Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Anime_Otaku posted:

Does Comixology have the colour versions of Scott Pilgrim? I think they're meant to but they don't show up when I search the uk site.

Bryan Lee O'Malley only has Lost at Sea available in my Comixology store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Anime_Otaku posted:

Does Comixology have the colour versions of Scott Pilgrim? I think they're meant to but they don't show up when I search the uk site.
https://www.comixology.com/Scott-Pilgrim-Color/comics-series/8940

I don't know if you can change your region to buy other comics or not, though.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
I'm trying to figure out how to get the comics from the Humble Bumble deals onto my iPad 2. I was wondering if there is any noticeable difference between an HD PDF and a .cbr file. The file size for the HD comics are a heck of a lot bigger. I'm sure there's a difference, but would I likely notice on an old iPad?

Also, they recommend Comic Flow, which I've been using for a while. Is that considered the best .cbr reader for the iPad?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
CBR files are just a zip of jpegs. You can just rename CBR to RAR and CBZ to ZIP, unzip the archive, and see the resolution of the images.

PDFs are generally larger files. I never noticed a difference, but haven't done a side by side comparison, especially on a retina display.

I go with CBRs every time, but PDFs run like poo poo on every Android device I've tried. Maybe the iPad is better handling them.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

I would assume same resolution it's just PDFs have additional overhead and due to the fact that CBR is just a rar it's already partially compressed. I don't know enough about PDF format and how it handles images though. But through PDFs have increased 'capability' and things like bookmarks/TOC etc they should be bigger

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
The PDFs (at least the ones from the Image sale (or any you buy directly from Image)) are varying. Some of them are huge and contain images at 6000x6000 resolutions with all speech bubbles and text on separate layers -- which are REALLY awesome. Some are just the same as the cbz. Some are even worse (but also bigger in filesize). Unfortunately there's not really any way of knowing what you get until you buy it (or ask someone that already did).

edit:
examples of hi-res from Revival 6:
Cover

Panel

kujeger fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 1, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

kujeger posted:

The PDFs (at least the ones from the Image sale (or any you buy directly from Image)) are varying. Some of them are huge and contain images at 6000x6000 resolutions with all speech bubbles and text on separate layers -- which are REALLY awesome. Some are just the same as the cbz. Some are even worse (but also bigger in filesize). Unfortunately there's not really any way of knowing what you get until you buy it (or ask someone that already did).

That explains why the Sex Criminals PDFs are 25-70 MB and the Pretty Deadly PDFs are 180-250 MB each...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Double post!

Here is a page from Pretty Deadly #1, PDF, opened in SumatraPDF on my Win8 machine hooked up to a 1080p monitor, and zoomed in 400%.

(230 MB file size)

Same page, CBR file, opened in CDisplayEx, zoomed in 400%.

(59 MB file size, the JPG of the whole page is 1523x2343)

For comparison, Sex Criminals #1, PDF, same thing.

(69 MB file size)

And the CBR.

(27 MB file size, the JPG of the whole page is 1523x2343)

All the files are perfectly readable with no artifacts that I see. Seems interesting that the CBR files seem zoomed in slightly more at 400%, but that might just be how the programs calculate zooms.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 2, 2014

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

Uthor posted:

Double post!

Here is a page from Pretty Deadly #1, PDF, opened in SumatraPDF on my Win8 machine hooked up to a 1080p monitor, and zoomed in 400%.

(230 MB file size)

(69 MB file size)

And the CBR.

All the files are perfectly readable with no artifacts that I see. Seems interesting that the CBR files seem zoomed in slightly more at 400%, but that might just be how the programs calculate zooms.

I read on a 2560x1440 display, so the difference there is often noticeable, particularly the text can get blurry. If you use some tools to dig into the pdfs, the big ones are very unoptimized - the images are almost not compressed at all.
I actually wonder if they are what they send to the printer.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

Uthor posted:

Double post!

(230 MB file size)

(69 MB file size)

And the CBR.

Thanks for taking the time to do something I was too lazy to do. I'm guessing there's no need to download those huge HD PDF files to my iPad. Consider my initial question answered.

As for my second question, is Comic Flow the best iPad app for .cbr? I've been using it and have no complaints. Thanks in advance.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

kujeger posted:

I read on a 2560x1440 display, so the difference there is often noticeable, particularly the text can get blurry.

