Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

cremnob posted:

Nearby lets you connect, share, and do more with people, places, and things near you.

When Nearby is turned on for your account, Google can periodically turn on the mic, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and similar features on all your current and future devices. Google+ and other Google services need this access to help you connect, share, and more.

When you turn on Nearby, you're also turning on Location History for your account and Location Reporting for this device. Google needs these services to periodically store your location data for use by Nearby, other Google services, and more.

wait this is for real?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

yep rip

Syncopated posted:

wait this is for real?

idg what you're upset about theres been apps like that around for a long time

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

quote:

For the ubercool interactive charts, you need to install the Adobe Flash Player

lmao @ google finance

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Nintendo Kid posted:

yep rip

idg what you're upset about theres been apps like that around for a long time

i was going to install twitter on my phone but got spooked by the list of accesses it wanted. it sounded like it would tweet for you and harass people you knew

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Last Chance posted:

lmao @ google finance

nobody has worked on that thing for years. it will probly be killed soon

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

prefect posted:

i was going to install twitter on my phone but got spooked by the list of accesses it wanted. it sounded like it would tweet for you and harass people you knew

the tweeting for you thing is in the context of other applications having a share to twitter intent

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

cremnob posted:

the goog finance widgets are actually really well done

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

cremnob posted:

Hopefully you'll be next? lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Citizen Tayne posted:

Hopefully you'll be next? lol

:newlol:

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

lol top story on HN and all the nerds who would regularly be google apologists have turned against them. people are slowly starting to realize that google is the new microsoft

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=7861874

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
wtf is HN you keep mentioning it

harvey norman?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

its a news aggregation site by and for idiot web developer and founders

ufarn
May 30, 2009

saucepanman posted:

harvey norman?
please let me into this dreamworld where hacker news and paul graham don't exist

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Apple’s Tim Cook got Beats. Now it is Larry Page’s turn to go shopping.

Music industry sources say Google is in the market for a streaming music service and has been quietly surveying the landscape as the sector explodes.

Although there are no official talks between parties, one source said: “They’ve been having discussions with banks about how they’re shaping their future music strategy.”

Google Play Music All Access, the company’s current subscription streaming service, has some obvious branding issues versus the competition. No short and snappy name or famous face like Dr. Dre to help market the product.

Meanwhile, YouTube, which is owned by Google, is set to create an internal rival, called “Music Pass,” with the aim of an October launch date on another subscription streaming service, sources said.

http://nypost.com/2014/06/04/google-in-the-market-for-streaming-music-service/

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

lmao so that would be 3 music streaming services with the youtube option??

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

saucepanman posted:

harvey norman?

headline news

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
google's gonna buy spotify and lots of people will get mad

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
yospos will get mad, normal people don't give a gently caress about google they just use whatever

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

spongeh posted:

yospos will get mad, normal people don't give a gently caress about google they just use whatever

it's google, they'd buy it and then shut it down for no discernible reason

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

hobbesmaster posted:

it competes with youtube so they would definitely stamp it out and then fire all the people that used to work for spotify, rape their families and then kill their parents (and pee on the corpses)

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i use pandora, but not spotify

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

ufarn posted:

please let me into this dreamworld where hacker news and paul graham don't exist

i dont rly know what hacker news is and idk at all what paul graham is

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

ufarn posted:

i dont read pisstrash for idiots

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
its sad to see so many beta bitches embarrassing themselves trying to attack yosposs best poster and my close personal friend cremnob

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

poty posted:

its sad to see so many beta bitches embarrassing themselves trying to attack yosposs best poster and my close personal friend cremnob

/

poty
Jun 21, 2008

i mean guys we all know google is monitoring everything we do and say itt as well as at any other loving point in our lives but theyre not gonna give you a six figure salary just because you whiteknight them here sorry to inform u

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

hobbesmaster posted:

well with spotify it would actually be a good choice b/c the spotify is a money bonfire.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
i pay for the premium spotify mostly bc i get zero receiption at my desk at work (when im not workin from home) and its nice to be able to dlownlid like 5 albums and listen to them on my iphone when i do go in, and i can use it in my car

the 10 or 12$ a month is pretty much worth not having to waste time trying to download poo poo

spotify does have a complete poo poo interface though and i wish i could browse bands alphabetically or something instead of trying to think of something i want to listen to and search for it

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

oh I use and pay for spotify, i just think it is hilarious how much money they are burning through with no real chance at profitability because they are giving out so much for free and really really hoping that people will pay for their service when *surprise* converting free users to paying customers is pretty much an tech fairy tale.

it isn't just their UI that's awful either their entire media library clearly has issues that they are just starting to clean up. If a band had an & or "and" in the name their catalog would nearly always be split between an entry with and & and an entry using "and", which was ton of fun for something like "Margot & The Nuclear So and So's" which was split four ways for years.

like their main chance was to get bought out by apple or google but there is no way in hell apple would touch that UI/library dumpster fire and cash flow abomination and google just rolled out their own all access thing instead. maybe facebook or twitter will try?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Shifty Pony posted:

apple would touch that UI/library dumpster fire

so true they already have the iTunes UI/library tire fire

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

theadder posted:

i dont rly know what hacker news is and idk at all what paul graham is

a mixture of slashdot and reddit, for worse people than either.

home of unironic statements like "I'll often drop down to node.js if I really need to be close to the metal"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Shifty Pony posted:

oh I use and pay for spotify, i just think it is hilarious how much money they are burning through with no real chance at profitability because they are giving out so much for free and really really hoping that people will pay for their service when *surprise* converting free users to paying customers is pretty much an tech fairy tale.

it isn't just their UI that's awful either their entire media library clearly has issues that they are just starting to clean up. If a band had an & or "and" in the name their catalog would nearly always be split between an entry with and & and an entry using "and", which was ton of fun for something like "Margot & The Nuclear So and So's" which was split four ways for years.

like their main chance was to get bought out by apple or google but there is no way in hell apple would touch that UI/library dumpster fire and cash flow abomination and google just rolled out their own all access thing instead. maybe facebook or twitter will try?

the metadata the companies get from labels is utter poo poo, we had to do so much normalization at my old job

we had entire systems to fix their metadata and keep it fixed so the next update wouldnt gently caress it over again

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Mad Wack posted:

so true they already have the iTunes UI/library tire fire
one of the better explanations for the beats purchase ive read was that apple has given up trying to fix the useability tarpit that is itunes and are planning on using beats music as the core of its replacement

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

poty posted:

i mean guys we all know google is monitoring everything we do and say itt as well as at any other loving point in our lives but theyre not gonna give you a six figure salary just because you whiteknight them here sorry to inform u

uhhh i'll have you know i own stocks in stuff this makes me more qualified than you to speak about tech

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

index funds ftw

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

poty posted:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Google and Android FTW

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

poty posted:

:byob1:

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

crosspostin for scrooglin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

wall street finally heard the news about steve

• Locked thread