Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TurboPriest
Aug 30, 2012
Today in friendly souls

(they brutally murder us after that)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Internet Kraken posted:

Speaking of which, how come none of you bell cops ever use Velstadt's hammer? Its a giant loving bell. That should be your dream weapon.

The bell does not ring at all when the player character uses it. :negative:

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Since I started playing Bellburner Kea, I've gotten multiple people friending me on Steam to say "hey, that's awesome!" but a lot more bitching at me for "ruining" their PvP or whatever. It's really funny that people get so upset that I basically do nothing but take away an easy win from them.

Sometimes hosts don't realize I'm there to save them, but hey, you win some, you kill some.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

turtlecrunch posted:

The bell does not ring at all when the player character uses it. :negative:

Wow that's bullshit. Does the ranged strong attack at least make a ringing sound like when Velstadt uses it?

EDIT: I can not spell that guys name right ever. I want to just call him Garl instead.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jun 9, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Wow that's bullshit. Does the ranged strong attack at least make a ringing sound like when Velstadt uses it?

Nope. Could always use Mace of the Insolent if you want ringing on hit.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

RBA Starblade posted:

After a while it also prevents you from playing with anyone too though. I didn't grind or anything, just did some pvp then some pve. 6 million and up shouldn't be too high for NG+ (I finished at 7.7 mil).

e: Both Throne Watcher and Defender armors are cool, and go great with faraam, king's, ruin, and steel sets. I keep mixing it up! I'm ready for NG+ DLC now.

How does being at 6 mil or even 7.7 million prevent you from playing with anyone after a while? Doesn't the range for ng+ go to whatever the max ng+ is? I don't think there is an SM bracket for every playthrough, only a distinction between first and multiple playthroughs.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Bob NewSCART posted:

How does being at 6 mil or even 7.7 million prevent you from playing with anyone after a while? Doesn't the range for ng+ go to whatever the max ng+ is? I don't think there is an SM bracket for every playthrough, only a distinction between first and multiple playthroughs.

I'm at 10 mil+ in NG+ and I get PvP all the time in the belfries. v:shobon:v

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Genocyber posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOSq0wu5CRM

This guy's channel is a good example of why SM (or really, being able to level really high at all) is pretty terrible.
Soul Memory is terrible but where is this fighting taking place? I don't remember a room like that :(

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
How do you deal with someone who won't stop moving and flipping away? This one guy was constantly just out of range whenever I try to attack, he dodged EVERY spell I tried to use, and was constantly slipping around corners to block line of sight. It was the most aggravating game of keep-away and I don't know what I could have done to actually touch the bastard.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cyberventurer posted:

How do you deal with someone who won't stop moving and flipping away? This one guy was constantly just out of range whenever I try to attack, he dodged EVERY spell I tried to use, and was constantly slipping around corners to block line of sight. It was the most aggravating game of keep-away and I don't know what I could have done to actually touch the bastard.

Anticipate his roll and alter your attack timing. For example, do a running attack a couple of times, then do the same but delay the actual attack by a bit. Stuff like that.

Relin posted:

Soul Memory is terrible but where is this fighting taking place? I don't remember a room like that :(

Bloodbro arena

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

"Dragon Aerie" more like "Dragons, eeeeeee!" :3:

Thanks to Aldia's Keep and Dragon Aerie I am now swimming in Petrified Dragon Bones. What should I upgrade-- my Pursuer's UGS to +5 or my Dragonrider Bow to +4?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Ascetic it again and upgrade both.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

So I have some good news!

From was smart this time! You can edit a resin to apply petrify status, but it is programmed to just not work on other players!

I know, I'm shocked too.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jun 9, 2014

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Tallgeese posted:

From was smart this time! You can edit a resin to apply petrify status, but it is programmed to just not work on other players!

I know, I'm shocked too.

Can you petrify NPCs or monsters? And if so, would they leave a statue other worlds could see?

burntpork
Jan 25, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

I know, I'm shocked too.

How about applying "curse" status to a player?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

burntpork posted:

How about applying "curse" status to a player?

You can apply curse. They just blocked petrify if and only if it comes from a player.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Curse isn't nearly as bad as it used to be in DS1 anyways. It just applies one level of hollowing when the bar fills up.

Imagine fighting Nashandra if curse was still insta-death :gonk:

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Tarezax posted:

Curse isn't nearly as bad as it used to be in DS1 anyways. It just applies one level of hollowing when the bar fills up.

Imagine fighting Nashandra if curse was still insta-death :gonk:

Maybe she actually would've been a good final boss fight then. :v:

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Spellcasters and arrow dudes would just do the same thing as always.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Man, using a Seed of the Giants in the Giants' room in Black Gulch along with Chameleon is just...it's just cruel, man. So many Blue Cops have been lured to an untimely demise that I feel like I'm playing Tecmo's Deception again.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Does the seed make mobs not aggro on you anymore? And does it last indefinitely (through multiple invasions) as long as you don't die or rest at a bonfire?