Are you talking about PDF vs CBR or the big PDF files vs the small PDF? Just curious.

sleepingbuddha posted:

As for my second question, is Comic Flow the best iPad app for .cbr? I've been using it and have no complaints. Thanks in advance.

I don't use iOS, but check the first page of this thread. I asked and was told Comic Flow and another app as the ones to go with. I put Comic Flow in the OP. Use whatever works.

Edit: the other recommended app was Comic Zeal.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 2, 2014

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So which issues of Young Avengers are worth getting from today's sale?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rirse posted:

So which issues of Young Avengers are worth getting from today's sale?

1-12 plus special are decent, but the best is the Young Avengera presents Hawkeye. It's Matt Fractions first work with the character of Clint and Kate

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Okay I grabbed the main series, the special, and the Hawkeye Presents issue. Any of the other presents worth bothering with? Also heard a lot of bad things about Children Crusade, so I probably going to skip that.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

sleepingbuddha posted:

I'm trying to figure out how to get the comics from the Humble Bumble deals onto my iPad 2. I was wondering if there is any noticeable difference between an HD PDF and a .cbr file. The file size for the HD comics are a heck of a lot bigger. I'm sure there's a difference, but would I likely notice on an old iPad?

Also, they recommend Comic Flow, which I've been using for a while. Is that considered the best .cbr reader for the iPad?

I tried Comic Flow and didn't really get all that excited for it. I really like Bookman:
http://bookmanlab.wordpress.com/2010/04/24/bookman-for-ipad/

If Goodreader starts getting CBR/CBZ support, I'd jump to that in a heartbeat.

Nawid
Mar 27, 2011
YACReader is the best iPad app bar none.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Another $2.99 omnibus over at DHD. Today it's a collection of comics that take place between Star Wars Episode I and II. Almost 500 pages.

https://digital.darkhorse.com/profile/2096/

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Syrinxx posted:

Another $2.99 omnibus over at DHD. Today it's a collection of comics that take place between Star Wars Episode I and II. Almost 500 pages.

https://digital.darkhorse.com/profile/2096/

Seems a little overpriced. :v:

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I hope all of you dudes and dudettes are reading Private Eye by Brian K Vaughn and Marcos Martin. It reminds me a bit of Transmetropolitan. It's a detective story set in a near future with some speculative-fiction-style high concept premises. If you like Saga or that series, you should check it out, it's great and I don't think it's getting as much publicity as it should be. It seems to have been overlooked in the Eisners this year, but maybe we'll see it pop up when it concludes.

I'm reading this via Comic Flow on my iPad Air and it looks super good, too.

Another digital comic that is worth checking out:
Freakangels by Warren Ellis and Paul Duffield. A near future, post-apocalyptic story featuring grown up and jaded psychic children. This is complete and free. An oldie but a goodie.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Is there a trend for stuff to go on sale with Comixology? Feels like there be times with really good sales like Transmetropolitan or a bunch of classic X-Men issues, then suddenly something like this week where some Ghostbusters series I never heard of.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rirse posted:

Is there a trend for stuff to go on sale with Comixology? Feels like there be times with really good sales like Transmetropolitan or a bunch of classic X-Men issues, then suddenly something like this week where some Ghostbusters series I never heard of.

Movies are a good indicator. They sold some amazing Spider-man and X-men stuff since those movies are coming out. When it comes to other stuff its just a crap shoot.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Runaways is on sale, which is nice since I bought the first volume back when they had a trade sale for it. But I am curious which issues are worth getting for it?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rirse posted:

Runaways is on sale, which is nice since I bought the first volume back when they had a trade sale for it. But I am curious which issues are worth getting for it?

If Vaughn wrote it get it

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

bobkatt013 posted:

If Vaughn wrote it get it

Cool, that's what I was figuring on grabbing from the sale.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Big fat sale on Udon's many Street Fighter titles, too. Including the collected eds.

I've never actually read any of them. Thoughts?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Agent Escalus posted:

Big fat sale on Udon's many Street Fighter titles, too. Including the collected eds.

I've never actually read any of them. Thoughts?
I read Ibuki and Sakura's vol 1's before, they're both great stories, amazing art, and well worth $4.

Sakura's is really good, and there's a pro wrestling match against Zangeif.

They can be a little cheesecake iirc.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
There was an issue #0 put out for Free Comic Books Day, just read it and it seems pretty good.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The new Silver Surfer is today's free comic at Comixology. Give it a shot, especially for the art.

