Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=I+Hardly+Know+Her

Also, Geralt got amnesia in the first game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I'm having a strange issue with the game:

Cut Scenes including dialog screens, the meditate screen, and pretty much anytime I don't control Geralt run poorly. When I'm in control of Geralt the game runs perfectly, but as soon as I lose control of him the framerate drops by orders of magnitude. So much so that on the meditate/drink potion/alchemy screen the mouse cursor is incredibly slow and unresponsive. I read online that the "depth of field-- cut scenes" option could be responsible, so I turned it off using the Witcher II tweaker, but it did not solve the issue. Any ideas?

I also can't tell if the Witcher II tweaker is working. When I use it to launch game, it just launches the overlay for the game, and if I go into the options menu in the overlay things like "cinematic depth of field" are still considered "enabled", where as I have them turned off in the tweaker.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 8, 2014

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I will unfriend someone if I see they have that achievement.

I just played through that part yesterday, stand your ground dawg.

Heard he makes some cool armor :q:

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.

Riso posted:

There's already a GOT RPG. The story is supposed to be decent but the gameplay is a bit clunky.

The story was mostly good, as it was outline by GRRM. Some of the story though is just downright stupid. Like the fact that your only save the baby option as Alestair is secreting him away and then getting yourself killed for no reason. Like there's no option to just lie to Cersei and say hey you know your sociopath adjutant who ruined your plan to make himself a lawful heir of my feif? Yeah he totally lied to you about the Targ baby, it died awhile back. But instead you have to sit by the iron throne and smug-face tell Cersei when she shows up 'hahaha I have ruined all your plans and targbaby has escaped.'

cmykjester posted:

I'm so excited for the Witcher 3. I'm thinking about trying a insane mode play through in the Witcher 2. Does anyone have any tips before I start?

I already wrote up other sections on this somewhere in this tread so I'll try to keep this short(er.)

-Be paranoid especially in act 1. But even in act 3 you can get wrecked hard by gargoyle backstabs ect. In the first act even nekkers can kill you easily. Also remember what can kill you pretty much instantly from full HP in any given act. like the greater rotfiend in the caves in act1.
-Do all the noncombat quests first to get your exp up.
-Take all the items you can and store them to make stuff and also for monies.
-Probably get at least the 50% backstab reduction ability. and definitely get at least 1 level of the swordsman leap.
-Anytime you are out in an area with monsters be constantly drinking potions. And use the invisible magic spots that give you buffs.
-A save transfer from W1 with equipment is useful.
-Bombs and knives are very useful. The large necker mass in one of the act 1 caves can get wrecked with about 10 bombs. Any boss or large creature you don't feel comfortable fighting(like act1 troll) just bomb or knife it to death.
-Be sure to abuse quen as well especially in act 1. Always have quen active because a single hit can mean death or life. I wouldn't even move when I was in the wilds until I had recharged vigor to get quen back. Especially important with the giant squid monster from act 1.
-Don't be afraid to reload mid combat if a fight isn't going your way. Better not to lose 20 hours of work.
-Be confident of your ability to get through the act2 sequence as the skeletons before you attempt it. It's not actually that hard you just have to use parry and potentially lure enemies 1 at a time.
-You can farm act 2 harpies on Iorveths path to get madness and power damage/str mutagens. You will gain a few levels from the exp of it too.
-If you have the alchemy spec with double impregnate you can pretty much make yourself invulnerable by the end of act 2, which will make the game a breeze from then on.
-Leave your sound on(I like to listen to music when I play) but being able to hear monsters sneaking up behind you is crucial.
-Again, I can not stress this enough, be paranoid. Be cautious. Don't do anything risky in a fight. Use them explosives instead, at least up until you are mutagened out.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

cmykjester posted:

I'm so excited for the Witcher 3. I'm thinking about trying a insane mode play through in the Witcher 2. Does anyone have any tips before I start?

