Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

Woh woh woh! This is not the time to pull back. If you are gonna go creep you need to go full blown creeper. Tell us about your plans to covert anime up skirt girl statues into walkers.

Seriously whatever yer ok in my book.

Yeah, those minis aren't particularly heinous. I don't really understand the need to go out of your way acquiring female authority figures for your miniatures war game, and I feel like it probably implies some kind of underlying psychological thing, but who are we to judge? I like to paint my orks with luscious pearlescent colors because GIVE ME ATTENTION, I AM A SNOWFLAKE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I got models from doctor thunder once. It still haunts me to this day

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I've always worked harder for my female bosses. Subconsciously I must of felt like I was going to get some if just do a good enough job. Perhaps that's the way IG would work with female commissars.

GET SOME!!!!!!!!!

We need a full blown nazi army to distract us from this heinous crime of adding some other chromosome mixes to our armies.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Ignite Memories posted:

Yeah, those minis aren't particularly heinous. I don't really understand the need to go out of your way acquiring female authority figures for your miniatures war game, and I feel like it probably implies some kind of underlying psychological thing, but who are we to judge? I like to paint my orks with luscious pearlescent colors because GIVE ME ATTENTION, I AM A SNOWFLAKE

I think it's more of a unique thing like you mentioned.

My guardians are 20% female, though they aren't being raped.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

LingcodKilla posted:

I've always worked harder for my female bosses. Subconsciously I must of felt like I was going to get some if just do a good enough job. Perhaps that's the way IG would work with female commissars.

GET SOME!!!!!!!!!
My anime and cadmium armies are both 50% women. Guess what: you can't tell under layers of armor and helmets.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:

Squifferific posted:

I think there's a difference between "Hey, which female models can I get that actually look like real people?" and "Check out how awesome I am at painting 28mm scale nipples and vaginas."

He did make a big deal about getting models that look like real people, yes. That was good, and made his focus on female models at least come across as a social justice equality thing. Because, as BWS said above, anybody who makes a big deal about obtaining female models is usually ends up being big creep. He got feedback from goons, links to Victoria Lamb stuff, and recommendations on how to resculpt some of the chaff that's out there to make it less exploitative.

Then he showed us one of his purchases:

I have doubts as to how much fixing up he can do with this model. While it's not "nipples and vag" bad, and is actually pretty tame in terms of the kind of poo poo that's been around in female miniatures, it's a massive departure from what he was saying he was trying to achieve. When he's already been posting about a borderline creepy thing and trying to look good while doing it, that loses him all of his good-faith points. It's not Doc Thunder or rape diorama poo poo, but it is now "Look at my female-led army! Isn't she sexy?" bad.

Cooked Auto posted:

Welp, guess I shot myself in the foot there I guess. v:v:v Not much else I can say about that without making it sound worse really so I'm just gonna leave it that.
All I really wanted was to have a decent mixed gender non-cheesecake regiment pretty much but I guess I got too insistent about it.

I do apologize if I'm misjudging your intent. Your stated goal is fine, but does put you into weird company as pretty much everyone I've seen who care about adding female minis to their army gives off a weird vibe. The commissar model, even though she's giving off a mild dominatrix kind of feel, could be overlooked if fixed up. But that other model is a far cry from the "tasteful hint of female presence" that you professed. And as your centerpiece HQ model, you've chosen to have your army led by a sex-kitten. If that's what you want, fine; they're your models. But your search for female guard models has now been cast into a different light because of it.

e: That said, I've called you out on it, and I'm not trying to turn this into helldump or anything. I did feel it worth making a point over. I think that I've done that clearly now, and I'll leave the calling you out personally at that.

Tadhg fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 8, 2014

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
I'm still of the opinion that female models just need a head swap. Unless you're a Battle Sister you're not going to wear a low-cut shirt and high heels into battle. While still silly, at least Adepta Sororitas armor is ceramite plating and not cloth.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 8, 2014

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

AndyElusive posted:

:newlol: I look forward to your SA Mart posting on Monday.

Yea exactly, I could use a bunch of stuff on there. Mostly Fantasy, but still.

Thing about female models, unless you actually go out of your way to show they're female, they'll probably blend in. Look at real world fully kitted out for combat women, other than their hight and the way they stand, they look exactly the same. Body armor doesn't come with boobs for female soldiers. Though makers of female models always add them.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 8, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The thing that I always find funny about female models is that in Relative size every single one has like double Ds. Like the sisters of battle their boobs are the same size as their head. They don't have correct proportions at all.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

twistedmentat posted:

Look at real world fully kitted out for combat women, other than their hight and the way they stand, they look exactly the same. Body armor doesn't come with boobs for female soldiers. Though makers of female models always add them.

