTI and from a practical standpoint the hatchback is loads better than a comparable 1-series. Driving excitement doesn't mean much when you're commuting to and from work in traffic.
I don't think we're talking about the same cars then. I should have realised.

You were thinking of the 1-series 2-door, which is now replaced by the 2-series, and I agree, it wasn't going to win any beauty contests. I am talking about the 1-series 3-door, which I didn't realise until now wasn't available in the US. Still not the prettiest car, but they look much better in the metal than in pictures. Point is, it really is directly comparable to other high-end hot hatches, because that's what it is. A (relatively) small hatch with a nice big engine in it.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

InitialDave posted:

I don't think we're talking about the same cars then. I should have realised.

You were thinking of the 1-series 2-door, which is now replaced by the 2-series, and I agree, it wasn't going to win any beauty contests. I am talking about the 1-series 3-door, which I didn't realise until now wasn't available in the US. Still not the prettiest car, but they look much better in the metal than in pictures. Point is, it really is directly comparable to other high-end hot hatches, because that's what it is. A (relatively) small hatch with a nice big engine in it.

Yeah, unfortunately we don't get the hatchback 1-series here in the US.

Powershift posted:

That thread title only exists because i was taking the piss out of hotcanadianchick, don't use it against me.

You used words like "gauche" and "attention" in a badge-whoring manner. Badge whoring to put down a brand is worse than badge whoring to put it on a pedestal. It comes across more as jealously and in this case frugality rather than a choice based on how much junk fits in the trunk.

Like people who wear a tag heuer and bitch about tryhards in their rolexes, and poors in their casios.

I thought I was just getting a good deal by buying a car worth $20k for 17k a few years back, but I guess you've caught how jealous I am and next time I'll pick up a used 1/3-series instead? :shrug:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah, unfortunately we don't get the hatchback 1-series here in the US.

I thought I was just getting a good deal by buying a car worth $20k for 17k a few years back, but I guess you've caught how jealous I am and next time I'll pick up a used 1/3-series instead? :shrug:

The 3 series really is for poors though. You'd be best off with a 5 series touring, or at the very least a 4 series gran coupe.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Powershift posted:

The 3 series really is for poors though. You'd be best off with a 5 series touring, or at the very least a 4 series gran coupe.

I'm just hoping I can hold off on knocking someone up for the next few years and get something far less practical 3 years from now.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The current attitude of elitism being expressed here with regard to BMWs is very disappointing. I expect better from people.

Everyone who goes to a BMW dealer should be asked if they have owned an E30, if they really liked it, and if they would honestly prefer BMW to still make them. Lifetime ban unless you can answer "yes" to all three questions. X1, X3 and X5 production should be scaled back to the point where only enough are built so that every dealership can have one of each, as bait for people who may be interested in buying one. If they express such interest, you shoot them.

Also, nothing available that isn't RWD only and with a straight six (unless you specifically ask for an S14, at which point they press a button under the sales desk which causes balloons and streamers to fall from the ceiling, and you are crowned king/queen of the dealership for the day), and the entire Mini division shut down permanently.

There we go, that's how you do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

dissss posted:

How do you figure that? It definitely has the most interior space, but that is about it.

Nah, the new Fit is near to or best in class in every single measurable metric, and despite being a little softer than the last one, is still considered one of the best driver's cars in the class.