Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
A joke from a grower that idiotsavant will get:

"You see all those stickers on cars that say 26.2? I always thought that was bragging about their favorite brix."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Its a little overripe, no?

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

In Lodi, that sells.

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

I SHOULD GO AND GET FUCKED
We get our 19 brix and we like it. :colbert:

Loud Mouse
Dec 19, 2008

MY WILL IS THE CHEESE CLUB
NOTHING IS BETTER THAN CHEESE

I recently learned that two buck chuck is made by Franzia.

Also, do any of you know of a decent pinot noir around $10?

I used to really like pinot, but recently I've had bad luck, probably directly related to my budget. Still, the last one I drank tasted like paint thinner and cost me $15. I couldn't even finish the glass.

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002

Loud Mouse posted:

I used to really like pinot, but recently I've had bad luck, probably directly related to my budget. Still, the last one I drank tasted like paint thinner and cost me $15. I couldn't even finish the glass.

Pinot Noir is notoriously fickle to grow. It's also commonly put into some percent of new oak. Both of these factors combine to create an elevated price for decent examples. That being said, I have had a couple enjoyable cheaper bottles. I've legitimately enjoyed Estancia's Pinot on occasion. Siduri's generic Sonoma offering is around $20 and pretty tasty.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I picked this guy up at my last trip to the store (drinking it now) and holy poo poo I'm loving it:

http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=1462220

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Loud Mouse posted:

If you want Pinot that tastes like Pinot, $10 won't get you far, especially not from the States.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
All joking aside about Lodi, I had some amazing wines while I was out there, and was particularly impressed by the various whites and rosés that were made in a Southern French/Italian style. For instance, and not to plug my site, but Acquiesce makes white Rhône-style wines that are fantastic. Granted, the plots of old vine Zin are paying the rent, but they're ripping out some of those vines to grow more delicate grapes. The guy from Bokisch has 20 acres of Dornfelder and has a buyer for all of it. Yes, Lodi is still supplying mass juice for generic California wine, but there is some serious appreciation of fine wine in the area and they have the cash to make it happen. Also, they have the crazy benefit of long family dynasties that have been growing wine grapes nonstop since just after the Civil War. Their location near major rail lines meant that they could ship raw grapes east during Prohibition (since it was legal to make certain quantities of wine for home use). Tons and tons of Lodi grapes hit the Italian and German immigrant communities in Chicago, New York, Philadelphia, etc.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

idiotsavant posted:

If you want Pinot that tastes like Pinot, $10 won't get you far, especially not from the States.

I agree completely. If you want to spend $10 on a bottle of wine that won't taste like crap and might actually be good, go for pretty much anything from Spain. Red, white, pink, sparkling... You'll get something that is drinkable, enjoyable, and will match well with a broad range of foods. Decent Pinot Noir will set you back a bit more regardless of the region.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

benito posted:

I agree completely. If you want to spend $10 on a bottle of wine that won't taste like crap and might actually be good, go for pretty much anything from Spain. Red, white, pink, sparkling... You'll get something that is drinkable, enjoyable, and will match well with a broad range of foods. Decent Pinot Noir will set you back a bit more regardless of the region.

Spain is still a go-to for European value, although I would add the South of France to that. Although you may have to bump that up to $15.

I'm a big fan of a Puydeval, an inexpensive little Cab Franc dominate blend. It's made by some American dude, so it's juicy, but herbaceous and spicy all at the same time.

I've noticed that my clients will bitch and moan about a Cabernet that is $14 wholesale when they think it should be $13, but if I say "Hey I have this awesome $43 Pinot Noir" they don't even bat an eyelash before buying it.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Overwined posted:

Spain is still a go-to for European value, although I would add the South of France to that. Although you may have to bump that up to $15.

I don't talk about this a lot, but if you know your wine France is almost always the best bang for your buck. You'll find retailers who are trying to make a fortune on the high-end stuff but are seriously underpricing treasures like Cru Beaujolais and Crémant de Bourgogne, or even oddities like Crémant de Limoux. Not to mention the spectacular Alsatian whites in the east that look like German wines (but aren't Riesling).

