Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

FrozenVent posted:

Nothing to lose by asking your friend, but if it's been three weeks since the initial phone screen and you haven't heard anything, it's not looking great.

Well from this I have learned that basically everybody is super busy and in and out of the office on important things the past couple weeks so :suicide:

gently caress job searches.

E: didn't get it. Back to square "gently caress you" I guess.

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Is it bad to wear a suit with pinstripes to an interview? It's charcoal and the stripes are very conservative and thin, I just am dumb and my plain charcoal suit is in another city.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Is it clean? Does it fit?

Don't make a big thing about it, you'll be fine.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Pron on VHS posted:

Is it bad to wear a suit with pinstripes to an interview? It's charcoal and the stripes are very conservative and thin, I just am dumb and my plain charcoal suit is in another city.

Questions like this keep popping up and are unanswerable because it's completely dependent on what industry you're in and what type of job you're applying for.

For me (manufacturing) I would expect someone to wear business formal to the interview, but could give a poo poo what color the suit, shirt, tie, etc. is., I just care that you can dress professionally. Law, Wall Street, etc., might see it differently.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

If you're a dude then yeah it's a lot easier, just wear a suit that's clean, properly ironed, and fits you correctly and you'll be fine. You may be overdressed for the interview depending on how your company is, but nobody actually holds that against you. I once had an interview where I was fully suited and one of my interviewers was wearing a hoodie and baggy jeans. I have never felt more overdressed in my life.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
Has anyone tried putting coursera courses on their resume? Curiousif anyone takes them seriously. Anecdotally, i know some tech companies will count them in your favor.

Also, what is best practices for keeping a resume updated while working? Id liketo make my next job search less painful. E.g. writing down accomplishments as you go, etc. To make it easier to update your resume whenor if you move on

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Thanks guys. It's at a healthcare consulting company for a managerial position. I was just worried about the pinstripes.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
I've been approached to apply for a job, but as part of the application they insist on knowing my current salary and job level. The job is at a finance company and at an associate level, and as such the bottom of their guide salary is about 55% more than I'm paid right now. I've not worked for a finance company or in their specific flavour of money stuff, but I have lots of experience with the rest. What do I write? I'm worried being hard line about not giving a figure will put them off since it's not a US/EU company.

radlum posted:

I live in Peru. Some companies have their own sites for job offers, but most of the time, they just use one of these sites.

There are a couple of sites that are just for job postings; you register, upload your resume or fill in some related info and look for a job offer. If interested, just select an option to apply and the site sends your information to the employer. The thing is, I know no one that this has worked for.

I've never got any interview or any contact after applying through those places... But I have had recruiters contact me off their own back through them, usually about 1 a month, and with much better/more interesting jobs than are generally around. I find those sites most useful for finding good recruiters and I now have a couple through those places that I chat to a few of times a year when I've upgraded my qualifications or something. Just be careful with what info you put up, unscrupulous people will steal your C.V. (really, weird I know, but they do) or use it as a way to get phone nos for spamming.

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib
If a job requires or prefers candidates with a PhD, are they expecting an academic type CV with publications, etc.? I've crafted a CV with "selected" publications and presentations, but it's two pages long as opposed to the preferred one-page limit. The jobs I'm applying for aren't necessarily research-oriented, but some of my publications speak to my expertise in the field, so including them would seem valuable for that reason. I've left off other typical academic things like teaching and service.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
By the time you have a Ph. D. it's ok to have a two page resume, if you're applying to jobs that require a Ph.D. The "limits" and "rules" of resume writing are more like guidelines, anyway.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jun 5, 2014

Duxwig
Oct 21, 2005

Duxwig fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 24, 2019

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Shugojin posted:

I once had an interview where I was fully suited and one of my interviewers was wearing a hoodie and baggy jeans. I have never felt more overdressed in my life.

This happened to me last Friday. I was literally the best dressed person (with a pin-stripe suit, no less!) in the comapany's office, and despite that, I still ended up getting an offer.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I found a position that I'm applying for that is basically the exact same job I'm doing now. Is it alright to lift exact lines from their job posting to put into the cover letter?

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Big City Drinkin posted:

If a job requires or prefers candidates with a PhD, are they expecting an academic type CV with publications, etc.? I've crafted a CV with "selected" publications and presentations, but it's two pages long as opposed to the preferred one-page limit. The jobs I'm applying for aren't necessarily research-oriented, but some of my publications speak to my expertise in the field, so including them would seem valuable for that reason. I've left off other typical academic things like teaching and service.

That's fine.

Duxwig posted:

Question on including or excluding college transcripts from an interview packet or on your resume.

