Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Would you guys be interested in seeing some board mods I had to do to get a board working the other day? :v: That was pissing me off. I don't know if it's Freescales fault for not making i2c lines non-programmable when it comes to voltage on their processors, or my boss for assuming you could because one of the processors in the family we are using CAN have individual i2c lines voltage-programmed.

Either way the wifi chip on the board was backfeeding voltage into the 1v8 line and giving it 2.5V. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
80 degrees in my office today, also very humid because of a newly found leak.

Hate having to work from home.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

nitrogen posted:

I cannot believe how unprofessional this customer is :(

That's an instant hang-up for me, I don't care how "customer-focused" we supposedly are.

Edit: For the record, this customer is not "unprofessional." That's not the right word. Try "bigoted shitstain" and you'll be getting closer.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 5, 2014

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Che Delilas posted:

That's an instant hang-up for me, I don't care how "customer-focused" we supposedly are.

Edit: For the record, this customer is not "unprofessional." That's not the right word. Try "bigoted shitstain" and you'll be getting closer.

Anyone acting like this isn't a customer. Simple as that.

(yes, I know reality doesn't work like that. It should work like that.)

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Crowley posted:

Anyone acting like this isn't a customer. Simple as that.

(yes, I know reality doesn't work like that. It should work like that.)

Yeah, I mean I'm not in a situation where I get to decide for the company who isn't a customer. If I have my own business I fire that client on the spot, but as it is all I can do is refuse to be treated in such a way and take whatever consequences my bosses decide to hand down to me. If I have a good boss, they back me up (and ideally, read the customer the riot act when they inevitably call back and demand to speak to a manager), and if I don't, I get punished and lose any motivation I have to do a better-than-average job while I look for a new company that respects its employees. Or you know, get fired.

I understand some people don't have that luxury, and that's fine. That's just what I would do.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Collateral Damage posted:

Laptop PSU chat: gently caress you HP. gently caress you for having two differently rated PSUs that have the same connector and look identical except for a miniscule difference in size and a 5 point text stating the power, where the lower rated one won't power up half of your models.

Its pretty easy to tell the difference between the 65 and 90W bricks by their size and the 65W will run most models that don't have a massive DGPU (just flashing a message in Windows saying charging will be slow). Annoyingly the 65W will NOT run a lot of models when they are in their docking stations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Yeah the 90W PSU isn't the problem.

The problem is the 45W PSU the EliteBook G1 uses, which is nearly identical to the older 65W only slightly smaller. The 45W will not power an EliteBook 8xxx at all, it just refuses to turn on.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Collateral Damage posted:

Yeah the 90W PSU isn't the problem.

The problem is the 45W PSU the EliteBook G1 uses, which is nearly identical to the older 65W only slightly smaller. The 45W will not power an EliteBook 8xxx at all, it just refuses to turn on.

Uggh something to look forward to once we start getting the G1s I guess.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Interns chat.

After venting a little bit, I've worked with them today to get them mostly setup and will be getting them better equipment. I suppose it was extremely unbecoming of me to be as angry as I was and needed to find some outlet.

mewse
May 2, 2006

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Interns chat.

After venting a little bit, I've worked with them today to get them mostly setup and will be getting them better equipment. I suppose it was extremely unbecoming of me to be as angry as I was and needed to find some outlet.

They're interns, gently caress'em

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

mewse posted:

That's only legal for congressmen.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

mewse posted:

Basically. Interns are there for the learning experience - well, the first thing they should learn is to not piss off the people who make it possible for them to work. There are plenty of ways to set up a passive-aggressive response from IT that is both painful and detrimental, but still meets the requirements of the requisition. I've had the pleasure of metaphorically bitch-slapping some interns in my desktop support days, and the one time a troublesome intern complained to his supervisor about having this huge loving monstrosity of a desktop computer and an ancient, huge, and incredibly heavy CRT monitor when his neighbor had a sleek engineering workstation and wide-screen LCD his supervisor looked at him for a moment and told him that it's never a good idea to annoy the IT department.

All the engineers knew that I would go out of my way to help, but heaven help you if you got on my tits. I generally had few enough tickets that I could respond and fix a problem in a matter of hours, but if you started annoying me then I would use the three days I had according to the SLA to draw out the pain. And resubmitting the ticket with a higher priority just reset the clock, because I still had three days (unless it was one of the senior executives), because the priority only affected how long I had to respond. Although I did have one executive drat near foaming-at-the-mouth mad when his ticket was jumped by another executive's ticket because his assistant brought me some cherry pie. After that, let's just say I had to share because the rest of the guys around me were demanding part of my spoils - our part of the facility smelled like a bakery, and the President and Vice-President would somehow find a reason to come by and check on us and snag a piece along the way. I'm also pretty sure they informally told the executives of the pie system.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Basically, in my case I recognize that it's been a lovely situation all around for me and them. Right now they are setup with devices that are wholly inadequate for their needs, that scrape the bare minimum of their requirements. If I got more than a 2 day notice Start to Deliver with their actual requirements and not some 'just give them whatever' they probably wouldn't be up in our face about everything. I realize that the lack of planning on the administrations part is not my emergency, and I'm not treating it as such. However, I'm still going to work towards getting them more properly setup so long as it doesn't interrupt any of my current goals and priorities.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Basically, in my case I recognize that it's been a lovely situation all around for me and them. Right now they are setup with devices that are wholly inadequate for their needs, that scrape the bare minimum of their requirements. If I got more than a 2 day notice Start to Deliver with their actual requirements and not some 'just give them whatever' they probably wouldn't be up in our face about everything. I realize that the lack of planning on the administrations part is not my emergency, and I'm not treating it as such. However, I'm still going to work towards getting them more properly setup so long as it doesn't interrupt any of my current goals and priorities.

