Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

idonotlikepeas posted:

It's definitely possible, but my current belief is that her main contribution is that she's a little girl and someone knew how Duane would react to that.

Sure, he would willingly assist a vulnerable little girl--but not to cross the continent to enter Cresce. If nothing else Sette contributed a vital skillset in being able to string Duane along the whole way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Well, this is a webcomic by an independent artist/author based on freaking RP stuff so it's not a typical boilerplate fantasy story, but if it was there is literally no way that Sette being obviously non-human doesn't factor into this main arc or only factors in as a coincidence.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 21, 2014

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I agree with that. I'm just not sure her mysterious attributes were a specific and deliberate part of Nary's plan. They've already borne some fruit, for instance, in her ability to walk in the Khert and see what was up with Duane - we're given the impression that this is not something most people would have been able to do. And almost certainly your average person wouldn't have been able to free Murkoph, which is likely to have implications down the road. But it's unlikely that either of those were things Nary intended to happen.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Gabriel Pope posted:

It does sound like it, but remember that we don't know if Stockyard has the whole story either. It sounds a lot like a line that was fed to him.

Yeah, there are (at least!) three separate stories about Duane, here:

1) The truth.

2) The story that Stockyard was told.

3) The story that Stockyard is telling Sette right now.

Those could all be the same thing! But given the characters involved, I wouldn't bet on it.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Fabricated posted:

Well, this is a webcomic by an independent artist/author based on freaking RP stuff so it's not a typical boilerplate fantasy story

there are lots of fantasy novels based on freaking RP stuff, they tend to be the boilerplatest

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Its kinda cool that that author can keep it fresh with audience expectations with this. Let's see where it goes.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Flavahbeast posted:

there are lots of fantasy novels based on freaking RP stuff, they tend to be the boilerplatest

You saying that made me think of two off hand: The Elder Scrolls and The Forgotten Realms. Not exactly novels themselves, but that doesn't mean they're against what your saying. :allears:

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Yeah that's not really an accurate comparison based of DND and based off internet freeform RP really aren't the same thing at all.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Jesus Sette's not taking the reveal too well.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

There's a definite irony in this scene - Stockyard may think Sette's been duped (and he's right), but he's been duped just as thoroughly, about Duane's nature and almost certainly about why he's being shipped and what happens next.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
...so Duane is being aimed at Alderode, via wartime Cresce--conveniently providing an obvious scapegoat for whatever the conspirators have in mind.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

This is gonna go twenty different kinds of horrible. People around Duane have had a pretty miserable track record for staying alive/in one piece when he's pissed off in their general vicinity.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

idonotlikepeas posted:

There's a definite irony in this scene - Stockyard may think Sette's been duped (and he's right), but he's been duped just as thoroughly, about Duane's nature and almost certainly about why he's being shipped and what happens next.

Yeah if anything I'm even MORE worried now. Now that it's clear Stockyard has no idea what the gently caress is going on either, I can only imagine this turning out even more horrible than we imagined :gonk:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
An anti-magic suit, yeah sure he'll just sit there and let you put it on him

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I love that after three years of reading it, this comic still manages to completely throw things for a loop while still clicking into place nicely. :allears:

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
My question is, why did they have to get him to Cresce before putting him in the torture suit? If they had the amulet all the way back in Sharteshane couldn't they just have imported the training mask and captured him then? Why did they have to trick him into going to the Nevergreen first?

All they have to do is wait until nighttime. Then the amulet can control him.

Fabricated posted:

I figured the whole deal was for the purposes of delivering Duane and/or Sette to someone. I can't believe that Sette was simply used to deliver him because Duane is a soft touch for disadvantaged children; she's got to be part of the deal for one of the parties involved in this unless Nary/et al are complete retards and don't really know what Sette is.

Part of me is afraid Sette is payment to Starfish, didn't the author say he's a pedo?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Well, this is all going very horrible, very quickly.

FourLeaf posted:

Part of me is afraid Sette is payment to Starfish, didn't the author say he's a pedo?

He's something anyway. Did you miss he bit where he was chewing on Matty's hair during the warehouse fight?

http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch06/ch06_65.html

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

Well, this is all going very horrible, very quickly.