I'd do what you did last time, to list that you attended and how many credits you earned, so that they have full disclosure. For most private-sector jobs I'd say to leave it off, but for the public sector, they're going to want to know and it likely will hurt you to gloss over it, assuming it is 'required' for your promotional position like it was for your current one.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Elder Postsman posted:

This happened to me last Friday. I was literally the best dressed person (with a pin-stripe suit, no less!) in the comapany's office, and despite that, I still ended up getting an offer.

Yeah like I said, interviewers won't care if you're overdressed if they didn't specifically say it's casual because it basically says you're taking the whole thing seriously.

Also I don't think I'd care to work anyplace where the interviewer got upset that I was dressed more formally than them anyway :v:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

semicolonsrock posted:

Has anyone tried putting coursera courses on their resume? Curiousif anyone takes them seriously. Anecdotally, i know some tech companies will count them in your favor.

Also, what is best practices for keeping a resume updated while working? Id liketo make my next job search less painful. E.g. writing down accomplishments as you go, etc. To make it easier to update your resume whenor if you move on
Tech person responding: I wouldn't care at all in either direction if someone posted a handful of random four-week Coursera courses, but if you did a big half-year thing like that data science specialization I'd probably ask questions about it.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I wore a sweater vest to my last interview. They offered me the job two days later. :smugdog:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

DemeaninDemon posted:

I wore a sweater vest to my last interview. They offered me the job two days later. :smugdog:

Congratulations, Professor.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
There are two positions I'd like to apply for in the same department. Given that a cover letter is supposed to display how much you want this particular job, do I need to apply for one and forget the other? Is there a proper etiquette for applying to both so as not to hurt my chances?

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

There are two positions I'd like to apply for in the same department. Given that a cover letter is supposed to display how much you want this particular job, do I need to apply for one and forget the other? Is there a proper etiquette for applying to both so as not to hurt my chances?

There's nothing wrong with applying for two jobs in the same department if you're a reasonably qualified candidate for each. I'd say if you can write a good cover letter for each position, there's nothing wrong in doing so. If your cover letter for either one is weak or mediocre (if you can't come up with something enticing), I wouldn't apply to it.

We've done a fair amount of hiring in my department (quality) and in R&D, and have had job postings come up at the same time with people applying to both every once in a while. Lots of chemists have experience in both departments, we've never had to fight over anyone before but we obviously talk to each other. I would never blanketly throw away a good candidate for my dept. just because they applied to theirs with a crap cover letter, but it might make me think about their motivation a little more.

Wanting a job doesn't mean you have to want just that one job. Reasonable hiring managers understand this. As long as you're not just bombarding a company with resumes there's nothing wrong with it. The test is whether or not your cover letter/resume/other application materials come up as compelling.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

DemeaninDemon posted:

Congratulations, President Santorum

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I'm looking at a job posting that says "three years of relevant experience required". I have about seven, when I started my current job two years ago it was a five years of experience required thing.

All other things being equal, is it still worth applying, or am I going to be overqualified? It's a small industry, so if I apply it will come back to my current employer, and I don't want to take too many chances.

joyfulgirl129
Aug 22, 2006

seacat posted:

It's hard to tell without you describing the position more, but yeah, she's not very good at interviewing, but you probably came off like a bit of a dick.

1. 98% of the time, people go by their first names in business. If this bugs you, well, learn to deal with it. This includes everyone from entry level grunts to departmental directors to Fortune 500 C-class execs. I call our CEO by his first name. You probably came of really weird insisting on Ms whatever.

2. She shouldn't have asked it that way, yeah, but she just wants to know if you can travel out of state for work. There is nothing illegal about asking about your home life, marital status, race, religion, or whatever. The way to respond would be to warmly say there's nothing about your personal life that would stop you from traveling. Telling them "I don't answer questions about my personal life" just makes you come across as cold. They want to get to know you a little to see if they can work with you and there's nothing wrong with that.

3. Clueless interviewer yeah, not necessarily a red flag. If they want to make sure their expectations match yours, put the f-ing salary range in the job ad, DOE. Otherwise don't bitch. However I think you're limiting yourself a little by not talking about salary *at all* until the offer stage. You were obviously right not to tell them what you currently make but saying "I'm looking for a range of $-$ depending on benefits" will save you a lot of time. Do you really want to waste your time going through three rounds of interviews and getting an offer 30K less than what you were expecting?

Proceed with caution, but I doubt you'll get a call-back from this lady.

Update: I did get a call (email) despite the tense interview, but the director wants to know if I can interview this weekend. Like tomorrow or Sunday.

I've already committed to volunteer at a big event at the local animal shelter both days. Should I push off until next week? I'm not desperate to leave my job but I do want to see what's out there. I'm new to the city and took the first job offered, which I will admit is pretty good but not amazing.

