Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.
I'm back bitches and I already got a Sprint Cup win this season under a rain shortened race (Which for iRacing is when the pace car doesn't come out on a caution). Back to the same NASCAR grind for me. Going to try and spend most of my time in Class A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

DEMAG posted:

I'm back bitches and I already got a Sprint Cup win this season under a rain shortened race (Which for iRacing is when the pace car doesn't come out on a caution). Back to the same NASCAR grind for me. Going to try and spend most of my time in Class A.

lol NASCAR

IndyCar is where the :c00l: kids are, especially with the DW12 being released and talks of a combined Road/Oval series next season.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota

Dynamite Dog posted:

I use atlas for all my telemetry, but I have some teammates that swear by motec. Both work equally well it seems.

I've also been running all the old bastard races as low as I can so I'm not sure what's different about the Charlotte set. Maybe the downforce and soft rear springs? It could actually be the spring split front to rear causing the rear to swing down more. Either way, higher ride heights/stiffer springs/damper changes should alleviate the snapping.

Somewhat unrelated, if anyone is running the road warrior race this weekend the telemetry is invaluable in showing the inside wheelspin off some corners.

I've been running really stiff springs already (note: I'm still basically shooting in the dark with setups, especially with all the new parameters), so I dunno. It'd calm down good after the first couple laps, but then the snap oversteer comes back as soon as I get close to someone, which seems backwards to me. I'd have figured that I'd pick up a push instead in traffic. Oh well.

On an completely different note, did you not change tires at Milwaukee? I had seen you running the podium spots but then dropped back. It sounded like some people tried going the whole race on the same tires, fortunately my setup was off enough that I had no choice but to change them before they melted :v:

KingShibby posted:

lol NASCAR

IndyCar is where the :c00l: kids are, especially with the DW12 being released and talks of a combined Road/Oval series next season.

Wait, are there talks going on by anyone that actually gets to decide? I thought it'd just been forums people wanting it.

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.

KingShibby posted:

lol NASCAR

I'm just to poor to be cool.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Lord Crapulus posted:

On an completely different note, did you not change tires at Milwaukee? I had seen you running the podium spots but then dropped back. It sounded like some people tried going the whole race on the same tires, fortunately my setup was off enough that I had no choice but to change them before they melted :v:

Ya, I decided at the last second to not change tires. My set was horrid for the first ten laps of the stint so I figured I could gain some places by keeping them on. It worked out for a while but around lap 85 I started pushing badly then with 5 to go it was just hopeless.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Lord Crapulus posted:

Wait, are there talks going on by anyone that actually gets to decide? I thought it'd just been forums people wanting it.

Maybe it's just forums people wanting it, but it would make sense to have one.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Hey Bentai, maybe instead of watching the top split of the SM race you should have watched me dominate the lower split with the #15 car :colbert: :fuckoff:

http://members.iracing.com/membersite/member/EventResult.do?&subsessionid=11049777

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.
You know you're a high IR driver in a low split room when other drivers have to remind everyone to restart in 2nd gear. :shepicide:

P.S. it did not end well.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

KingShibby posted:

Hey Bentai, maybe instead of watching the top split of the SM race you should have watched me dominate the lower split with the #15 car :colbert: :fuckoff:

http://members.iracing.com/membersite/member/EventResult.do?&subsessionid=11049777
Actually I did watch that race. I swear SM races there like the street stocks, just hug the low line and nobody is getting past.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Bentai posted:

just hug the low line and nobody is getting past.

That's literally all I do when I'm leading and I've only been passed once. And that was from a 2 car train going by on the outside with no one behind me.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

KingShibby posted:

You had a small goon spectating party, and you didn't even know it.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

ManicJason posted:

You had a small goon spectating party, and you didn't even know it.

