Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

PootieTang posted:

I don't particularly disagree with anything you're saying, but the ruination of the reapers is inevitable. And you enjoyed it at the time, but that's the whole point of hyping up some off-screen thing as totally awesome you don't even know what's coming man it's gonna be epic! People enjoy the anticipation, but ultimately if you can't back up the hype it backfires. Which is the big problem with a lot of science fiction franchises really, just look at Battlestar Galactica. Or LOST. It's one step away from a cheap trick in my opinion.

I feel like, in the Cylon plan sense at least, ME1 didn't try to deliver and was far better for it. The twist about the relays was cool, and maybe I'm just a chump but even the 'not just a Reaper ship' twist also got me. Sovereign's invasion capped things off with an amazing setpiece. If Bioware had just left the Reapers there, I think it would have been fine. There will always be the Star Wars EU contingent who demand to know a Reaper's fusion plant output so they can calculate whatever. To me though, they were alien and scary and defeated, ad that was that - I didn't really need to see more of them.

It helped that planet descriptions and so on of the first game had all sorts of other alien and scary things, which created an atmosphere where the Reapers really didn't need to be followed up on. It was a big, old galaxy full of mysteries. Interestingly, all that got eroded at the same time as Bioware decided to go more in-depth with the Reapers, in the second game. All the cool planets from 1 like the one that got railgun'd? Mostly tied to Reapers. The ancient civilisations in the descriptions from 2? Glassed by reapers. Rachni? Reapers did it. Ancient artifacts? Reaper artifacts (also you're now indoctrinated).

E:

PupsOfWar posted:

"All civilian leadership is weak and corrupt! We need the stern and noble guidance of the military caste!"

- Mass Effect, 2007 - 2013

Just once I'd love to see some sci-fi where the military goes in guns blazing against the ancient alien threat that the :shepface: politicians :shepface: don't understand, only to royally gently caress everything up. And then get spaced for breaking the chain of command to go full :freep:.

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

sassassin posted:

People who put him on the Council are playing a cruel and hilarious joke on the man.

And yet if you put Udina on the council he immediately powers up and burns the turian councilor, so it's like they're trying to say something here. Thematically it works so much better from 1->3 with Udina on the council the whole time. It makes his motives a lot more understandable; the guy was perpetually frustrated for three years and he couldn't do what needed to be done for his entire species at the critical moment he needed to do something, where all his hard work should've "paid off." It didn't, and he got desperate.

It's a hard balancing act, getting the "should we let the player pick something here" balance right. I'd argue the Udina/Anderson thing was a total flop even before a choice was forced on you in 3. Remember, this wasn't even in the ME1->2 save import process, this should've been a clue. :v:

e: grammar

Psion fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 9, 2014

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Psion posted:

And yet if you put Udina on the council he immediately powers up and burns the turian councilor immediately, so it's like they're trying to say something here. Thematically it works so much better from 1->3 with Udina on the council the whole time. It makes his motives a lot more understandable; the guy was perpetually frustrated for three years and he couldn't do what needed to be done for his entire species at the critical moment he needed to do something, where all his hard work should've "paid off." It didn't, and he got desperate.

It's a hard balancing act, getting the "should we let the player pick something here" balance right. I'd argue the Udina/Anderson thing was a total flop even before a choice was forced on you in 3. Remember, this wasn't even in the ME1->2 save import process, this should've been a clue. :v:

Right, it's also obviously ridiculous that such an important position will not be filled according to politics at home. That politicians would really let Shepard choose the human councilor is totally divorced from reality. And so it's rather clear that Udina was the obvious choice here, having had enough support from home to become ambassador.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I think that they imply Shepard's public support as a war hero would be enough to swing the election it either way. Which is still pretty naive. So yeah again poblic support from home would see Udina win. Also that accent :allears:

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Dan Didio posted:

- All Military Science Fiction since forever.

An under-appreciated failing of this series is that it never decided whether it wanted to be MilSF or Heroic Space Fantasyy, and the two subgenres got in each others' way all the time.

Halo manages this distinction a bit better, despite being a rah rah fratboy shooter, just because Master Chief, as a gruff blank, is allowed to maintain some distance both from the rah rah military narrative and from the grandiose cosmic narrative.

With Shepard they want the same character to be Stern No-nonsense Military Leader, Chosen One and Inspiring Political Leader,all in one, and those are hard to balance. I'm convinced this is the reason for some of the more boneheaded decisions.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 9, 2014

Veotax
May 16, 2006

ghouldaddy07 posted:

Anyone think we will get a mass effect reveal at E3?

There are the rumors going around of a PS4/Xbone trilogy re-release, so I expect we'll get that in the very least.

Maybe a ME4 teaser if we're lucky.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

That's all Kotaku's showing

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
so, prequel.

cool. :yawn:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Mr Dog posted:

so, prequel.

Did they say it was a prequel?

etjester
Jul 14, 2008

[insert text here]

Pattonesque posted:

Did they say it was a prequel?

They didn't say anything.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

etjester posted:

They didn't say anything.
Beyond "New areas!" and "New characters to fall in love with!", they really didn't.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Mr Dog posted:

so, prequel.

Hope it isn't. I'm not buying another Mass Effect unless they're forced to write through the poo poo jungle they started.

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

Aside from a dumb pointless prequel story, think of all the good ME3 weapons that wouldn't make it into a prequel: Javelin, GPS, Black Widow, Scorpion, Reegar, etc

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Mr Dog posted:

so, prequel.

Where the gently caress did you get prequel from? They didn't say a god drat thing.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
did they show anything?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Raygereio posted:

Beyond "New areas!" and "New characters to fall in love with!", they really didn't.

