Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Knormal posted:

This morning I had a user who already runs at 800x600 with large fonts complain again about her fonts being too small, then immediately transition into telling me how good her vision is and how she doesn't need glasses. Is there some kind of Dunning-Kruger effect with people like that, or just plain old denial?

Oh man, this reminds me of two instances I ran into with situations like this.

First one was a past job 3 years back, had a user that worked in a customer service department, older lady with fashionable coke-bottle lens glasses. She must've been drat near blind because in addition to having glasses with lenses like 3/8" thick, she had both her monitors set to 800x600, super huge fonts, and screen magnifiers similar to this (with her face about 3" away from them):

The second is with my existing job and a current client, there's an older guy who I'm sure has something like cataracts or glaucoma or something...eyes always bloodshot, screen res on a 22" widescreen monitor set to 1024x768, huge fonts and it takes him at least 3-4 tries to put his password in. I stood at his desk one day after doing a swap from his old PC to a new thin client, wanted to make sure he could get in and all his settings were the same in the new environment we'd set up. He typed slow as hell, put the password in twice incorrectly, and kept correcting himself so often that I finally was like "here, let me put your password in" and typed it for him.

So in short, it's denial and stubbornness mixed together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

piratepilates posted:

Maybe he's just as frustrated at you for not giving a straight answer or for making the responses complicated,

Come on. Both of his responses include a simple affirmative at the very beginning.

"Did you check your changes for Dev2?"
"I did, [detail detail detail detail detail]"
"Yea, [detail detail detail detail detail]"

He's doing exactly what you're suggesting: giving a plain response and then expanding on detail. If the dev is frustrated that he isn't getting a straight answer, it's because the dev is not READING his answer and instead only skimming it or glancing at the amount of text in the reply without paying heed to the content.

It doesn't necessarily sound condescending to me. It's extremely hard to tell in text without emotes, and a lot of people are very bad at conveying the intended tone in that format. But it's still rude because he's clearly not reading the responses that are being sent.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, that was a poor example of his often [in my opinion] condescending tone. Earlier this week he asked if I knew what something was, I said no... His response was "How long have you been working on [project]?" which, could be a legitimate question but it just made me feel :downs: as hell. He works in a different office so all of our conversation is over IM, occasionally phone.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Yeah, that sounds a little condescending considering the timing of the question. It still could be the text medium, but at some point one has to learn how to convey proper tone or risk being misunderstood.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
got a little personal ticket of my own I'd like you guys to help me on.

Recently, I've been trying to setup my first FTP server, but I just cant seem to get it working. Everytime I try to setup the password or try to log in I get either a "The sever name or address could not be resolved" (for the first ftp I made) error or a "A connection with the server could not be established" (for the second one I made). I tried messing around with the firewall but to no avail.

HALP

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jun 7, 2014

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
I've no idea what's going on there but I'm pointing out for your benefit that one of the rules for this forum is:

The Rules posted:

Don't mention whether any of your software is illegally acquired.

Also, if you're going to do that, for the love of god why vista?

Ayeson
Jul 31, 2013

Look at me I'm on the internet!!
Storytime, also firstpost, please forgive me, So I work for a large financial institution that was bailed out by the Federal government during the crash. (cant say any more than that)

I roll in this morning (at 6 AM on a Saturday) and am informed by my colleagues working overnight that I "Just missed the fun" and by fun they mean a 35 Incidents flooding our queue at 3 AM and our Level 2's couldnt figure out the issue after an hour...so they were instructed to just close the incidents.

Flash forward to 3 hours later, I get logged in and am drinking my big cup of NASA coffee and we're shooting the poo poo when our pager starts blowing up, and its a blackberry and it's annoying as gently caress, it seems like the gates of hell have unleashed and we have 120+ production servers throwing SCSI errors and path errors and people start freaking the gently caress out. Turns out it was a broken SAN Switch and will take 2+ hours to resolve.

They probably couldve avoided pulling everyone in on a saturday had the monkeys on the SAN team appropriately triaged the first issue. But that would require using brainpower. loving IBM L2's.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Race Realists posted:

got a little personal ticket of my own I'd like you guys to help me on.