Here's a cheesy trick: collect every loving bear trap thing you find in the forest of chapter 1. Whenever you know you're going into a hard fight, like Endrega Queens or something, lay down a poo poo load of them. It's cheesy as hell, and you can collect these traps and keep using them later. There are moments where you can't use them...but they work good for what they are.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

chaosapiant posted:

Here's a cheesy trick: collect every loving bear trap thing you find in the forest of chapter 1. Whenever you know you're going into a hard fight, like Endrega Queens or something, lay down a poo poo load of them. It's cheesy as hell, and you can collect these traps and keep using them later. There are moments where you can't use them...but they work good for what they are.

Yeah it's really satisfying to stack like 15 of them and one (multi) hit KO those fuckers.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
About to restart W2 for like the 3rd time (I keep forgetting to finish it and it's great so whatever) and I installed the Full Combat Rebalance 2 mod for my new (hopefully) final run. I just heard in the Steam thread though that this mod breaks the game??

I want to do a new Dark mode run. Should I use FCR2 or not? And does it get rid of the Darkmode black & white effect (I hate it)?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
FCR doesn't break the game, it just unbalances it and doesn't integrate very well. There are all sorts of little weird things that will pop up where systems, like crafting or potions, don't really fit well with the new combat. Case in point, the imported weapons are armor are better than anything you can find in W2 until Loc Muine. I also personally don't like the new blocking mechanic, but a lot of people feel differently.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Playing W2 for the first time, I never felt like tackling it before since I bought it during the summer sale of 2012... heh.

Just finished the harpyie feathers quest line.
I mean, I kind of saw it coming (who didn't), but the final reveal was just magnificient, including the dialog options.

By the way, what are the best options to take off some load off of my GPU (HD 7870) without sacrificing too much visual complexity? It kind of bothers me that my card is running at 99% pretty much all of the time. I think no other game ever made the fan spin that fast.

Meanwhile, the CPU is basically chilling at body temperature...

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
Yeah, be very paranoid. poo poo will crawl out of the ground or climb down trees behind you.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
Every time I think of starting an Insane Mode run, I ask myself, "So, looking forward to the Eternal Battle?" and I just roll Dark Mode instead. Ya'll are crazy.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

mcbexx posted:

Playing W2 for the first time, I never felt like tackling it before since I bought it during the summer sale of 2012... heh.

Just finished the harpyie feathers quest line.
I mean, I kind of saw it coming (who didn't), but the final reveal was just magnificient, including the dialog options.

By the way, what are the best options to take off some load off of my GPU (HD 7870) without sacrificing too much visual complexity? It kind of bothers me that my card is running at 99% pretty much all of the time. I think no other game ever made the fan spin that fast.

Meanwhile, the CPU is basically chilling at body temperature...

Be sure you have Ubersampling off. After that, in this order, lower or turn off Ambient Occlusion, Anti-Aliasing, Motion Blur, Bloom, Shafts, and Depth of Field until you have the performance you're looking for.

Also, look in the second post for the Tweaker, it's a more-detailed settings menu.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
Is the Witcher game storyline identical to the books? E.g., Witcher 1 correlates to one of the books. Or is it Expanded Universe-esque?

I'm considering reading the books but don't want to spoil the Witcher 3 plot if it's the former.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

The witcher games are stand alone from the books. You won't be spoiled by reading the books.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Well more accurately, the games are sequels. The Witcher 1 takes place a few years after the last novel, so reading the novels spoils nothing and in fact might give you some knowledge of stuff they give nods to.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Leb posted:

Every time I think of starting an Insane Mode run, I ask myself, "So, looking forward to the Eternal Battle?" and I just roll Dark Mode instead. Ya'll are crazy.
Agreed. I like this game a lot, but there are enough bullshit places to die, that I figure Insane Mode (without cheating) would just be a way to spend many hours building frustration.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Leb posted:

You just know there has to be that one person out there that played through on insane and ended up failing that dragon QTE at the end of the game.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

I beat insane mode. It involved lots of me immediately quitting the game every time a battle starting going even slightly badly.