I'd just redirect the interns back to their bosses. "What you got it was the paperwork told me to get you. If it's not sufficient for your tasks, you'll have to discuss that with your manager."

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Although I did have one executive drat near foaming-at-the-mouth mad when his ticket was jumped by another executive's ticket because his assistant brought me some cherry pie. After that, let's just say I had to share because the rest of the guys around me were demanding part of my spoils - our part of the facility smelled like a bakery, and the President and Vice-President would somehow find a reason to come by and check on us and snag a piece along the way. I'm also pretty sure they informally told the executives of the pie system.

At a previous job, I had a couple of small departments that were demanding, but good-natured. Whenever they asked how to get things done as quickly as possible over a weekend, I told them to write up exactly what they needed, in as much detail as possible, in a note. Take that note, and tie it to a good bottle of rum. Leave the note (and rum) on my desk Friday afternoon. Their poo poo got done.

Wizard of the Deep fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 6, 2014

skooky
Oct 2, 2013
Pissing me off right now...

5-day online training where the presenter sounds like a cross between the worst vocal qualities of Zoolander and JD from Scrubs :suicide:

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

ratbert90 posted:

Would you guys be interested in seeing some board mods I had to do to get a board working the other day?

Go on...

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I'd just redirect the interns back to their bosses. "What you got it was the paperwork told me to get you. If it's not sufficient for your tasks, you'll have to discuss that with your manager."

At a previous job, I had a couple of small departments that were demanding, but good-natured. Whenever they asked how to get things done as quickly as possible over a weekend, I told them to write up exactly what they needed, in as much detail as possible, in a note. Take that note, and tie it to a good bottle of rum. Leave the note (and rum) on my desk Friday afternoon. Their poo poo got done.

That's how my friends ask for IT favors nowadays. A good bottle of whiskey will go a long way.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.

ratbert90 posted:

Would you guys be interested in seeing some board mods I had to do to get a board working the other day? :v:

Yes!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
When your DC used for making changes to users/groups, etc only has Powershell v1.0 installed :[

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Business Team: Hey Xae, can you take a look at why this database is so slow? This database is mission critical and costing the company a lot of money to have it so slow.
Me: Sure thing Bob, let me take a look...
Me: "Hey um.. it looks like you're running a 20 TB database an out of warranty 5 year old box with 4 cores,16 GB for RAM and only a single 100Mbit connection to the SAN."
Business Team: We can't afford a change in hardware.
Me: Well, you've got 10TB of data your reports can't see, you should stop loading/updating it. And look at purging it from the database.
Business Team: We can't afford a change in software.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Xae posted:

Business Team: Hey Xae, can you take a look at why this database is so slow? This database is mission critical and costing the company a lot of money to have it so slow.
Me: "Hey um.. it looks like you're running a 20 TB database an out of warranty 5 year old box with 4 cores,16 GB for RAM and only a single 100Mbit connection to the SAN."
Me: Well, you've got 10TB of data your reports can't see, you should stop loading/updating it. And look at purging it from the database.

Then you can't afford to save money by speeding it up. Business team seems to think they can just take the server to best buy and have the geek squad remove unneccessary software, defrag it, and clean out the IE cache to make it twice as fast.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Xae posted:

Listen just do the cords and look at the server and call the software vendor and whatever else it is we pay you to do and fix it. You can't just keep requesting more money, we already give you a salary!

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

gently caress heat and gently caress managers who can't make up their mind.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

jim truds posted:

gently caress heat and gently caress managers who can't make up their mind.

Heat as in what? The outside temp? Agreed. The helpdesk software? Agreed.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Both, but mostly the HelpDesk software.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Moey posted:

Heat as in what? The outside temp? Agreed. The helpdesk software? Agreed.

Pretty sure he meas the basketball team agreend

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Xae posted:

The answer should then be "You can't afford a fast database."

Laughing at my current dev server with 16GB on a single 400Mhz DIMM, it takes 80ms to access a single loving tick of data in a time series database. I can process an entire days worth of data in 20ms on my budget VM, production hardware is in microseconds.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

stubblyhead posted:

Pretty sure he meas the basketball team agreend

Meh. Now that my hockey season ended, it's just a countdown until football.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Working with X military, nothing pisses me off more and makes me want to learn more and work for an awesome as poo poo VAR.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

A previous employer is about to get boned hard by Microsoft. Their MO for the past 10 years has been to basically ignore licensing and use MSDN keys for everything. For example, they have about 40 poorly configured and unmaintained "production" servers on MSDN licenses because the "developer" thinks that each ~*special snowflake*~ web app needs its own IIS instance and SQL server, and the completely incompetent IT boss lets him do whatever he wants and doesn't buy licenses.

