Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Flameingblack posted:

Hawkeye, Daredevil, Journey Into Mystery, FF, Thor: God of Thunder, Avengers, New Avengers and Deadpool are all really good.

It's probably easier to tell you what to avoid, and you just pick your favorite characters, most of it's so good.

Yeah, Marvel is in such a good place creatively right now that I think the list of stuff to avoid is many many times shorter than the list of stuff to check out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Deadpool posted:

Yeah, Marvel is in such a good place creatively right now that I think the list of stuff to avoid is many many times shorter than the list of stuff to check out.
I don't think I've ever been reading comics at a time where almost everything one company puts out is just spectacular. There's less than 5 "avoids" on my list of Marvel Now! titles from beginning to now, and the rest range from "Worth a read" to "Absolute must buy"

There's something for everyone, there's absolutely no way you can't find at least 3 things to put on your pull list from Marvel Now if you read comics at all, and the best part is how diverse everything is. There's something for everyone, and most of it is really not offensive at all. I've never bought so many on-goings in one month before. And every new Marvel Now! title just keeps getting great, the latest launch (Moon Knight, Magneto, Daredevil's relaunch, Ghost Rider) have all been drat good.

bobkatt013 posted:

It's so good that I forgot to recommend Secret Avengers. For the first time since Ellis it's worth reading.
That's not an insult to Secret Avengers for being forgettable, it's a praise to all of Marvel for being so drat worth reading. Thunderbolts got really good, as well.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jun 8, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
It's so good that I forgot to recommend Secret Avengers. For the first time since Ellis it's worth reading.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
the interruption of so many of the good titles so that Original Sin can happen makes me a sad :(

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

ronya posted:

the interruption of so many of the good titles so that Original Sin can happen makes me a sad :(

The structure of Original Sin, to be fair, does seem to lend itself nicely to tie-ins - not quite the infamous "red skies Crisis tie-ins" but as close as you can get while still being halfway decent.

That is to say, the tie-in issues are all about "secrets get revealed." The writers have known this poo poo is coming for ages now; you think they haven't planned it out? Hell, Bendis is apparently finally getting around to the reveal of 'How I Invalidated The End Of The Thanos Imperative' in the Guardians of the Galaxy tie-ins, just as an example.

I mean, it's comic books. "Secrets get revealed!" is a thing that happens in almost every comic story ever. Mandating that books have a Reveal Some Secrets Event is kind of like mandating that 'this month, all the books have to contain a gratuitous fight scene' or 'this month, a horrible spine-warping malady forces female characters into unrealistic positions where the reader can see their tits and their rear end at the same time.' It's poo poo that's gonna happen anyways, just with a sweet-looking branding.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, as far as events interrupting other books go, this one is fairly tame so far.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
that's really the laziest way to advance a plot or characterization though, which is why the Tony Stark Is Adopted Kinda Sorta No Not Really generated such a hullabaloo. No need to go encouraging it.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
If you look at it, though, most of the Original Sin reveals are touching off something that the writers put in place months or years ago. The Hulk and Spider-Man reveals are coming completely out of left field, yeah, but Mighty Avengers is using it as part of Ewing's larger plot about Blade and the Deadpool tie-in is dealing explicitly with leftover fallout from the "Good, The Bad & The Ugly" arc.

It's not much of a deviation from what's already going on.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So how's the Thanos Imperative been wrapped up then?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

ronya posted:

that's really the laziest way to advance a plot or characterization though, which is why the Tony Stark Is Adopted Kinda Sorta No Not Really generated such a hullabaloo. No need to go encouraging it.

The Avengers tie-in was exclusively dealing with a secret made in the first issue of the current run. Honestly, almost everything is pretty well done for this, and it's not like a line-wide sorta deal. You're not gonna get a tie-in issue about Kamala smoking weed (that was actually oregano) that one time or Hawkeye buying a gun. It all feels pretty organic for the most part.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
What was the secret for Spiderman? I know Hulk found out Tony was responsible for shooting him off planet.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

What was the secret for Spiderman? I know Hulk found out Tony was responsible for shooting him off planet.

Hulk already knew that. This secret is something different involving Stark and the gamma bomb that made Hulk.

Spidey's is about another person getting bit by the same spider that gave him his powers.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

Banner already knew the Illuminati were the ones that sent him off world, I think it's that Tony had something to do with his origin. I think the Spider-man one is that someone else got bit by his spider or something?

