Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

The whole succubi thing is just funny. I mean the weapons are a squirt gun and a loving pillow. Can we all just chill out and have a chuckle about how ridiculous and stupid it is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Devolver Digital's doing another big sale on Steam. All of the Serious Sam games are 75% off, while DN3D and SW classic are 50% off. The only real new deal is Serious Sam Revolution for $2.49 USD. The team behind SSR has done a really good job with updates; within a month, they're removed a ton of bugs, replaced SDK coding with a scripting system, added two semi-new weapons from a mod packed in with TSE to both deathmatch and the campaign, creating mutators that allow you to spawn in a shitload of enemies like the old Parse Error mods, and have added two more survival levels, even though the whole point of the game is simply to get the original Serious Sam games working on. It's worth picking up if you liked the originals, but were slightly put off by the HD games. If they keep it up, I'm tempted to say that SSR will be the definitive version of the original games, not SSHD. Even though it's currently Early Access, it's really worth picking up for 75% off.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Bouchacha posted:

The whole succubi thing is just funny. I mean the weapons are a squirt gun and a loving pillow. Can we all just chill out and have a chuckle about how ridiculous and stupid it is?

Yeah basically this, it's about as harmless as this kind of thing gets.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I assume all y'all missed the marine receiving a titjob from the hell succubus?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

The whole thing was so titillating I didn't quite make it that far.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

The video was so blurry it was hard for me to make out exactly what was going on until I watched it a second time.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
A bunch of Id's old Softdisk-era pre-Id stuff got GPLed recently if you want to poke around some of Carmack's earlier work like the Catacombs games and Hovertank 3-D. Apparently the ECWolf developer had his fingers in this, so maybe something nice will come of this...

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Oh wow, we're getting unbelievably retro at this point. Weren't these, like, the absolute very first FPS games?

It'll be a blast to check out where the genre was born.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Kind of depends what you consider a first person shooter. Battlezone is arguably a FPS from 1980. Definitely some of the first shooters for the PC though.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Can anyone help identify an older FPS game I used to play?

It was a singleplayer game, taking place in what I could only guess was an alternate WWII timeline. You started off outside in a snow level, and were basically tasked with infiltrating some sort of castle that nazis were in. Shenanigans ensue, and you're somehow transported to some sort of dystopian near(?) future where you once again, fight nazis.

I really wish I had more details, but I can't really remember any :( I'm pretty sure the game was made between 1998-2001.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

TerminusEst13 posted:

Oh wow, we're getting unbelievably retro at this point. Weren't these, like, the absolute very first FPS games?

It'll be a blast to check out where the genre was born.

Maze War in 1974 is probably where to begin.

czg
Dec 17, 2005
hi

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Can anyone help identify an older FPS game I used to play?

It was a singleplayer game, taking place in what I could only guess was an alternate WWII timeline. You started off outside in a snow level, and were basically tasked with infiltrating some sort of castle that nazis were in. Shenanigans ensue, and you're somehow transported to some sort of dystopian near(?) future where you once again, fight nazis.

I really wish I had more details, but I can't really remember any :( I'm pretty sure the game was made between 1998-2001.

Sounds like Mortyr maybe? I've never played it, but I remember the snow/castle level from the demo.
OMM review

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah, I'm going to say it sounds a lot like Mortyr, as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwR4rxoavQk

Only the best in Polish "running around at breackneck speeds, kicking everything while hip-firing a bolt-action rifle" action.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 9, 2014

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

czg posted:

Sounds like Mortyr maybe? I've never played it, but I remember the snow/castle level from the demo.
OMM review

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah, I'm going to say it sounds a lot like Mortyr, as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwR4rxoavQk

Only the best in Polish "running around at breackneck speeds, kicking everything while hip-firing a bolt-action rifle" action.

Yup, that was it! Thanks!

Ninja edit: Was this considered a "good game"? Not trying to troll: i played it when I was probably like 12 or some poo poo and it was so different from the games I usually played back then that I had no idea what to think of it.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

It might have been in Poland, but I've never seen anything particularly flattering - if anything at all - otherwise.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Shadow Hog posted:

It might have been in Poland, but I've never seen anything particularly flattering - if anything at all - otherwise.

Haha yeah, I quickly Googled the game and, well, Wikipedia says...

quote:

Mortyr received overwhelmingly negative reviews upon release, varying from downright poor to mediocre at best. Main gripes included the inconsistent pace of the game, poor enemy AI, and bland level design. It was however, notable for several features, such as a promising graphics engine (seen in the screenshots to the right) and decent sound.

I have no loving idea how I ended up with this game. :v:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

We all have our weird, obscure, kinda-garbage titles that somehow only we wound up playing, I'm sure.

I think mine came from a few '90s "Learn How to Program Games with C" discs that I never bothered doing anything with beyond playing the sample games. Said sample games were... questionable in quality, to put it nicely.

The Kins posted:

A bunch of Id's old Softdisk-era pre-Id stuff got GPLed recently if you want to poke around some of Carmack's earlier work like the Catacombs games and Hovertank 3-D. Apparently the ECWolf developer had his fingers in this, so maybe something nice will come of this...
I sure hope so. Playing Catacombs: The Abyss et al with mouselook would be great; keyboard turn speed is awfully sluggish. Heck, being able to slide against walls in Catacombs 3D would be nice, too.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Now that we're doing old FPS games with forgotten names: I remember playing some old maze game, don't think it was more advanced than Wolfenstein or something. I think it took place in a prison? What I do remember about it is that everything was in black and white, and in a comic book look. I also remember the melee-attack looking really muscular. I don't remember much more about it (got it from one of those 90's demo disks) except that I thought the graphics were really loving cool.

