Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShortThug
Dec 26, 2004

Yay!
Do PPKKK in the corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thengeance
Aug 1, 2013

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Haha, good luck. My friends only play League of Legends now and mostly played Xbox games when we lived in the same house. They'd watch me play #reload online or SF4 for a while, but never took me up on playing.

I'm jealous of anyone who can playing offline with decent players easily.

I'm one of the bad friends brought into the mix. The problem is that the guy(s) who pulled me in play all the time and have a strong desire to get better; I just want to have fun. So even when we meet up, I'm not even in the same arena as they are with game knowledge/execution, so it just turns into a training session/let's talk about why I destroy you conversation. It's definitely one of those things that requires commitment that casual players might not be interested in or able to manage time-wise.

I'm gonna keep trying, but it's easily the most frustrating genre I've ever played.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

thengeance posted:

I'm one of the bad friends brought into the mix. The problem is that the guy(s) who pulled me in play all the time and have a strong desire to get better; I just want to have fun. So even when we meet up, I'm not even in the same arena as they are with game knowledge/execution, so it just turns into a training session/let's talk about why I destroy you conversation. It's definitely one of those things that requires commitment that casual players might not be interested in or able to manage time-wise.

I'm gonna keep trying, but it's easily the most frustrating genre I've ever played.

I feel ya. Street Fighter is really loving hard to get into. I wish Injustice got more play because it's really nice as a first fighting-game. Most of the mechanics are intuitive and visually distinct as apposed to requiring lots of research and the inputs aren't as brutal, imo. Full circle in SF is killing me.

e: I thought this was the general fighting game thread, not trying to poo poo on the game or anything.

Trash Trick fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 8, 2014

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is there anything different about Down-Up charge moves compared to Back-Forward?
Back-Forward moves come out naturally but I gently caress up Down-Up moves pretty often. What might be the noob mistake there?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mio Bison posted:

Not a Boxer player but last I heard KPKPK is universal max damage in Ultra (midscreen at least, not sure about the corner).

If I do U1 after Headbutt second P misses completely, landing the opponent and failing the juggle.

ShortThug posted:

Do PPKKK in the corner.

This works even mid-screen. One of the hits misses completely, losing a bit of damage, but the last hit works so there's plenty of damage.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Jack Trades posted:

Is there anything different about Down-Up charge moves compared to Back-Forward?
Back-Forward moves come out naturally but I gently caress up Down-Up moves pretty often. What might be the noob mistake there?

You can trigger down-up charge moves with any flavor of down-up (for example, down-back to up-back works, down-back to up-forward, up-forward to up-back, whatever.) Back to forward charge only works if you end in forward or up-forward, to prevent you from charging flash kick while throwing sonic booms.

E: wait I misread and thought you were having trouble the other way around. This wouldn't explain why you're having problems with down-up charges, sorry. Are you getting jumps?

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

Jack Trades posted:

Different charge times maybe? But if you're talking about Balrog, all his charge times are the same.

Are you accidentally jumping or is a normal coming out on the ground? What is happening instead of the special move?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Satorr posted:

Different charge times maybe? But if you're talking about Balrog, all his charge times are the same.

Are you accidentally jumping or is a normal coming out on the ground? What is happening instead of the special move?

Mostly I just end up doing a normal instead for some reason.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
You're probably afraid you're going to accidentally jump so you are subconsciously pressing the button earlier than you do on a back-forward charge

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

thengeance posted:

Keep trying. Most people with lives and hobbies that aren't videogames just can't make the time to learn fighting games even if they wanted to due to the massive timesink involved. Just keep going and do your best to enjoy it. As long as you are doing damage and taking rounds you are doing something right. Just move on from there.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

Jack Trades posted:

If I do U1 after Headbutt second P misses completely, landing the opponent and failing the juggle.

The second P is supposed to miss so they drop lower and eat all three hits of the last K, which does more damage than the previous hits. Just tested it out on Ryu and it works fine, max damage both in and out of the corner. Did you find a character it doesn't work on or are you not playing Ultra?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mio Bison posted:

The second P is supposed to miss so they drop lower and eat all three hits of the last K, which does more damage than the previous hits. Just tested it out on Ryu and it works fine, max damage both in and out of the corner. Did you find a character it doesn't work on or are you not playing Ultra?

I'm playing AE. KPKPK doesn't work, at least on Dan, but PPKKK does work properly both in and outside of a corner.

EDIT: drat, Balrog is awesome.
I thought at first that his primary strength lies in good defense and punishes but his offense is absolutely brutal. TAP allows me easily if not punish fireballs directly then get me close to them really fast and from there I've got impressive amount of mix-up options.
I especially love how EX anything goes though most non-EX moves and EX Dashing Low Uppercut goes through a large amount of different EX moves and even straight through a Focus attack, even if it hits me before I hit them.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jun 9, 2014

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
Has delayed wake up made any difference for vortex characters?

