Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
A friend told me about new books from Kim Stanley Robinson so I started reading Icehenge last night, really liking the story so far. I wonder how much will be based on the Mars books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I had picked up Joe Abercrombie's The Blade Itself and Red Country from the library last week - I read through The Blade Itself yesterday, enjoyed it a lot, and had to request the other two books in the series through Interlibrary Loan. So I started Red Country today in the meantime, and too late realized that this was set in the same universe as The First Law series and features one of the same main characters in his later years. Now I've been sort of spoiled as to the fate of this character for the rest of the series....but I like the guy so I'm glad he made it out alive.

Red Country is a cross between a fantasy and a western, and it works really well. I've been plowing through it today and hope to finish it at work tomorrow if it's a slow day.

Anyone know if the other two one-off books Abercrombie's written -- Best Served Cold and The Heroes -- are set in this same universe, and should I wait until I've finished The First Law series to read them?

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Rabbit Hill posted:

I had picked up Joe Abercrombie's The Blade Itself and Red Country from the library last week - I read through The Blade Itself yesterday, enjoyed it a lot, and had to request the other two books in the series through Interlibrary Loan. So I started Red Country today in the meantime, and too late realized that this was set in the same universe as The First Law series and features one of the same main characters in his later years. Now I've been sort of spoiled as to the fate of this character for the rest of the series....but I like the guy so I'm glad he made it out alive.

Red Country is a cross between a fantasy and a western, and it works really well. I've been plowing through it today and hope to finish it at work tomorrow if it's a slow day.

Anyone know if the other two one-off books Abercrombie's written -- Best Served Cold and The Heroes -- are set in this same universe, and should I wait until I've finished The First Law series to read them?

They're set in the same universe and you should probably wait - both have many side characters from the main trilogy as main characters, and I don't think it'd be as enjoyable without having read the trilogy first. But make sure you read those two in order, Best Served Cold first then The Heroes. Red Country's characters are almost wholly new except for that one you know already, a couple others are pretty minor.

EDIT: Might as well mention I just started book 11 of Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series, The Reverse of the Medal. I try to read stuff inbetween books of this series so I don't burnout, but starting a new one always makes me smile like seeing an old friend :)

PlushCow fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 27, 2014

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Started a collection of Alvaro Mutis' Maqroll novellas today. I'm enjoying it so far: the first one is a river journey into the jungle, with narration that kind of reminds me of Werner Herzog's monologues in Burden of Dreams.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
Just picked up these 2 books at the library. I had about 3 minutes and grabbed the first things that looked interesting.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm a hundred pages into Gun, With Occasional Music by Jonathan Lethem and I'm enjoying the gently caress out of it.

It's a hardboiled detective story in a future dystopian Bay Area, California which has become a police state. The printed word is outlawed so newspapers are all photographs; and you have to have a special license to even use questions in your day-to-day speech. There aren't any children: babies are accelerated into adults soon after birth.

There's also a secondary class of uplifted animals who work all the menial jobs. One of the antagonists is an anthropomorphic kangaroo, and it gives me a real Tank Girl vibe.

It's such a fascinating world and the plot is really intriguing so far, with multiple murders and the whiff of a conspiracy.

edit: I'm just sad my copy has this boring cover:

Instead of this awesome cover:

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 5, 2014

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

Hedrigall posted:

I'm a hundred pages into Gun, With Occasional Music by Jonathan Lethem and I'm enjoying the gently caress out of it.

It's a hardboiled detective story in a future dystopian Bay Area, California which has become a police state. The printed word is outlawed so newspapers are all photographs; and you have to have a special license to even use questions in your day-to-day speech. There aren't any children: babies are accelerated into adults soon after birth.

There's also a secondary class of uplifted animals who work all the menial jobs. One of the antagonists is an anthropomorphic kangaroo, and it gives me a real Tank Girl vibe.

It's such a fascinating world and the plot is really intriguing so far, with multiple murders and the whiff of a conspiracy.

edit: I'm just sad my copy has this boring cover:

Instead of this awesome cover:

That seems real crazy and intriguing and I'm adding it to my list. Is the writing decent?

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Nova Wars by Gary Gibson.

It's a follow up to Stealing Light.

Really enjoying the series so far. Very Asherian/Banksian and has all my favourite things - good female protagonist, weird tech, grubby populations on hollowed-out asteroids and alien mysteries.

The only downside to the female protagonist is she literally fucks her ship. Bit weird.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

frenchnewwave posted:

That seems real crazy and intriguing and I'm adding it to my list. Is the writing decent?

