Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I'm up for it. Just let me know where to meet up at and I'm all for it.I only start whining when it gets over 700 miles in one day. Just haven't trained up or gotten to the point I need to do more than that at one shot yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

How does the Valero at the corner of Eldorado Pkwy and Medical Center Dr. sound? Just off 75 and has a shopping center next to it. Unless the guy who lives out in Mckinney has a better recommendation. I can never remember what roads are under construction out there but I think that should be fine to get to.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Looks good to me.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I can be there... Gas and Go by 8am then?

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Seems as good a place as any to me. The Eldorado exit from 75 has been screwed up by construction since I moved here but it's always just been westbound that was affected. I'll be there and ready to roll at 8.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Looks like a high of 80 across the scenic byway and a 40% chance of rain, so maybe bring some backup clothes or whatever in case you get cold and wet. Think I'm going to go ahead and pick up rain gear just in case, rain in 90 degree weather was fine because it just cooled me off and was wet, below 80 while soaking wet will probably be unpleasant.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Rain and storms are looking increasingly likely for this weekend.

Do you intend to make a go/no go decision on, say, Saturday evening or are you all planning to go no matter what?

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Forecast claims rain in the morning and late afternoon/evening up in Oklahoma/Arkansas and only a couple hours of rain during the day, given that the day's 14.5 hours long now and it's probably raining early morning/late afternoon/evening we might avoid getting rained on in the mountains. Might be a wet road though. I'm up for it with how the weather looks but I'm picking up a rain suit on Saturday and some quick drying base layer stuff like I said, and some kind of solution to the "can't see poo poo out my visor in the rain" problem I had last time.

If people don't want to we could always do a more local route and hope for better weather later, either way's fine with me.

Tried to get that US-10 from the guy on ADVrider btw kuffs but it'd already sold. Think I'm going with a Givi topcase anyway. We're getting my wife a new car so I'm probably keeping this bike a while :v:, may as well be happy with it. Also make grocery shopping and commuting less annoying with a place to stick my helmet, and eggs. Now I just need a new windshield and handlebars and I'll have replaced almost everything on it that seemed weird.

Edit: It's not raining in Austin if anyone has a route to ride there as an alternative. (It is hot as poo poo though.)

M. Night Skymall fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 6, 2014

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
What base layer are you going with?

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

kuffs posted:

What base layer are you going with?

Ex-officio boxer-briefs should get here today to try and I'm probably just going to stick with my long sleeved Reebok tech shirt. The reebok stuff does pretty well. Pretty sure it's this one. It's also a lot cheaper than any of the motorcycle brands except Cyclegear's heatout. I got one of the heatout compression shirts and hated the fit. I'm confident the Ex-Officio stuff'll help because I used to have a lot of their stuff when I used to hike/climb a lot and it worked pretty well.

I was planning on just looking at what Motoliberty has this Saturday for a full length baselayer bottom. I'm pretty confident that just switching to the Ex-Officio stuff'll help tremendously vs. cotton, but my legs are definitely uncomfortable in the heat even with mesh pants so I'm probably going to at least try the RS-Taichi cool ride stuff or try the Heatout bottoms from Cyclegear, or both. Cyclegear's bottoms are 15 bucks so I'm not really risking a lot there.

Switching from cotton t-shirts to the long sleeved tech tops made things a lot more comfortable for me up top, also felt a lot less gross since I don't stick to the sleeves of my jacket when I try to take it off. It also dried really quick in the rain last time and didn't get clammy or anything.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Cool, I'll probably see you down there. I really want something more comfortable this ride. I'll probably hit up rei after

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I just plotted the full route for my GPS, looks like it's gonna be about 489 miles. All the way out to Mena via the byway. Then backtracking a bit and down to Idabel. Through Paris, Cooper, Commerce, Greenville, Farmersville, and finally winding back up in McKinney. I expect that some of us will end up breaking off at either Greenville or Farmersville for more direct access to our own parts of Dallas.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I would have enjoyed meeting up with you guys at Motoliberty but I just didn't have time to go all the way down there and back. I did make it to Cycle Gear and got some cheap Bilt/Frogg Toggs rain gear though, so I should be set for rain tomorrow if we get it.

