Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qxx
Dec 2, 2005

Only the wrong survive.
From previous threads, I've predicted a bunch of poo poo that came true or is about to [seemingly] come true. I'm no filthy bookreader but the character's stories and narratives just seemed pretty clear and you could draw logical conclusions. Basically, Oberyn/Mountain and Brienne/Hound [potentially] meeting up. But I am wondering why multiple people in these threads keep making a certain prediction, about a certain someone going to The Wall. I'm going to spoiler it here in case you've evaded it or in case it turns out to be a spoiler: Some people keep mentioning Stannis going to The Wall. Has there been any scenes in the show that support that notion? I kind of remember at the end of season 2 or 3, Davos may have received a letter that mentioned something about White Walkers? Maybe? I really don't seem why people keep saying Stannis is going to march up and help out our boys in black.

qxx fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

qxx posted:

From previous threads, I've predicted a bunch of poo poo that came true or is about to [seemingly] come true. I'm no filthy bookreader but the character's stories and narratives just seemed pretty clear and you could draw logical conclusions. Basically, Oberyn/Mountain and Brienne/Hound [potentially] meeting up. But I am wondering why multiple people in these threads keep making a certain prediction, about a certain someone going to The Wall. I'm going to spoiler it here in case you've evaded it or in case it turns out to be a spoiler: Some people keep mentioning Stannis going to The Wall. Has there been any scenes in the show that support that notion? I kind of remember at the end of season 2 or 3, Davos may have received a letter that mentioned something about White Walkers? Maybe? I really don't seem why people keep saying Stannis is going to march up and help out our boys in black.

The second-to-last scene in S3E10.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

qxx posted:

I don't think I need to spoil it since Stannis (and Mel looking into the fire) did say that the White Walkers were the biggest threat against them after Davos read the bird mail and that he would march north to aid in the fight.

e:

I also don't know if I would call it predicting as much as I would call it paying attention v:v:v

weird Asian candy fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 9, 2014

qxx
Dec 2, 2005

Only the wrong survive.

MrBims posted:

The second-to-last scene in S3E10.

Hmm, I remember that scene I think. Is it online somewhere?

Edit: Oh, I guess that angle wasn't played up much this season? Seemed like Stannis and friends spent all their time trying to get a loan with sweet APR to unseat Team Lannister.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
Mel is essentially the only person who has received the call from Castle Black and gone "oh yeah that's something we gotta take care of".

Added to: when last seen, they were leaving on a trip, likely a long one due to the baths joke she made. They are very close to King's Landing, so it's doubtful they're attacking. Mel wouldn't be needed if they were going elsewhere on Essos to get troops (probably).

Plus, as we saw, the Night's Watch needs help.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

qxx posted:

Hmm, I remember that scene I think. Is it online somewhere?

Edit: Oh, I guess that angle wasn't played up much this season? Seemed like Stannis and friends spent all their time trying to get a loan with sweet APR to unseat Team Lannister.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFjooACGLpI

qxx
Dec 2, 2005

Only the wrong survive.
I remember all of this but it didn't seem like they were urgent about it and most of their comings and goings still seemed to be in focus of King's Landing and the Iron Throne. They didn't really make it plainly obvious that they were the only ones that receive a letter FWD: White Walkers and poo poo

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

qxx posted:

I remember all of this but it didn't seem like they were urgent about it and most of their comings and goings still seemed to be in focus of King's Landing and the Iron Throne. They didn't really make it plainly obvious that they were the only ones that receive a letter FWD: White Walkers and poo poo

Alliser Thorne goes to King's Landing (waaaaaay back in season 1) to try and get help, and takes evidence of the wights that rose up in Castle Black. They'll ask for help from anyone who could give it really.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
e: I am a dumb

e: skip the post of the the person below until they edit out my stupid quote, it has a spoiler and I was bad at tagging it slash shouldn't have mentioned it in the first place

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 9, 2014

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Pyp, more like RYP.