Question for the wine fans here who know their French wines:

I've got a bottle of Banyuls waiting to be sampled, from M. Chapoutier. I've had several bottles of Banyuls in the past at tastings, but really want to find some way to make this one shine. Right now I'm leaning towards bleu cheese and dried figs. Others have said that it is the only wine they pair with chocolate. Curious to hear what you folks think.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Sticky date pudding would be my choice.

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002
Absolutely chocolate. Must do chocolate. It's so good. I used to pair that exact bottle with a chocolate dessert. A chocolate dessert with cherries or oranges in some fashion is extra special.

Loud Mouse
Dec 19, 2008

benito posted:

Overwined posted:

I'm a big fan of a Puydeval, an inexpensive little Cab Franc dominate blend. It's made by some American dude, so it's juicy, but herbaceous and spicy all at the same time.

I've noticed that my clients will bitch and moan about a Cabernet that is $14 wholesale when they think it should be $13, but if I say "Hey I have this awesome $43 Pinot Noir" they don't even bat an eyelash before buying it.

Thanks guys. I'll take all this into consideration when I head to the wine store later.

It's hard to do wine on a budget, and eventually I'll save up for a really nice bottle, but for now I'll keep learning what I can with the cheaper stuff.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Loud Mouse posted:

Thanks guys. I'll take all this into consideration when I head to the wine store later.

It's hard to do wine on a budget, and eventually I'll save up for a really nice bottle, but for now I'll keep learning what I can with the cheaper stuff.

You can find stuff out there for $15-20 a bottle that'll give you an idea of what Pinot should taste like. It won't be insane amazing Pinot, but it'll be solid, enjoyable wine. That's pretty specific to Pinot noir, though. If you just want some good red wine, there are all sorts of wines out there that you can get for under $15 that'll be interesting and nice. You have to have an idea of what you're looking for, but it's way doable.

If you're just starting out, rally some friends up and taste a few bottles together. That way you pool your money, so buying something for $30 or $40 won't be so painful. Definitely theme your tastings; you'll get way, way more out of it. Go by grape, area, or both. For example Sauvingon blanc from Cali, France, and New Zealand. Or Sauvingon blanc from different areas of France alone. Or a few examples of Sauv blanc from a single area, like Pouilly Fume, Sancerre, etc.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Loud Mouse posted:

Try to go to as many free or inexpensive tastings as you can. A truly great wine can smell like horse manure, cat's pee, or tobacco (and that's not a bad thing, but a scent of wet cardboard is a big problem). Don't save up for a bottle until you find out what you like, and also know that when you're shelling out the extra dollars you might have to wait a while (and store it properly) before you can enjoy the wine as it is meant to be consumed. If the idea of a white wine that smells like wet rocks and gasoline turns you off, don't buy a $50 German Riesling. Keep tasting and you'll start to dial in your preferences and what clicks with your palate. There are plenty of $10-20 satisfactory table wines out there that are worth trying. Check out my friend Jon's wine blog, where he specializes in wines under $20.

Loud Mouse
Dec 19, 2008

benito posted:

Try to go to as many free or inexpensive tastings as you can. A truly great wine can smell like horse manure, cat's pee, or tobacco (and that's not a bad thing, but a scent of wet cardboard is a big problem). Don't save up for a bottle until you find out what you like, and also know that when you're shelling out the extra dollars you might have to wait a while (and store it properly) before you can enjoy the wine as it is meant to be consumed. If the idea of a white wine that smells like wet rocks and gasoline turns you off, don't buy a $50 German Riesling. Keep tasting and you'll start to dial in your preferences and what clicks with your palate. There are plenty of $10-20 satisfactory table wines out there that are worth trying. Check out my friend Jon's wine blog, where he specializes in wines under $20.

Yeah, there are a lot of big wine stores and specialty groceries that do tasting events for $10 or less. And I am very close to where all the tasting rooms are for the Washington vinyards, but those are generally $10-$15/place. Your fee goes towards your bottle though if you decide to buy one, so that's pretty cool.