Recently, I've been trying to setup my first FTP server, but I just cant seem to get it working. Everytime I try to setup the password or try to log in I get either a "The sever name or address could not be resolved" (for the first ftp I made) error or a "A connection with the server could not be established" (for the second one I made). I tried messing around with the firewall but to no avail.

HALP

Where are you trying to set it up? More importantly, where are you trying to access it from? Start with a loopback connection, then same LAN, then across the net. What OS is hosting it? What server software? Run a portscan against the server (AngryIP scanner is good here) and see if the port shows as open.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Dude... was today your last day?

no, Wednesday is. I am counting the hours at this point

ghana rheya
Dec 26, 2013
Love summer time. Killed all the XP machines off. Now to image 300 new PC's and nuke another 200 iPads before August. \o/

Edit: good to see you're moving to better digs blacksword.

Zephirus
May 18, 2004

BRRRR......CHK

Ayeson posted:

Turns out it was a broken SAN Switch and will take 2+ hours to resolve.

They probably couldve avoided pulling everyone in on a saturday had the monkeys on the SAN team appropriately triaged the first issue. But that would require using brainpower. loving IBM L2's.

If your SAN can't deal with a dodgy switch and half the paths being down, you need to talk seriously to your SAN admins. gently caress that noise.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

sfwarlock posted:

Where are you trying to set it up? More importantly, where are you trying to access it from? Start with a loopback connection, then same LAN, then across the net. What OS is hosting it? What server software? Run a portscan against the server (AngryIP scanner is good here) and see if the port shows as open.

I was trying to set it up on my own system, and I tried to log in from my own system. Vista Ultimate is hosting. I'm using the Mircrosoft version of FTP. I'll try software ftp like CuteFTP later when I become more versed on how they all work.

Ayeson
Jul 31, 2013

Look at me I'm on the internet!!

Zephirus posted:

If your SAN can't deal with a dodgy switch and half the paths being down, you need to talk seriously to your SAN admins. gently caress that noise.

I mean, it only took down 4 production databases out of the thousands we have (yay redundant datacenter), but yeah, their procedures are poo poo and those admins are in dire need of a come to Jesus. Total time to resolution (production DB's being restored to functional state was ~7 hours) This same thing happened on a larger scale in February.

To give you more insight we're one of those places that is on extended support for XP...my X1 Carbon runs XP...Imagine the expression on my face when I booted it up and saw that progress bar. At least I still have an SSD so my only performance bottleneck is our VPN.

Ayeson fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jun 8, 2014

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

...more appropriately, a holy poo poo someone is getting fired came in. This is all second hand as I'm not IT but last night the power went out at our dispatch center. Normally the generator would kick on and everything's kosher, right? That is, if the backup batteries hadn't all been dead. Instead, everything was down for about five and a half hours.

I do mean everything: 911, radios, phones, computers, everything. Right at the same time that officers were going out on a double shooting. Really hard to get an ambulance to the scene when nobody can answer the radios or phones. gently caress me if this isn't typical for our IT guys. Kudos to you guys who actually know what you're doing.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Marcade posted:

...more appropriately, a holy poo poo someone is getting fired came in. This is all second hand as I'm not IT but last night the power went out at our dispatch center. Normally the generator would kick on and everything's kosher, right? That is, if the backup batteries hadn't all been dead. Instead, everything was down for about five and a half hours.

I do mean everything: 911, radios, phones, computers, everything. Right at the same time that officers were going out on a double shooting. Really hard to get an ambulance to the scene when nobody can answer the radios or phones. gently caress me if this isn't typical for our IT guys. Kudos to you guys who actually know what you're doing.

