Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

FoF posted:

So what is the end consensus of TSM 4 or 5. I am pretty sure I have read full papers on it and am no closer to knowing if their is a consensus about good, bad, or very bad.

You definitely want to go with 5.2 or up, there were huge fixes in the TruSperg accuracy levels the meter was reporting after I downloaded the update (I came from 5.1). Newer TSMs (with serial numbers 7451XX and higher) will have 5.3 loaded by default, so unless you're buying from the used market you should be good to go.

The TruSperg levels I was getting out my 4 were laughably inaccurate.

(wapow)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Bedshaped posted:

Actually it is. Super pilots are just so desensitized from reality they think it isn't.

Shrug not to me. Back in the day when I raided in WoW our GL had my phone number and would text me if I wanted to do X raid on Y night. Same premise. If texts cost money like they did back int he day sure, but everyone has unlimited texting now.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FoF posted:

So what is the end consensus of TSM 4 or 5. I am pretty sure I have read full papers on it and am no closer to knowing if their is a consensus about good, bad, or very bad.

I think the pretty clear consensus is that either way, it's a really minor difference in actual EHP, so just save the SP and use it on something else.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Also week 1 of our Biggest Loser: CFC competition wrapped up today and we lost a total of 100 pounds combined over the last week :)

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

deadtear posted:

It's not that either. The way slickdrac made it out, all they did was get onto their forums and found a list of phone numbers belonging to e-important or formerly so. That's not hacking unless they actually had to hack a way onto the forums.

Since we were in Razor, they already had all our APIs with the same stuff in it as the hirr forums uses. They just collected them up and started making accounts on our forums using them. They grabbed a directors API, amusingly another SA member (not one that posts here much if at all), and used it to start locking threads, closing threads, and deleting some while copying whatever they wanted. How and why the tool couldn't catch a duplicate registered API is on us, for sure. Though maybe several weren't if folks made separate ones for RZR forums. That's just part of the fun meta, but there's just some info you don't collect and copy.

Apparently the dude that told me what they did read this forum or had it relayed to them, they're telling me to ring them tonight. Not that anything can get numbers off lists short of actual hacking.

FoF
Mar 22, 2007

I BET THE GOONS DID THIS

ASK ME ABOUT BITCOINS, CIS PRIVILEGE, AND MY MASSIVE KARMA ON REDDIT

evilweasel posted:

I think the pretty clear consensus is that either way, it's a really minor difference in actual EHP, so just save the SP and use it on something else.

Ya it would have been going pretty far down my list of things to train but sitting at 160m SP something like TSM5 in 10 days is actually a decent skill dump if its a boost to tanking. That said I am pretty sure it is actually not good to train to 5.

FoF fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 9, 2014

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Slickdrac posted:

Since we were in Razor, they already had all our APIs with the same stuff in it as the hirr forums uses. They just collected them up and started making accounts on our forums using them. They grabbed a directors API, amusingly another SA member (not one that posts here much if at all), and used it to start locking threads, closing threads, and deleting some while copying whatever they wanted. How and why the tool couldn't catch a duplicate registered API is on us, for sure. Though maybe several weren't if folks made separate ones for RZR forums. That's just part of the fun meta, but there's just some info you don't collect and copy.

Apparently the dude that told me what they did read this forum or had it relayed to them, they're telling me to ring them tonight. Not that anything can get numbers off lists short of actual hacking.

Ahaha what, you guys have dumb bad forums. Y'all got owned.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

If I just want to get enough space gold for PLEX and new shiny space ships to explode every month, is Import/Export with a market alt permacamped in Jita the easiest way to go about it?

I have a few hundred million from my generous newb ISK rain and got myself a Noctis to fart around with and salvage while I wait for my skills to train. Seems like just buying up all the salvage in VFK and exporting it would be a lot more efficient time wise, however.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Bedshaped posted:

Actually it is. Super pilots are just so desensitized from reality they think it isn't.

I routinely drop what I'm doing and drive to a field to be a last minute sub in a game of footy. I'll let them know I can't do that anymore, since it's too weird for internet poster Bedshaped.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Bedshaped posted:

Someone texting you and saying "hey, we're going to the bar in 15, want to join us?" is an acceptable use of a text message, but "hey, we're going to play a video game in 15, want to join us?" isn't. Got it. Thanks for clarification internet forums poster bedshaped.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

deadtear posted:

Ahaha what, you guys have dumb bad forums. Y'all got owned.

Yeah basically. :v:

Piled the :effort: of manual auth with the :effort: of proper API integration into forum.

dotalchemy
Jul 16, 2012

Before they breed, male Mallards have bright green/blue heads. After breeding season, they molt and become brown all over, to make it easier to hide in the brush while nesting.