I came through that Eldorado exit on the way back to recon the Valero station there. poo poo's hosed up and bullshit if you're trying to go west, still, but you won't have any trouble getting to that gas station. It's on the right.

See yall a bit before 8 tomorrow.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
on my way, it's looking ugly out.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I'm sorry but I am going to hang back. Weather radar shows a big system right where we would be going and possibility of storms besides rain. Not my idea of fun. I was really looking forward to this and I'm sorry to drop out at the last minute, but 500 miles in intermittent rain and storms just doesn't seem worth it to me.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

No problem. There's a flash flood warning in talihina until 7pm. Don't think that's reasonable to ride through. Still hanging out at the gas station waiting on skreemer, but not riding to Oklahoma for sure.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Where did you end up going instead?

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Alceste posted:

Where did you end up going instead?

Trying Forney. South East should be somewhat dry.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I'm looking out the window at the street (which has dried up again) and feeling stupid and wondering if I can go out somewhere by myself later if that system blows through. It's too late to catch up with you all now, but I hate the idea of all that prep work and anticipation being completely wasted.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Alceste posted:

I'm looking out the window at the street (which has dried up again) and feeling stupid and wondering if I can go out somewhere by myself later if that system blows through. It's too late to catch up with you all now, but I hate the idea of all that prep work and anticipation being completely wasted.

Headed home already, despite our best efforts to try to dodge the rain it was still really wet. I hadn't actually checked the weather since Friday so I didn't see how much worse the forecast had gotten until I was already out at the gas station in Mckinney. If I had I'd probably have posted to say we probably shouldn't ride into a flash flood warning in Oklahoma :v:. Still really want to do that ride though so hopefully we can get a free day + good weather to line up sometime soon.

You didn't miss much besides wet roads and really mediocre/bad tex-mex.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Well, thanks, that helps a little. I have been feeling lovely about this all morning. I'm sorry you guys didn't have a better time. I am still very ready/stoked to make that trip to the byway so I hope we can work that out again soon. I will be out of town--Broken Bow, actually, in the general area--next weekend for Father's Day but no plans for a while after that.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Made it home, the group breaks up and the weather turns nice... It was clear all the way down 635 and I got rained on just a little on 114, then it clear up and now it's just humid.

A little bit of am auspicious start, skidded the front tire on the second 90* turn by the airport in McKinney. From there on it wasn't terrible. Glad to know my wet weather gear still works the way it should. Let's hope for slightly better weather next time.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Some pix

Spankydoodle
Jun 15, 2002

Hey Skreemer/Padre if the offer to come help me look at a bike is still good I'm all settled in now and I'm hoping to go look at a motorcycle this week/weekend. I was leaning towards something newer at first, but I think I am going to go for a first gen SV650 since it will be my first bike and I don't have a covered place to park it. This is the one I have my eye on, it's located in Garland. 30k miles but from the pictures it doesn't seem to have any glaring problems and I like the way it looks.

I'm living in Uptown Dallas so let me know what works best for you guys logistically and we can figure something out. PM me or email at thatjerkjosh_AT_gmail.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Spankydoodle posted:

Hey Skreemer/Padre if the offer to come help me look at a bike is still good I'm all settled in now and I'm hoping to go look at a motorcycle this week/weekend. I was leaning towards something newer at first, but I think I am going to go for a first gen SV650 since it will be my first bike and I don't have a covered place to park it. This is the one I have my eye on, it's located in Garland. 30k miles but from the pictures it doesn't seem to have any glaring problems and I like the way it looks.

I'm living in Uptown Dallas so let me know what works best for you guys logistically and we can figure something out. PM me or email at thatjerkjosh_AT_gmail.