Holy hell. THAT is a major fuckup.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Yeah, NOTHING is more important than emergency services dispatch. I was interviewing someone who works in that field, he said he knew he was doing a good job when nobody dies, and that wasn't hyperbole in the slightest.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Race Realists posted:

I was trying to set it up on my own system, and I tried to log in from my own system. Vista Ultimate is hosting. I'm using the Mircrosoft version of FTP. I'll try software ftp like CuteFTP later when I become more versed on how they all work.
I'd recommend starting a thread over in the tech support subforum, there are tons of things that could be and this thread isn't really the place to whittle through them. My first thought though would firewall, either on your PC or your router. Depending on how you're connecting you may need to open the ports on both.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Marcade posted:

:catstare:

Uhh, yeah, I'm guessing multiple people are going to lose their jobs.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I just hope no-one lost their life, let alone job. :ohdear:

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

HalloKitty posted:

Common problem I believe, a bloke at work had the same problem. He said that support had told him it was not unusual.

I know of it being a common issue with the S4, but not that the S3 Mini was also apparently affected. Friend of mine works in an electronics retail shop and they have had quite a few S4s come in but no S3 Minis.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Marcade posted:

You mean a dispatch center with no handheld radios and mobile phones for just such an eventuality? Thats... ballsy.
It's such a cheap and obvious failsafe that any formal risk assessment would adress, so that implies there haven't been a formal risk assessment at all.

But still five and a half hours? Why didn't things get up when the generator eventually started?

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Caconym posted:

You mean a dispatch center with no handheld radios and mobile phones for just such an eventuality? Thats... ballsy.
It's such a cheap and obvious failsafe that any formal risk assessment would adress, so that implies there haven't been a formal risk assessment at all.

But still five and a half hours? Why didn't things get up when the generator eventually started?

drat, sounds like there was no generator testing whatsoever. We make it a point to test our generators every month and run them for an hour to make sure they can handle the load. Not doing anything like that is just begging for disaster to strike.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Marcade posted:

I used to be a dispatcher and some of this doesn't make sense. Are you saying the station's generator didn't work? If so that's not an I.T. problem. If the generator worked dispatch should work, unless the lack of battery backup during the time before the generator kicked in scrambled the CAD system so that even with generator power it couldn't come up without hours of recovery efforts. But that should have nothing to do with the radios.

Phones... well that could be a mess if they lose power totally and it's all VoIP poo poo with no analog line backups.

And even with power completely out dispatch would work off of portables and cards, which I had to do a few times. And it sucks as bad as you would imagine.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Back when we actually had the dispatch center at the police department it wouldn't have been a problem. The city had the brilliant idea of moving all of fire/police/ems together into one building that has zero oversight from the PD or the FD so things are as screwed up and half-assed as you might expect (but that's a whole other rant). I know that everything had to be routed through the county dispatch for some time but I wasn't on duty at the time so like I said the information is second hand. It took a total of five and a half hours before everything was back to "normal" at any rate.

Edit: you're right, it's only partially I.T.'s fault. If the dispatch center was actually trained (which they aren't, considering the insane turn over rate they have) they could have worked around the power outage. The dead batteries should never have happened but the lack of training/experience really compounded things for the worse.

Having slept on it all I was too harsh on the I.T. guys and for that I apologize.

Marcade fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 8, 2014

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Dick Trauma posted:

If so that's not an I.T. problem.

You know this. I know this. And yet...

Great Orb!
Feb 4, 2009
A call came in over the weekend from one of our clients:

:downs: "I'm wondering if you could answer a question for me."
:crossarms: "Sure, what's up?"
:downs: "Well, I recently got a MacBook Air. I have Parallels installed on it with a Windows 7 instance..."
:crossarms: "Okay. Sounds good so far."
:downs: "I was wondering if there was a way I could access my Outlook archives on it."
:crossarms: "Do you know where the archives are saved?"
:downs: "They're on my work laptop. But since I don't like using that while I travel, I was wondering if I could load them on to my Air as well."
:crossarms: "Do you know how big they are?"
:downs: "Well, the one from 2013 is about...20 GB, but my Parallels partition is only 30 GB. And I still have my two from 2012 and 2011. They're about 10 GB each. Can I get those added too?"