That was a fun episode, I quite liked the scythe. Nice to see a solid hour taking place in the one location too.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

And More posted:

His name is cold cut.

Nice!

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

EccoRaven posted:

Mild book spoilers:

Please stop.

BioMe posted:

Yeah, she only executed like twenty civilians this season.

Potato Kid killing her was loving awesome.

Not that it's okay she killed farmers and poo poo, but the wildlings motivation is certainly the purest and most understandable: in a story where everyone is killing, torturing, and raping for minor political gain, they are literally fighting for the survival of their entire population. The Wall (that they didn't build) essentially made them outlaws, and trapped them with actual evil magical creatures. They killed civilians out of necessity, not perversity.

Bobo the Red fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 9, 2014

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

EccoRaven posted:

Mild book spoilers:
It doesn't help that Stannis actually does go to the Wall in the books, so book readers say it with great certainty.

That is one of the like ~3 things about which I've been spoiled that haven't happened yet.

I don't usually give a poo poo about spoilers, but please stop. Don't put "mild" like that's a non-event or something

edit:

This episode ruled btw. So many awesome scenes, giants are awesome.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

EccoRaven posted:

Mild book spoilers:

That is one of the like ~3 things about which I've been spoiled that haven't happened yet.

That is not mild at all you rear end in a top hat

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

EccoRaven posted:

Mild book spoilers:

I don't get how people can be this dumb.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I'm sorry, I thought it wasn't serious :(

Legitimately feel bad now, I'll edit my post.

e: I swear I haven't touched one of the books in my life, I'm genuinely sorry if that spoiled something for you; I'm part of the problem though and I promise to watch what I post in the future (or just not post anymore)

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 9, 2014

Kukash
Apr 22, 2010
Has anyone mentioned the mammoth with his rear end on fire. That was my favorite part.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Kukash posted:

Has anyone mentioned the mammoth with his rear end on fire. That was my favorite part.

The mammoth ruled. The giants loving ruled. How come there were only 2 giants for like 100,000 wildlings? I'm guessing they are super rare since the counsel basically laughed at Jon Snuh when he brought it up?

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Vehementi posted:

I guess his neck bite is a significant thing and it needed to happen anyway, so they just had a random mook bite him. The character you describe did get cut.

No. The dumb guy Arya killed was Rorge and the guy who bit the hound is named Biter (Don't look him up, possible spoilers). Arya saved them from the burning wagon a loooooong time ago.
Rorge and Biter. In fact, I think that's why they were in the wagon. Biter is so dangerous they give him the silence of the lambs treatment.

Baldbeard fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 9, 2014

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Shath Hole posted:

The mammoth ruled. The giants loving ruled. How come there were only 2 giants for like 100,000 wildlings? I'm guessing they are super rare since the counsel basically laughed at Jon Snuh when he brought it up?

Which is more rare, alive Starks or Giants?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Elephanthead posted:

At least the Series Bible doesn't contain an expect prohibition about two giants ever being in the same scene with each other.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
What do you say when a Stark pays his debts?

YOU OWE NOTHING, JON SNOW

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Bobo the Red posted:

Not that it's okay she killed farmers and poo poo, but the wildlings motivation is certainly the purest and most understandable: in a story where everyone is killing, torturing, and raping for minor political gain, they are literally fighting for the survival of their entire population. The Wall (that they didn't build) essentially made them outlaws, and trapped them with actual evil magical creatures. They killed civilians out of necessity, not perversity.

Killing the Crows was necessary, killing random farmers gained them nothing. At the very best it was calculated to draw the Watch out into the countryside, which didn't even work. Even if they were to settle, the North isn't exactly looking overfarmed.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Elephanthead posted:

At this pace, they both will be extinct by Sunday!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Shath Hole posted:

It's not a spoiler since I doubt they'll even talk about the makeup of the different clans and people who make up the Wildling army but yeah, Giants are said to be pretty rare in the books.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
I want a Giant gently caress scene before this series ends.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
tormund is going to gently caress

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

IMB posted:

I want a Giant gently caress scene before this series ends.