;EFB

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Ah so the issues involved that haven't been released? I'm interested to see the Spiderman one, and I'm already planning on the Hulks Vs Stark mini.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Wanderer posted:

If you look at it, though, most of the Original Sin reveals are touching off something that the writers put in place months or years ago. The Hulk and Spider-Man reveals are coming completely out of left field, yeah, but Mighty Avengers is using it as part of Ewing's larger plot about Blade and the Deadpool tie-in is dealing explicitly with leftover fallout from the "Good, The Bad & The Ugly" arc.

It's not much of a deviation from what's already going on.

The Hulk reveal isn't really that much out of left field. The Marvel Now relaunch focused a lot on how Banner is Jealous of Tony Stark. This is finally giving the Hulk an excuse to go after Tony for something he did in his gin sodden days.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Deadpool posted:

Can i ask what are the ones to avoid then? Just curious. It's just that I am still REALLY new to Marvel and am trying to fish out who I REALLY Like. THe only two I can say BUY NOW to are Captain America and Jubilee.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 8, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

Can i ask what are the ones to avoid then? Just curious. It's just that I am still REALLY new to Marvel and am trying to fish out who I REALLY Like. THe only two I can say BUY NOW to are Captain America and Jubilee.

Avengers Arena/Undercover, Fantastic Four, Indestructible Hulk/Hulk, Wolverine, Secret Avengers (although apparently that's gotten good), Thunderbolts (ditto), All-New Invaders.

People here have very divided opinions on All-New X-Men/Uncanny X-Men/X-Men (which has Jubilee in it)/Superior Spider-Man, but check 'em out and you might like them.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Fantastic Four was fine, it just really paled in comparison to FF. Indestructible Hulk started off really strong and I can wholeheartedly recommend at least until after the Simonson arc.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Hakkesshu posted:

Avengers Arena/Undercover, Fantastic Four, Indestructible Hulk/Hulk, Wolverine, Secret Avengers (although apparently that's gotten good), Thunderbolts (ditto), All-New Invaders.

People here have very divided opinions on All-New X-Men/Uncanny X-Men/X-Men (which has Jubilee in it)/Superior Spider-Man, but check 'em out and you might like them.

I really enjoy all New Invaders and Secret Avengers is on its third issue of volume 3 and really good. Thunderbolts got good once Way left and as for Fantastic Four its just boring.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I too really enjoy All-New Invaders. The only All-New title I don't care for so far is Ghost Rider but I accept that I'm in the minority there.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Edge & Christian posted:

Absolutely, just look at how it worked for...

James Gunn. But I would like to believe that the producers of a multi-million dollar movies with ties to a billion-dollar franchise looked more to his work as a director (Slither, Super, etc.) and to his possible treatment of the characters than a joke post he made on a blog years about which characters he'd gently caress, regardless if it was insensitive or not (I forgot, was the entry for gambit homophobic or something right? he used the term "fruitcake" or something?)

The other part of the joke was maybe Brian Singer being accused of having sex with an underage boy.

Brian Wood chat: I liked the first part of his viking comic but after hearing about the sexual harrasment I really soured on him as a writer and won't support a book by him.

edit:

Hakkesshu posted:

Secret Avengers (although apparently that's gotten good), Thunderbolts (ditto),
The new secret avengers series (the one with MODOK) is really fun and as for Thunderbolts, just pick up the issues with Charles Soule as a writer.

Gusano
Dec 15, 2013

Codependent Poster posted:

Spidey's is about another person getting bit by the same spider that gave him his powers.

I thought JMS had done that already in his run, with a guy named Ezekiel.

Am I wrong?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gusano posted:

I thought JMS had done that already in his run, with a guy named Ezekiel.

Am I wrong?