Jack Trades posted:

I thought at first that his primary strength lies in good defense and punishes but his offense is absolutely brutal. TAP allows me easily if not punish fireballs directly then get me close to them really fast and from there I've got impressive amount of mix-up options.
Yeah, Balrog is a beast. Just don't start relying on TAP, because it can be surprisingly unsafe.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
There's a reason why Rog is my main. Dude is just solid all around. Unless you cross him up or knock him down.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

New pc netcode sucks balls. Before during lag (packet loss) the game would just slow down but now it pauses and during that pause it cancels all inputs, which means that I stop holding my charge and that I activate my TAP as soon as it resumes, no matter if I want it or not.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

I was just going to switch back to PC when ultra hit there, but now I don't know after hearing all the awful netcode stuff after the move over the steamworks.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jack Trades posted:

New pc netcode sucks balls. Before during lag (packet loss) the game would just slow down but now it pauses and during that pause it cancels all inputs, which means that I stop holding my charge and that I activate my TAP as soon as it resumes, no matter if I want it or not.

I dont know why but whenever it resumes they always resume before me. I get to watch them walk up to me and get a free combo I cant block even if I was holding block during the pause.

Lost Rivell
Jun 4, 2012
Hey, guys. Question for the thread: I'm a somewhat scrubby Gief player who learned a vital lesson today, which is "don't gently caress with Oni." So, I figured I'd post a replay and ask:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-UYUFRwJI4 Are there any pieces of advice that would give me a better handle on this dude, or am I better off praying that he fucks up badly like he did in the second round?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Lost Rivell posted:

Hey, guys. Question for the thread: I'm a somewhat scrubby Gief player who learned a vital lesson today, which is "don't gently caress with Oni." So, I figured I'd post a replay and ask:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-UYUFRwJI4 Are there any pieces of advice that would give me a better handle on this dude, or am I better off praying that he fucks up badly like he did in the second round?
Not trying to be mean or reductive but: learn to block, stop jumping so much, stop mashing buttons all the time.
None of your issues in there were specific to Oni v Gief. The issue is you're doing random stuff and getting knocked down, then pressing buttons on wakeup.

Lost Rivell
Jun 4, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

Not trying to be mean or reductive but: learn to block, stop jumping so much, stop mashing buttons all the time.
None of your issues in there were specific to Oni v Gief. The issue is you're doing random stuff and getting knocked down, then pressing buttons on wakeup.

I am unoffended! "Stop being an idiot" is definitely good advice at the point I'm at. I'm kind of a lovely gief, and I want to be a less-lovely gief.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Lost Rivell posted:

Block more.
Don't jump.
Your anti-air lariats are either way too early or straight up guesses which just happened to come at the same time as a jump.
Don't do random lariats or green hands.
React to stuff instead of guessing.
Walk forward and press st.MP.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Just one observation to start, what do you have against blocking? You woke up with lariat every time and you were punished every time. Stop hitting buttons.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
The sad bit being, in the second round if the Oni had just taken the guess and neutral jumped, or backdashed rather than automatically trying to block, he'd have been fine in that one.

Lost Rivell
Jun 4, 2012

Shockeh posted:

The sad bit being, in the second round if the Oni had just taken the guess and neutral jumped, or backdashed rather than automatically trying to block, he'd have been fine in that one.

I had absolutely no business winning the second round at all, and I knew it.

Clearly, I've got a lot of bad habits to unlearn, though! The poo poo you get away with to annoy your friends/random passers-by don't cut it when dealing with someone who has a modicum of an idea of what they're doing. Also, I really appreciate the advice, everyone. The youtube upload feature is really handy, and the fact that I can get advice at 4:30 in the morning is even cooler.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Well, just to third other comments - Your worst habit is pushing buttons. The Oni player did nothing more clever than meaty cr.HK a few times (and that's probably bad too, as it's A. Punishable and B. Not even anywhere near max damage off a wakeup meaty for Oni - The only reason I can think of to do it is to create a setup off the hard knockdown, which he didn't do) and just swept you again and again.

