Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Apart from the usual frathouse douchebaggery we get up to, I sometimes draw internet memes on blank surfaces when I'm bored. This has been on my white board for months now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

hihifellow posted:

Apart from the usual frathouse douchebaggery we get up to, I sometimes draw internet memes on blank surfaces when I'm bored. This has been on my white board for months now.

I once drew the backtrack logo and it was probably the best drawing I ever did, then they removed it to put up a soccer leaderboard.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004
We just moved to Exchange Online with a 50GB per mailbox limit.

So much for teaching these people how not to be packrats. Our Microsoft rep actually used the ability to never have to empty your deleted items as a selling point.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

vibur posted:

We just moved to Exchange Online with a 50GB per mailbox limit.

So much for teaching these people how not to be packrats. Our Microsoft rep actually used the ability to never have to empty your deleted items as a selling point.

At least you won't have to deal with PST files.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I'll be the wet blanket in the room again. I don't care what dumb, juvenile poo poo you think is funny on your own time, but please keep it out of the office. I don't really want a frathouse dick-and-fart-joke environment in my workplace. I want professionalism.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Entropic posted:

At least you won't have to deal with PST files.

About to move to Office 365 ourselves and this is one of the things I'm looking forward to. No more user bitching about only having a 2GB mailbox. Also each user will get 1TB of online storage which will be a godsend.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

guppy posted:

I'll be the wet blanket in the room again. I don't care what dumb, juvenile poo poo you think is funny on your own time, but please keep it out of the office. I don't really want a frathouse dick-and-fart-joke environment in my workplace. I want professionalism.

I personally think the "sick up your rear end" side is just as bad as the other extreme. People aren't robots. Its nicer when we set our expectations accordingly.

On the otherhand, some young people don't seem understand what pranks are anymore.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

guppy posted:

People need humor to deal with the stress of work, especially IT. Don't be the guy that everyone needs to tip toe around.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

GreenNight posted:

People need humor to deal with the stress of work, especially IT. Don't be the guy that everyone needs to tip toe around.

At my old place, the frat and fartjoke environment extended to the one 'clown' in the office deciding that throwing darts towards peoples feet was an acceptable past-time and stress relief as was an overall environment of hazing and harassing of all members. When I come into work I expect a semi-professional and respectful environment with a bit of fun.

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 9, 2014

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

A little levity keeps us all sane.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

As always there is a limit. Luckily I don't have to deal with either. Although one older gentleman in the IT Dept got fired a few years back for asking an HR lady to have a threesome with him and his wife. I'm not sure why he thought that was appropriate.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
There's fun and then there's some of you chucklefucks that think breaking SATA connectors on another tech's workstation is great because he'll waste a day trying to diagnose it

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

go3 posted:

There's fun and then there's some of you chucklefucks that think breaking SATA connectors on another tech's workstation is great because he'll waste a day trying to diagnose it

Who was the poster? I forgot.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

go3 posted:

That was exactly one person and everyone here read him the riot act for being a shithead. It has nothing to do with a coincidentally humorous set of numbers that showed up at work by luck and brightened up somebody's day. Condemning everyone for having a sense of humor, however juvenile, because of that one incident is loving ridiculous.

The universe wants us to laugh. We have a hole that propels stinky gas past the two flabbiest flaps of fat on our bodies, for gently caress's sake. Pull out whatever obstruction you may have up there and appreciate it.

Edit: When I'm developing applications that display people's names, my test data always includes Weedlord Bonerhitler. It makes me laugh, it makes the co-workers who've seen it laugh, and so far I've always managed to change or remove it before giving formal presentations to the higher-ups. I'll probably forget and get burned for it one day. Don't give a gently caress.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 9, 2014

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

guppy posted:

I'm with guppy on this; it's one thing to set the desktop background on an unlocked computer to David Hasselhoff (and hopefully teach the offender to lock their workstation), but it's another thing entirely to waste time and energy on immature "pranks" or loving around with Nerf guns instead of helping users.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I don't think I have a stick up my rear end, and I can take a joke. If your idea of a joke is farting on other people's chairs, however, not only do I think it's unfunny, I think you have the maturity of a six year old and I begin to doubt that I can leave you alone with anything pointy, much less trust you with anything that matters.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

plainswalker75 posted:

I'm with guppy on this; it's one thing to set the desktop background on an unlocked computer to David Hasselhoff (and hopefully teach the offender to lock their workstation), but it's another thing entirely to waste time and energy on immature "pranks" or loving around with Nerf guns instead of helping users.

