Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012
I didn't know I needed a JoJo cooking manga, but now that I have seen it, I want more. :allears:

Sonata Mused posted:

Sadly, Megumi is going to lose. The reason why?

Yea, pretty much. At least we got a few good chapters out of the battle and the latest chapter more than makes up for it.

sunburnedcrow fucked around with this message at 08:26 on May 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009
Oh my god :allears::allears::allears::allears:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
That two-page spread is just fantastic. Every new chapter always seems to give me a big stupid grin.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I just wanted to make note of Yuki Morisaki, the collaborator who's credited in helping make this manga: http://shokugekinosoma.wikia.com/wiki/Yuki_Morisaki

It just seems really cool that she's a chef and a model and the fact that she's helping make up recipes for the manga is just extra points to her. I can admire anyone who can make up a karaage roll and a ridiculous dish such as soup de poisson ramen. :allears:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Isn't karaage just boneless fried chicken? Sticking that in a wrap isn't some unique innovation, though the specific wrapping they used was unusual.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Serious Frolicking posted:

Isn't karaage just boneless fried chicken? Sticking that in a wrap isn't some unique innovation, though the specific wrapping they used was unusual.

Well, the seasoning, batter and cooking method are different enough that I would call it it's own dish. But yeah, what they did is not all that unique. I think the point was to show the way you have to think to beat or bypass a business competitor, i.e. find a niche that they don't fill and dominate it.

Plus all this cooking stuff might as well be magic to most Japanese boys, remember that in Japan outside of professional cooking men just don't cook, it's seen as a womans job.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Looking at the stuff that gets emphasized, I'm pretty sure this manga assumes the reader knows absolutely zilch about cooking.

I cracked opened and separated the whites from the yolk by using the egg shell! Then I beat the yolk with a spoon and added seasoning! After I heated up and oiled my pan, I poured the mixture in and waited!

Voila: œufs brouillés

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Well, the seasoning, batter and cooking method are different enough that I would call it it's own dish. But yeah, what they did is not all that unique. I think the point was to show the way you have to think to beat or bypass a business competitor, i.e. find a niche that they don't fill and dominate it.

Plus all this cooking stuff might as well be magic to most Japanese boys, remember that in Japan outside of professional cooking men just don't cook, it's seen as a womans job.

I'm pretty sure Cooking Papa has been ongoing for about 20 years.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

It's flavored differently and generally not as dry as regular boneless fried chicken. But yeah it's not really unique. You would just need to finagle with some of the ingredients. Flour tortilla would probably be awful. Ooh maybe a naan wrap would work well.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Soylentbits posted:

It's flavored differently and generally not as dry as regular boneless fried chicken. But yeah it's not really unique. You would just need to finagle with some of the ingredients. Flour tortilla would probably be awful. Ooh maybe a naan wrap would work well.

Perhaps a very thin naan, or something like thin pizza crust, too much bread would mute the chicken's flavor.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

Looking at the stuff that gets emphasized, I'm pretty sure this manga assumes the reader knows absolutely zilch about cooking.

I cracked opened and separated the whites from the yolk by using the egg shell! Then I beat the yolk with a spoon and added seasoning! After I heated up and oiled my pan, I poured the mixture in and waited!

Voila: œufs brouillés

It helps me out a lot, I have no clue what on Earth anyone's doing as far as cooking goes without being shown.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I'm pretty sure Cooking Papa has been ongoing for about 20 years.

Yeah, and the dude isn't exactly telling everyone that he is a great cook, unless things have changed from the early chapters I read.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Captain McStabbin posted:

Yeah, and the dude isn't exactly telling everyone that he is a great cook, unless things have changed from the early chapters I read.

In fact he goes out of his way to hide it.

Nevileen
Jan 4, 2008
I literally burst out laughing at the jojo fanservice, holy poo poo. I did not expect that, but it was amazing.

I kind of hope megumi wins, but I don't think it's going to happen. :(

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Shokugeki-no-Soma/Ch-072--The--Jewels--Generation?id=198266

Megumiiiiiii ;_;

Drutten
Mar 30, 2011
At least her dish was so flavour-intense it ruined the director's underwear. In a good way, mind.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I'm sad she didn't win, but in the end she earned her classmates' respect (save the two assholes) and she put up a good fight instead of letting herself be trashed soundly. But Meguuuumiiii. :(

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
It would have been better if that moment was him remembering that he's deathly allergic to shellfish.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Drutten posted:

At least her dish was so flavour-intense it ruined the director's underwear. In a good way, mind.

without his knowledge as well! I think she still should have won because of how he stripped unconsciously. Megumi~ (´;ω;`)

Niel
Mar 5, 2013
The director unconsciously stripping his undies is both incredibly hilarious and also a really great way to justify Megumi's talent/potential after her loss. Though I was really rooting for her to win!

