Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Well yeah but that's unfair because Famke Janssen is still like the most desirable woman on the planet.

To be fair they did a really good job of making Okamoto Tao look good too, whereas usually she looks more like a skeleton someone daubed with heavy makeup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Well yeah but that's unfair because Famke Janssen is still like the most desirable woman on the planet.

That's the point, though. You get why Wolverine would still be into her. You don't really get why he'd be into this kid.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Okay, you made me check and Okamoto Tao is almost 30 and I have no idea why you think Mariko is meant to be or looks like a teenager :psyduck:

e: Also I don't really see Wolverine choosing "between" Mariko and Jean since in that movie, Jean is dead and a major subplot is Wolverine learning to move on and stop wallowing in grief.

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 7, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Harime Nui posted:

Mariko has become the leader of her family and needs to clean up their Yakuza connections. She doesn't have time for a relationship and Wolverine's not the kinda dude who hangs around in the friend zone!

She flat out asks him to stay.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Rhyno posted:

She flat out asks him to stay.

Oh, guess I forgot that part and conflated it with the comics.

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

What planet?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MY ABACUS! posted:

What planet?

Both Earth Prime, the world we live in, and Earth 1005, the world the X-Men films take place in*.

*I looked it up.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

Jummy posted:

A lot of people complained about the time travel parts of the movie and how they did or didn't make sense, but I don't remember anyone pointing out the biggest flaw of the whole movie. Kitty Pryde has to maintain this connection or Wolverine will come back. This means that she has to keep her focus for a pretty decent amount of time. Wolverine's drive to find Charles, driving to DC, flying to Paris and back. So probably two days at least, maybe as many as three or four depending on how much time everything else took. She has to do this without sleeping or going to the bathroom, is one of her other mutant powers holding it in without dying?

Yeah, I was thinking that sort of thing myself. She woulda been awake for days.

But then again, wasn't there something about Kitty being alive phased inside some sort of interplanetary missile for months/years?

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
They deleted scenes in which Rogue takes over after a bit.

MY ABACUS! fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jun 7, 2014

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

AnonSpore posted:

Her fiance was already dead at that point. Without a challenge to overcome, Logan left in search of new conquests.

Hahaha so true. He does have a type doesn't he. There was also Heather Hudson. If you're not already in a relationship, he's just not even going to notice you.

Logan really needs to see a therapist about that.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
The ole cucknuckle head.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I finally saw this last night, and even though I'd heard it was good, I wasn't really prepared for how good it was. Obviously, chock-full of plot holes, but the type of people that care about that and me are BLOOD ENEMIES, gently caress that poo poo. It's a time travel movie, of course it's gonna be sloppy.
While the previous X-Men films have had some good performances, I believe this is the first one to have performances that actors in them ought to count among their best. Jennifer Lawrence, James McAvoy, and Michael Fassbender improved upon their performances in First Class, with Lawrence in particular doing an amazing job. I doubt they would have made Mystique the linchpin of the plot if they didn't have Jennifer Lawrence playing her.
A couple weeks ago, I read an analysis of the film somewhere, maybe in another thread here, about how the film's really about Charles realizing and accepting that Raven has agency. She only stops when he tells her she has a choice, when he lets go of his entitlement and sexism. I love how much this Mystique serves as a departure from the Mystique of the first three films, where she was totally under Magneto's thumb. In Days of Future Past she kicks rear end, saves mutants, and forges her own path. She already rejected Charles, but when she shoots Erik, she rejects him as well, signalling she will never let a man control her again. Charles spent most of First Class alienating Raven, but in this film it's Erik who disrespects her.
obligatory mention of how Quicksilver owns, Evan Peters rocked the role so hard, bringing a laid-back, yet cocky energy. The "Time in a Bottle" scene is probably the best action scene in a comic book movie I've ever seen. Whatever Josh Wheaton does with Aaron Johnson in the new Avengers won't be a tenth as good.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Wolverine is the James Bond of x men. If you think he banged a chick he probably did.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Color me surprised by this film. I was not expecting great things, and I really really enjoyed it, far more than any x-film this far (except maybe X2 because I love that film)

I think the thing I liked best was Fassbinder as Magneto. In the last film, he was mostly a good guy for the run time until things went south at Cuba. This film allows him to flex his villain muscles, which I thought was really cool, because the scene with him, the stadium and him controlling the Sentinels was really spectacular.