The obvious acceptable middle ground between your environment being entirely populated by the cast of Animal House and your environment being entirely populated by Sam the Eagle is mounting a USB Nerf turret on the corner of your desk out of plain view. It's there if you need it and you can work without being a humorless dick.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Sickening posted:

I personally think the "sick up your rear end" side is just as bad as the other extreme. People aren't robots. Its nicer when we set our expectations accordingly.

On the otherhand, some young people don't seem understand what pranks are anymore.

There's a middle ground, and I think that middle ground is, if something makes you uncomfortable, you talk to whomever is doing it and ask them to quit it. And then they quit it, like an adult. I think it's perfectly reasonable to act like a nine year old at times, and still respect others.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

plainswalker75 posted:

Personally, I am anti-nerf gun in a call center environment. I don't know how many times Ive had people I was working with on the phone asking what the sound of the 15 person Nerf gun war was.

Also, hasslehoffing an unlocked desktop im fine with, though there are people I work with who will change backgrounds on unlocked computers and phones to pictures from shock sites which I think is going way to far.

edit: One of the guys had an iphone that was locked without a pin. So the prankster set the background to lemonparty, which synced to icloud and to their icloud photostream. I don't even want to imagine what the conversation between that guy and his wife was like.

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 9, 2014

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

blackswordca posted:

Also, hasslehoffing an unlocked desktop im fine with, though there are people I work with who will change backgrounds on unlocked computers and phones to pictures from shock sites which I think is going way to far.

Now I get to be the wet blanket. I just lock their workstation/phone/whatever and maybe send them an email letting them know so they don't get harassed by someone that wasn't me. :shobon:

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

blackswordca posted:

Personally, I am anti-nerf gun in a call center environment. I don't know how many times Ive had people I was working with on the phone asking what the sound of the 15 person Nerf gun war was.

edit: One of the guys had an iphone that was locked without a pin. So the prankster set the background to lemonparty, which synced to icloud and to their icloud photostream. I don't even want to imagine what the conversation between that guy and his wife was like.

People used to leave their work PC opened with a RDP connection home active. Once they set the background to Gay Batman (Pastel drawing of Batman with his shirt off.) That night he did a presentation for his church going mother in law. Having to explain to her why a Giant semi nude Batman was his wallpaper was priceless.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Holy poo poo we are getting our full bandwidth over this cat 3 cable. 50+Mbps down, 5+Mbps up. Our timewarner subscription is for 50/5 so we are doing a little bit better than that. :stare: This must be a bit better than cat 3 10baset, must be 100BaseVG Cat3 or something? I am loving floored that we are getting the max modem speed out of this.

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.

guppy posted:

I don't think I have a stick up my rear end, and I can take a joke. If your idea of a joke is farting on other people's chairs, however, not only do I think it's unfunny, I think you have the maturity of a six year old and I begin to doubt that I can leave you alone with anything pointy, much less trust you with anything that matters.

You'd be fun in our office. We could tell you many things and watch you go ballistic thinking that we were totally serious. I don't think you have a stick either, but many people seem to be unable to judge what's good and what's not based on who you're working with. Like I totally just licked your straw, can I keep the drink?

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

fromoutofnowhere posted:

You'd be fun in our office. We could tell you many things and watch you go ballistic thinking that we were totally serious. I don't think you have a stick either, but many people seem to be unable to judge what's good and what's not based on who you're working with. Like I totally just licked your straw, can I keep the drink?

Yeah, right, lol!!!!

The other 3rd graders must think you are hilarious!

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
My entire tier one helpdesk is made up of high school students on coop. I can't concentrate for poo poo some days but it's actually a blast and they sound more mature than some of your coworkers. Didn't blacksword post about some guy throwing lawn darts around the office?

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I'm so happy I ended up in an office where everyone is cool and can joke and have fun with each other but everyone also knows where the lines are.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

blackswordca posted:

Hasslehoffing, I was told, is a firable offense here.

Most likely because I heard that one of the employees Hasslehoffed another employee while he was remoted into a customer's server set to full screen. You can guess who really got 'Hoffed.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

So some comedy for today.

An email came in:

The website that paid me, they have been quiet for almost three weeks. The money went in, all is good on that front.

I finally got an email stating they would be transferring the domain to their own host.

Followed by an email with screenshots of the godaddy new account screen asking for all my info, including a credit card number, to transfer the domain to the neutral host.