A part of that is intentional. Even non-combat uniforms, despite having a different look, aren't exactly made to emphasize the female form.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
I would like a female inquisitor model but that's entirely because one of the inquisitors in the dark heresy game I ran a couple years ago was female and I think it'd be cool to bring her back. She's supposed to be hundreds of years old though and I've always portrayed her as looking like she's in her late 50s/early 60s. Those Witch Hunter female inquisitors are okay but I don't really like the poses or wargear, the hair doesn't suit the character, and there's still a boobplate problem.

Actually I need a dude inquisitor too and they're both supposed to be in human-sized power armor so they could ostensibly be two dude models from the same svelte power armor range, provided that one of the dudes had a lady head

PierreTheMime posted:

I'm still of the opinion that female models just need a head swap. Unless you're a Battle Sister you're not going to wear a low-cut shirt and high heels into battle. While still silly, at least Adepta Sororitas armor is ceramite plating and not cloth.

I just don't want Astartes-sized power armor for my unaugmented humans.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Did a couple more Dire Avengers:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Boon posted:

Did a couple more Dire Avengers:

Great job! Those are really sharp.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Half of my gaming group are women, one of whom is my significant other. And when we have game nights, the other female friends of our group (girlfriends/wives of players, or just nongaming friends) often hang out with us and socialize around the games going on, even if they're not participating. We pretty much play primarily at my home, or sometimes at the homes of somebody in our group. We've tried gaming at the numerous FLGSs in my area, but we only do that rarely these days. Why?

Because the entire gaming milieu has a longstanding tradition of objectifying, exploiting, and generally being creepy towards women. Wargames, Magic the Gathering, D&D and other tabletop gaming; almost all of it is or has been misogynistic in some way or another. And that's just the material content-- the players themselves are even worse. It's been getting better in the past decade or so, but gaming as a whole still has a long way to go in remedying its very firmly entrenched misogyny.

We know that GW doesn't have many female models, and those that it does have are sometimes pretty bad. Even the females in the standard lines of Wood Elf, Dark Eldar, Sisters of Battle, etc. have exaggerated sexual characteristics that perpetuate the exploitative images of fantasy women. We all still choose to play warhams (and D&D, et al.) because it's a fun hobby, but our eyes are open to the bad aspects of it. We do our best to minimize the terrible parts of the hobby so that we can enjoy the good. One player has a Sisters of Battle army-- she enjoys the idea of them, but criticizes the tit armor when it comes up; she uses them because they don't come any other way. The Elf players all have (standard) female models in their armies, and we know that the female Wardancers are scantily clad stripper elves; they aren't easily replaceable, and the WE players (myself included) don't go out of our way to emphasize the sexual aspects of those models. We play our games with the admittedly imperfect model lines on offer, acknowledge the problems and try to de-emphasize them after addressing them, and then get on with socializing with our hobby. In doing so we're creating a welcoming environment around what is traditionally a male-dominated hobby, and our group is healthy for it. We have a pretty even ratio of M:F players, and the women in our group feel that they're in a safe place where they can enjoy and participate the hobby in the same way as the men.

When we leave the house and go to gaming store, though? Forget about it. :vomarine: One FLGS carries some pretty terrible third party R and X rated minis (entirely female oriented) in addition to the assorted standard lines; that's a clear choice made by the owner, and it sells pretty well at that. There is one specific local guy with the stereotypical dildos and rape themed Slaanesh army. There's another guy with a High Elf army that has been converted to be entirely female models with greenstuff boobs, and he has a really creepy vibe when talking about his cherished Everqueen. There's a D&D/Pathfinder guy who's infamous for only playing female characters, and every so often will seek out a commission job on a sexy mini to represent his newest character. And then there are the standard neckbeardy and smelly gamers who have the standard terrible views on women that we've all come to expect from the trolls who's entire lives are spent at the gaming store. The women in our group have never had a positive gaming experience at the FLGSs because there is ALWAYS some creeper who will be odious enough to not just be a bad memory, but end up ruining the trip. And even shopping at the stores are crapshoot. The workers at our preferred FLGS are cool and treat our female friends like ordinary people, and because of that they get our ongoing business. The other gaming stores have had some pretty vile workers (and one creepy owner) that make the shopping experience there universally unpleasant, and sometimes downright insulting. But at any store in our area, one patron during the trip will invariably do their best to either:
1) attempt to awkwardly show off and impress the females in our group,
2) insult and belittle them, letting them know that they're not welcome.
There's very little middle ground, and either situation makes even shopping for minis or other gaming materials an uncomfortable experience for them. They'll rarely go to the store by themselves because of that. Intead, they wait until we go as a big group right before a gaming session, or else they give cash to a male in the group who's going to be stopping by and have him shop in proxy.