I never had problems with the eternal battle. But I'm pretty sure I always had riposte every time I did it.

Rdubs
Jun 2, 2014
Bought The Witcher (1) a couple years ago on one of those "$10 and under" gaming clearance sections. All it had was the CD in a styrofoam case. Went to pre-order TW3 but can't find the product key anywhere for TW1. Not surprising given it had transformed to super-old packaging, but did anyone else who bought the budget version find a product key somewhere? Opened up the CD contents as well and checked the manual and Readme but even those were generic.

I don't so much care about the extra $5 or whatever savings but would be nice to have TW1 registered on GOG. BTW, I had no idea GOG was a CDPR venture; spread the word, everyone buy TW3 from this site so CDPR captures more margin.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
If I remember correctly they messed up and not all copies of the first game had a key. I think I had to email them for one when I bought a boxed copy.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.

Roobanguy posted:

The witcher games are stand alone from the books. You won't be spoiled by reading the books.

You'll actually be spoiled the other way around. I mentioned how Geralt and Yennifer die together in Rivia (which is explained in the prologue of the game) on a reddit thread and everyone lost their heads. I couldn't even comprehend that a primary English speaker would jump into the books and not have even really tried the games. It's not like the novels are super well known on their own internationally.

Leb posted:

Eternal battle is super easy on insanity. I used double impregnation mutagens which apparently carried over to all the skeletons, but the enemies are nerfed because of my weaker default armor/weapon and inability to roll around like an idiot. So I was basically invincible for all those segments. Once you get the timing down on the running that's easy too. And you can just bomb the poo poo out of the draug.

Rdubs posted:

Bought The Witcher (1) a couple years ago on one of those "$10 and under" gaming clearance sections. All it had was the CD in a styrofoam case. Went to pre-order TW3 but can't find the product key anywhere for TW1. Not surprising given it had transformed to super-old packaging, but did anyone else who bought the budget version find a product key somewhere? Opened up the CD contents as well and checked the manual and Readme but even those were generic.

I don't so much care about the extra $5 or whatever savings but would be nice to have TW1 registered on GOG. BTW, I had no idea GOG was a CDPR venture; spread the word, everyone buy TW3 from this site so CDPR captures more margin.

You don't even get a CD key for a steam enhanced copy of TW1. There's some proof of purchase thing you can fill out on the CDPR website, but yeah for 3$ I couldn't be arsed. http://thewitcher.com/backup/ if you're interested. If I cared I could just buy it on steam and get my extra 5% off, but I would rather just spend the 3$ and support CDPR/GoG directly.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Hopefully it's okay to ask here, but any advice on how to keep Abigail alive in TW1 after beating the Beast? I can keep her alive through that, but then the villagers rush up, and Geralt just says okay we're done here, sheaths his sword while they just gang up on her. It does some cutscene while I can hear them cutting off her limbs and then when I can do anything she's already dead. Surely that's not supposed to happen, yet each time I keep her alive through the beast fight, that happens.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
That doesn't sound right. Unless I'm remembering it wrong, I remember making the choice of whether or not to protect her before the Beast fight.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
She doesn't die, she just falls over for a while and then stands back up. I had the same situation happen literally a couple hours ago.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

1stGear posted:

She doesn't die, she just falls over for a while and then stands back up. I had the same situation happen literally a couple hours ago.

Oh okay, would be nice if they said that somehow. Like just saying she was knocked out or something. Thanks though :)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

so i'm thinking I should probably make my third run at witcher 2 - can you uninstall FCR midway through, or does it have to be a clean save?

Rdubs
Jun 2, 2014

Karl Sharks posted:

Hopefully it's okay to ask here, but any advice on how to keep Abigail alive in TW1 after beating the Beast? I can keep her alive through that, but then the villagers rush up, and Geralt just says okay we're done here, sheaths his sword while they just gang up on her.