It's noir-pastiche but I'm really enjoying the use of language and the dialogue is pretty great.

WastedJoker posted:

The only downside to the female protagonist is she literally fucks her ship. Bit weird.

That sounds awesome.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Started Anathem by Neal Stephenson and I like it alright. People say it's ho-hum until some reveal at some point in the book, so I am hoping it arrives sooner rather than later.

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

Here comes the hurdy gurdy man.
They collected The Hamlet, The Town, and The Mansion into one volume:

http://www.amazon.com/Snopes-A-Trilogy-Modern-Library/dp/0679600922/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402333845&sr=8-1&keywords=snopes

Got through about 100 pages yesterday and it's just wonderful.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Just Started:

Lost and Found Stories from New York Edited by Thomas Beller. I won this from the weekly Mr. Beller's Neighborhood back when it was first coming out back in 2009 and never really got around to reading it. I guess that you could say better late than never.

Just brought:

Going Clear

The Bobby Gold Stories

The Rules of Attraction

What I Was Doing While You Were Breeding

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

screenwritersblues posted:

What I Was Doing While You Were Breeding

Is the author as insufferable as you'd assume she is?

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Is the author as insufferable as you'd assume she is?

I hope not. It's a travel memoir that isn't eat pray love, so it should be good. I grabbed it on a whim, so I am going in blind with this one. Also why would you assume that she is insufferable?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

The Tin Drum by Günter Grass. Not too far in, but I'm liking what I'm reading.

It kind of feels like what inspired No Yan's LADAWMO, but I could be way off here.

ulvir fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jun 27, 2014

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

screenwritersblues posted:

I hope not. It's a travel memoir that isn't eat pray love, so it should be good. I grabbed it on a whim, so I am going in blind with this one. Also why would you assume that she is insufferable?

The title is a little judgmental.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Gardens of The Moon, by Steven Erikson, first in the Malazan series. People are on and on about how utterly confusing it is... I don't really feel the same way. Having just finished The First Law trilogy, Erikson's characters do feel a bit roughed out in comparison to Abercrombie's, but it is a nice solid book. It also took a little adjusting to the high fantasy setting, seems like there's magic and wizards and 'bolts of energy' everywhere, but I'm determined to invest time in all ten books. Lord knows it'll take a while.

Sailing To Sarantium, by Guy Gavriel Kay. Picked it up on account of its byzantine-inspired setting. So far so good.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Chamberk posted:

The title is a little judgmental.

And your point is? It's a travel memoir. Some people want to start families while they're approaching 30, while others get wanderlust.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It seems the title is dismissive of people who wasted their time "breeding"

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

"Heh, loving breeders wasting their time with crotchspawns not being childfree like me :smug:"

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

Just got After Babel: Aspects of Language and Translation from the library. Some of it will definitely go over my head, since I barely know anything about translation theory. It's also pretty dense. As for fiction, I downloaded a few French books the other day: Le Rivage des Syrtes (Gracq), Germinal (Zola), and Les Misérables (Hugo). I'm probably going to start with Germinal.

mustermark
Apr 26, 2009

"Mind" is a tool invented by the universe to see itself; but it can never see all of itself, for much the same reason that you can't see your own back (without mirrors).

Mr Underhill posted:

Gardens of The Moon, by Steven Erikson, first in the Malazan series. People are on and on about how utterly confusing it is... I don't really feel the same way. Having just finished The First Law trilogy, Erikson's characters do feel a bit roughed out in comparison to Abercrombie's, but it is a nice solid book. It also took a little adjusting to the high fantasy setting, seems like there's magic and wizards and 'bolts of energy' everywhere, but I'm determined to invest time in all ten books. Lord knows it'll take a while.

Just picked this up in paperback to read on the beach. Good to know it's not awful.

Also picked up Gravity's Rainbow to read once I wrap up the last 100 pages of Infinite Jest. I feel like I've been training for this book for years (read IJ and all of ASoIaF to get back in the habit of big nasty books), and I'm excited to sink my teeth into it.

Infinite Jest might be my all-time favorite book, by the way. I'm going to miss it when it's over.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

TinTin in the Congo by Herge

It was surprisingly difficult to track down but I really do enjoy the writing in TinTin and have for ages; this makes me come closer to completing the series!

Eye of Widesauron fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 29, 2014

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I can't imagine why, it's a classic.

All of the pre-WWII Tintins are really entertaining, for various reasons.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

I can't imagine why, it's a classic.

All of the pre-WWII Tintins are really entertaining, for various reasons.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Apocalypse Now Now by Charlie Human.