Overall, I think this match was overall pretty fun. I'm excited to see what's next.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I actually thought that he was going to realize that Kurokiba's dish gave him diarrhea.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Angry Grimace posted:

I actually thought that he was going to realize that Kurokiba's dish gave him diarrhea.

This is exactly what I thought. Dude just dumped a bunch of lovely spices and strong fish in, dude assblasts a toilet and hands her the win.

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.
About Megumi:

Furious Lobster posted:

without his knowledge as well! I think she still should have won because of how he stripped unconsciously. Megumi~ (´;ω;`)

Niel posted:

The director unconsciously stripping his undies is both incredibly hilarious and also a really great way to justify Megumi's talent/potential after her loss. Though I was really rooting for her to win!
It is a scientific fact that high school girls can make grown up men do that everyday of the week in Japan. It proves nothing.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I thought that he would have stripped, but couldn't due to the fact that his loincloth had come undone.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Shokugeki-no-Soma/Ch-073--Minding-The-Details?id=198903

New chapter out!

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
Could someone remind me what the "Hishoko" thing is all about? If it came up before, I just don't remember anything about it.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

The Evil Thing posted:

Could someone remind me what the "Hishoko" thing is all about? If it came up before, I just don't remember anything about it.

Hisho means secretary. Hisho + Hisako = Hishoko

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

jackofarcades posted:

Hisho means secretary. Hisho + Hisako = Hishoko

Thanks. I'd guessed it was some sort of pun, but I couldn't remember anyone calling her that before.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I think we can safely assume Takumi's going to get knocked out based on the fact he's fighting the biker guy, who I guess we have to call anal-retentive detail guy now.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Man, that poor turtle. gently caress Chinese cooking. :smith:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Eej posted:

Slaughtering any animal is about as gruesome.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It could have been worse. She could have been making lobster!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Eej posted:

To be fair, Turtle is loving delicious.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

Eej posted:

In that case, don't bother eating chicken, pork, or beef, because they are killed just as coldly. More so in fact, since most of it nowadays is automated, and the efficiency of these factories at killing animals would probably be something that a genocidal maniac would salivate at. Modern day grocery shopping has removed all the gross and "cruel" parts out of getting your food, so killing, gutting, skinning, and so forth is no longer necessary as long as you're willing to pay the money. It still doesn't stop meat from being delicious though, so I'll continue being as omnivorous as my ancestors.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

jwang posted:

In that case, don't bother eating chicken, pork, or beef, because they are killed just as coldly. More so in fact, since most of it nowadays is automated, and the efficiency of these factories at killing animals would probably be something that a genocidal maniac would salivate at. Modern day grocery shopping has removed all the gross and "cruel" parts out of getting your food, so killing, gutting, skinning, and so forth is no longer necessary as long as you're willing to pay the money. It still doesn't stop meat from being delicious though, so I'll continue being as omnivorous as my ancestors.

I remember, when I was younger, watching my dad essentially kill a chicken by grabbing it by the legs and slamming it's head onto hard ground. That's one of the old methods of killing an animal. I've seen it done with a snake (also live) and with a dog on Youtube.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

jwang posted:

Well no, they don't get brought out in front of a bunch of high school kids and have their heads chopped off so you can drain the fresh blood with a two page spread of how terrified it is when it has its head chopped off. It's a little different but hey at least half the audience and judges had the same reaction I did. I mean, we're not at the part where old dudes have their clothes fly off as they messily consume Ortolan underneath a napkin or something so it's not like this is some horrible sin the manga has committed.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

I've seen it done with a snake (also live) and with a dog on Youtube.

I remember being with my parents in a chinese restaurant one day, when one of the cooks came out with a snake and a knife.

I distinctly recall not touching the drink they served afterwards.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz
A true internet classic:

http://nothings.org/usenet/fts/1995/news0281.html

quote:

Can chicken have the angst-nature?

Yes. Yes it can.

- * -

My firm recently got the contract to design a chicken processing plant
for a nationwide poultry-raising/slaughtering company.

And down the rabbit hole you go ...

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Eej posted:

Well no, they don't get brought out in front of a bunch of high school kids and have their heads chopped off so you can drain the fresh blood with a two page spread of how terrified it is when it has its head chopped off. It's a little different but hey at least half the audience and judges had the same reaction I did. I mean, we're not at the part where old dudes have their clothes fly off as they messily consume Ortolan underneath a napkin or something so it's not like this is some horrible sin the manga has committed.

It's a culinary school. This is possibly the most socially acceptable place to publically kill an animal. That or a farm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?
I'm honestly surprised at how many of the students are grossed out by this. The guests I can understand, but breaking down a carcass is something taught in the first year at most culinary schools. It's really common when dealing with seafood too. When I buy a live fish at the supermarket, they club its head right behind the counter, and when you buy a lobster you generally kill it yourself. If you want to be humane, you plunge a knife into its head.