Doesn't look bad, all the replacement parts either means it was damaged at some point and fixed or the owner couldn't leave well enough alone. I like the gen2 better simply cuz I like fuel injection, but if it starts right up, shouldn't be an issue... I'm off all day tomorrow if your free (i only work 4 days a week) and my shift ends at 10am every day. If you've got the time let me know where/when to meet up.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Between the replacement parts (the ones that tend to snap off) and the rash on the tank it seems like it's been down at least once, but it's very clean. I can't get my swingarms that shiny. The rear tire also looks shiny, though--if you ride it off, please be careful.

Once I got them cleaned and synched, I never found the carbs on mine (I have a 2000 SV650) to be difficult to deal with, nor has the choke/warm up time been much of an issue. My bike has been very good to me. It runs and rides great and still gets ~45 MPG at 28K miles. I was looking for Gen 2's when I found mine, but it was too good a deal to pass up and I've never thought much since about what I might have missed. Then again, I do all the wrenching on it and I'm comfortable with that. People who don't do their own maintenance tend to be more wary of carburetors.

All of the decent Gen2's I've seen around DFW were about $3500+, at least when I was looking. I bet you could get this one for $2000 cash if you like it and if you press the issue about that tank damage.

Spankydoodle
Jun 15, 2002

Yeah I would definitely prefer FI for the convenience, but I do intend to do all the maintenance myself so hopefully the carbs won't be too much of a pain in the rear end. Is the newness of the rear tire going to affect its traction? I am undecided on whether I want to ride it off or tow it. My only prior experience was with the MSF but I didn't have any problems there. Obviously riding on the streets and highways will be different but I've got all the gear and I'm a careful person by nature. I intend to use this bike to commute to Fort Worth so the sooner I get comfortable the better.

A lot of people have told me DFW is not very friendly to motorcyclists. Have you guys had this experience? A coworker who also rides told me to get a really loud exhaust but that seems to be a very polarizing topic amongst other riders.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
You definitely want to be real careful with a new tire for the first, I dunno, 100 miles or so? Maybe less? Kuffs recently replaced one or both of his tires, I think, so maybe he can weigh in.

But when it's brand spanking new and shiny like that you need to be careful not to lean too much or be too heavy handed with the throttle. That said, I've scrubbed in two sets of new tires on two different bikes so far and never had any issues. I just rode somewhat conservatively. If it runs and you're comfortable, I see no reason to let that keep you from riding it home. I bought my first bike right after I took the MSF with zero other experience, and I rode it home with no problems. (it wasn't an SV though)

I can't speak for anyone else here but I agree with that assessment of D/FW drivers. After moving here from the Midwest I immediately found them to be self-centered assholes who drive way too fast. Then you factor in the prevalence of big, tall SUV's and trucks; immigrants who just learned how to drive here; idiots who pay more attention to phones than driving; and, now that it's summer, a lot of high school kids on the roads too.

You just have to be really, really careful is all. You develop a prescience after a while for driver stupidity--certain signs tip you off that someone in your vicinity is going to do something retarded, and when you learn to trust that instinct it helps a lot. I have had a few near misses but that's pretty much it. I don't commute long distances, though. I have a somewhat aggressive riding style that focuses on keeping out of the way of other vehicles, and it's served me well so far. Being the fastest thing on the road within your sight line is a big defensive advantage.

The loud exhaust thing is pretty subjective IMO. That bike you posted has an aftermarket pipe which might already be loud. I replaced my stock setup with a Danmoto titanium slip-on with a baffle in it, though it was mostly about weight savings and looks for me, but I am happy with how it sounds. I just don't know if it makes me any more noticeable in traffic. If someone is in a position to hear it, I'm most likely already out of their blind spot and/or right in front of them.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
According to the Hurt Report loud pipes do NOT save lives.

They sound pretty bitching though.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
You'll be fine with that new tire, no need to tow it. The releasing agent they put in they put in the molds for tires is a bit slippery (as expected) and takes just a little bit of time to wear off. As long as you're not doing serious canyon carving you'll be fine. Just be aware of it. I think it only takes about 100-200mi to scrub them in and you can go hog wild.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/379/749/Motorcycle-Article/Motorcycle-Tires-Product-Guide.aspx posted:

Breaking in New Tires
Give yourself a little time to get used to the way your new tires perform. When worn tires are replaced with differently patterned or constructed tires, they are not going to ride the same.