Maybe Sansa will be so overcome with joy the Hound has brought Arya home that you will get your giant gently caress scene :)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Shath Hole posted:

Maybe Sansa will be so overcome with joy the Hound has brought Arya home that you will get your giant gently caress scene :)

I got the feeling that they aren't letting the Hound into the Vale, and he doesn't have any reason to push his case given he has no idea that Littlefinger is a) in control for the time being and b) might actually be quite interested in ransoming Arya.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Shath Hole posted:

How come there were only 2 giants for like 100,000 wildlings? I'm guessing they are super rare since the counsel basically laughed at Jon Snuh when he brought it up?

Budget.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Strategic Tea posted:

Killing the Crows was necessary, killing random farmers gained them nothing. At the very best it was calculated to draw the Watch out into the countryside, which didn't even work. Even if they were to settle, the North isn't exactly looking overfarmed.

Cutting off supply lines and luring people out the keep they're defending are both legitimate ways to try to deal with a siege.

Sadly, the wildlings and the Northerners can't coexist, because the wildlings have been marginalized for centuries because of the Wall. I guess they could just ignore the villages and cities that supply the fortresses they absolutely need to get past in order to survive the coming winter, but it would be loving stupid as hell. Killing those people was a necessity. It's not cool, but acting like it makes them as bad as the Mountain or really anyone from souh of the Wall is silly.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Bobo the Red posted:

Cutting off supply lines and luring people out the keep they're defending are both legitimate ways to try to deal with a siege.

Sadly, the wildlings and the Northerners can't coexist, because the wildlings have been marginalized for centuries because of the Wall. I guess they could just ignore the villages and cities that supply the fortresses they absolutely need to get past in order to survive the coming winter, but it would be loving stupid as hell. Killing those people was a necessity. It's not cool, but acting like it makes them as bad as the Mountain or really anyone from souh of the Wall is silly.

Yeah, really. A whole lot of people need to check their Southern privilege.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
That joke is problematic.

Bobo the Red posted:

It's not cool, but acting like it makes them as bad as the Mountain or really anyone from souh of the Wall is silly.

Yeah, GRRM's drawn a lot of inspiration from history and that kind of thing was par for the course.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Watched this episode with two dirty befouled book readers and they loved it. The action was top notch and the quality of the special effects was really good. I thought it was one of the best episodes of the season and absolutely enjoyed it. Anyone who disliked this ep or felt it didn't live up to expectations need to stop being sperg-lords and fight me. Trial by combat style.

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
The guy who was leading the group of 5 in the tunnel against the giant... I liked him. Pretty awesome of him to be so brave and take out the giant. :(

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

PT6A posted:

Yeah, really. A whole lot of people need to check their Southern privilege.

As a western Canadian/viking descendant who kinda looks like the bear fucker when I grow a beard, I identify with the wildlings. :colbert:

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Hand of the King posted:

The guy who was leading the group of 5 in the tunnel against the giant... I liked him. Pretty awesome of him to be so brave and take out the giant. :(

They all would have lived if they remembered spears existed

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Shath Hole posted:

Pretty sure the wildlings regarded that attack as a probe or a skirmish seeing as how most of them just lined up and yelled at the wall. They tested the tunnel/gate, seeing what would happen if they climbed and what kinda archer strength they got.

And also discovered the scythe :unsmith:

Mance wasnt even in the episode, hes probably warming his rear end by the huge fire with 100 giants and 75k wildlings all loving bears.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Bobo the Red posted:

They all would have lived if they remembered spears existed

Spears also tend to snap in half easily because they're made of wood, something you don't exactly want to use against a giant that just lifted a 5k pound gate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Doltos posted:

Spears also tend to snap in half easily because they're made of wood, something you don't exactly want to use against a giant that just lifted a 5k pound gate.

Could softened him up with some arrows at least.

• Locked thread