So I've been emailing back and forth now for an hour. Every time I ask why im paying for the transfer, they just send me an email that explains what the fee is.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Why are you asking? Just tell them that you're not paying for it, especially because they waited so long to pay you for previous work done, and tell them they're lucky you're not charging a late fee.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

totalnewbie posted:

Why are you asking? Just tell them that you're not paying for it, especially because they waited so long to pay you for previous work done, and tell them they're lucky you're not charging a late fee.

I am not going to pay for it, I just want to see what kind of excuse they come up with for expecting me to cover it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

blackswordca posted:

So I've been emailing back and forth now for an hour. Every time I ask why im paying for the transfer, they just send me an email that explains what the fee is.

If I were you I'd have worn out the F-U-C-K-Y-O-U keys by now.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Well I was hoping for more than this, but it turns out they were emailing me by mistake. They meant to email the admin assistant and get her to setup the account.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I just went limp so hard :flaccid:

:rimshot:

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Roargasm posted:

My entire tier one helpdesk is made up of high school students on coop. I can't concentrate for poo poo some days but it's actually a blast and they sound more mature than some of your coworkers. Didn't blacksword post about some guy throwing lawn darts around the office?

No, that was me. I worked in a place that got a dartboard, was too much for the "funny man" to handle and started throwing darts in the style of Yosemite Sam shouting dance! Actually got my in the goddamned foot. Only think kept me from kicking his face in was the fact I was wearing composite toes for a job and the dart was emdedded in the toe over the web of my foot.

Edit: This was also the guy who thought bringing in a Stun Baton was appropriate and condusive to a work environment including offers of anal violation. Operations manager was more or less okay with it, offering that anyone who took it on the taint got to go home early. I worked in a weird place, and am glad that I'm out of it.

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 9, 2014

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Ohh ticket for a printer issue or stun gun to the taint...mmm I know which I'd take :heysexy:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

No, that was me. I worked in a place that got a dartboard, was too much for the "funny man" to handle and started throwing darts in the style of Yosemite Sam shouting dance! Actually got my in the goddamned foot. Only think kept me from kicking his face in was the fact I was wearing composite toes for a job and the dart was emdedded in the toe over the web of my foot.

Edit: This was also the guy who thought bringing in a Stun Baton was appropriate and condusive to a work environment including offers of anal violation. Operations manager was more or less okay with it, offering that anyone who took it on the taint got to go home early. I worked in a weird place, and am glad that I'm out of it.

How did these people not get OSHA powerbombing them with the mother of all lawsuits and getting run out of business? :psyduck:

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

President Ark posted:

How did these people not get OSHA powerbombing them with the mother of all lawsuits and getting run out of business? :psyduck:

"Huh, nothing in the rule book about dogs not being able to play basketball being stunned in the taint. Carry on!"

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

"How about this, boss. If I get zapped in the taint, or tell you what, anywhere else, the guy who zaps me gets to leave early so he can go get his broken fingers splinted."

I know it's frowned upon these days but I can't think of a better word to use for this kind of thing than "retarded." Let's ignore the legality (not a lawyer, but I would call this assault), the liability (hope nobody has a heart condition or a pacemaker or you just got upgraded from mean-spirited prank to negligent homicide). Ignore all that. How about the fact that if you zap the wrong person at the wrong time, you get to experience an office shooting spree from the wrong end?

Then again, this kind of thing seems like common sense to me, which, as we all know, isn't.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Um, sorry I brought up my 69 ticket.

I had no 69 tickets today though, on 6/9.

A coworker once typed a very, very destructive command into a terminal on someone else's computer because he didn't lock it when he went to the bathroom (Didn't submit it, just left it there for the bathroom guy to see). Sure TACACS+ was set up so that the command wouldn't go through and I don't think he was elevated properly for it anyway, but it was still a hosed up thing to do. Every gun is loaded and what not, it was confirmation to my suspicions that the guy was a complete dickhead. Luckily he no longer works with us, sadly he was not fired and left on his own instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Renegret posted:

Um, sorry I brought up my 69 ticket.

Its alright man, some people just don't seem to get that you can gently caress about in your workplace without being an absolute twat. Today I walked in and found my desk had women's health pills on it and "cock" flavoured soup. Usually there's hasselhoffing, one time we made a massive cock out of pens and put it on a co-workers desk who was in the loo, etc.

In fact, because I make chainmail, i've been asked to make a chainmail cock for the office. I'll gladly do it. We hide it from those who give a poo poo, if we ever take it to far we apologise. I still feel bad for the time when I texted an old co-worker "Is that your car at the bottom of the hill" and he legged it down there before glancing out the window. I said sorry though, he got me back, moved on.

Some of you need to chill out.

• Locked thread