If anyone could help me with this; it's been plaguing me for years!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Now that we're doing old FPS games with forgotten names: I remember playing some old maze game, don't think it was more advanced than Wolfenstein or something. I think it took place in a prison? What I do remember about it is that everything was in black and white, and in a comic book look. I also remember the melee-attack looking really muscular. I don't remember much more about it (got it from one of those 90's demo disks) except that I thought the graphics were really loving cool.

If anyone could help me with this; it's been plaguing me for years!

Only thing I can think of is ZPC. Sorry, i'm phone posting so all i have is a wiki link. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZPC

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Wamdoodle posted:

Only thing I can think of is ZPC. Sorry, i'm phone posting so all i have is a wiki link. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZPC

Thanks, but what I'm thinking is WAY more primitive than that. I know it was indoor only, and it used a really stylised black-and-white scheme. Think Mad World, but less good.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Here's the E3 Doom 4 teaser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYjR5UzhcZA

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Guys, the Doom franchise is dead. :cry:

Sure it might plod along aimlessly for a few more years, but with none of the original creators or technical talent involved it's time to stick a fork in it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
just cancel everything made so far and give it to MachineGames, new Wolf ended up pretty acceptable for a modern shooter.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
The youtube version seems to be much better quality for anyone interested.

^^Thanks for editing that

Mogomra fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 10, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I know the Cyberdemon has always been a demon/machine hybrid and likewise for the Spider Mastermind and Arachnotrons and of course the Pinky Demon and Lost Souls in Doom 3, but that trailer makes it sound like every monster will be like that.

That's moving into Quake 2/4 Strogg territory and I think we've pretty much put a lid on that series and storyline by now with the decent, but not stunning Quake 4.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Mogomra posted:

The youtube version seems to be much better quality for anyone interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYjR5UzhcZA

:raise:

I'm reserving all Doom judgement until I see gameplay.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Has anyone tried that Police Brutality Doom WAD? It's from the guy who made the Nazis! mod and it's got TekWar enemies and upgradeable guns: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=combos/ww-trror.zip

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

I'm interested in that it means it's getting made, and the door sound means they're at least familiar with the classic and how people are still interested in it.

There's really not a whole lot else you can do aside from knee-jerk reactions with that, though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

KozmoNaut posted:

I know the Cyberdemon has always been a demon/machine hybrid and likewise for the Spider Mastermind and Arachnotrons and of course the Pinky Demon and Lost Souls in Doom 3, but that trailer makes it sound like every monster will be like that.

That's moving into Quake 2/4 Strogg territory and I think we've pretty much put a lid on that series and storyline by now with the decent, but not stunning Quake 4.

Yeah, Doom should be more demons, Quake should be more evil cyborgs.

Doom should have some techbase, its on mars/in space, but... not that much. :argh:

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Kind of adorable that they used the old door noise from Doom.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I wish they'd at least call it something other than DOOM. Seriously, that game already exists, everybody already knows it exists, just give it a subtitle or a number or something.

Tiggs
Aug 11, 2002

apophenium posted:

Kind of adorable that they used the old door noise from Doom.
Did DOOM invent that door noise sound effect? I hear it a lot in 90's made for TV films.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Convex posted:

I wish they'd at least call it something other than DOOM. Seriously, that game already exists, everybody already knows it exists, just give it a subtitle or a number or something.

I would like to buy the crappy version of Doom please.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Tiggs posted:

Did DOOM invent that door noise sound effect? I hear it a lot in 90's made for TV films.

It's a stock sound effect. You can hear a lot of Doom in Aliens (in 1986).

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Tiggs posted:

Doom uses tons of stock sound effects; for instance, the Imps make camel grunts when they die. The door, similarly, is a stock sound effect.

It's just a testament to how influential Doom was that we associate the stock sound effects with it. Kind of like how certain stock screams are forever associated with Wilhelm or Goofy.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Tiggs posted:

It's a stock sound, but, like most of the stock sounds used in Doom, it just kind of "belongs" to Doom now

e:f,b

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Reznor did all the sounds for quake, right? I can hear the sounds of picking ammo boxes up, in my dreams. Ching Ching!

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Perkristian tracked down the source of almost every Doom sound effect and made a wad with improved sampling and quality for each sound, and recreated some the best he could. His wad makes the game feel a lot fresher.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shadow Hog posted:

Doom uses tons of stock sound effects; for instance, the Imps make camel grunts when they die. The door, similarly, is a stock sound effect.

It's just a testament to how influential Doom was that we associate the stock sound effects with it. Kind of like how certain stock screams are forever associated with Wilhelm or Goofy.

Warcraft and Starcraft and Blizzard games in general also use a TON of stock sound effects, but they're pretty strongly associated with Blizz now.

I hear the pig farm oink in commercials and movies all the time. And the academy firebat noise is the other famous scream, not the wilhelm, its the other one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Well I'm excited. Even if it's only half as good as Wolf:TNO, it'll be lots of fun.