I'm about 20% in and I'm not into it. Feels very try-hard in places and the protagonist is slippery. I'm kind of reading a lot of his internal dialogue in the voice of Fred Savage which is weird when he's talking about MILF bestiality anal.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Four Fish by Paul Greenberg

It's about wild fisheries, farmed fish, their abuse and overuse, etc. It's a topic I'm interested in, but I am not overly enthusiastic a couple chapters in (the chapters about wild and farmed salmon, if you've read it). So far it seems to value character and narrative over rigorous analysis. There's nothing wrong with that, but it makes me skeptical of policy / ecology conclusions. But I am willing to keep going for some stories of people and fish, with confidence that they are more or leas non fiction.

Ezreail
Mar 25, 2013
Carl Sagan - Cosmos

Always a good science classic

James Clavell - Shogun

Feudal Japanese and a white guy, oh yeah lots of death

All Nines
Aug 12, 2011

Elves get all the nice things. Why can't I have a dinosaur?
The Birth of Tragedy. If this is the writing that Nietzsche was embarrassed by later in life, I can't wait to read the books that he apparently considered more mature. Sure, maybe the density of lyricism and imagery is a bit much, but these moments are at least individually fantastic, in my opinion. Though admittedly this book's started to become hard to follow now that he's introduced the aesthetical objective vs. subjective debate as it relates to his concepts of the Apollonian and Dionysian, i.e. the Apollonian prefers objectivity, yet it's the artistic state that deals in craft and illusions? Definitely something I'll need to come back to and on which I'll need to see more educated opinions. Or maybe I just need to reread that section at some point.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

The Ocean at the End of the Lane. I've always been a moderate to severe Gaiman fan and I've heard good things about this book in particular. I like it so far, and it's nice to read some fantasy again.

All Nines
Aug 12, 2011

Oh hey, that same book just arrived on my doorstep. I forgot that I'd entered the Goodreads giveaway (and Goodreads apparently hasn't posted the winners just yet), but I guess I'll have to put this one high-ish on my priority list.

clarion ravenwood
Aug 5, 2005

Just got Infinite Jest. A little bit afraid, a little bit excited.

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

NORTH KOREA IS ONLY KOREA.
Started reading The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentlemen by Lawrence Sterne a couple of weeks ago and it really is something different. I'm a big dumb idiot and initially it was hard to follow, the language is quite complex for me, but now that I've gotten used to it I'm really starting to enjoy Sterne's humour.

I'd recommend it just because of how unique it is, but beware you'll either love or hate it.

Kim Jong ill fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 2, 2014

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Just began The Man in the High Castle and really enjoying it so far. Read a few of P K Dick's books and this is supposed to be one of the best, I can believe it so far.

All Nines
Aug 12, 2011

Since The Ocean at the End of the Lane ended up being pretty bad after about sixty pages, I've begun a reread of Watership Down. It definitely isn't as good as I thought it was when I was 16, but I know it gets better.

mustermark
Apr 26, 2009

"Mind" is a tool invented by the universe to see itself; but it can never see all of itself, for much the same reason that you can't see your own back (without mirrors).

clarion ravenwood posted:

Just got Infinite Jest. A little bit afraid, a little bit excited.

It's fantastic. I found that having http://infinitesummer.org/ to turn to as a phony book club every few dozen pages made it a lot easier to get through.

clarion ravenwood
Aug 5, 2005

mustermark posted:

It's fantastic. I found that having http://infinitesummer.org/ to turn to as a phony book club every few dozen pages made it a lot easier to get through.

I had no idea that existed, thank you!

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

Just started La Peste by Albert Camus. The subject matter makes me queasy as ever.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Just started Consider the Lobster, by David Foster Wallace. It's witty, engaging, erudite, readable and slightly spergy all at the same time. A wonderful collection of essays, and probably (in light of the above) the perfect menu item for any goon who happens to enjoy that genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...
Just started reading The Three by Sarah Lotz. Four airplanes crash in different parts of the world at the same time, and strangeness ensues. It's written in a World War Z style--various accounts, oral and otherwise, from a number of different characters. I'd seen quite a few blog posts recommending it.

So far I have the exact same problem with this one as I did with WWZ. Essentially, all of the characters and accounts are written in the exact same voice. It gets monotonous. The story has been just interesting enough to pull me along, but I dunno--the author doesn't seem to be a good enough writer to pull this off.

Also, this is a small pet peeve, but when writing from an American's perspective, it's probably wise to stay away from British terminology for things. It really sticks out.

• Locked thread