Well then I'll change the :fuckoff: to a :c00lbert:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Any tips for indy restarts? I am too much of a pussy and keep short shifting and not getting on it all the way in fear of spinning the car and dying.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

For Texas that's about the best thing to do. Start in 1st, short shift once you get one or two green lights on the RPM, then from 2nd you should be able to just bury the pedal.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I was starting in second then shifting before green then going green in 3rd. It's really hard going from a truck 4th right into indy the rpms are so different I feel like I'm waiting forever and I'm not even getting to green lights

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I'm not at my home computer so I can't test that for you right now, but I think in 2nd gear you can just go flat foot all the way up the rpm hill.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Bentai posted:

I'm not at my home computer so I can't test that for you right now, but I think in 2nd gear you can just go flat foot all the way up the rpm hill.

You can but it will be slower than going from first. I know this form experience.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Bentai posted:

Its more stable, but like Cojawfee said, you'll be slower. And you still have to be careful when you reach the peak rpms or you'll still spin. With some practice you can get starting in first down to where you're going full throttle pretty rapidly. But otherwise, short shifting is better than starting in 2nd.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Spend five minutes practicing restarts in a test session and you'll nail it. For me the trick is to floor it until 7.5k or 8k RPM, then lift to maybe 90% until the upshift, depending on the banking and gearing of the specific track.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

I am dropping my iRacing subscription due to funds, not having fun with it outside of GoonCar, and people taking internet racecars too seriously.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
People take it seriously. Try going on to the forum and call iracing a game.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I'm struggling to get a single race in a week.

With taking up target shooting, finally replacing my mountain bike with a more comfortable, less back destroying hybrid and getting a gym membership I think I might be done with this, too, at least for the summer.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

I'll be getting back into this soon primarily for oval racing. I did pretty well when I first played it and I'll have the time now to do some races at night and on the weekends. With the money to spend on cars and tracks plus better internet, want to see how far I can get and have some fun with this things again.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Texas, Indycar Fixed, 220 on the back straight. Every time I watch the replay I wonder how we didn't make contact.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

Sorry we couldn't get you in, ohsh, the guy that does the league applications wasn't on. I definitely recommend the league though, Star Mazdas alternating between road courses and short ovals. I had mentioned that there was a good range of speeds, here's the results from the race tonight, there seemed to be good action throughout the field: http://members.iracing.com/membersite/member/EventResult.do?&subsessionid=11091254&custid=119166 We get pretty good sized fields normally too, this was the smallest, but we've had 22 for our largest so far.

Dynamite, I'm guessing you did take tires this time? Can't catch a break!

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Lord Crapulus posted:

Dynamite, I'm guessing you did take tires this time? Can't catch a break!

Yep! My setup wasn't great so I just dropped tire pressures so I could toss the car into corners catch it at the apex and power out, and that worked for a while, but eventually Brian got around me and I had to try something different. I was going to finish somewhere between 2nd and 4th (German was just too fast) and so I tried rolling the dice.

Now I've got a big decision for next week... :ohdear:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Well now that I've gotten enough SR to move up to B-Road next season, I'm gonna start running Road To Indy with you guys starting next week!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Ive been playing about 3 weeks, this game is a lot of fun and I love that it locks you in a cockpit view. Im only using a 360 gamepad, but I havent found a good wheel for sale locally. I really don't want to buy one new. My biggest problem is going offtrack, but just slightly. Happens often enough that I usually only make 2-4 points each race.

Ill probably buy a few more months, but with a new account because my road course rating is pretty bad.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I think a few of us are going to do the Road Warrior this weekend. F1 at Montreal is a blast.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

ManicJason posted:

F1 at Montreal is a blast.

Except to watch on TV :iceburn:

I'll have to run some test laps when I get home, but I've historically done well at Montreal.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

Dynamite Dog posted:

Yep! My setup wasn't great so I just dropped tire pressures so I could toss the car into corners catch it at the apex and power out, and that worked for a while, but eventually Brian got around me and I had to try something different. I was going to finish somewhere between 2nd and 4th (German was just too fast) and so I tried rolling the dice.