Is this weird? It's not a small organization.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I say tell them you are volunteering and when you'll be free. Who's gonna hold it against you if you're not available because you're helping animals? No one with a loving heart. :colbert:

joyfulgirl129
Aug 22, 2006

That's pretty much the plan; I was wondering if interviewing on weekends is a standard business practice now.
And I'm not backing out on helping another dog foster find a home for Rocky. (Pic to follow) during Pawdoptathon 2014.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Hey guys, I'm not sure if this is a regional thing, but I've trying to apply to a bunch of jobs in the Bay Area, and I'm getting jack all in terms of replies. Whereas back here in London (UK) I get spammed with job offers. I'm a contractor at the moment, and the pay is ridiculously good, but I've been trying to change locations for a bit now, and so far have come out completely confused.

I've got a fair bit of experience in my field (UX/UI) with a bunch of high profile projects to my name, but I've yet to get a reply from a US company. Are foreigner resumes generally ignored, or do I need to put a US address on my thing, as I've heard that can make or break the deal for a large number of companies? I kinda expected large tech firms to look beyond that.

Additionally, how does once become a contractor in the US? In the UK it is pretty common to create your own company and do everything through it, is the process similar in the US? How can a dirty European become a contractor in the US (if at all)? Can anyone open an LLC, or is the process convoluted?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I want to apply to a laboratory instructor at a university. They are asking for an actual CV rather than a resume. What exactly goes on there that you wouldn't find on a resume? I know they're supposed to be more comprehensive, but considering I just got out of grad school with little actual work experience under my belt I don't think my CV would be much different, if at all, from a typical resume.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
Hey guys I posted my resume a while ago I made some changes and have been applying to a ton of places, but can't even seem to get a call back. Here is my current resume, I am not sure whats wrong :\.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7CJULIN0qqPZUJhQTczTHE4em8/edit?usp=sharing

edit: there isn't that much spacing between the bullets and writing, google docs error. Also here is my current cover letter.

quote:

Dear Hiring Manager,

I am a recent Chemical Engineering graduate from the Florida State University, and I am emailing you because I am very interested in the Process Engineer position in Memphis, Tennessee. I believe that my experience with bench scale testing and chemical research would be of great use to the DuPont team.

My experience includes working on projects performing bench-scale tests on different pieces of equipment ranging from reactors to distillation columns. For many of these projects I developed the operating procedures and process flow diagrams for the systems examined. As well I was responsible for modeling the systems using both theoretical and statistical models.

Also, I have participated in a research CO-OP doing chemistry research, specifically organic synthesis. This research further developed my understanding of chemistry and proper procedure and record keeping when in a laboratory.

Attached is my resume for review. If you have any questions, please contact me at (850) ***-**** or email me at ****. Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Jesus Del Rosario

Xeom fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 8, 2014

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
You don't have any actual work experience, which makes it hard, but still, I'd think with even just a bachelor's in chemical engineering you'd be getting some callbacks. Are you just searching for jobs in Florida? That'll make it harder. edit: Guess your cover letter answers that question

These are all just minor things:

I'd remove the associates degree, doesn't add anything to your resume. Keep the mention of the coop experience, though.
SAChE has a capital E.
Co-op is fine, not CO-OP

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

awesome-express posted:

Hey guys, I'm not sure if this is a regional thing, but I've trying to apply to a bunch of jobs in the Bay Area, and I'm getting jack all in terms of replies. Whereas back here in London (UK) I get spammed with job offers. I'm a contractor at the moment, and the pay is ridiculously good, but I've been trying to change locations for a bit now, and so far have come out completely confused.

I've got a fair bit of experience in my field (UX/UI) with a bunch of high profile projects to my name, but I've yet to get a reply from a US company. Are foreigner resumes generally ignored, or do I need to put a US address on my thing, as I've heard that can make or break the deal for a large number of companies? I kinda expected large tech firms to look beyond that.

Can you work legally in the US? If so, make that :siren: *REALLY loving CLEAR* :siren: on your résumé.

If you don't have a green card... You're probably going to have a really hard time finding work, unless you're like a PhD level type in a field that company really needs.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

awesome-express posted:

Additionally, how does once become a contractor in the US? In the UK it is pretty common to create your own company and do everything through it, is the process similar in the US? How can a dirty European become a contractor in the US (if at all)? Can anyone open an LLC, or is the process convoluted?

Spomsoring someone costs a lot and is not garaunteed.

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

Xeom posted:

Hey guys I posted my resume a while ago I made some changes and have been applying to a ton of places, but can't even seem to get a call back. Here is my current resume, I am not sure whats wrong :\.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7CJULIN0qqPZUJhQTczTHE4em8/edit?usp=sharing

edit: there isn't that much spacing between the bullets and writing, google docs error. Also here is my current cover letter.