Been a while but I thought once you make the choice to not hand her over to the villagers, you basically have to slaughter them all.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
If you find out the full truth about what happened, you get this :krad: scene where Geralt threatens the gently caress out of the villagers, and then waltzes right past them with Abigail in tow.

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

Karl Sharks posted:

Hopefully it's okay to ask here, but any advice on how to keep Abigail alive in TW1 after beating the Beast? I can keep her alive through that, but then the villagers rush up, and Geralt just says okay we're done here, sheaths his sword while they just gang up on her. It does some cutscene while I can hear them cutting off her limbs and then when I can do anything she's already dead. Surely that's not supposed to happen, yet each time I keep her alive through the beast fight, that happens.

Yeah, I'm at the end of Chapter 2, so that's fairly recent for me. I kept restarting that battle but after four or five times, I realized there was no way I could save. Fortunately, she's just knocked out.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Rdubs posted:

Been a while but I thought once you make the choice to not hand her over to the villagers, you basically have to slaughter them all.

Yeah, as I said the issue was I thought they were slaughtering her before I had a chance to kill them.

Coughing Hobo posted:

If you find out the full truth about what happened, you get this :krad: scene where Geralt threatens the gently caress out of the villagers, and then waltzes right past them with Abigail in tow.

Yeah, he told them the gently caress off, it was great.

Valiant Pudding
Dec 31, 2007
With raisins!
I just finished the prologue and I'm in the fisher village or whatever it is. I think the combat is absolutely great compared to Witcher 1. Should I be holding onto all my crafting/alchemy ingredients all the time? I got of the boat and was already over encumbered. I've got like 50+ pieces of leather weighing 35 pounds or something...

(I already installed the mod to bring the weight limit up to 500 :()

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Valiant Pudding posted:

I just finished the prologue and I'm in the fisher village or whatever it is. I think the combat is absolutely great compared to Witcher 1. Should I be holding onto all my crafting/alchemy ingredients all the time? I got of the boat and was already over encumbered. I've got like 50+ pieces of leather weighing 35 pounds or something...

There's storage in the inn, go down to the basement, it's next to the bar.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Valiant Pudding posted:

95% of what you'll craft is potions and bombs, so no need to carry around too much leather/wood/non-meteorite ore. And when you notice you have 80 Nekker teeth (this will happen), make a bunch of potions/bombs with them, since heavy ingredients don't result in heavier potions.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Instead of the mod that brings your carry limit to 500, install the ones that makes crafting materials weigh 0.1 lbs.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Instead of the mod that brings your carry limit to 500, install the ones that makes crafting materials weigh 0.1 lbs.

Yes, just do this. It's easier, you don't have to worry about whether nekker spleens will be useful so you can just carry them. May as well increase the carry limit at the same time, though, unless you think inventory management because of weight limits is fun.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

monster on a stick posted:

Yes, just do this. It's easier, you don't have to worry about whether nekker spleens will be useful so you can just carry them. May as well increase the carry limit at the same time, though, unless you think inventory management because of weight limits is fun.

The inventory mgmt in w2 is really not much fun, so yeah, mod it out.

buildmorefarms
Aug 13, 2004

любоваться
Doctor Rope
German Geralt best Geralt, same voice actor as the previous two games.

German e3 trailer (same footage, just dubbed)

Listen to that voice, aaag

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

The inventory mgmt in w2 is really not much fun, so yeah, mod it out.

I think I'd omit "in w2"; I've yet to play an RPG where inventory management is fun. It wasn't in DAO, it certainly wasn't in ME1.

If TW3 has a "turn vendor junk into gold automatically" setting then sign me up for a preorder.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

monster on a stick posted:

I think I'd omit "in w2"; I've yet to play an RPG where inventory management is fun. It wasn't in DAO, it certainly wasn't in ME1.

If TW3 has a "turn vendor junk into gold automatically" setting then sign me up for a preorder.

What about inventory tetris in SS2 and DX? :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Exclusive X1 footage of W3 going on right now on the Microsoft E3 briefing.

I'm totally not biased, but it looks loving badass.

• Locked thread