Yes you are. That was all the spider totem bullshit. People can talk all they want about how bad Sins Past, One More Day, or Superior are but I think the spider totem poo poo was the worst Spider-Man story I've ever read.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Hakkesshu posted:

Also Uncanny Avengers. I love the hell out of it, but I am biased. It is all over in quality, but Its really insane and it kind of reminds me of older Marvel stuff where they didn't really worry about "does it work?" and just went with it. It has some really great Thor action though.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I liked the JMS mythos, especially given how that was when I was starting to get into comics, as as a fan of fantasy, the ambiguiity if Peter was some kind of avatar or demigod was a interesting angle, even if it got more confusing as time went on. Plus, it's a lot less harmful then Norman's orgasms and undoing the childhoods of many fans born post 1987

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I agree. Totem stuff got weird towards the end but as a new Spider-man reader it was fresh, new, and interesting and the overall story made me a fan of the series.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Deadpool posted:

Yes you are. That was all the spider totem bullshit. People can talk all they want about how bad Sins Past, One More Day, or Superior are but I think the spider totem poo poo was the worst Spider-Man story I've ever read.

Then you must not have read many Spider-Man stories. I'll take mystical bullshit over a story with bad art and/or writing. Time has been harsh to it, but when it first came out it was the shot in the arm the series needed to take it into the new millenium.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

It's also one of the few runs that I really liked JRjr on.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The other wasn't long before OMD was it? Because I vaguely remember being super annoyed about all the different spidey titles when I started getting back into comics around that time but then BND came along and we had one book and everything was fun for a while.

The Superior Arc wasn't bad, but Slott's run as a whole is fairly disappointing. I'd say Superior has been the best part of it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Die Laughing posted:

Then you must not have read many Spider-Man stories. I'll take mystical bullshit over a story with bad art and/or writing. Time has been harsh to it, but when it first came out it was the shot in the arm the series needed to take it into the new millenium.

Spider-Man is one of the three characters I've read every single issue of since I was a little kid. Including every single issue of all the main 616 Spidey titles. Through all the good and bad writers Spidey is one of the few characters I follow no matter who the creative team is. So yeah, I've read pretty much every major Spidey story and the spider totem was what I consider to be the absolute worst.

But enough about Spider-Man. To keep on topic with this thread I just caught up on the latest Punisher book. I'm digging it so far, anybody else have any thoughts on it?

X-O fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jun 9, 2014

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
So you either don't remember chapter one or you are lying.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CharlestheHammer posted:

So you either don't remember chapter one or you are lying.

Eh, I throw that in the pile with something like a Spider-Man: Reign (which I do like quite a bit more than Chapter One which is just plain bad) in that I don't really consider it anything more than a "What if" of sorts so I don't really care about it and likely wouldn't ever read it again.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah like 50% of what makes Chapter One so insulting is knowing that Byrne thought he was Officially and Permanently rewriting the character's early history, aka some of the best comics of all time. It's pretty lovely on its own, but knowing the sheer hubris of the writer makes it Super lovely. It's kinda lost some of its venom now that it's a forgotten failed experiment.

I was never too fond of the totem stuff but some very good stories came out of it, just like the Clone Saga, so it's more of a mixed bag for me than a "gently caress this bullshit". I'll take a premise I dislike written well over a premise I love written poorly, which describes Dan Slott's entire run.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 9, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
And people think my hatred of Byrne is creepy.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

And people think my hatred of Byrne is creepy.

I hate Byrne mostly for their opinions but the terrible personality seeping into the actual work is even worse.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
I didnt hate the spider totem stuff. It was different.

Kinda the same reason I dig the Lemire Green Arrow run.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Was Spider-Man Chapter 1 the one where it was only 99 cents for each issue? I remember getting the first issue when I was a kid since I was happy to get a comic for so cheap, but I honestly don't remember the issue.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rirse posted:

Was Spider-Man Chapter 1 the one where it was only 99 cents for each issue? I remember getting the first issue when I was a kid since I was happy to get a comic for so cheap, but I honestly don't remember the issue.

That was the often fantastic Untold Tales of Spider-man by Kurt Busiek.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Untold Tales was like the opposite of Chapter One in every way imaginable. I wish the series had never ended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

Untold Tales was like the opposite of Chapter One in every way imaginable. I wish the series had never ended.

Not to get too Spider-Many in the non Spider-Man thread but if we're talking good Spidey books that we wish never ended (and I agree with you on that choice) I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Marvel Age/Adventures Spider-Man. Yeah, it was an all audiences kid friendly book that had its own weird continuity, but it was also often really fun. Especially the stuff written by Fred Van Lente. In fact that whole line of books is kind of a little forgotten treasure. I really enjoyed the Fantastic Four and Hulk books too.

• Locked thread