Here is a very basic critique. Basically, you need to focus on particular skills and methods you are familiar with since you don't have any recent work experience. You can do this by adding them to the academic projects and skills section, and putting a "relevant" coursework under your degree. Hope this helps!

Goon Approved Resume and CV Writing Service
http://bit.ly/ForumsCritique
My service will get you job interviews!

R2ICustomerSupport fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 8, 2014

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
Is it ever acceptable to ask about jargon in the job description in the interview? I can't tell if it's been put in to try and test to see if you ask about it or if it's something I'm legitimately supposed to know about.

Some are just ungoogably vague terms like "central process" or internal nicknames for company teams, NB group and QWERTY project stakeholders etc. Others I just get lots of results with companies talking about how SFJDKF 'marketized insights' to save BIG MONEY without mentioning what it is and how you actually do it.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
If it's not something you can google, go ahead. It'll backfire a little bit though if it ends up being industry standard jargon, rather than just internal stuff.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I want to send a thank you e-mail to the 2 managers who interviewed me on Friday. It is for a Product Manager position in a health consulting firm. During the interview I called them by their first names, but now that I am writing the e-mail, it feels weird starting it with "Dear Mary", it sounds too personal. They are both in their thirties and mid-level, is it too formal and stiff to say "Dear Ms. Linked"? How should I address them in the opening line? Is even the "Dear" too formal?

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Pron on VHS posted:

I want to send a thank you e-mail to the 2 managers who interviewed me on Friday. It is for a Product Manager position in a health consulting firm. During the interview I called them by their first names, but now that I am writing the e-mail, it feels weird starting it with "Dear Mary", it sounds too personal. They are both in their thirties and mid-level, is it too formal and stiff to say "Dear Ms. Linked"? How should I address them in the opening line? Is even the "Dear" too formal?

First names are completely fine, especially if you were on a first-name basis with them on the interview. Honestly nobody is going to hold it against you if you call them Mr/Ms X in an e-mail, if you feel more comfortable with that go ahead, as long as your letter is professional and polite it won't make a difference either way.

"Dear X" is standard for almost any business of industry and is just American writing style. Typically thank-you notes should go something like:

"Dear John,
Thank you for interviewing me for the position of <X>. I enjoyed talking with you about <specific thing you guys actually discussed in the interview>. I hope to hear from you soon. Sincerely, Applicant".

I've interviewed a couple people who insisted on calling me Mr. Seacat. I usually just smiled and said "please, call me Bob" -- it just felt a little too awkwardly formal (although I never held it against them).

The only exception is people who have a doctorate (MD or PhD), some people holding such degrees are pretty particular about being called Dr. X even in person, but they are in the minority.

seacat fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 9, 2014

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

Had a phone interview Friday and it went well I think, the interviewer ended up discussing what next steps would be in the interview process and the timeline for filling the position so that's probably good.

Problem is that I don't have any of the interviewer's contact info to thank her... The screening was setup by an HR person and that's the only contact info I have. I thanked the HR person for facilitating but I've searched around for an email address for the interviewer and have come up blank.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
Thank you the critiques DustingDuvet and Xandu.

I am not entirely sure about this new resume. I am not so sure people are interested in the fact that that I was a server and custodian while going to school, but I will try this new resume for a while.

Here's the new one, https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7CJULIN0qqPRTYtNkNHZHhCVzg/edit?usp=sharing .

If anybody sees some minor mistakes or thinks I should stick with the old one let me know.

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

Xeom posted:

Thank you the critiques DustingDuvet and Xandu.

I am not entirely sure about this new resume. I am not so sure people are interested in the fact that that I was a server and custodian while going to school, but I will try this new resume for a while.

Here's the new one, https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7CJULIN0qqPRTYtNkNHZHhCVzg/edit?usp=sharing .

If anybody sees some minor mistakes or thinks I should stick with the old one let me know.

I still see plenty of issues, especially with your work experience section. Just a heads up your full name is shown in this upload. I think you meant to take that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008
^: Also, the formatting is amateurish and there's several grammatical/syntax errors. This may be a circumstance where paying someone like DD to help you learn how to phrase things would be worthwhile.

Dijkstra posted:

Had a phone interview Friday and it went well I think, the interviewer ended up discussing what next steps would be in the interview process and the timeline for filling the position so that's probably good.

Problem is that I don't have any of the interviewer's contact info to thank her... The screening was setup by an HR person and that's the only contact info I have. I thanked the HR person for facilitating but I've searched around for an email address for the interviewer and have come up blank.

Email it to the HR person and ask them to forward it to the interviewer.