When new tires are fitted, give them a break-in distance of at least 100 miles. That means avoid revving the engine up to maximum power, don't tilt too far leaning into a turn or blast into corners. This gives riders time to get the feel of the new tires, to find the edge, and will give them ample opportunity to find the best road grip for a range of speeds, acceleration and handling use. After your first big ride, check and adjust the tire's inflation to recommended levels after it has cooled for at least three hours.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

kuffs posted:

You'll be fine with that new tire, no need to tow it. The releasing agent they put in they put in the molds for tires is a bit slippery (as expected) and takes just a little bit of time to wear off. As long as you're not doing serious canyon carving you'll be fine. Just be aware of it. I think it only takes about 100-200mi to scrub them in and you can go hog wild.

According to Pirelli they don't actually use mold release agent on modern tires (for major tire brands) anymore. Not on the actual contact surface of the tire anyway, only on the sidewall to make the lettering more clear. There's a 250wiki article about it that makes the argument that track riders regularly put tires on at the track, of the same kind you'd buy anywhere else, do a lap around the track to make sure everything's OK and then start lapping with no issues.

You should still take it easy on new tires because they're going to handle differently from the tires you replaced but not because they need to be worn in or anything.

That argument always seemed weird to me anyway since most mold release agents can be washed off with soap and water pretty easily.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Welp, thanks for straightening me out on that one :shobon:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The only thing you need to scrub off is the smooth, un-textured surface on the tires - it does reduce available grip. The track argument is legit, but most tracks are far more abrasive than the street, and you can apply a lot of throttle and braking while progressively working up lean angle in a way that's difficult to do on the street. If you work up to it, warm the tires up nicely with a lot of upright braking and accelerating, and lean progressively, it's easy to break in them in with about 20 miles of street/city riding, or a run up a nice twisty road with progressively more lean on each corner, so you're never on fresh tire while leaned over all at once.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Z3n posted:

The only thing you need to scrub off is the smooth, un-textured surface on the tires - it does reduce available grip. The track argument is legit, but most tracks are far more abrasive than the street, and you can apply a lot of throttle and braking while progressively working up lean angle in a way that's difficult to do on the street. If you work up to it, warm the tires up nicely with a lot of upright braking and accelerating, and lean progressively, it's easy to break in them in with about 20 miles of street/city riding, or a run up a nice twisty road with progressively more lean on each corner, so you're never on fresh tire while leaned over all at once.

Thanks for chiming in, that makes more sense than the mold release thing.

Alceste posted:

Well, thanks, that helps a little. I have been feeling lovely about this all morning. I'm sorry you guys didn't have a better time. I am still very ready/stoked to make that trip to the byway so I hope we can work that out again soon. I will be out of town--Broken Bow, actually, in the general area--next weekend for Father's Day but no plans for a while after that.

I've got things to do Father's day also, but if people are available the 22nd we could try again then and hope we get better weather? Not that "Flash flood warning at start of ride" is hard to improve on weather wise.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I'm booked that weekend.

Spankydoodle
Jun 15, 2002

Picked up my SV today with the generous help of Skreemer! Rode it home no problem (aside from the DFW drivers) and am planning to ride it to work tomorrow as well. It needs a little bit of work but it runs and there were no serious issues. I'd love to join you guys the next time you go out for a ride.

Thanks again Skreemer!

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Congratulations. Did you get that first gen? If so, I have a copy of the factory service manual on a CD-R around here somewhere. I had to do a lot of restoration on mine after it spent 5 years gathering cobwebs in the PO's garage, so I got to be quite mechanically intimate with it. I'd be happy to make you a copy and/or answer questions if you need anything like that.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Spankydoodle posted:

Picked up my SV today with the generous help of Skreemer! Rode it home no problem (aside from the DFW drivers) and am planning to ride it to work tomorrow as well. It needs a little bit of work but it runs and there were no serious issues. I'd love to join you guys the next time you go out for a ride.

