Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MondayHotDog posted:

Wooooooooo! I just found a copy of my all time favorite record on Discogs, the Arrogant Sons of Bitches' Three Cheers For Disappointment. Only 450 copies were ever pressed, I got the pink version which is one of 150. Just so happened to show up in my email alert on the first day I've actually had spending money in a long time. Please, take my $50, it's yours. One of my two white whales, the other being a 7" that was only given out as a wedding favor.
oh man I love Three Cheers, so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

bowmore posted:

oh man I love Three Cheers, so good.

I also bought a 1965 UK pressing of Bob Dylan's "Like A Rolling Stone", and got a shipping notice for the Antarctigo Vespucci LP. Today is a very good vinyl day.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MondayHotDog posted:

I also bought a 1965 UK pressing of Bob Dylan's "Like A Rolling Stone", and got a shipping notice for the Antarctigo Vespucci LP. Today is a very good vinyl day.
hey I haven't got a shipping notice for Antarctigo yet :< maybe tomorrow

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Year of the Dragon and Glass Boys came in at the same time :toot:

34 bucks for both, not a bad deal at all.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

strap on revenge posted:

I finally moved off my piece of poo poo first turntable with vibrating tonearm :c00lbert: and got this the other day:

It was having some speed issues but it seems to be all good now after some thorough cleaning. Sounds so much better, but I'll probably upgrade the cartridge when I've got some more money in the bank too

e: also a high priority: new furniture

Whut up!

This one is my folks' old table it needs a new stylus and possibly the audio out looked at, been sitting in a closet till I get around to messing with it.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Cyberball 2072 posted:

Whut up!

This one is my folks' old table it needs a new stylus and possibly the audio out looked at, been sitting in a closet till I get around to messing with it.

Nice :c00lbert: Mine's missing the cueing lever so if you decide you don't need a cueing lever for some reason hit me up

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
anybody else feel like an rear end in a top hat paying more than 15-20 bucks for a record

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

Chill Callahan posted:

anybody else feel like an rear end in a top hat paying more than 15-20 bucks for a record

With the price of some releases it is not I who I feel is the rear end in a top hat.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Above $18 or so is when I start feeling like a sucker.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Chill Callahan posted:

not when you live in Australia

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Chill Callahan posted:

If I'm paying it like, at a show, or to the label, not as much. But when I'm buying the 808s & Heartbreak release for like $40 on Amazon, yeah gently caress me.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.

Chill Callahan posted:

It very much depends. Last year, I dropped $100 on a record, but it considering it was worth far more than that, it was the seller that I kinda thought was the sucker. (It was an EX/EX OG mono copy of the Thirteenth Floor Elevators' debut.)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I think the most I've ever spent on a record was 35 bucks, and that was for one I really, really wanted.

I think I can count the times I've gone over $20 on one hand: Profondo Rosso soundtrack, Zombi 2 soundtrack, The Seer, and two Cave-In records.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Most I've spent in a non boxed set is about $54 for Mojave 3's Excuses for Travellers. Don't see it for sale often, and I sadly justified it by thinking "oh, that's basically just like buying two records. That's not that bad." It's an favorite of mine, so not much buyers remorse.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Yeah, I spent 50 bucks on a mono copy of "Bookends" by Simon and Garfunkel because that poo poo is rare and I'm never going to see it again. And the mono version of "Save the Life of My Child" kicks the stereo's rear end.

And then there's Fakin' It, in which the stereo was so bad that their 1999 Best Of compilation used the mono mix instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ft7mUK29GY8 - Mono
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLjHt5tkRFo - Stereo

Listen to those drums in stereo. It's horrifying what they did to the intro.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Chill Callahan posted:

If you really want what ever the record is then it's no one's business what you paid.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

The store I went to yesterday was selling used Australian represses of Abbey Road and Let It Be for $60. I bought a used copy of one of the recent Pink Moon by Nick Drake reissues for $35 thinking that was reasonable but the sticker talking about the condition failed to mention the horrendous warp that makes the first 30 seconds of each side unplayable.

I guess the moral of the story is gently caress buying records in Australia. I'm pretty much done

e: I contacted them and they've given me the full $35 value as store credit :shobon: Pleased with that, pity it's such a bitch to get to

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 8, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CPL593H posted:

If you really want what ever the record is then it's no one's business what you paid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsBysD68Sgs&t=14s

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 8, 2014

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I only buy records priced $500 and up.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I will throw down around 400 bucks for the complete Analord collection with binder at some point.

Because it is worth that much to me.

This is my story.