I really liked most everything about this film (except maybe that they gave Kitty Pride's story to Wolverine, but whatever, it's a X-Movie, got to have Jackman up front and center, and Jackman gives his best Wolverine performance here. I even liked Quicksilver, who from trailers and stuff, I thought I'd hate with a passion. Aaron Johnson and Whedon have some work cut out for them to top it

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Spatula City posted:

Whatever Josh Wheaton does with Aaron Johnson in the new Avengers won't be a tenth as good.

So much wrong in this sentence

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Harime Nui posted:

Okay, you made me check and Okamoto Tao is almost 30 and I have no idea why you think Mariko is meant to be or looks like a teenager :psyduck:

e: Also I don't really see Wolverine choosing "between" Mariko and Jean since in that movie, Jean is dead and a major subplot is Wolverine learning to move on and stop wallowing in grief.

The other women in the movie conspicuously look their age, Mariko and the girl she grew up with (her bodyguard, I forget her name) look more like a tutor/student than sisters.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
This movie is now my favorite X-Men movie (just ahead of First Class, and then X-Men/X2). The only thing I've got to say is: poor loving Colossus.

:ninja:e: Origins was terrible and Wolverine was mostly okay if a little slow until it got to the end and then just :what:`

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Spatula City posted:

Josh Wheaton

They shouldn't have displayed the teleporter from The Fly at Comic Con.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Habibi posted:

This movie is now my favorite X-Men movie (just ahead of First Class, and then X-Men/X2). The only thing I've got to say is: poor loving Colossus.

:ninja:e: Origins was terrible and Wolverine was mostly okay if a little slow until it got to the end and then just :what:`

The Sentinel fatality moves were really brutal, really sold how the super-heroes pretty much didn't have a chance against the upgraded model

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

etalian posted:

The Sentinel fatality moves were really brutal, really sold how the super-heroes pretty much didn't have a chance against the upgraded model

I know that blood isn't splattered all over the screen, but.. You still see someone's face burnt off (almost reminiscent of that dagger scene in Saving Private Ryan!), impalements, torsos ripped in half, heads crushed.. In a PG-13 movie. It's almost like when Starship Troopers got a PG rating, it seems a bit misjudged!

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

So the love for this movie is pretty unanimous then? I thought it was pretty drat weak and I almost fell asleep at some point during the middle bits.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I've never understood how people can fall asleep in a theater. Not arguing your opinion of the film, that's yours to hold, but with a giant screen and sound system blasting into the room, I would think even the most boring of movies would keep everyone awake.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 9, 2014

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

jivjov posted:

I've legionary never understood how people can fall asleep in a theater. Not arguing your opinion of the film, that's yours to hold, but with a giant screen and sound system blasting into the room, I would think even the most boring of movies would keep everyone awake.

Legionary? :confused:

Well it was during one of the quiet talky scenes where they were just moping around I guess. I fell asleep during Batman Rises too but that was because I came off a ten hour flight earlier that day.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

jivjov posted:

I've legionary never understood how people can fall asleep in a theater. Not arguing your opinion of the film, that's yours to hold, but with a giant screen and sound system blasting into the room, I would think even the most boring of movies would keep everyone awake.

My friend fell asleep in a packed theatre right next to me watching Sin City. I fell asleep during LOTR: Two Towers.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

There's not a lot of times where my mom hasn't fallen asleep during a movie. When I go anywhere with her I have to like prod her every now and then.

It's not like some kind of medical problem or anything... movies just have that effect on some people. I don't get it either.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Not everyone is sensitive to sound when it comes to sleeping. In fact I don't think sound is that important at all. Ever seen a baby or toddler out and about in a stroller sleeping through the hustle and bustle of a city and all its noises? Or think of all the couples who can have one person watching TV while the other's in bed. A movie theatre is dark and it has comfortable seats. Some quiet would be nice too but 2/3 is all it takes for some people.