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Someone explain to me why you can stack a bunch of buffs so you barely take any damage but Ironflesh, a spell that makes you insufferably slow and completely unable to roll, barely mitigates any damage whatsoever.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

FlyinPingu posted:

Someone explain to me why you can stack a bunch of buffs so you barely take any damage but Ironflesh, a spell that makes you insufferably slow and completely unable to roll, barely mitigates any damage whatsoever.

Because Pyromancy is laden with spells of dubious usefulness. See also: Immolation.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

The live-action Dark Soulsers and whatever else it is they do did another video. This one's about rings!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

FlyinPingu posted:

Balance is hard :saddowns:

Really, From probably just doesn't want a repeat of iron flesh before it nerf in Dark Souls. So their solution was to make it completely useless :geno:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bob NewSCART posted:

By showing me two summon signs in 15 hours after hitting 6 million.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I still found plenty of signs and was invaded up to around ~10 million (which is where I stopped my first character). There aren't as many summon signs but that's to be expected. Most people just won't keep one character going that long. Hell, most people don't even get all the great souls before quitting.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Manatee Cannon posted:

I still found plenty of signs and was invaded up to around ~10 million (which is where I stopped my first character). There aren't as many summon signs but that's to be expected. Most people just won't keep one character going that long. Hell, most people don't even get all the great souls before quitting.
I think the ruin sentinals might make a lot of people quit on their own. :v:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Looking at the global achievements, most people actually finish Sinner's Rise (59.7%) but quit before collecting the other three great souls (all three hover in the high forties, Iron Keep is the one most people have completed and Black Gulch is the least). There is a fairly significant drop off from Last Giant (74%) to Sinner's Bonfire though. 43.6% of players have killed the Looking Glass Knight, 33.5% of players have finished the game at least once.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
Yeah, I'm really feeling a hit in terms of other player summons in NG+. Separating the SM pools out like this was smart, but the pool is so small in NG+ and onward compared to just NG that sometimes bites just don't happen. I'm not even particularly high in terms of SM, but the soul drops in NG+ are astronomical so that value inflates rather quickly.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I love soapstone reds who run off into enemy groupings. They're not even buffing or healing. Do they just not realize they have a timer? I wouldn't have summoned them if I didn't have tine on my hands.

Also holy poo poo parry shields are good.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

doomfunk posted:

Yeah, I'm really feeling a hit in terms of other player summons in NG+. Separating the SM pools out like this was smart, but the pool is so small in NG+ and onward compared to just NG that sometimes bites just don't happen. I'm not even particularly high in terms of SM, but the soul drops in NG+ are astronomical so that value inflates rather quickly.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like NG and NG+ should at the very least be able to summon each other.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Time_pants posted:

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like NG and NG+ should at the very least be able to summon each other.

I'd agree with this based purely on the fact that people tend to spend so, so long in the first cycle that they can accrue a few million souls, to the point that most people can just waltz through the Shrine of Winter as soon as they enter NG+.

Some of the people I know were up to 5, 6, even 8 million souls before they entered NG+. Crazy.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Sanctum posted:

Does the seed make mobs not aggro on you anymore? And does it last indefinitely (through multiple invasions) as long as you don't die or rest at a bonfire?

Nope, the mobs will still target you along with the phantoms; yes, it lasts through multiple invasions.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Colapops posted:

I'd agree with this based purely on the fact that people tend to spend so, so long in the first cycle that they can accrue a few million souls, to the point that most people can just waltz through the Shrine of Winter as soon as they enter NG+.

Some of the people I know were up to 5, 6, even 8 million souls before they entered NG+. Crazy.

Guilty as charged (I really wanted that Monastery Scimitar). Good thing all those hours I invested didn't end up being a complete waste of time.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Do I really got to spend one human effigiy for each time I wanna try beating Darklurker?!

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Colapops posted:

Actually, unless I'm dumb, your SM when you start NG+ and further doesn't matter. To open the Shrine of Winter, you still have to gain a fixed number of souls (1m multiplied by your game cycle?) in that current playthrough, regardless of starting with 100k or 50m SM.

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jun 9, 2014

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

VisAbsoluta posted:

Actually, unless I'm dumb, your SM when you start NG+ and further doesn't matter. To open the Shrine of Winter, you still have to gain a fixed number of souls (1m multiplied by your game cycle?) in that current playthrough, regardless of starting with 100k or 50m SM.

I am working only on what I've read, since I get all four great souls each time just for completion's sake. I am no expert!

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
You need 1m souls plus another million for every '+' you're in (2m for +, 3m for ++ etc.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

VisAbsoluta posted:

I have heard the same.