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

The record I want more than anything is a Bathory s/t (yellowgoat OG press obviously). I don't know if I'll ever step up to the plate and commit but I think I could justify a few hundred on it.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I want one of these

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Nine times out of ten when I go to Discogs to look into a band I'm just getting into, I see most of their older records selling for $50-$100. Here's the latest example: http://www.discogs.com/Suffocation-Effigy-Of-The-Forgotten/release/1452629

So when people say they never pay more than $20, I feel like I'm doing something wrong.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

caiman posted:

Nine times out of ten when I go to Discogs to look into a band I'm just getting into, I see most of their older records selling for $50-$100. Here's the latest example: http://www.discogs.com/Suffocation-Effigy-Of-The-Forgotten/release/1452629

So when people say they never pay more than $20, I feel like I'm doing something wrong.

Yeah Suffocation rules but good loving luck with getting any of their old stuff on wax for a non-insane price. I don't even think Pierced from Within has had a legit vinyl release and that is their best album by far.

dalaamprince
Jul 16, 2008

caiman posted:

Records less than $20: Very lucky thrift store/garage sale finds, critically panned dad rock, unplayable scratched to poo poo records, Alpert and Streisand.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Reissued public domain/no one gives a poo poo blues records.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
actually it's very easy to get records under 20 dollars check out bandcamp and lots of bands would be glad to sell you their lp for less than that :-)

here's a good one to consider https://theseestates.bandcamp.com thanks for supporting self-released records and independent artists :-)

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time
Last week in Montreal I spent about $30 in taxes in one go at a local Montreal record store. It was the only place I ended up picking any records up and I was hung over but the guy working was at the same festival. He helped me pick out about a dozen releases and made the experience of buying them super easy and quick. Next time I'm going to try to only speak in french. Merci beaucoup Atom Heart, c'est toujours un plaisir!

plowhound
Oct 12, 2012
So, I got this junk for free this weekend. Its a weird blue elvis record and a promo of something called a sugar magnolia.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

plowhound posted:

So, I got this junk for free this weekend. Its a weird blue elvis record and a promo of something called a sugar magnolia.

I heard those Elvis records can go for sale on ebay for 100 bucks :downs:

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Personperson14 posted:

I heard those Elvis records can go for sale on ebay for 100 bucks :downs:

If you're looking for trouble

You came to the right place.

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

Temporary Residence is selling mildly dented copies of the 5xLP boxset of William Basinski's The Disintegration Loops for $125 right now: http://shop.temporaryresidence.com/trr194

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Just bought a new table, and get paid on Friday so I can now get my records from the UK shipped over. All 15 of them. It's gonna be a fun rest of the month.

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

Finally got around to opening some mail that came last week...

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The listening party where the Jurassic Park soundtrack (both versions) is tonight at the Mondo gallery, if anyone else in Austin is a consumer whore and needs the amber edition.

Edit: aka "aw fiddlesticks" T Rex edition.
Edit2: just opened my copy of Halloween, which was the reason I remembered to check the mondo blog for the JP release party, and discovered I got the randomly inserted orange vinyl. Please discuss colored vinyl, soundtracks, and Mondo. Thanks.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 9, 2014

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dogen posted:

The listening party where the Jurassic Park soundtrack (both versions) is tonight at the Mondo gallery, if anyone else in Austin is a consumer whore and needs the amber edition.

Edit: aka "aw fiddlesticks" T Rex edition.
Edit2: just opened my copy of Halloween, which was the reason I remembered to check the mondo blog for the JP release party, and discovered I got the randomly inserted orange vinyl. Please discuss colored vinyl, soundtracks, and Mondo. Thanks.

When are they actually selling the Jurassic Park OST on the website? Also I just discovered that they have the OST from the Visitor, which is way cooler.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I think it says "at a random time" on the 11th. It also implies they won't be in stores, which seems stupid to me, but I live pretty close to the gallery so it's not a huge inconvenience.

There's still like a billion copies of Coraline (less of Paranorman) on the shelves at Waterloo, surely they would press more JP soundtracks as you would think the demand would be higher.

beer pal
Mar 30, 2010

kirkjames posted:

Finally got around to opening some mail that came last week...

ooh is that nasa space universe i love them

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Trip report re: Amoeba Records in the new NYC Urban Outfitters - don't bother. The selections were housed in one shelving unit and everything was re-sealed, so checking out the condition of the records wasn't possible. Anything Beatles, Rolling Stones, or Pink Floyd was at least $20, even if the jackets were badly creased. Other albums were priced between $20 and $40.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

interpunct posted:

Trip report re: Amoeba Records in the new NYC Urban Outfitters - don't bother. The selections were housed in one shelving unit and everything was re-sealed, so checking out the condition of the records wasn't possible. Anything Beatles, Rolling Stones, or Pink Floyd was at least $20, even if the jackets were badly creased. Other albums were priced between $20 and $40.

shocking