I took a look at your friends blog and one of the first reviews is a $7.99 pinot noir from trader joes. So I will run over there and pick it up after work and see if it is any good.

weird
Jun 4, 2012

by zen death robot
Sticky date pudding would be my choice.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
The thing about $7.99 Pinot noir from Trader Joe's is that the wine likely won't give you any clue about Pinot noir. It'll taste like red wine, and it probably won't be bad red wine, but it won't give you any true sense of the grape variety itself. If you're just getting jnto wine don't worry about it - try the wine, have it with some food, see what you think. Just don't read into it very much. I'd really recommend Drink This by Dara Moskowitz as a beginner primer. It's pretty basic, but it's an easy, newbie-friendly starting book.

Once you get more focused on learning about regions, grape varieties, and so on, maybe start a monthly/bi-monthly tasting budget and find a wine shop you like that can help you explore a little. Eric Asimov is currently running a series of tasting articles in the New York times; they're really, really good for learning about major wine regions and styles. And Wine Atlas of the World is really useful for keeping track of where your wines are from.

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

Just completed the CMS Advanced Course. A lot of fun, some really delicious wines (Ravenau Montmains, Terrantez Madeira), and very helpful. If anybody has any questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

Loud Mouse posted:

Late reply, but: Cono Sur Bicicleta Pinot Noir is far and away the best inexpensive pinot I've had. At ~$10, it beats out 99% of bottles running for twice that. Unquestionably new world, but with some savoury edge that many NW pinots lack, and excellent concentration for the price.

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002
Very cool Kasumeat, are you sitting for the exam as well? If so best of luck. If you have any questions about the exam itself I'd be happy to help.

I'm also curious what you do if you don't mind me asking, are you working a floor as a somm?

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

Crimson posted:

Very cool Kasumeat, are you sitting for the exam as well? If so best of luck. If you have any questions about the exam itself I'd be happy to help.

I'm also curious what you do if you don't mind me asking, are you working a floor as a somm?

Waitlisted at the moment. Considering literally half of the ~120 people at the course are as well, I think next year is more likely.

I recently left my job where I worked the floor as a somm/bartender/server at a very small restaurant. Despite really enjoying it, it wasn't fine dining and I'll be moving to a more dedicated somm position in a fine dining restaurant in preparation to write for next year.

Thanks for offering your advice, I appreciate it. You already helped me out a lot with my questions in a previous post, but if I have more I'll let you know.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
I'm visit Los Angeles this month and my wife and I are giant fans of Madeira wine. Last time we were in California we got some really nice bottles from Napa.

Is there anything comparable in the LA area? It doesn't have to be super exceptional but we'd be ecstatic if there were. We are from Pennsylvania and our wine selection is... Limited.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
California doesn't have a very limited liquor selection, so you should be able to find some Rare Wine Co Madeira pretty easily. Awesome quality for the price.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hi guys, I'm touring around Europe and would like some recommendations for local or less well known wines n

Right now I'm in Milan, will be near Venice and Bologne.

In Germany I will be in Stuttgart, Nuremburg, Dresden, and Berlin.

Finally in Amsterdam and rotterdam.

Luckily this time I got a checked bag. Luggage limits be damned!

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

idiotsavant posted:

California doesn't have a very limited liquor selection, so you should be able to find some Rare Wine Co Madeira pretty easily. Awesome quality for the price.

I can get that in PA in theory.... would have to do a special order though!

I guess what I'm asking is in the LA area, would there be a particularly worthwhile winery to stop at to get a Madeira that I literally couldn't get on the east coast?

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Insane Totoro posted:

I guess what I'm asking is in the LA area, would there be a particularly worthwhile winery to stop at to get a Madeira that I literally couldn't get on the east coast?

My friend manages a cool wine shop in LA. The Wine Country is in Signal Hill, and Samantha is a Madeira enthusiast. Tell her I sent you.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Insane Totoro posted:

You're mixing up
Madeira http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madeira_wine
and
Madera http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madera_AVA
maybe?

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002

Insane Totoro posted:

To be more clear, Madeira only comes from the tiny Portuguese island. I can't even recall if I've ever had a wine from elsewhere that was even trying to emulate their "cooked" wine style. It's singular and unique.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Crimson posted:

To be more clear, Madeira only comes from the tiny Portuguese island. I can't even recall if I've ever had a wine from elsewhere that was even trying to emulate their "cooked" wine style. It's singular and unique.