Now I've got a big decision for next week... :ohdear:

Yeah, the 2nd-4th race was really tight. Starting 2nd was terrible, I had to wait for German to go and then I had no one to draft! Once I was behind you and Brian, I realized I wasn't ever going to be able to make a pass, so I figured I'd try to short pit. I ended up losing tons of time in traffic anyway though since I had way too much wing on. Ended up getting really lucky to get past Brian on the last lap. Also it helped that he gave me tons of room when I got along side into T1. I'll have to get some test time in this week at Rockingham, I bought the track just for the league.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Nows the time to work on my montreal f1 times :V my best is a 2:21.4

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Lord Crapulus posted:

Yeah, the 2nd-4th race was really tight. Starting 2nd was terrible, I had to wait for German to go and then I had no one to draft! Once I was behind you and Brian, I realized I wasn't ever going to be able to make a pass, so I figured I'd try to short pit. I ended up losing tons of time in traffic anyway though since I had way too much wing on. Ended up getting really lucky to get past Brian on the last lap. Also it helped that he gave me tons of room when I got along side into T1. I'll have to get some test time in this week at Rockingham, I bought the track just for the league.

I bought Rockingham because it was my favorite track in NR2003. I still haven't had a chance to race at it yet. This makes me sad.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Lord Crapulus posted:

That start was pretty dicey, I was worried about the draft before we even started and I was planning on just riding behind you for a bit but the window I got was just too good to pass up. I was lucky in that I had lower wings than you or Brian and my best corners were the very last ones before the back straight so I could just defend in the infield then pull a gap again down the straight.

At the end though Brian definitely let you by too easy. We were all watching that in my team teamspeak after the race and even Andy, who's always the gentleman racer, agreed that Brian just gave it away too easily.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Next week at The Rock is gonna be perfect for me since it's just a shorter version of Charlotte. Ran 10 laps pretty much flat out (except for a T1 lift). The amount of turbulence you get in the low line from the track surface is an absolute blast.

I'm running the same setup I did for Charlotte last week (except for gear ratios), I can share it if you guys want

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

Rockingham is interesting, I didn't remember it being that highly-banked or that bumpy. What kind of times are you getting?

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Lord Crapulus posted:

Rockingham is interesting, I didn't remember it being that highly-banked or that bumpy. What kind of times are you getting?

I test ran 10 laps in race trim and bested a 24.827, laps are on iSpeed

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jun 11, 2014

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

Oh lol, I forgot about all the SM changes. I had looked at the results from when this league ran Rockingham last year, and they were doing low 22s in qual and high 21s in the race!

e:

Dynamite Dog posted:

That start was pretty dicey, I was worried about the draft before we even started and I was planning on just riding behind you for a bit but the window I got was just too good to pass up. I was lucky in that I had lower wings than you or Brian and my best corners were the very last ones before the back straight so I could just defend in the infield then pull a gap again down the straight.

At the end though Brian definitely let you by too easy. We were all watching that in my team teamspeak after the race and even Andy, who's always the gentleman racer, agreed that Brian just gave it away too easily.

I'm poo poo on cold tires, once I got wide I knew you were going through. Then yeah, I was really surprised Brian let it go so easily. I thought I was further alongside him than I was, just hit a wall of air once I pulled out of the draft. It ended up being a far more optimistic move than I like to do, I was glad he didn't sound upset about it after the race. I guess these things will happen more often with the bonus points for a clean race though.

Lord Crapulus fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 11, 2014

texasmed
May 27, 2004
I'm thinking about giving this game another try after a year off to check out the updates. I did a ton of oval racing a few years ago, and last year I came back driving the Skippy while eagerly anticipating the release of the Lotus 49. I saw a few pages ago here that the L49 racing is dead, which is sad. Grand Prix is a pretty cool movie and I wanted to do some racing in a similar car.

Have there been any returning member deals lately? I think the anniversary passed recently, but I haven't gotten any emails with coupons or anything. I guess 12 bucks is not terrible since I already have most of the content I'd want to use :shrug:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

texasmed posted:

I came back driving the Skippy while eagerly anticipating the release of the Lotus 49. I saw a few pages ago here that the L49 racing is dead, which is sad.
It looks like there are 4-10 official L49 races a week, depending on the track. Last week was Brands Hatch and only ran officially Friday night once, Saturday mid day twice, and Sunday mid day once. If you can make any of those times, there's no reason not to run it. It's possibly the most fun car on the service from what I've seen of it.

• Locked thread