They got a "Software Asset Management Review" (i.e. impending audit) email from MS 6 months ago and the IT boss dropped it like a hot potato into the sysadmin's lap.

Their most recent sysadmin (none seem to stick around very long for some reason) has been fighting an uphill battle to clean up this terrible mess since he got hired a little over a year ago, and has been working 80 hour weeks for the past few months to try to lube up the company's rear end in a top hat before the MS auditors jam a jumbo-sized pineapple into it. He's been keeping the wolves at bay by explaining to MS that he's in the middle of a project to get the company compliant (implement VDI, move everybody to Office 365, consolidate server instances, etc), informing them regularly of his progress, and asking for more time. SA licenses have been purchased for the desktops, the VDI environment has been built but not fully deployed, everyone's using Office 365, and he's gotten a few of the dozens of terribly written web apps consolidated onto a properly configured IIS and SQL cluster.

Meanwhile, the developer and IT boss haven't changed their habits at all, and just last week they spun up another new MSDN IIS/SQL instance and put it into production without involving the sysadmin, knowing full well that MS has them under a microscope, because the developer can't wrap his head around web.config and relative paths and was frustrated that the sysadmin wouldn't give him administrative rights on the new web servers.

Today the sysadmin got an email that MS won't tolerate further delay, and that he has to give them a Deployment Summary next week Or Else. He's got no choice now but to give them whatever they want, and the company is so hosed. I am so glad I don't work there anymore.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

The pineapple is the right analogy for what's about to happen. MSDN licenses are for development purposes only and can not be used in production, period. They're meant to allow devs to spin up test environments. If they have servers running without appropriate licensing, SAM partners will find them, and the check written will just get bigger.

I worked for a shop that did this pretty blatently once. Just about the same parameters, too. I wonder if they've been hit.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
Here's to hoping that sysadmin's got enough CYA paperwork so that when IT boss and developer throw him under the bus, he's got the paperwork to back him up.

Oh who am I kidding, guy's hosed either way.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Pissing me off today: EZ Pass. I changed my name a couple years ago, and finally got around to submitting a ticket so that my name on their site shows up correctly. There is no means to attach a document, and so my ticket asked specifically how I should provide the requisite legal documentation.

They emailed back a few days later, and told me to send the documentation.

EZ Pass posted:

Your Request #: x-xxxxxxxxxx has been resolved.

Response:

In order to change the last name on this account, please send in a copy of a marriage certificate/divorce decree, or a legal documentation showing a name change. Also send in another request with signature to change the last name on this account.

Thank you,

E-ZPass New York Customer Service.

Please do not reply to this message. This is an automatically generated notification. If you wish to contact a Customer Service Representative, please call the E-ZPass New York Customer Service Center at 1-800-333-TOLL(8655).
:cripes:

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Paladine_PSoT posted:

The pineapple is the right analogy for what's about to happen.

The company is going to need metaphorical stitches after they're done.

Casull posted:

Here's to hoping that sysadmin's got enough CYA paperwork so that when IT boss and developer throw him under the bus, he's got the paperwork to back him up.

Oh who am I kidding, guy's hosed either way.

He says he has some papertrail, but probably not enough. He's a friend of mine, so I advised him to cooperate fully and give the auditors everything they want, not to believe that he owes anything to the company or the idiot IT boss, and that he tried his best, which was way more than that company's terrible management deserved.

Poor bastard. I think I'll be buying him some booze in the near future.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
gently caress people who install SQL express on both servers, gently caress working around 16 hours in one day and gently caress having to be at work for 8:00 after that. I've had 5 hours sleep and i'm about ready to drop.

My boss wouldn't even pick up his mobile, so when I tried to call in and go "dude, too tired, not coming in till a bit later" I couldn't.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

dogstile posted:

My boss wouldn't even pick up his mobile, so when I tried to call in and go "dude, too tired, not coming in till a bit later" I couldn't.

If they don't pick up, I just relay it as an SMS.

I send it as an SMS first. If they don't get it, blame the carrier.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I went in, bitched about it and I get to go home a whole 2 and a half hours early!

If I had the energy to punch something, I would. At least me being this tired made me realise pressing ctrl + B/I on these forums works much the same as it does on word due to me missing the shift key. Little victorys!

Loten
Dec 8, 2005

How does this make you guys feel?

#edit no idea why that image attachment didn't work.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Loten fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jun 9, 2014

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Loten posted:

How does this make you guys feel?

#edit no idea why that image attachment didn't work.

Someone running from one end of a building to another with a 500MB USB stick?

I can't think of anything else that's that appalling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

dogstile posted:

I went in, bitched about it and I get to go home a whole 2 and a half hours early!

If I had the energy to punch something, I would. At least me being this tired made me realise pressing ctrl + B/I on these forums works much the same as it does on word due to me missing the shift key. Little victorys!

The EU Working Time Directive states that there must be a minimum of 11 hours between work shifts.

If you've opted out of that, god help you.