It sucks that when half my friends go to the gaming store they have to either put up with extra crap in the hobby, or turn every trip into an exercise in fighting back and/or (ususally unsuccessfully) educating misogynistic gaming trolls in why what they're doing is uncool.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Tadhg posted:

I do apologize if I'm misjudging your intent. Your stated goal is fine, but does put you into weird company as pretty much everyone I've seen who care about adding female minis to their army gives off a weird vibe. The commissar model, even though she's giving off a mild dominatrix kind of feel, could be overlooked if fixed up. But that other model is a far cry from the "tasteful hint of female presence" that you professed. And as your centerpiece HQ model, you've chosen to have your army led by a sex-kitten. If that's what you want, fine; they're your models. But your search for female guard models has now been cast into a different light because of it.

It's understandable really, I hosed up completely honestly. I still have my qualms about the Inquisitor as the thing as I'm not the biggest fan of steampunk notion that it oozes but at the same it does fit the look of some female inquisitors I've seen in the DH books so someday if I ever decide to toss in Inquisitor allies into my list I might.
And to explain myself fully and properly and hopefully not make the thing worse the whole female commander thing came up as an idea in my head because I gave the army the name 'Revvie's Raiders' when I built my first proper list based on an old character name I used once and just thought it'd be a fun thing to do to make it stand out somewhat.

In the end I'll probably never use any of them since I've found my interest in playing deflating rapidly due to various factors. Most of them related to me being an absolutely terrible player and a terrible loser too and I'm too considerate to subject the people I play with to that constantly.
And I'm atrocious at remembering numbers and rules which detracts as well.

There, I've said what I can about this whole stupid mistake and I really have nothing more to add.

PierreTheMime posted:

Yeah I'll probably do that from here on after, the Victoria Lamb heads should be out pretty soon and they're not terribly pricey and I think I've seen at least other decent alternatives somewhere.

One thing I discovered when I got the new Wood Elf rangers was that the regiment is split 50/50 in genders and you can barely spot the difference. Which I thought was nice.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 8, 2014

NovaLion
Jun 2, 2013

REMEMBER

Two Feet From Bread posted:

:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

Inventory is complete!!!

Linkity link!

After I removed what I wanted to keep, I have was left with $9,724.20* MSRP worth of product.

I will be selling it all for 50% off MSRP for a total of $4,862.10*.
Are there any takers for the bulk lot?

If there are no takers on the full lot then I will post the SA Mart thread on Monday at 5PM Central Standard Time

*MSRP reflects last known prices of discontinued items and Finecast prices of metal items.

I guess I'll wait until Monday to try and get all that DEldar stuff.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

NovaLion posted:

I guess I'll wait until Monday to try and get all that DEldar stuff.

I'd make the thread today but I have too much stuff to do right now and then I have work all Monday Day so I won't be able to monitor the requests. It's the only way I can devote actual time to this and give people answers ASAP instead of making them wait hours later.

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

I'd make the thread today but I have too much stuff to do right now and then I have work all Monday Day so I won't be able to monitor the requests. It's the only way I can devote actual time to this and give people answers ASAP instead of making them wait hours later.

Can you ship internationally?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Are you taking a 5k loss on that stuff or am I reading you wrong?

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

starkebn posted:

You are reading it wrong.

Squifferific posted:

Can you ship internationally?
I can, to a limited extent, but it will affect shipping.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

starkebn posted:

You're reading him wrong, he hasn't said (to my knowledge) how much he paid for it all, just that it is 10k worth.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Lungboy posted:

You're reading him wrong, he hasn't said (to my knowledge) how much he paid for it all, just that it is 10k worth.

That makes more sense

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Any reports of FedEx trucks gone missing?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Really good post Tadhg. I'm gonna save it and read it when necessary. I think the only reason board game nights at LGSs have women in them is because there aren't magic or warhams events concurrently running. Then you don't have to feel embarrassed for your hobby when doc thunder shows up.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Doc Thunder stuff is bad, but it's not Wet Nurse levels of bad.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Lungboy posted:

Doc Thunder stuff is bad, but it's not Wet Nurse levels of bad.