California Madeira is a real thing, though I've never had it before. My advice to the gentleman above was based on the idea that he was looking for true Madeira that he couldn't find out east. If you ask my friend for California Madeira, she'll probably slap you.

Dig back in the history and you'll find that practically any type of wine with any EU-controlled name has probably been made in California at some point. The Golden State used to be really proud of their Tokay, Champagne, Burgundy, etc. The Port wars are still going on.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

quote:

The Port wars are still going on.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...aguardente fires off the shoulder of Orion...Zinfandel and Bastardo trod into port by the Tannhäuser gate...all these moments will be lost in litigation...like fine California Champagne. Time to die...

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
Luke: No, my father didn't fight in the Port Wars. He was a driver on a grape harvester.

Obi-Wan: That's what your uncle told you. He didn't hold with your father's ideals; he felt he should've stayed here and not gotten involved.

Luke: You fought in the Port Wars?

Obi-Wan: Yes. I was once an enólogo, the same as your father.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

benito posted:

California Madeira is a real thing, though I've never had it before. My advice to the gentleman above was based on the idea that he was looking for true Madeira that he couldn't find out east. If you ask my friend for California Madeira, she'll probably slap you.

Dig back in the history and you'll find that practically any type of wine with any EU-controlled name has probably been made in California at some point. The Golden State used to be really proud of their Tokay, Champagne, Burgundy, etc. The Port wars are still going on.

All joking aside I really liked V.Sattui and I was wondering if there was a southern CA equivalent. I'm just kind of kicking myself for not spending the money when I was there in Napa last year.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

I don't know anything about wine, but I know this is the best thing I have ever tasted. I joined their wine club just to buy lots of it. :homebrew:

The Rose of Mourvedre is yummy, too.

Any other recommendations for Mourvedres?

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
Mourvedre is one of the main grapes in Provence. If you don't mind something a bit spendy, you could try the Domaine Tempier Bandol red.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Okay then let's assume that my quest for a California Madeira is somehow misguided. Is there a good California produced Port that I could find say in Temecula? Or is that a fool's errand too?

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002

Insane Totoro posted:

Okay then let's assume that my quest for a California Madeira is somehow misguided. Is there a good California produced Port that I could find say in Temecula? Or is that a fool's errand too?

Foot Path Winery makes some tasty dessert wines from Zin.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Insane Totoro posted:

One minor obstacle you'll run into is that thanks to the TTB labeling laws and pressure from the EU, you can make a fortified wine in California but you can't call it Port (unless you're grandfathered in). I've had a Port-style wine from Bogle, this cleverly named one from Peltier Station, and a few others. Petite Sirah and Zinfandel work pretty well for that style of wine (though obviously different from the Portuguese versions). But all of those are made a lot further north than Temecula. Your best bet is to look for some good local wine shops who might be able to steer you towards something unique that isn't widely distributed out of the state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

benito posted:

One minor obstacle you'll run into is that thanks to the TTB labeling laws and pressure from the EU, you can make a fortified wine in California but you can't call it Port (unless you're grandfathered in). I've had a Port-style wine from Bogle, this cleverly named one from Peltier Station, and a few others. Petite Sirah and Zinfandel work pretty well for that style of wine (though obviously different from the Portuguese versions). But all of those are made a lot further north than Temecula. Your best bet is to look for some good local wine shops who might be able to steer you towards something unique that isn't widely distributed out of the state.

I basically browsed every vineyard in Temecula and the surrounding area and found that you're right, it's basically never labeled as "Port" or "Maderia."

The waifu and I wanted to have dinner here at this winery and they had this Muscat wine fortified with grape brandy.
http://store.wineresort.com/cart/prod/Daybreak__NVDAYBREAK-1.aspx

Close. But not a "real Madeira" as we have been discussing.

http://www.leonesscellars.com/prod-355246/2006-Cinsaut-Dessert-Wine.html
http://store.tesorowinery.com/dessert-wines-c3.aspx

Might give these guys a tasting too.