~SMcD
I used to play an online spaceship turn-based game thing called Planetarion back in the day - early 2000's, and fun fact, that's where Hirr comes from originally if I remember correctly. My very first trial account from 2003 has a short corp history, one of which is Hirr after a friend who played Planetarion invited me in. They were in some highsec system at that point and I was blown away that destroyers were in the corporate hangar and were just free to take.

Anyway, the alliance I was in for Planetarion had a subscription thing for SMS / ICQ / Yahoo! Chat names where you entered your details when authing to their site and they'd text / call at whatever hour and be like "Hey, can you send 1000 BS to 1:3:12 for a 5hr ETA? Now please."

I got promptly fed up with that and spent the rest of my Planetarion career not signing up for each round and just shitposting on the General Discussions forum and hanging about in IRC.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

mrmcd posted:

If I just want to get enough space gold for PLEX and new shiny space ships to explode every month, is Import/Export with a market alt permacamped in Jita the easiest way to go about it?

I have a few hundred million from my generous newb ISK rain and got myself a Noctis to fart around with and salvage while I wait for my skills to train. Seems like just buying up all the salvage in VFK and exporting it would be a lot more efficient time wise, however.

There's a good thread on the GF forums about how to build up your isk. Importing/exporting as a primary source of income requires a lot more then then several hundred million isk to really get going though.

Your best options are salvaging (maybe not post patch though), PI, or straight up PvPing more to get that reimbursement money and valuable experience. Post patch, mining should be pretty viable as well although you'll want to join a group of miners to get the biggest bonuses/safety.

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

mrmcd posted:

Yea I would not suggest importing if you are not already semi-rich. PI is definitely a good option, and you may want to consider a FW alt.

Training up a 10-hour hero and putting it in FW is good for some decent money especially at tier 3/4. Assuming 4 novice plexes per hour (reasonable in my experience) you only make 40m/hr tier 1, but at 3 you can make 140m. Dual boxing helps a lot.

Personally, I do PI and make some extra cash in FW (but im in fweddit so I can do it on my main as well). The issue is that both methods generally require 2 accounts or training up an alt or 2 on your main account. But most ways of making isk require that aside from ratting

thehacker0 fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 9, 2014

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

dotalchemy posted:

I used to play an online spaceship turn-based game thing called Planetarion back in the day - early 2000's, and fun fact, that's where Hirr comes from originally if I remember correctly. My very first trial account from 2003 has a short corp history, one of which is Hirr after a friend who played Planetarion invited me in. They were in some highsec system at that point and I was blown away that destroyers were in the corporate hangar and were just free to take.

Anyway, the alliance I was in for Planetarion had a subscription thing for SMS / ICQ / Yahoo! Chat names where you entered your details when authing to their site and they'd text / call at whatever hour and be like "Hey, can you send 1000 BS to 1:3:12 for a 5hr ETA? Now please."

I got promptly fed up with that and spent the rest of my Planetarion career not signing up for each round and just shitposting on the General Discussions forum and hanging about in IRC.

:hfive: oldschool Planetarion buddy.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Oh man, was Planetarion that web-based game where you would build up a fleet on your planet, and then send it out to either attack or defend? There was a lag between launch and arrival based on something, so if you sent out your fleet there was a chance that your target would either call in help, or try to take your attack and have his friends launch against you while your fleet was out (and then you would have to try and cancel your attack to get your poo poo home on time, or call in other people to save you).

I seem to recall there being a game reset/end or something happening, and pretty much everyone in the game launched a huge assault on the largest player/bloc to end things with a space apocalypse.

dotalchemy
Jul 16, 2012

Before they breed, male Mallards have bright green/blue heads. After breeding season, they molt and become brown all over, to make it easier to hide in the brush while nesting.

~SMcD

Ashcans posted:

Oh man, was Planetarion that web-based game where you would build up a fleet on your planet, and then send it out to either attack or defend? There was a lag between launch and arrival based on something, so if you sent out your fleet there was a chance that your target would either call in help, or try to take your attack and have his friends launch against you while your fleet was out (and then you would have to try and cancel your attack to get your poo poo home on time, or call in other people to save you).

I seem to recall there being a game reset/end or something happening, and pretty much everyone in the game launched a huge assault on the largest player/bloc to end things with a space apocalypse.

Yep, that was it. Each round lasted, what, a month or so? Maybe more? Then at the end of each one, there'd be the inevitable rush of everyone at the top planet.

Luckily, even when I did play, I didn't rank anything higher than 1000ish, so it was never a worry for me.