There's (especially online) nothing wrong with just blocking on wakeup, then waiting for them to do something unsafe/stupid. For example, that Oni pretty much psychic DP'd a few times, because he knew you'd be pushing buttons. If you'd waited him out, he'd have whiffed it, and you could have made him eat raw focus SPD or Ultra for it.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

ChrisG put up a solid and entertaining Yang combo and setups video with a pretty great title from past happenings at NLBC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VtYtr2TE4w

Edit: Hugo is big and dumb and struggles mightily in a number of matchups at this early point, so if you're sticking with him, you might as well learn some OSes so you can hopefully capitalize on any and every chance you get: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZxdQN0CkHY

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jun 9, 2014

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

How am I supposed to deal with Cross-Up - Blockstring - Cross-Up - Blockstring pressure as Balrog?
Ken's love doing that bullshit and I can seem to do anything about it. I tried breaking the chain with a headbutt but it comes out at a bad angle.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Jack Trades posted:

How am I supposed to deal with Cross-Up - Blockstring - Cross-Up - Blockstring pressure as Balrog?
Ken's love doing that bullshit and I can seem to do anything about it. I tried breaking the chain with a headbutt but it comes out at a bad angle.

Headbutt is an awful reversal. Use EX Upper to get out, or use delayed wakeup to change up the timing. If they're just doing a blockstring, jumping, and doing another blockstring, use c.HP or s.MP to anti-air (if they're crossing you up, s.MP is probably your better choice)

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Jack Trades posted:

Wait until you get E.Ryu's doing it, with the crossup-MK occasionally being MK Divekick!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

flatluigi posted:

Headbutt is an awful reversal. Use EX Upper to get out, or use delayed wakeup to change up the timing. If they're just doing a blockstring, jumping, and doing another blockstring, use c.HP or s.MP to anti-air (if they're crossing you up, s.MP is probably your better choice)

Delayed wake-up is not an option since I'm still playing AE (on PC) and I can't seem to make c.HP work in that situation since it always comes out either too slow or in the wrong direction.
I haven't tried s.MP though.

Shockeh posted:

Wait until you get E.Ryu's doing it, with the crossup-MK occasionally being MK Divekick!

I just had a match like that.
Dude kept jumping around me, interrupting all my attempts at stopping his cross-ups with lp blockstrings. All I could do was block and eat combos when I try to do something.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Jack Trades posted:

Use medium punch to hit them out of the air if they jump while you're standing.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
You should be able to backdash and still anti-air them. Or just jump back fierce.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Or just jump back fierce.
This. A thousand times this. Learning as Gouken to deal with continual cross-ups by doing jump back Roundhouse on reaction saved me so much heartache that I previously spent trying to get grounded AA/high Parry/Tatsu to work on. The same applies to Boxer; If they want to jump at you all day, learn to jump back fierce.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Shockeh posted:

This. A thousand times this. Learning as Gouken to deal with continual cross-ups by doing jump back Roundhouse on reaction saved me so much heartache that I previously spent trying to get grounded AA/high Parry/Tatsu to work on. The same applies to Boxer; If they want to jump at you all day, learn to jump back fierce.

Depending on the matchup Gouken has even more options. Nj.fp or close s.fk can be great, or low profile their jump with cr.lk.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

a!n posted:

Depending on the matchup Gouken has even more options. Nj.fp or close s.fk can be great, or low profile their jump with cr.lk.

Yeah, even years later I struggle with late cross-ups, especially on his wakeup, he's just so vulnerable to it. Nj.FP is really good if they're early enough, but I don't think I've ever gotten the close st.HK to hit as AA. I know people say it works, but I've just never seen it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

You should be able to backdash and still anti-air them. Or just jump back fierce.

What's "fierce"? HP?
I always found oldscool terminology to be confusing.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
LP - Jab
MP - Medium
HP - Fierce
LK - Short
MK - Forward
HK - Roundhouse

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Jack Trades posted:

What's "fierce"? HP?
I always found oldscool terminology to be confusing.

Yeah Fierce is HP.

The original arcade cabinets literally had those labels on the buttons so that's why we olds still use them. :corsair:

Shockeh posted:

LP - Jab
MP - Medium
HP - Fierce
LK - Short
MK - Forward
HK - Roundhouse

MP = Strong

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Shockeh posted:

Yeah, even years later I struggle with late cross-ups, especially on his wakeup, he's just so vulnerable to it. Nj.FP is really good if they're early enough, but I don't think I've ever gotten the close st.HK to hit as AA. I know people say it works, but I've just never seen it.

It's amazing against some characters, but almost useless against others. You should try it cause it can be really powerful and covers an angle no other option does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

Jack Trades posted:

As most people have said already, figure out simple anti-airs or air-to-airs to punish, or just work on escaping. Nothing fancy. Show them you can keep your cool and overcome their shenanigans.

It's especially annoying as a charge character since you're simultaneously being pressured and losing your charge. Learning to deal with screwballs who do that poo poo is one of the most important hurdles you can overcome.

• Locked thread