Thinking back to my university days, a classroom could have uncomfortable chairs, harsh lighting, and someone lecturing but that never stopped students from dozing off.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm often more surprised that people are alert for lectures.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

jivjov posted:

I fell asleep during Attack of the Clones and the fourth Pirates of the Caribbean. Noise doesn't disturb my sleep. I live in the middle of downtown, next to a highway, and sleep with the windows open in the summer.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

My friend fell asleep in a packed theatre right next to me watching Sin City. I fell asleep during LOTR: Two Towers.

A friend of mine fell asleep twice during the third Pirates of the Caribbean. I can't blame him.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Lobok posted:

A movie theatre is dark and it has comfortable seats

Our movie-going experience differ on a fundamental level here. I'm 6'5" and the only cinemas I've been to where my rear end and legs didn't cramp up after 90 minutes has been those places with premium seats where you're charged almost twice per ticket.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

RBA Starblade posted:

A friend of mine fell asleep twice during the third Pirates of the Caribbean. I can't blame him.

Anybody who has kids or works with kids can tell you how easy it is to doze off with a bunch of noise blaring at you.

Krowley posted:

So the love for this movie is pretty unanimous then? I thought it was pretty drat weak and I almost fell asleep at some point during the middle bits.

I think it's no great shakes for what it's worth but the Quicksilver scene almost justifies matinee price.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Krowley posted:

Our movie-going experience differ on a fundamental level here. I'm 6'5" and the only cinemas I've been to where my rear end and legs didn't cramp up after 90 minutes has been those places with premium seats where you're charged almost twice per ticket.

Probably. I only go to big-city, downtown theatres and they all have high-backed plush stadium seating with adjustable armrests, a little reclining, and usually decent legroom but then I'm 5'10".

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm often more surprised that people are alert for lectures.

8am classes might as well have just had cots off in the corner.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

jivjov posted:

I fell asleep during Transformers 2, which is like the loudest movie ever.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Depends on how late the show is and if you've seen it before perhaps. I know when I watched The Hobbit 1 a second time with my buddy I fell asleep just before they got into the goblin caves. More so just dozing off.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

THE BAR posted:

I know that blood isn't splattered all over the screen, but.. You still see someone's face burnt off (almost reminiscent of that dagger scene in Saving Private Ryan!), impalements, torsos ripped in half, heads crushed.. In a PG-13 movie. It's almost like when Starship Troopers got a PG rating, it seems a bit misjudged!

Uh, Starship Troopers was very much an R...

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Krowley posted:

One of my local theaters replaced all their seats with big, (presumably fake) leather recliners and lowered all the ticket prices about a year ago. I love it, but it's certainly putting me in greater danger of falling asleep.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

jivjov posted:

I've never understood how people can fall asleep in a theater. Not arguing your opinion of the film, that's yours to hold, but with a giant screen and sound system blasting into the room, I would think even the most boring of movies would keep everyone awake.

I fell asleep during Broken Lizard's Club Dread. It probably helped that no one in the theater was laughing.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I go to movies because I want to see the movie, so I've almost never fallen asleep at a movie. I did almost fall asleep once at a showing of Syriana, but it was a 10:30 showing or something ridiculous like that, and it was Syriana.
Oh, right, and for some stupid reason I went to a midnight showing of Seven Psychopaths, and never completely lost consciousness, but the movie became bewilderingly confusing (although I am told it is still somewhat confusing to watch while awake). The real fun was getting out of the theater and totally not remembering where I parked the van. Then wandering around the parking lot until I'd determined the van was not in the parking lot. Then realizing I didn't have my cell phone with me. and after a miserable half hour wandering around the parking lot, realizing there's another parking lot on the other side of the theater, walking over, and spotting the van instantly. And then, being only loosely in the realm of consciousness, driving 10 miles in the wrong direction before realizing my mistake, and almost crashing the van at least ten times. Apparently my grasp of geography is nonexistent at 2 am.
So, I guess the thing is not to go to late night showings? At least I tried the midnight thing and learned it's stupid as hell.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

So much wrong in this sentence

What, pray tell, is wrong with the sentence other than the deliberate name mangling?
:iamafag:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Timby posted:

Uh, Starship Troopers was very much an R...

My mistake, I just assumed the rating would be the same in the US as it is here, but to my defence, that movie's ratings are all over the map!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120201/parentalguide?ref_=tt_stry_pg#certification

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
I fell asleep in ang lee's hulk. I wasn't any less confused when I woke up.

• Locked thread