It's actually still going to this day, and is actually still as poo poo as it used to be, but with 90% less population - http://planetarion.com/

Spinner (the guy who made it originally before selling) is working on a new one too, http://www.ad2460.com/

Anyway. Fun times.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I've given my number to all of 4 internet spaceship people, 2 of which I've since met in real life. Its fine, just make sure the person you give the number to isn't a fuckwit.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

twoot posted:

NCdot has an FC who was on the phone, organising fleets by speaking through a Teamspeak app, while driving (probably speeding) home.

This has happened a couple of times including B-R. Hearing traffic through TS is just weird.

I know SUAS FC'd a fleet while he was driving home. That was an interesting story to hear.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Rhymenoserous posted:

Anyone who has a video game person call their phone so they can rush home and play video games is an inherently broken person who need proper socialization. These phone calls are a way to help.

Is the same true for people with Jabber clients on their phone?

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

dotalchemy posted:

Planetarion was some pretty sweet beans until I discovered Web Space Alliance.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Xolve posted:

Is the same true for people with Jabber clients on their phone?

Yes

(It's me, I'm the broken person)

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I used to drunk dial my WoW buddies all the time. 2008-2010 was probably pretty rough for their sleep.

poo poo was awesome.

MOAR
Mar 6, 2012

Death! Put your jacket on or you'll get frostbite!
Thrown out of Goonwaffe for inactivity no doubt - I'm going to power of 2 train a new alt then re-apply.

Meanwhile who wants my crappy Hulk in vfk?

dotalchemy
Jul 16, 2012

~SMcD

MOAR posted:

Thrown out of Goonwaffe for inactivity no doubt - I'm going to power of 2 train a new alt then re-apply.

Meanwhile who wants my crappy Hulk in vfk?

Contract it to Gregor Lachlan. I'll find a newbie miner in Theta and give it to them.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
Nvm

MOAR
Mar 6, 2012

Death! Put your jacket on or you'll get frostbite!

dotalchemy posted:

Contract it to Gregor Lachlan. I'll find a newbie miner in Theta and give it to them.

Done, contract from 'Great White Shark'.

dotalchemy
Jul 16, 2012

~SMcD
Got it, will make sure it finds a good home with a newbie.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Humble Bundle's got EVE again. It looks like it might be worse than last time though.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Unguided posted:

Humble Bundle's got EVE again. It looks like it might be worse than last time though.

Civ 3 is a good game :colbert:

Rapner
May 7, 2013

'Selling' a 30 day trial for charity. How very :ccp:.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Unfunny Poster posted:

Yeah but Civ 5 is out and it has 2 more.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

dotalchemy posted:

Winning at Planetarion sounds very similar to winning at EVE.

seymore
Jan 9, 2012

dotalchemy posted:

I have not thought about Planetarion in a long time. It was sort of fun way back in the day, I played through the first couple of rounds when they started to charge money. I lost interest after that.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

eriktown posted:

IIRC at some point someone in GSF was working on a dedicated smartphone app that would do push notifications. I don't think it ended up going anywhere, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if the meta got to that point in the next couple of years.

Couldn't they just use Twitter or something? A dedicated push notification app feels unnecessary when there are so many other free and anonymous or pseudo-anonymous apps that already let you do that

e: I'm assuming that a Jabber app doesn't exist

Unfunny Poster posted:

Yeah, but Civ 4 fixed a lot of the things that were wrong in 3 and made a lot of other things better. Civ 3 is kind of a bastard child for the whole franchise at this point

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

There's a sale at Penny's!
Alpha Centauri is still the best.

Eve related: can I pay just a penny and get that 30-day thingamajig with the Humble Bundle?

seymore
Jan 9, 2012

Sorry for the double post.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

QuarkJets posted:

e: I'm assuming that a Jabber app doesn't exist

Jabber apps definitely exist, but are a pretty bad battery drain due to the way XMPP/Jabber protocol works.

Twitter is fine and dandy, but lacks a certain degree of operational security. Unless everyone else makes an altrenate twitter account for their Eve character, which, in retrospect doesn't seem that weird given my past and making MySpace accounts for MUD charcters; though, in current-spec, seems a bit laborious.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
Push notifications for broadcasts would be pretty sweet, none of the jabber apps ive used do this very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

Elmnt80 posted:

I've given my number to all of 4 internet spaceship people, 2 of which I've since met in real life. Its fine, just make sure the person you give the number to isn't a fuckwit.

I prefer using a private facebook group, since people are generally a lot less sensitive about facebook than they are about a phone number

Bedshaped posted:

I would definitely take the day off for a decent op with supers.
Maybe not a lovely station grind, but something that could potentially end in hostile super mails, or the possible destruction of my super.

If i had been working on the day of BR-5, I would have not gone in/or come home.
Im not sure this is being de-sensitized from reality, I wouldn't give much of a poo poo if some random space friend phoned my mother as long as the message got to me.

• Locked thread