Also listening to feedback, which would make it not a prequel.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

JawKnee posted:

did they show anything?

Just a bunch of 'conceptual prototype' footage. Nothing of an actual game.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
I really thought they would have something concrete to show by now.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Veotax posted:

The Wards sound like you could do some cool poo poo there, but for some reason Bioware seems obsessed with showing us the Presidium.
ME2 was Wards-only, but it sucked because the area's design was boring. Just a stack of three rectangles.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Lycus posted:

ME2 was Wards-only, but it sucked because the area's design was boring. Just a stack of three rectangles.

Citadel DLC showed us more Wards areas that looked closer to an actual city. Or that may have been the Presidium, it wasn't all that clear, but that does seem more likely given how upscale it was supposed to be. A full game would probably have a lot more variety than the tiny areas we've seen so far.

Anyway, how about that new game stuff? They've told us absolutely nothing definitive, but at least we know a new one is in the works now.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Lycus posted:

I think you could go to the presidium exactly once in ME2, to get reinstated as a Spectre. Of course it took place in the ambassador's office via holo so it meant jack and poo poo.

honestly none of the hubs in any ME are that great. There's just OK, Bad, and Worse.

Geostomp posted:

Anyway, how about that new game stuff? They've told us absolutely nothing definitive, but at least we know a new one is in the works now.

but this was known months ago, at this point maybe even a year or more. Where's the new information? Any information?

Like I remember hearing the ME3MP team was getting retasked to ME4 about when they dropped support for ME3MP which was what, March 2013?

Psion fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 9, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
We're proud to announce Mass Effect Online the MMO :getin:

Abandon all hope

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
They did confirm that it isn't going to directly continue the Shepherd storyline, which I am perfectly fine with.

This guy seems to really want to avoid any connections to the prior games (re: old characters coming back, he only said that the same races would come back.)

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

guy on Spike right now is refusing to specify where the game falls in the timeline, says they've got an interesting way to incorporate what's happened that will have 'nods to fans' in it, so that sounds like a followup of some kind.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

JawKnee posted:

guy on Spike right now is refusing to specify where the game falls in the timeline, says they've got an interesting way to incorporate what's happened that will have 'nods to fans' in it, so that sounds like a followup of some kind.

Not sure how they're going to follow up on ME3's ending, but anything that distances itself from Casper the Genocidal Ghost and even more Cerberus is a good starting point.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

"well it's been [X] years since that Reaper poo poo happened and thankfully [the relays were fixed / the reapers all flew into the sun / all that glowing green poo poo fell off] but now, space adventures!"

e: oh yeah Cerberus needs to never come back, ever

Psion fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 9, 2014

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Psion posted:

"well it's been [X] years since that Reaper poo poo happened and thankfully [the relays were fixed / the reapers all flew into the sun / all that glowing green poo poo fell off] but now, space adventures!"

Kai Leng has an endless clone bank, all enemies are Kai Leng

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Psion posted:

I bet they pull something really stupid like setting it in the next cycle after ME 1 - 3 and say "oh yeah turns out nomatter what you did in 3 the whole reaper thing was inevitable and just happened anyway, it just got postponed a little"

E: and that'll be the twist ending for the first game in the next trilogy or something

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

you are commandant schepard, loyal soldier in the buman confederacy, you just discovered the ruins of some ancient civilization not unlike your own!

etjester
Jul 14, 2008

[insert text here]
Nah. New galaxy. They'll never address what happened with the ending.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Lemming posted:

Kai Leng has an endless clone bank, all enemies are Kai Leng
New enemies include the Tleilaxu.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Here is all the Mass Effect stuff from EA's press conference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL9FpkvzOGU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Casey and Mac are looking good.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Whoever thought it would be a good idea to preface that trailer with "here are three games from Bioware" as a lead-in, and an actual trailer for Dragon Age: Inquisition.. should be fired. Because hot drat was that a complete non-entity of an announcement. If they really felt the need to announce nothing with such bravado, at least put it before the actual content so you don't piss away the momentum.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Generic American posted:

Whoever thought it would be a good idea to preface that trailer with "here are three games from Bioware" as a lead-in, and an actual trailer for Dragon Age: Inquisition.. should be fired. Because hot drat was that a complete non-entity of an announcement. If they really felt the need to announce nothing with such bravado, at least put it before the actual content so you don't piss away the momentum.

This is basically Games Industry promotion at this point. You get press releases for announcements for teaser trailers showing nothing but logos and whatever asset the developers think is super cool to use as a prop to cover up the fact that they showed literally nothing.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

There's a krogan in that trailer, though, right?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I can't wait to see the reactions on the Bioware forums :allears:

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

lenoon posted:

There's a krogan in that trailer, though, right?

Looks like a krogan

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I'm guessing they'll release more info once the new Dragon Age is released. The new DA game seems to be more open world so I wouldn't be surprised if the next Mass Effect will be in some form as well.

Honestly ME is one series Bioware has yet to gently caress up other than the ME3 ending but everything before that I have thoroughly enjoyed with multiple playthroughs despite their flaws so I'm pretty optimistic about the next one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Mustang posted:

I'm guessing they'll release more info once the new Dragon Age is released. The new DA game seems to be more open world so I wouldn't be surprised if the next Mass Effect will be in some form as well.

Honestly ME is one series Bioware has yet to gently caress up other than the ME3 ending but everything before that I have thoroughly enjoyed with multiple playthroughs despite their flaws so I'm pretty optimistic about the next one.

The ending isn't even really that bad post patch. Yeah it's not great, but it's not bad either. It's just kinda adequate. I can live with that. The journey was fun as hell and Citadel was loving amazing so I'm inclined to say me and Bioware are square.

• Locked thread