He's something anyway. Did you miss he bit where he was chewing on Matty's hair during the warehouse fight?

http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch06/ch06_65.html

:stare: Yes, actually.

The author just posted this to her Tumblr:

quote:

Plods function via the masks they wear - the masks are the pymarics, and they work upon the corpse they’re placed upon. Stockyard’s training mask uses actual trace amounts of First Silver to - on command - feed stored memories of pain - emotional and physical - into the plod via the hooks, which punch right into the vertebrae of the neck and base of the skull.

The training masks never really had a point with actual plods, ‘cause you can’t “train” them - there’s no persistent mind there to condition. Creative ideas like these rise and are dismissed as revolutionary new technology comes into use in any society.

Since the training masks were made of such valuable materials though, once they were debunked they were readily taken apart and recycled. Stockyard finding one intact is a pretty lucky turn of events for him.

It's all becoming clear~

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Hahaha, Stockyard and co. are gonna get so loving owned when the poo poo inevitably hits the fan.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Yeah, between Duane and Toma those guys are about to have a lot of problems.

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries

I read a bit past this and... http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch06/ch06_79.html

"Stockyard needs that girl alive" - Seems to confirm that Sette is part of the deal as well :ohdear:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
In which Sette presents an argument.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Attagirl :unsmith:

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Annd.... done thinking about it!!

I love the pacing of this comic.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

I appreciate the intent there, Sette, but you might have waited to do that until you had a chance to warn Duane.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

idonotlikepeas posted:

I appreciate the intent there, Sette, but you might have waited to do that until you had a chance to warn Duane.

She thought about it, but some things are just more important.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Skippy McPants posted:

She thought about it, but some things are just more important.

Her next thoughts better be about that balcony then. Because I'm pretty sure that big guy and the caster lady are still in the room.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Her next thoughts better be about that balcony then. Because I'm pretty sure that big guy and the caster lady are still in the room.

Sette might actually have Stockyard over a barrel here. He's treating her like dirt even as he acknowledges that she's the only thing keeping Duane in check. If he cuts her up or something, Duane will just turn the Nevergreen and everyone there inside-out.

He can still threaten her by hanging Nary's approval over her head, but I doubt Sette's going to trust the opinion of anyone who says (truthfully or otherwise) that her Da doesn't give a rip about her.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

It would be kind of amazing if Stockyard just thought a minute, and then said, "You know what, you have a point. Let's pack it up!"

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
You should totally listen to her, Stockard Channing, sounds like she's got real good ideas about not getting killed and/or eaten.

bigbigtruck
Feb 7, 2011

rattlesnake caught in a wheel well, strawberry in an ostrich throat
I'm curious about that figurine on the table. Some sort of incense burner? It's been in focus in enough panels to be more than just that.

bigbigtruck fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jun 4, 2014

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011
Apparently a lot of people have asked about that and Ashley says that it's just incense that makes the place smell like home (Sharteshane and the ocean). So it's probably nothing.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Well, at least this confirms beyond reasonable doubt that Sette is an unreliable narrator with some pretty deep seated mental blocks / delusions going on.

I shudder to think of the flashbacks we're going to see when she finally cracks or Duane gets a look inside her head. :stare:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Also that she doesn't seem to age. I mean I'd assume someone would have had to notice Sette magically appeared out of nowhere and didn't age or something so I'm assuming that given Ashley has drawn her as a baby/rugrat before that she reached how she looks now and stopped aging??

Probably best not to think about something that'll take like a shitzillion pages to get to.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Fabricated posted:

Also that she doesn't seem to age. I mean I'd assume someone would have had to notice Sette magically appeared out of nowhere and didn't age or something

Isn't that exactly what's being discussed?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Rime posted:

Well, at least this confirms beyond reasonable doubt that Sette is an unreliable narrator with some pretty deep seated mental blocks / delusions going on.

It's not about delusions, it's about pickin' the best world!

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Holy loving poo poo.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Friendly coffee makes a return :3:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

No, no, don't act so impressed, it's an ordinary day in the life of Captain Toma to drive a giant haunted spider-tank through a long-neglected mining tunnel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigbigtruck
Feb 7, 2011

rattlesnake caught in a wheel well, strawberry in an ostrich throat
A giant haunted spider-tank with a penchant for rude hand gestures, no less.