I told him I'll have to do a little research on that. :stonk:

Great Orb! fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 9, 2014

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
POP email hoarders are the bane of my existence.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Disabling archives via GPO was the best thing we ever did. 2 gig limit mailboxes too.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

My place starts everyone out with 250MB of space and apparently if you call the help desk you can get bumped up 250MB increments all the way to 2GB. Archives are disabled and any email older than 30 days is automatically deleted. Retention can be increased to a maximum of 3 years but must be done on a per email basis.

I rather like that setup. Also the company is big and bureaucratic enough that no one short of a c-level is going to get any special privileges no matter how hard they cry about it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We're a pretty small org, and no one is except from that policy. The president of the company said specifically no one is except, and oh boy do the sales people bitch about it.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Galler posted:

My place starts everyone out with 250MB of space and apparently if you call the help desk you can get bumped up 250MB increments all the way to 2GB. Archives are disabled and any email older than 30 days is automatically deleted. Retention can be increased to a maximum of 3 years but must be done on a per email basis.

I rather like that setup. Also the company is big and bureaucratic enough that no one short of a c-level is going to get any special privileges no matter how hard they cry about it.

Oh look at Mr. Fancypants and his increasing upgrades to mailbox sizes, I live with this:

It'd be OK if it wasn't for loving HR sending 5MB emails at least twice a week.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Our users get 150mb tops and they like it, or else. :colbert:

This is possibly the only good policy left over from my ex-boss.

Great Orb!
Feb 4, 2009
We don't do Exchange for the people I mentioned in my previous post. They're hosted through another company and each user (about 55-60 in total) has a 50 GB mailbox.

The amount of email these people send and receive on a daily basis is insane. I remember working on one of their computers and the user in question was getting, on average, two-three emails a minute, one of which had a PDF attached to it.

They also get their addresses blacklisted by mail filtering systems on a weekly basis.

Great Orb! fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 9, 2014

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

deimos posted:

Oh look at Mr. Fancypants and his increasing upgrades to mailbox sizes, I live with this:

It'd be OK if it wasn't for loving HR sending 5MB emails at least twice a week.

I only get 100 mb. Over 90 I can't send email. Every week someone sends some mass email with a odd or a giant image.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
75MB Mailbox limit with Enterprise Vault. Can't send when you hit the limit.

Pros: Get to spread the gospel of how email isn't an appropriate file sharing medium and version control system.

Cons: Dealing with Enterprise Vault.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

m.hache posted:

It bothers me that a company that can grow big enough to warrant 50 computers in a 5 story building can't front a few grand for a server. I really hope something like that doesn't exist.

Several pages back, but my buddy was telling me about his first desktop support job that he just laid off from. A roughly ~150-people warehouse with absolutely no domain and every computer a Frys/Best Buy special, and a mix of XP/7/8 machines (Home, of course.) Also, 17 Aerohive AP320 units.

Honestly, I'm kinda glad he got laid off, god drat.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

These email limits are insane. 75 mb geez....

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Priss In Plate posted:

We don't do Exchange for the people I mentioned in my previous post. They're hosted through another company and each user (about 55-60 in total) has a 50 GB mailbox.

The amount of email these people send and receive on a daily basis is insane. I remember working on one of their computers and the user in question was getting, on average, two-three emails a minute, one of which had a PDF attached to it.

They also get their addresses blacklisted by mail filtering systems on a weekly basis.

I work at a Fortune 500 and we have a 50 GB mailbox limit. I've love to see how IT makes that work for so many people, but I'm so far removed from it that I'll probably never find out.

When I was a temp I had to share a single E-Mail client with 2 other temps using POP3 though. That was...fun. We get a lot of E-Mail, but no 2-3 a minute. It is, however, about 500 a day, give or take depending on what's broken.

e:

Oh yeah, yesterday I had a ticket ending in 69, for channel 69 in zone 69. I spent more time laughing at this than actually working the ticket because I am a literal child. The date was 6/8 though, too bad it didn't happen today :(

Renegret fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jun 9, 2014

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
To be honest man, I would have done the same. I don't ever want to get to the point where I can't go "hurr durr 69".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
Fart jokes should be the norm in any IT department. Just today I've personally warmed three other coworkers seats before they came in to work.

• Locked thread