Not familiar with the Wet Nurse. Not sure I want to be.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Boon posted:

Not familiar with the Wet Nurse. Not sure I want to be.

:siren: NSFW :siren:

It's legitimately :stonk:.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Okay, so by your own admission you have some players in your group that use some of the clearly misogyny-intended models because that's how they come, and yet the person/group can accept that's how the models are and no one gets creepy about it. How is it any different if Cooked Auto decides to use a model that fits the established aesthetics as long as he's cool about it and doesn't get all creepy?

I get where you're coming from, and being someone who recently had a slip of the fingers and posted a colloquialism that I really wish I hadn't, I'm right there with you on most of this; however Cooked Auto hasn't ever given me the miniature wargaming creeper vibe in the 6 months or so that I've been frequenting these threads.

Couldn't we just acknowledge that there's a misogynistic thread throughout the gaming circles and agree to perpetuate it as little as possible, even when it means that we buy a miniature that is unfortunately modeled but entirely consistent with the lore as written?

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

koreban posted:

Okay, so by your own admission you have some players in your group that use some of the clearly misogyny-intended models because that's how they come, and yet the person/group can accept that's how the models are and no one gets creepy about it. How is it any different if Cooked Auto decides to use a model that fits the established aesthetics as long as he's cool about it and doesn't get all creepy?

This:

And this:

While not perfect, are not nearly as blatantly sexualized as this:

Dark Elves and Dark Eldar probably have worse examples, but we give that player a lot more poo poo for his sexy drow models than the other players.

Also, putting an intentionally sexy female third party model in the place of a non-sexualized model seems like a different beast entirely. Doubly so after a long discussion about how to avoid models exactly like the one he picked.

Razor Jacksuit
Mar 31, 2007

VEES RULE #1

Inventory is complete!!!

Linkity link!

After I removed what I wanted to keep, I have was left with $9,724.20* MSRP worth of product.

I will be selling it all for 50% off MSRP for a total of $4,862.10*.
Are there any takers for the bulk lot?

If there are no takers on the full lot then I will post the SA Mart thread on Monday at 5PM Central Standard Time

*MSRP reflects last known prices of discontinued items and Finecast prices of metal items.

Is the Tyranid stuff metal or Finecast?

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

Razor Jacksuit posted:

Is the Tyranid stuff metal or Finecast?

All three.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Finally got around to putting together the Land Speeder from a Ravenwing pack I bought some time ago and JESUS gently caress this old Land Speeder sprue. Had to mummify the fucker in rubber bands to make the top part fit halfway right while the glue set. Least I had a spare heavy flamer to make a MM/HF speeder..

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Ugh, I'm going to be in the middle of house buying nonsense and there's no way I'll get any of the good stuff :( There's a lot of good stuff.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

Post 9-11 User posted:

Nay. Eldar, Space Marines, (including bucket o' Terminators) Imperial Guard stuff, Chaos Marines, Daemons, Dark Eldar, Dark Vengeance set, uh ... more than I forget.

Sorry to hear that you're getting of the hobby. :(

That being said, do you have an inventory? I'd probably be interested in buying SM/IG stuff off of you.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Tadhg posted:

While not perfect, are not nearly as blatantly sexualized as this:

You know, given the breadth of models featuring female forms at 28mm scale, a little clevage and a smirk probably doesn't meet the standard for the level of hazing you're going with.

I'm starting to get uncomfortable with how close my points are getting to being possibly misconstrued as being an apologist for the sort of status quo objectification side of gaming culture, so if it's all the same, can we just agree that you're completely right in comparing the examples you provided against the model he showed?

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

TsarZiedonis posted:

Sorry to hear that you're getting of the hobby. :(

That being said, do you have an inventory? I'd probably be interested in buying SM/IG stuff off of you.

I would be more than happy to take some of that Dark Eldar stuff of of your hands.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
She's wearing battle lingerie.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I retconned my tau's background to be sobs who have seen the light of Allah/greater good. They have battle hardened lingerie future armor and helmets. Check out their t&a high heeled action

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

TheChirurgeon posted:

Great job! Those are really sharp.

Thanks man. Doing these guys makes me really want to pick up the Asurmen model, if for nothing but the completeness of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
I'm gunning for those Vanguard Veterans.

• Locked thread