Uthor posted:

Dan Slott :(

I think it's a fine, fun book.
The part in #1 when the girl's hum-drum life on her family's resort is contrasted with Surfer touring a far-out impossible resort planet was one of the nicer comic moments I can remember from this year.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 7, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I haven't been getting the promo emails. Did I miss anything good?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Uthor posted:

I haven't been getting the promo emails. Did I miss anything good?
There's over 75 comics up and only 5 of them worth buying. The Spider-Man/Johnny Storm miniseries is good, Slott's Spider-Man is not, and I've never read The Initiative but it features Spider-Man during Civil War so it's probably not good either?

https://www.comixology.com/Dan-Slott-Sale/comics-collection/1436

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Uthor posted:

Slott's She-Hulk was fun and enjoyable and I will entertain no opinions to the contrary :colbert:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Flameingblack posted:

There's over 75 comics up and only 5 of them worth buying. The Spider-Man/Johnny Storm miniseries is good, Slott's Spider-Man is not, and I've never read The Initiative but it features Spider-Man during Civil War so it's probably not good either?

https://www.comixology.com/Dan-Slott-Sale/comics-collection/1436

Oh poo poo, that's ironic. I meant did I miss anything good from the Summer Reading issues?

I stopped buying Spider-Man when Slott became the sole writer and reading my friend's copies since then, it was a good decision. And also why I never got the Silver Surfer book despite being a Marvel Cosmic fan. Glad I can check out the first issue for free...

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Harbinger is on sale again. I swear I'll never have to spend more than 99c on a Valiant book.
https://www.comixology.com/Harbinger-Sale/page/2213

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
There are a poo poo ton of X-men comics for sale right now.

A poo poo ton.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

There are a poo poo ton of X-Men comics on sale right now. :eng101: Including X-Force vol. 1 for 2 bucks and a mess of Kirby/Lee issues at 99 cents each.

Also collected editions of Age of X, Fatal Attractions, Necrosha, Inferno, Mutant Massacre, X-tinction Agenda and X-cutioner's Song

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

For anyone wondering about those X-Men Collections:

Mutant Massacre and Inferno: Both worth reading, they're really quite good, although you need to bear in mind that Claremont scripted them. Mutant Massacre in particular is a favourite of mine.
X-tinction Agenda and X-cutioner's Song: Less good, but I think they're both kinda worth reading. X-tinction Agenda is right at the tail end of Claremont's X-Men run, and also has some issues by Louise Simonson, Liefeld and I think Whilce Portacio? I forget who did the X-Factor art. I read X-cutioner's Song for the first time recently, and while it's a little bit drawn out and some bad art, it's not too bad overall. Some early Greg Capullo art on X-Force.
Necrosha: Ok overall, pretty grimdark and has some kinda dark, muddy art.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm not a fan of Necrosha, but I do like Kyle/Yost and Crain's X-Force, and it's an extension of that book. There's not much point to reading it if you haven't read that first.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

irlZaphod posted:

X-tinction Agenda and X-cutioner's Song: Less good, but I think they're both kinda worth reading. X-tinction Agenda is right at the tail end of Claremont's X-Men run, and also has some issues by Louise Simonson, Liefeld and I think Whilce Portacio? I forget who did the X-Factor art. I read X-cutioner's Song for the first time recently, and while it's a little bit drawn out and some bad art, it's not too bad overall. Some early Greg Capullo art on X-Force.

X-Tinction Agenda has art by Liefeld (New Mutants), Jim Lee (Uncanny X-Men), and Jon Bogdanove (X-Factor). It's, um, uneven, though I find the story miles better than X-Cutioner's Song which probably has better art overall.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Good rear end digital day today.

Afterlife With Archie #1 free https://www.comixology.com/Afterlif..._Daily_Deals_15

Charles Soule's Letter 44 sale https://www.comixology.com/Letter-44-Sale/page/2288

Preacher sale https://www.comixology.com/Preacher-Sale/page/2227

Get all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Just saw on Facebook that Comixology has gotten the rights to Viz Manga. So that's the likes of Bleach, Naruto and One Piece. Though it looks as if it may be US only as I get I site error when I follow the link.
https://www.comixology.com/Viz-Laun...0610_Viz_Launch

I already have the Kindle edition but I really hope that they put out Black Lagoon in the UK store.