Thanks again Skreemer!

Don't forget to order new brake pads all around. There's still material there but they looked kinda thin. Recheck the amount of coolant and oil. You're going to need to get a paddock stand set of stands, Alceste and M. Night Skymall both have SVs though M. Night Skymall's is a 2nd generation. Oil your chain, it's noisy as heck. If you decide to go new chain, remember to replace chain and sprockets together.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Spankydoodle posted:

Thanks again Skreemer!

I do all my own work on my bike, and it was fairly beat up when I got it (still pretty beat up) so let me know if you need any help with anything. I have a stand that'll lift up the front/rear without loading the suspension that should work on a first gen also.

Not sure when we're riding again, I think of all the rides we've done this one starting in Mckinney is my favorite. I think FM4 out by Granbury has a bit more in terms of elevation/twisties but it's not nearly as convenient. Both are good though if you're looking for somewhere near Dallas to get some riding in.

I know kuffs said he was busy the 22nd, anyone up for trying to ride out to Oklahoma the 29th? I also want to do a motorcycle camping trip sometime but I need to work out my kit and figure out how to avoid melting, may end up cheating and just meeting my wife somewhere while she drives the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spankydoodle
Jun 15, 2002

Alceste posted:

Congratulations. Did you get that first gen? If so, I have a copy of the factory service manual on a CD-R around here somewhere. I had to do a lot of restoration on mine after it spent 5 years gathering cobwebs in the PO's garage, so I got to be quite mechanically intimate with it. I'd be happy to make you a copy and/or answer questions if you need anything like that.

Yes, ended up getting the 2002. I downloaded the service manual from svrider.com and I've been looking through it but it's definitely a bit intimidating for never having done any mechanical work in the past. Still, I want to learn to do this myself. While the previous owner had said that it had been regularly serviced the receipts he provided me were only for a few different things and I'm not sure if the recommended maintenance schedule was followed so I'd like to be able to go through most of that.

Right now I'm planning on replacing the brake pads, flushing the radiator and perhaps an oil/filter change per Skreemer's recommendations.

Skreemer posted:

Don't forget to order new brake pads all around. There's still material there but they looked kinda thin. Recheck the amount of coolant and oil. You're going to need to get a paddock stand set of stands, Alceste and M. Night Skymall both have SVs though M. Night Skymall's is a 2nd generation. Oil your chain, it's noisy as heck. If you decide to go new chain, remember to replace chain and sprockets together.

Looks like I'm going to need to go buy an ethylene glycol base anti-freeze and mix it 50/50 with distilled water for the engine coolant. I still need to buy oil and a pan for it; I should be able to take the used oil to any mechanic for disposal right? Is the used engine coolant okay to dispose of in a more conventional manner? What oil do you guys recommend? And what should I use to oil the chain?

M. Night Skymall posted:

I do all my own work on my bike, and it was fairly beat up when I got it (still pretty beat up) so let me know if you need any help with anything. I have a stand that'll lift up the front/rear without loading the suspension that should work on a first gen also.

Not sure when we're riding again, I think of all the rides we've done this one starting in Mckinney is my favorite. I think FM4 out by Granbury has a bit more in terms of elevation/twisties but it's not nearly as convenient. Both are good though if you're looking for somewhere near Dallas to get some riding in.

I know kuffs said he was busy the 22nd, anyone up for trying to ride out to Oklahoma the 29th? I also want to do a motorcycle camping trip sometime but I need to work out my kit and figure out how to avoid melting, may end up cheating and just meeting my wife somewhere while she drives the car.

I'd definitely appreciate the use of the stand until I get one of my own and perhaps a bit of guidance on the initial servicing. I'm also reading that I shouldn't replace the brake pads on both the front and rear wheels at the same time, so I may only do one for now. What are good brake pads to get?

• Locked thread